Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Alopecia is sometimes funny

I still think "hey, it's the alpaca" whenever Ed Begley, Jr. appears in something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

someone needs to jojo this up real goddamn bad

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

checkplease posted:

Best tracks on Dune soundtrack? Gotta listen to it again now that’s it’s a winner.

just lol if your not sardaukar throat singing 24/7

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Don't Look Up had the best score of 2021 tho. Love my Succession guy Britell

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/BobaFatt/status/1508383692464570370?s=20&t=1joEUaCysRQUYcDdCID7vQ

https://twitter.com/BINGCHlLLING/status/1508504292415606787?t=mv6MGlMGR943FAWPzF3v2A&s=19

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Mar 29, 2022

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I wish Will Smith would slap Clint Eastwood to death.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

lol

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Ai-yai-yai, the pearl clutching about a mediocre joke compared to the normalisation of violence is genuinely odd.

As is claiming Chris Rock's joke is sexist without considering the gender implications of what Will Smith did.

Will Smith was publicly humiliated in the public consciousness with the August Alsina 'entanglements' debacle, with memes galore about him being a cuck.

Attacking Chris Rock and the tirade "leave my wife's name out of it" (notably the emphasis being on the possessive quality of it - a male ego contest - not calling her 'Jada' etc.,) was an unleashing of that and a projection of trying to be an alpha male, meanwhile looking insecure and out of control instead.

Women are capable of speaking for themselves - men punching other men for violating their 'possessions' because the other men joked about them, is not a good thing to encourage. If Jada Pinkett-Smith was upset with the joke, she could have spoke out afterwards etc., using her own voice. Instead Will robbed her of that in an act of violent narcissism. "It's the role of men to protect women by beating up men who make jokes about women, who should never be joked about" is not a progressive attitude.

Have you ever been in a fight?

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

I've been in some .... hairy situations

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
someone should slap john wayne imo

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

In that case, you know that there is some nuance here. I'm not trying to make some kind of 'badass test' to bar people from talking, but asked because the way you've described what happened is strange. Like your analysis of this incident includes the righteousness of punching/someone getting beat up for making innocuous comments and alpha/cuck rhetoric, when what happened was Rock getting checked.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

So yeah no you haven’t

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Perhaps Will Smith should have bludgeoned Chris Rock to death. Maybe with a rock for real irony

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Uh oh, we got some punchers in the crowd tonight

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Chris rocks

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

KVeezy3 posted:

In that case, you know that there is some nuance here. I'm not trying to make some kind of 'badass test' to bar people from talking, but asked because the way you've described what happened is strange. Like your analysis of this incident includes the righteousness of punching/someone getting beat up for making innocuous comments and alpha/cuck rhetoric, when what happened was Rock getting checked.

This is real dumb, and if you're going to play the "do you fight" card, I'd encourage you to stop by the martial arts thread and ask people who actually know how to fight what they think about slapping as a form of social sanction. Escalating a situation to make it physical makes it more dangerous in basically all cases. And if the person getting slapped has as poor impulse control as the person doing the slapping, then what? You're going to explain that you weren't actually starting a fight, just "checking", while they take a swing at you? The idea that it's alright to put your hands on someone because they insulted you or yours is childish and socially poisonous.

e: On top of the fact that "this person was out of line and needed to be checked" is used as justification for all kinds of physical abuse, and is basically always a rationale for "I got really mad and wanted to hit them." Even if there was a good reason for the person to be upset, it's still a rationalization.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 29, 2022

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

I did not say it was a socially good/neutral thing to do. What I was pushing back against was the description of what happened as Smith as beating up/punching out Rock to repress his cucking.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Mechafunkzilla posted:

This is real dumb, and if you're going to play the "do you fight" card, I'd encourage you to stop by the martial arts thread and ask people who actually know how to fight what they think about slapping as a form of social sanction. Escalating a situation to make it physical makes it more dangerous in basically all cases. And if the person getting slapped has as poor impulse control as the person doing the slapping, then what? You're going to explain that you weren't actually starting a fight, just "checking", while they take a swing at you? The idea that it's alright to put your hands on someone because they insulted you or yours is a childish, socially poisonous idea.

There are plenty of martial arts dorks who have no idea how to fight. And plenty of people who do know how to fight who are perfectly fine with fighting as a means of resolving disputes.

And in this case they were on live television, are both rich men, and were surrounded security. I don’t think there was any concern that it would turn into an actual fight.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
chris rock got slapped by a rich person

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

KVeezy3 posted:

I did not say it was a socially good/neutral thing to do. What I was pushing back against was the description of what happened as Smith as beating up/punching out Rock to repress his cucking.

KVeezy3 posted:

Have you ever been in a fight?

KVeezy3 posted:

lmao, roflmao

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

chris rock got slapped by a rich person

gently caress yeah he did!

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Ai-yai-yai, the pearl clutching about a mediocre joke compared to the normalisation of violence is genuinely odd.

The only justified pearl clutching is my pearl clutching!

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Yeah I'm on the side of dumb jokes more than hitting people

being pro-slap is the 2022 version of the 2007 version of wearing a fedora

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jokes hurt people too.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Yeah I'm on the side of dumb jokes more than hitting people

being pro-slap is the 2022 version of the 2007 version of wearing a fedora

It’s bad that the slap happened because it’s caused you to post in this thread, where I ended up reading the posts.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

CelticPredator posted:

Jokes hurt people too.

https://twitter.com/nezumi_ningen/status/1508541900093018121?t=2JddKUU8fB8WfTZG4XE2lA&s=19

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hell yeah

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Andy Dick was also partially responsible for Hartmans murder on top of it

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

I'm willing to eat poo poo on this comment because I'm white AF, but it was also kind of bizarre to make a jab about a Black lady with a shaved head because that's not that unusual. Not that it would be okay if she was a different race, but I didn't know about Jada's condition, and she didn't look out of the ordinary to me. I have friends and coworkers who have chosen to go pretty close to shaved. I feel like with the context after the fact it felt kinda hard to not to feel like he knew about the condition was being actively lovely.

But then again, the whole, "Javier you're gonna sleep on the couch if you win and Penelope doesn't! WOKA WOKA" bit points to Rock just kinda being a hack these days.

Black women have a lot of hair issues because they grew up having to burn their hair to hell just to fit in to society because society says black hair is wrong. A lot of black women completely ruin their hair by old age and start losing it for this reason. Don't make fun of a black woman's hair for that reason (and Chris Rock made a documentary about this very subject!)

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

'Checking' people in order to get people to stop insulting you or your loved ones isn't really a thing in the UK. People don't go around slapping each other in order to enforce good behaviour, and if they do they are very likely to get their head kicked in. But then again health care is free should that happen.

There was the happy slapping moral panic but that was a whole other thing.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 29, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Karloff posted:

'Checking’ people in order to get people to stop insulting you or your loved ones isn’t really a thing in the UK. People don't go around slapping each other in order to enforce good behaviour, and if they do they are very likely to get their head kicked in.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
THe subtext of the joke andy dick made about phil hartman ("I made his wife kill him and I'll do it to your wife too") is inarguably far worse than the one chris rock made ("lol you have a no hair disease")

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Karloff posted:

'Checking' people in order to get people to stop insulting you or your loved ones isn't really a thing in the UK. People don't go around slapping each other in order to enforce good behaviour, and if they do they are very likely to get their head kicked in. But then again health care is free should that happen.

This makes me think of a Doug Stanhope bit about how England is more dangerous and everyone's always fighting cause no one has guns and healthcare is free.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Karloff posted:

and that's why you still have royalty and Keir Starmer

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

BiggestBatman posted:

THe subtext of the joke andy dick made about phil hartman ("I made his wife kill him and I'll do it to your wife too") is inarguably far worse than the one chris rock made ("lol you have a no hair disease")

what's the joke that is just exactly bad enough to justify a physical response

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
don't worry, your posts aren't THAT bad

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Karloff posted:

i guess you don't listen to drill

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

checkplease posted:

Best tracks on Dune soundtrack? Gotta listen to it again now that’s it’s a winner.
"Chani's Eyes," though "Ecolove" is a solid runner-up.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
It was a pretty serious blow—lol if you don’t think you could get PTSD from something like that.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

THE C. ROCK WAS VERY PROFESSIONAL. KUDOS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It’s bad that the slap happened because it’s caused you to post in this thread, where I ended up reading the posts.