Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Ok well look up how the guy who bought the company died thats still p fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
lol I forgot Segway was right after 9/11 too

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Ok well look up how the guy who bought the company died thats still p fun

"Cause of death Accidental fall off cliff while riding a Segway"

"[Ninebot] announced in June 2020 it would no longer make a two-wheeled, self-balancing product"

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Platystemon posted:

The most dangerous caliber of bullet is .22.
golden labs bite more people than any other breed

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Look up how the Segway guy died.

If you mean the inventor, Dean Kamen, he is actually p cool and also alive

He has invented some really amazing poo poo including the ibot wheelchair, of which the segway was a developmental offshoot

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

its always funny to me that someone invented skateboarding and was having so much fun with the prototype they just shipped it as is instead of figuring out how to integrate some kind of brakes on them.

That said, e-skateboards have brakes, very very good brakes, and they are probably the leading cause of injury for e-skate owners. its basically a rider catapult function.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

The Bloop posted:

If you mean the inventor, Dean Kamen, he is actually p cool and also alive

He has invented some really amazing poo poo including the ibot wheelchair, of which the segway was a developmental offshoot

I assume they mean the CEO who died driving his Segway off a cliff

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Laserface posted:

That said, e-skateboards have brakes, very very good brakes, and they are probably the leading cause of injury for e-skate owners. its basically a rider catapult function.

I assume these monowheel things work the same way, where it can stop the wheel from turning almost instantly if necessary but can do nothing to stop the delicate sack of meat on top from continuing to fly forward.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I had a friend for a minute who got a one wheel and was just the biggest fan

ate poo poo rolling down an asphalt road and lost a bunch of teeth from the impact

pass, personally

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

withak posted:

I assume these monowheel things work the same way, where it can stop the wheel from turning almost instantly if necessary but can do nothing to stop the delicate sack of meat on top from continuing to fly forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB7XBBDul_A

They get death wobbles when you apply the brake at high speeds lol

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

My friend who rides everywhere on one of those things treats his safety about as seriously as he can while riding one, wearing a motorcycle helmet and a moderately tough jacket.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7072176557019647275

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

withak posted:

If I've got my physics correct your feet will also stop in place, meaning you pivot and power-drive your face into the pavement with the force of leverage.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
After these stories I'm assuming everyone riding a big stupid electric wheel had bought it secondhand from a man who no longer has a face.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

But yah looks like crashing one of those is like falling off a skateboard, probably a gentler fall than from a bike

the guy in the video was in traffic and going like 40 mph tho lol

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

The Lone Badger posted:

If I've got my physics correct your feet will also stop in place, meaning you pivot and power-drive your face into the pavement with the force of leverage.

Only if you have those ones with like leg straps/braces, otherwise you'll go flying

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

ymgve posted:

I assume they mean the CEO who died driving his Segway off a cliff

quote:

The millionaire owner of the Segway company has died after falling from cliffs while riding one of his firm's motorised scooters.
Jimi Heselden, 62, crashed into the River Wharfe while riding the vehicle round his estate in Thorp Arch, Boston Spa, West Yorkshire, on Sunday.

this is weird because the river bank is not a cliff. Thorp Arch is a bridge that goes over the river (the river is about 25m wide) and is about 15 feet off the ground.

e: oh haha he found the one cliff:

quote:

Mr Heselden's death came just a week after he became one of the UK's most generous philanthropists, giving away £10million to a foundation he set up in 2008
he died just a 5min walk from what looks like a sewerage treatment plant lmao good riddance

i am harry has issued a correction as of 04:52 on Mar 29, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

blastron posted:

My friend who rides everywhere on one of those things treats his safety about as seriously as he can while riding one, wearing a motorcycle helmet and a moderately tough jacket.

Gangs of these gonna be roaming the cities after the event

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

i am harry posted:

lmao good riddance

... why?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

yeah, the centre of gravity (the rider) is all way up high. Same with skateboards hitting a rock/e-skateboards with brakes. if you hit the brakes on either of these things you had better have shifted all your weight all the way back instantly. I dont even think youd be able to emergency stop effectively on an e-board, they stop on a fuckin dime (because they immediately eject the rider/all the weight)

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

quote:

The millionaire owner of the Segway company

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I'll be honest the idea that donating 10 million pounds sterling makes you one of the most generous philanthropists in uk history was a surprising thing to read

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

A Bakers Cousin posted:

I'll be honest the idea that donating 10 million pounds sterling makes you one of the most generous philanthropists in uk history was a surprising thing to read

there hasn't been actual genuine philanthropy in the west in the past like 40 years, it's not hard to beat

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
A couple months ago I was boarding home and this one lady was walking to her car erratically while talking to people while not at all paying attention while completely blocking my path and being generally unpredictable, so I slowed down a lot and generally coasted around waiting for the path to clear.

At my greatly reduced speed, I hit a weird bump in the sidewalk and instantly crashed straight down into the ground. Broke 1 rib and dislocated another just from the leverage. I can't picture surviving an eboard/MUC crash.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

imagine this, freshly oiled wood bannister. the oil gets on the step

you're wearing socks, you slip. full leverage because the fall originates at the step, you fall down several steps. also you were walking backwards at 40 miles an hour

those monowheels at least remove the step aspect, you fall onto flat ground

edit: yes I'm dirkning

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
the solution is obvious: everyone gets a wall-e chair

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Antonymous posted:

imagine this, freshly oiled wood bannister. the oil gets on the step

you're wearing socks, you slip. full leverage because the fall originates at the step, you fall down several steps. also you were walking backwards at 40 miles an hour

those monowheels at least remove the step aspect, you fall onto flat ground

edit: yes I'm dirkning

I am protected.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

looking forward to the follow-up to this classic where some omega generation coffees-getter self-annihilates into a pink smear after hacking devmode on their eboard/euc to get around the speed limiter

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shrecknet posted:

golden labs bite more people than any other breed

You might want to double check your source, because there is no such breed as golden labs. There are golden retrievers and labrador retrievers, but they aren't the same breed. Similar temperament and both very popular breeds, so it could be either one.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Facebook Aunt posted:

You might want to double check your source, because there is no such breed as golden labs. There are golden retrievers and labrador retrievers, but they aren't the same breed. Similar temperament and both very popular breeds, so it could be either one.

They're designer mutts, like my Bernedoodle.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
one wheel is dumb why not electric roller skates. then you dont need a fancy gyro

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

A Bakers Cousin posted:

there's a negative correlation between wealth and charitable spending

which seems obvious but goddamn there is a lot of propaganda trying to convince you the opposite

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Rutibex posted:

one wheel is dumb why not electric roller skates. then you dont need a fancy gyro

each foot would need an independently throttled motor which would be a massive pain in the rear end to coordinate unless you're controlling them from a bluetooth codpiece, and also an even bigger pain in the rear end if they don't have some kind of restriction that prevents the user from just jamming both throttles at max when their feet aren't perfectly aligned.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Facebook Aunt posted:

I think that was the point, since it's a reply about .22 being the most lethal bullet. lots of bites but probably less bites per million dogs than some other breeds

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

actionjackson posted:

the guy in the video was in traffic and going like 40 mph tho lol

ride a skateboard down a hill in traffic and you're there, dude

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

the thrill of greatly endangering your delicate meat sac to go down hill fast

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

blastron posted:

I don't get the urge to fling your squishy body around upright at 40mph. Buy an ebike

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Grapplejack posted:

there hasn't been actual genuine philanthropy in the west in the past like 40 years, it's not hard to beat

Also, giving money to a foundation you set up and control is like moving money from your right pocket to your left pocket and claiming it's charity.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Rich people donating money to the philanthropic foundation of their creation is not loving philanthropy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Finally finished my video on the absolutely cursed poo poo I saw at SXSW Interactive (if you'll forgive the youtubeish thumbnail)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-BTtcsdPxM

highlights:

7:27 Gen Z, Metaverse and the Future of Work
A panel in which a group claims to have made a learn-to-earn campus on the blockchain to prepare students to work in the metaverse.

12:07 FLUF - Imagining a Sustainable Metaverse
An NFT group who claims their NFTs are not only climate neutral but climate positive because of carbon credit donations.

21:11 The Future of Influence Doesn't Involve Humans
A panel where a guy pretending to be a vtuber AI character zoom calls in.