Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Deptfordx posted:

I feel like Elfstones was alright.

I tried rereading 80's fantasy classics a few years ago to see how they held up. Dragonlance, Feist, Eddings etc There was a whole lot of DNF, Dragonlance in particular was basically unreadable as an Adult. But I still quite enjoyed Elfstones.

Elfstones was alright, sure. I'll freely admit that one of my fondest memories of reading a book was staying up til 3 am to burn through the last quarter or so of Wishsong in a feverish marathon just to see how it all played out.

Wil Ohmsford was still a loser who magically irradiated his balls to figuratively carry a printer for the elf lady who turned into a tree, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Asterite34 posted:

magically irradiated his balls

OK I need to read these books actually

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i re-read ElfQuest recently and while the original quest holds up and was even better than i remember, holy mother of pearl everything after it is so much worse than i remembered

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I think I have a bunch of dragonlance and D&D books like the Drizzt series somewhere. Also some demon gem war saga that RA Salvatore wrote. I was a pretty big fan of his as a teenager and young adult. Probably made me a worse person in the end.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Stealthgerbil posted:

I think I have a bunch of dragonlance and D&D books like the Drizzt series somewhere. Also some demon gem war saga that RA Salvatore wrote. I was a pretty big fan of his as a teenager and young adult. Probably made me a worse person in the end.

the icewind dale books are boring but totally inoffensive. very much like a description of an RPG.

i think i read only the first two Drizzt trilogies and i vaguely remember some weird kinky stuff about witch orgies or something and that Drizzt was super boring

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
like, i'm pretty sure Drizzt had this arch nemesis across many many books named Artemis, and literally the only thing about him was "he does swords good, like Drizzt".

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

yea that assassin's whole deal was drizzt was his nemesis because they are both really good at using swords or whatever and artemis had to be the best. its that trope which we all know has been done over and over so much.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
I did read the Dragonlance series, or the first two trilogies, decades ago, and I was too mentally regressed due to undiagnosed autism/Asperger's to notice its flaws (hell, I even read Pier Anthony's infamous Firefly and even ITS grossness flew over my head), but people keep saying that they, and Drizzt, read way too much like a story made of a D&D campaign. And I just wondered, how? Do the fights read like people rolled dice to decide the order? Do they really drive home that each character has 'a class'? Do they repeatedly do the same move over the books? I recall someone mentioned how the heroes got stuck and then some guy called Paladine literally dropped gryphons on them to get them somewhere, which was an analogy for when the DM railroaded IIRC, but I'm interested in details.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

precision posted:

the icewind dale books are boring but totally inoffensive. very much like a description of an RPG.

i think i read only the first two Drizzt trilogies and i vaguely remember some weird kinky stuff about witch orgies or something and that Drizzt was super boring

His half-sister was a priestess in the orgy and his lame self wussed out of the action and ran off.

What a lame-o.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Drizzt died to some adventurers who locked him in a house full of skeletons and acid fog in Balders Gate.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Cornwind Evil posted:

I did read the Dragonlance series, or the first two trilogies, decades ago, and I was too mentally regressed due to undiagnosed autism/Asperger's to notice its flaws (hell, I even read Pier Anthony's infamous Firefly and even ITS grossness flew over my head), but people keep saying that they, and Drizzt, read way too much like a story made of a D&D campaign. And I just wondered, how? Do the fights read like people rolled dice to decide the order? Do they really drive home that each character has 'a class'? Do they repeatedly do the same move over the books? I recall someone mentioned how the heroes got stuck and then some guy called Paladine literally dropped gryphons on them to get them somewhere, which was an analogy for when the DM railroaded IIRC, but I'm interested in details.

yes

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

OzyMandrill posted:

The first one is such a blatantly transparent rip off of the lord of the rings, just utterly shameless.

Shannara or Wheel of Time?

Trick question: Both.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Re: Tolkein influence, one of the best descriptors I ever read of China Mieville's books (they are mostly good go read them) is:

"Standard fantasy from an alternate world where Peake's Gormenghast defined the genre rather than Tolkein.

They really do escape the influence for the most part.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kharnifex posted:

Drizzt died to some adventurers who locked him in a house full of skeletons and acid fog in Balders Gate.

i looked up the way he actually dies and it's even lamer than this

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I think deathstar lands on him or something

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Atopian posted:

Re: Tolkein influence, one of the best descriptors I ever read of China Mieville's books (they are mostly good go read them) is:

"Standard fantasy from an alternate world where Peake's Gormenghast defined the genre rather than Tolkein.

They really do escape the influence for the most part.

Likewise, Gaiman described Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell as being from a world where Lud-in-the-Mist was the foundation of the genre.

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 29, 2022

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Deptfordx posted:

I feel like Elfstones was alright.

I tried rereading 80's fantasy classics a few years ago to see how they held up. Dragonlance, Feist, Eddings etc There was a whole lot of DNF, Dragonlance in particular was basically unreadable as an Adult. But I still quite enjoyed Elfstones.

I got to the party late on Dragonlance; I don't think I read those until I was out of high school. I never really saw the appeal :shrug:

IIRC they call out both the exact name and level of numerous of Raistlin's spells, especially at the big showdown with the evil-mage-guild-whatever

Wheel of Time is not good, but i sort of owe it to myself to finish it. I just can't read A Shadow Rising again....... :smith:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Kchama posted:

Shannara or Wheel of Time?

Trick question: Both.

wot wasn't a straight copy of lotr, it's essentially a coming of age story with some novel ideas, but its execution wasn't good

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Vampire Panties posted:

I got to the party late on Dragonlance; I don't think I read those until I was out of high school. I never really saw the appeal :shrug:

IIRC they call out both the exact name and level of numerous of Raistlin's spells, especially at the big showdown with the evil-mage-guild-whatever

Wheel of Time is not good, but i sort of owe it to myself to finish it. I just can't read A Shadow Rising again....... :smith:

lol that was one of the better wot books, so if you don't like even that one then you should read something you like more. no one should feel obligated to waste time reading novels they don't like. if you want to find out what happens, check wikipedia

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

ChubbyChecker posted:

wot wasn't a straight copy of lotr, it's essentially a coming of age story with some novel ideas, but its execution wasn't good

It wasn't a straight copy but it was still a very transparent and shameless ripoff.

Also the 'coming of age' aspect is pretty silly when you learn that Rand's twenty years old, despite the first book being written like he was 12.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

WoT Book 1: "gently caress, I'm running out of book and they're nowhere near the action. Better put in a warp zone."
Book 2: "Here's a completely different kind of warp zone to get to somewhere else."

Didn't read book 3, decided to cut my losses there.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

super sweet best pal posted:

WoT Book 1: "gently caress, I'm running out of book and they're nowhere near the action. Better put in a warp zone."
Book 2: "Here's a completely different kind of warp zone to get to somewhere else."

There's at least two other warp zones IIRC.

ChubbyChecker posted:

lol that was one of the better wot books, so if you don't like even that one then you should read something you like more. no one should feel obligated to waste time reading novels they don't like. if you want to find out what happens, check wikipedia

WoT is a weird one for me - I started reading it in 6th grade (I actually think I read Eye of the World & The Great Hunt before I read LOTR) and I was obsessed. I read and re-read and read all of those books again. I cut class my senior year to pick up my pre-ordered copy of A Crown Of Swords from Waldenbooks and devoured it in 24 hours. I didn't really have friends in middle school or high school, so I hung the gently caress out with Lan and Moiriane. Eventually I got a job and a car and graduated and moved on and stopped reading them, specifically because I couldn't keep up with all of the names and subtle references without going back and rereading 7 or 8 or 9 books. I always said I would sit down and re-read them all once the series was complete, and I've spoiled the ending for myself on various wiki sites so I know that the ending is actually worth reading, but yeah.... I used to read 12 books in a month without question, and now I read less than 12 books a year.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

super sweet best pal posted:

I have a deep and unholy love for Hugh Cook's Chronicles of an Age of Darkness series, which often reads like he's having arguments (or occasionally agreeing) with whichever sff author he read most recently. There's 10 books in the series; the first 5 are basically all simultaneous with different POV spread over a couple of continents but after that he decided to set the next 2 on one small island because, according to him, he was absolutely pig sick of having to manoeuvre his characters all over the map to get them to the meetups and places his plot demanded and wanted to just have them walk places for a change.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

precision posted:

ah right. I tend to lump all pre-90s sci fi into one big pile, and forget that the guys in the 50s were even worse

If you think it was bad in the 50s, check out some stuff from the generation before that.

Ah, this reminds me of a gloriously wonderful moment from an old Edmond Hamilton story. "The Star-Stealers". This thing was written in the late 1920s, Hamilton was one of the foundational space opera writers. We didn't know about how stars work by nuclear fusion yet. So it's a hundred thousand years in the future and humanity has colonized the entire solar system, have an advanced culture with very little recognizable from our time, and is part of a wider galactic civilization with many many aliens; we contribute starships to the common space patrol, to keep peace and justice across the galaxy. So there's an extragalactic threat with tentacle monsters that try to steal the Sun because their own sun has gone out. Now the story follows a human-crewed ship, and one of the few named (and surviving) characters is a young female flight officer... amazingly, for something written in the 1920s, she's described as being exactly as tough and competent as the men, and I don't think the author even wastes a word on describing her appearance (not that he spent much on any of the characters, each of them was just there to do a job in the story). But. However. At the very end, once the tentacle monsters are defeated and the survivors get to go home for a victory parade and some well-deserved R&R... she heads straight to a beauty parlor, as is ever the unchanging way of her sex. I died laughing.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Cornwind Evil posted:

4) Seriously. Just. Don't. Even IF you're normal and trying to do commentary on the most extreme deviances of relationships in the vein of Lolita, that book said it best and it's STILL skin crawling with how easy it is to emphasize with the narrator when all you see is what he sees. You won't succeed. Just don't.

4b) Really. You are not Nabokov. Don't.

n+1) Don't be a loving Nazi either.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Empty Sandwich posted:

one of the main characters in Shannara is named Allanon and every time his name came up I thought "well, I'm glad he's getting help"

I remember absolutely nothing else from the book or books that I read

I read them when I was 8, and they were amazing.

I'm glad I got better.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

thoughts and prayers posted:

I read them when I was 8, and they were amazing.

I'm glad I got better.

LOL, yeah. I was feeling a bit bad about all the terrible books I read as a kid. Whole series of bad books. Then I remembered that I read constantly. 4-5 novels a week by junior high. Of course I read a bunch of dodgy stuff, I was reading hundreds of books per year of whatever was available in the local libraries.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Caesar Saladin posted:

I read Lord of Light and found it to be one of the most awesomely creative sci fi books I've read. What else of his is good?

Eye of Cat is excellent. It's also one of Zelazny's personal favorites.

It's based on Navajo mythology, which is rare and refreshing, and like many of his books of that era, also a total acid trip.

IMO the parts that struck me most were these small interludes sprinkled throughout, of several of the Gods and what they personify. Coyote was hilarious, because he really is the trickster god, who has great ideas but always goes too far and ends up tricking himself. (Yeah, it's obvious where Loony Tunes Coyote comes from.) Over the course of the book, I could feel these inform the inner journey of the protagonist, in a different way than a straightforward narrative would have.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Cornwind Evil posted:

The first Dragonlance trilogy is explicitly a novelization of the D&D campaign that inspired it, so yes, it reads like that on purpose.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Isn't there a new-ish genre where they do away with even the veneer of it being an actual world and just stat out characters and poo poo?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
We don't discuss anime here!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They're actual books I believe. Well "actual books" may be stretching it. I'd never sully the bad fantasy book thread with anime.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Dude had some rough edges of his time, but for his time he was impressively not hosed up.
And his prose is utter delight, at times poetry.

Edit: referring to Zelazny, didn't see the intervening posts.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Groovelord Neato posted:

Isn't there a new-ish genre where they do away with even the veneer of it being an actual world and just stat out characters and poo poo?

LitRPG. It's as soul-destroying as it sounds.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Facebook Aunt posted:

LOL, yeah. I was feeling a bit bad about all the terrible books I read as a kid. Whole series of bad books. Then I remembered that I read constantly. 4-5 novels a week by junior high. Of course I read a bunch of dodgy stuff, I was reading hundreds of books per year of whatever was available in the local libraries.

Old SF and Fantasy used to be waayyy shorter as well.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Groke posted:

However. At the very end, once the tentacle monsters are defeated and the survivors get to go home for a victory parade and some well-deserved R&R... she heads straight to a beauty parlor, as is ever the unchanging way of her sex. I died laughing.

I think it's really hokey and silly, kind of cringey in that old time sexist way, but realistically I think I would want a haircut and a mani after a long space voyage and defeating a monster, especially if I were to be in a parade!

Like, how did you even cut your hair in space? Clippings all over! Miserable!

If you turn it on its head, it's kind of a reasonable reaction, though the writer was just being a patronizing, typical example of his type.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Runcible Cat posted:

I know someone who wrote(writes?) this. She said she had to keep track of all the character stats and actions so the turbo nerd readers wouldn't be able to pour over the plot and point out that some character wouldn't actually have been able to do that today.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Runcible Cat posted:

Yes but you get to pad your writing with walls of text like

code:
Background Wizard Character We'll Never See Again

69 HP

420 MP

Strength: Not much, he's a nerd

Intelligence: Knows a lot of spells

A magic wizard from the land of wizard town. He knows secrets and will unlock a quest if you beat him up.
And then the next few sentences are the main character fighting him. I'd have said "next paragraph", but it's broken up with the attacks each getting their own line. And then the hero gets a quest, which is basically just another wall of text explaining the plot for the next chapter.

I should probably cash in on this.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Spazzle posted:

I know someone who wrote(writes?) this. She said she had to keep track of all the character stats and actions so the turbo nerd readers wouldn't be able to pour over the plot and point out that some character wouldn't actually have been able to do that today.

I remember years ago on goon safari to the TVTropes forum we found someone who must've been close to Patient Zero for this trend. He was agonising in one of their writer advice threads about how he was having trouble with his character's first boss fight because he only had 3 healing potions and that wasn't enough and he had to win that fight because he got his girlfriend as a rare drop at the end of it and god how we mocked that. Had we but known...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Just the description of LitRPG the first time I encountered it in the wild was enough to give me a hard Nope! on ever reading any.