Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is the $800 million spread out over a number of years?

It is out of one year of funding from the budget from the office of Children and Family Services.

https://cnycentral.com/news/local/hochuls-proposed-nys-budget-cuts-children-and-family-services-funding-by-800m

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

It is out of one year of funding from the budget from the office of Children and Family Services.

https://cnycentral.com/news/local/hochuls-proposed-nys-budget-cuts-children-and-family-services-funding-by-800m

Maybe those children should have thought about how they could be more profitable

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Mr. Nice! posted:

The Bills better start bringing joy to both Children and Family

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

aside from the horrible economics of this how could you not build a dome

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

Holy poo poo it’s not even like a tourist tax where they tax hotel stays in the greater Buffalo area instead?

That’s gross.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Anyone who wants a Northwest New York team to have a dome hates football and also is a coward.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Maybe if those little kids want healthcare and food they should run a 4.2

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'm not saying there's a direct 1:1 relationship with dollars cut vs dollars spend on the stadium, but it's a real :thunk: moment to slash the budget of a vital service for many people across the state at the same time nearly the exact same dollar amount is being dedicated to a new football stadium.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm not saying there's a direct 1:1 relationship with dollars cut vs dollars spend on the stadium, but it's a real :thunk: moment to slash the budget of a vital service for many people across the state at the same time nearly the exact same dollar amount is being dedicated to a new football stadium.

Yeah, at the very least the optics are incredibly garbage. They’re usually better at obfuscating the harm they’re doing to coddle the billionaires.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I honestly figured after the way Stephen Ross did the hard rock stadium upgrades would be the future but alas nope New York fails where florida shines yet again

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Amy Pole Her posted:

I honestly figured after the way Stephen Ross did the hard rock stadium upgrades would be the future but alas nope New York fails where florida shines yet again

Ross self-funded because he had to- he basically got laughed at for asking for public money. It was a year after the Marlins burned Miami-Dade county, he threatened to move the team to Palm Beach(which was news to them), and then the state legislature ignored the bill he got someone to write to authorize funding. There was a whole big thing where Ross threatened to bankroll a challenger to the Speaker of the House(who I believe was term-limited anyway at that point).

Either way it was never going to happen because the Dolphins own their stadium, all but like 5 other teams are tenants in publicly owned stadiums. Stadium financing is incredibly shady and corrupt business to begin with- but it's a different thing entirely when you're talking about the public writing a big check to improve a privately held asset because uhhh Super Bowls.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

AndrewP posted:

Why the gently caress would you ever build a dome

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

AndrewP posted:

Why do you hate football?

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Snow games are great to watch on TV. Snow games tucked between two great lakes absolutely suck if you're a spectator.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Hamhandler posted:

Ross self-funded because he had to- he basically got laughed at for asking for public money. It was a year after the Marlins burned Miami-Dade county, he threatened to move the team to Palm Beach(which was news to them), and then the state legislature ignored the bill he got someone to write to authorize funding. There was a whole big thing where Ross threatened to bankroll a challenger to the Speaker of the House(who I believe was term-limited anyway at that point).

Either way it was never going to happen because the Dolphins own their stadium, all but like 5 other teams are tenants in publicly owned stadiums. Stadium financing is incredibly shady and corrupt business to begin with- but it's a different thing entirely when you're talking about the public writing a big check to improve a privately held asset because uhhh Super Bowls.

Every time Stephen Ross comes up I think people in here are are mad at me because I have a deluded sense of self importance

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Why do you hate football?

mainly because the wind makes it harder to pass and I'd be looking to do anything possible to make it easier for Josh Allen to chuck the ball around

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

AndrewP posted:

mainly because the wind makes it harder to pass and I'd be looking to do anything possible to make it easier for Josh Allen to chuck the ball around

Break out the fullbacks and :schotty:

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I don’t think there are any owners that aren’t completely awful human beings. Paul Allen at least was hands off beyond spending money and hiring people to run things. He loved football but knew there were people much smarter than him about it

I worked at Microsoft in the early 90s and so I worked with old timers who’d have stories about the execs. Never heard a bad word about Paul Allen. Gates and Ballmer on the other hand…

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

And this is how I find out Lovie is a head coach again! I know I missed a couple weeks worth of news there, but did they really fire Culley after a respectable season (all things considered) just to hire Lovie?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Hamhandler posted:

Yeah, he had the backup plan already engaged with that one Dolphins president who shows up on Shark Tank a lot.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Cat Hassler posted:

I don’t think there are any owners that aren’t completely awful human beings. Paul Allen at least was hands off beyond spending money and hiring people to run things. He loved football but knew there were people much smarter than him about it

I worked at Microsoft in the early 90s and so I worked with old timers who’d have stories about the execs. Never heard a bad word about Paul Allen. Gates and Ballmer on the other hand…

I had the chance to spectate a meeting or two with Lurie, who was donating to our health system's efforts to fight COVID, and he seemed pretty nice. Smart guy, too. Was, like, surprisingly up on the science.

I'm sure there's probably plenty of bad to be said about the guy, but I've always considered him one of the better people to own a team.

Edit: Lurie, not Laurie. Thanks, phone.

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 29, 2022

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Cat Hassler posted:

I worked for Microsoft for 15 years and know many that were before my time. We should talk...

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Cat Hassler posted:

so spill

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Gates was like Michael Jordan in terms of being better than anyone and similarly would eviscerate people who weren’t up to his standards

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Toaster Beef posted:

I had the chance to spectate a meeting or two with Laurie, who was donating to our health system's efforts to fight COVID, and he seemed pretty nice. Smart guy, too. Was, like, surprisingly up on the science.

I'm sure there's probably plenty of bad to be said about the guy, but I've always considered him one of the better people to own a team.

Lurie is cool as he got his money making bad movies or something which is pretty tame by rich people standards

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

Anyone who wants a Northwest New York team to have a dome hates football and also is a coward.

This guy gets it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

nikosoft posted:

And this is how I find out Lovie is a head coach again! I know I missed a couple weeks worth of news there, but did they really fire Culley after a respectable season (all things considered) just to hire Lovie?

The Texans were kinda forced to since the optics of firing a decent black coach to hire Josh McCown would've been terrible.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Those kids should have learned to break tables if they wanted to keep eating.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Lovie showed up at my high school one Friday night while he was the bears hc to support his kid playing on the opposing football team and was incredibly chill about meeting a bunch of high schoolers, so he’s alright in my book

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

nikosoft posted:

They were going to hire Josh McCown but then Brian Flores sued the league, and Lovie was suddenly hired as their coach out of nowhere.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mr. Nice! posted:

They were going to hire Josh McCown

Is Josh McCown coaching somewhere above high school or looking for a job?

Seems like all he needs is the slightest bit of plausible deniability for the Texans and he's got job after Lovie predictably won't be able to do a whole lot with their roster. I have zero clue what they see in him, but it seems like he just has to do the tiniest bit of work here.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
He really really likes Jesus. You probably also don't kick around the league for as long as he did as a clipboard/starter guy and not understand how the game works really well.

But yeah he coaches a high school team. Gotta at least do some college work before getting a head coaching gig in the NFL.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The dream is over.
https://twitter.com/nick_underhill/status/1508781680177430534

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

How long before Hill leaves to go play baseball?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Cat Hassler posted:

Gates was like Michael Jordan in terms of being better than anyone and similarly would eviscerate people who weren’t up to his standards

That’s funny; I remember an anecdote about some clock widget on early Windows that he programmed that some other programmer tore to pieces in front of him, not realizing Gates had made it

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

SKULL.GIF posted:

How long before Hill leaves to go play baseball?

He's not.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

The behind the bastard on Bill gates is wild

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

They'd save about $4m cutting Hill next offseason, which means he's as good as gone

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Nvm

latinotwink1997 fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Mr. Nice! posted:

Dont worry guys, kids in NY are doing fine. After all only about 1 in 10 public school students in NYC are homeless. nbd

https://www.thecity.nyc/education/2021/11/8/22770243/more-than-100000-nyc-students-are-homeless-new-report-finds

Ornery and Hornery posted:

The behind the bastard on Bill gates is wild

he's a monstrous piece of poo poo who's had his image completely redone by laundering money through the rich people donation machine. Bezos is going to do the same thing bc we collectively have the memory of a goldfish and just regurgitate whatever slop the media feeds us. See all the dummies foaming at the mouth thinking about the idea we should start a war with russia over ukraine all of ~9 mos after horrifically botching the afghanistan exit. We're dumb piggies.