Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Beefeater1980 posted:

This (a) purports to be a secret document signed by a Very Important Person; and (b) conveniently addresses a recent event (allegations that Ukrainians have been mistreating POWs). Absent outside corroboration, this one’s a fake.

The letter has been debunked now; the signature is fake. Also, the shooting video has been geolocated, Eastern outskirts of Kharkiv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Hannibal Rex posted:

The letter has been debunked now; the signature is fake. Also, the shooting video has been geolocated, Eastern outskirts of Kharkiv.

People are calling you out because you offer no evidence of your claims.

An article, video clip, something.

I don't doubt that most of the things we see and post in this thread are either straight propaganda or at least colored by it.

Right now, the "evidence" is "trust me bro". So please, share your information and your source.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Hannibal Rex posted:

Can you post a link? I’d like to share it elsewhere but my googlefu isn’t strong enough to find the evidence.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Here is the walk back from a US official about the poisoning:

https://www.reuters.com/world/intelligence-suggests-environmental-factor-sickened-abramovich-ukrainian-2022-03-28/

E: believe what you want I'm just posting the evidence for the first unsubstantiated claim probe

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1508790827757326341?s=21&t=ieh3brpZPMVtLOA_lYpxUg

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I would not want to be a Russian tank crew right now. :yikes:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I’m curious how many trained tank crews they have left.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

ASAPI posted:

People are calling you out because you offer no evidence of your claims.

An article, video clip, something.

I don't doubt that most of the things we see and post in this thread are either straight propaganda or at least colored by it.

Right now, the "evidence" is "trust me bro". So please, share your information and your source.

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Can you post a link? I’d like to share it elsewhere but my googlefu isn’t strong enough to find the evidence.

Sorry, I got my threads mixed up. The primary source is an Italian OSINT guy on Twitter, Bellingcat has picked it up. That's good enough for me. If you disagree, fair enough. But then the burden of proof is on you that it's staged.

Hannibal Rex posted:

:nms:https://twitter.com/DavidPuente/status/1508472943663357963?t=M3cnQj579Y8iuxoqUIwdJg&s=19

This is a thread in Italian, but the site of the POW shootings has been geolocated to East of Kharkiv, and the letter that showed up afterwards has been debunked for having used an OTS token signature, if I understand the auto-translate correctly.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 29, 2022

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Crab Dad posted:

I’m curious how many trained tank crews they have left.

Knowing them It probably comes down to how loosely you want to define trained.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Hannibal Rex posted:

Sorry, I got my threads mixed up. The primary source is an Italian OSINT guy on Twitter, Bellingcat has picked it up. That's good enough for me. If you disagree, fair enough. But then the burden of proof is on you that it's staged.

No worries. I appreciate the conversation and people posting what they find. I’m not under the assumption that Ukraine isn’t doing bad stuff, because it is war, and lovely people do lovely things, regardless of the side they are on. Hopefully Ukraine addresses it and those soldiers see jail time.

At the same time, Russia has a long history of doing false flags, and multiple streams of “killing/hurting pows” came up all at once, then then the memo/documents. It’s probably an amplification attempt by Russia to make it seem more wide spread, but Ukraine has been very good about keeping their people off of social media so I questioned the veracity of the video just because Russia would fake such a thing if given the chance.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We just might be on the downslope here

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1508774654940520448

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Apologies for leaving off the link when I posted.

https://twitter.com/BBCTimFranks/status/1508527142593871883

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

US and UK intelligence have observed a strategic shift as well.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...f08abb4071acbce

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

psydude posted:

US and UK intelligence have observed a strategic shift as well.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...f08abb4071acbce

Yeah but the trick seems to be that it might be a bait-and-switch to consolidate and rally forces. They've already emphasized its NOT a ceasefire, and Ukraine is not going to deal if Russia refuses to also return Southern Ukraine to pre-invasion lines.

Given that Russia has balked or completely ignored multiple agreements, I'm highly skeptical.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah but the trick seems to be that it might be a bait-and-switch to consolidate and rally forces. They've already emphasized its NOT a ceasefire, and Ukraine is not going to deal if Russia refuses to also return Southern Ukraine to pre-invasion lines.

Given that Russia has balked or completely ignored multiple agreements, I'm highly skeptical.

Totally agree. It looks more like it's them cutting their losses and licking their wounds, vs. any kind of real movement toward de-escalation. But the next effect on letting Ukraine re-take terrain and commit forces to the east/south will likely be the same.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

psydude posted:

Totally agree. It looks more like it's them cutting their losses and licking their wounds, vs. any kind of real movement toward de-escalation. But the next effect on letting Ukraine re-take terrain and commit forces to the east/south will likely be the same.

Yeah its gonna be great if Ukraine watches the trains leave and shifts a bulk of forces South, where Ukraine is already starting to make gains around Kherson.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

psydude posted:

Yeah, this just means a refocus on the southeast.

Problem is if Russia takes and holds the southeast, that's a new avenue for sea resupply of the next offensive.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, this just means a refocus on the southeast.

Problem is if Russia takes and holds the southeast, that's a new avenue for sea resupply of the next offensive.

Yeah but its also letting Ukraine bulk their forces on a focused objective rather than spread out between multiple fronts, which is likely to, actually, help Ukraine.

Especially if Ukraine can suddenly bring heavy support weapons to bear on those cargo ships that take significant time to load/unload versus trucks.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

UA government seems to be less than convinced that this is anything other than stalling tactics on Russia's part.

https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/1508825066531958788?t=cVJeBcaMV9RgjB2S2_e8qw&s=19

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I mean, if they are moving men and materiel away from Kyiv, that doesn't sound like they are "strengthening their positions"

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Yeah all of the above basically.

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1508847889115660299?t=zlYTBBne73GFmE9gR1ISPA&s=19

The likely resolution is making the separatist east locations part of Russia and nobody will probably complain too much. Crimea's going to be a huge question mark. And something still has to be done to get things into a position where Neoputin simply makes up more bullshit and invades again in a few years.

In the meantime, good luck getting those Russian forces back east cleanly because Ukraine knows how bullshit Russian promises have been with all this poo poo.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Oh goddam zelensky dont meet in person

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
https://twitter.com/HannaLiubakova/status/1508823930638901252

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hopefully it'll be at Putin's longtable.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Zelenskyy just needs to cough and wipe his nose periodically to establish and maintain dominance.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

You keep what you kill.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Zelensky seems to have enough sense not to put himself in a mayor of Gotham meets the mutant leader scenario.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Zelensky seems to have enough sense not to put himself in a mayor of Gotham meets the mutant leader scenario.

Could do the ol Vizzini switcheroo. Also be a perfect time to educate Putin on the list of classical blunders...

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I wonder why Ukraine doesn't send small sabotage teams into Russia and have them dick with the Russian train lines. A few pounds of c-4 on a track with a pressure detonator? That's going to give their engines some serious heartburn.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Cimber posted:

I wonder why Ukraine doesn't send small sabotage teams into Russia and have them dick with the Russian train lines. A few pounds of c-4 on a track with a pressure detonator? That's going to give their engines some serious heartburn.

I suspect they aren't so things don't escalate more. Right now Ukraine has the "moral high ground." Sending troops into Russia for infrastructure attacks would make it difficult to maintain that superiority, especially with the countries that are flooding them with weapons. They know they have won the public opinion war, they have to keep that victory.

But I am totally with you, it would be a move that makes sense.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

ASAPI posted:

I suspect they aren't so things don't escalate more. Right now Ukraine has the "moral high ground." Sending troops into Russia for infrastructure attacks would make it difficult to maintain that superiority, especially with the countries that are flooding them with weapons. They know they have won the public opinion war, they have to keep that victory.

well, I'm not sure how it could 'escalate more', if Russia is trying to conquer their neighbor denazify the historically Russian area of Ukraine, and its not like too many countries are going to get their knickers in a twist if Ukraine takes steps to gently caress with Russian logistics. But also no one said Ukraine had to tell the world about these sort of operations when they are done either. I don't think Russia wants to announce that their train lines are vulnerable.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Cimber posted:

well, I'm not sure how it could 'escalate more', if Russia is trying to conquer their neighbor denazify the historically Russian area of Ukraine, and its not like too many countries are going to get their knickers in a twist if Ukraine takes steps to gently caress with Russian logistics. But also no one said Ukraine had to tell the world about these sort of operations when they are done either. I don't think Russia wants to announce that their train lines are vulnerable.

The world would know that a Russian train was derailed heading towards one of their depots. Ukraine wouldn't be able to claim it wasn't them.

As for escalation, Russia can certainly escalate this situation more. They have used chemical weapons previously in similar situations. They haven't started carpet bombing everything yet, so there is that as well. They totally pinky sweared not to use a nuke, so I am sure that is off the table...

Also don't forget, there has been much talk about false flag attacks on Russian soil that would be used as justification of greater force being used.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
I thought there was already plenty of sabotage happening at the borders at least. I'm not sure if pushing the logistics train a few dozen miles back into Russia would be worth the risk or investment of resources.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Cimber posted:

Dunno if they need to, really. The ammo depot at Belgorod seems to be putting on a fireworks show again.

https://mobile.twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1508886176043839492

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah its gonna be great if Ukraine watches the trains leave and shifts a bulk of forces South, where Ukraine is already starting to make gains around Kherson.

Is that possible, though? I thought the current Pentagon read was that the retreating Russian units are moving back to refit and regroup, but not necessarily to redeploy. Which means that Ukraine still needs to keep forces on hand to keep those guys in check if they get any more funny ideas.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

ASAPI posted:

That's true, also I'd imagine it's similar to "why didn't the CSA send sabotage teams to cut railway lines from NYC to DC when they shared a language?" I'd guess the answer is that while Russia has been stepping on a lot of rakes they do still have a powerful internal security state and Ukraine can't freely send sabotage teams across the border without high risk of detection. Plus having guys trained to operate independently, know how to wreck the tracks, and not get caught half starved raiding a grocery dumpster as their contact didn't pick them up takes a lot of planning.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

That's true, also I'd imagine it's similar to "why didn't the CSA send sabotage teams to cut railway lines from NYC to DC when they shared a language?" I'd guess the answer is that while Russia has been stepping on a lot of rakes they do still have a powerful internal security state and Ukraine can't freely send sabotage teams across the border without high risk of detection. Plus having guys trained to operate independently, know how to wreck the tracks, and not get caught half starved raiding a grocery dumpster as their contact didn't pick them up takes a lot of planning.

The Confederates definitely sent a bunch of raiders to mess up railway lines, in addition to a variety of other guerilla activities. In fact there's a lot of connections between those cavalry groups and the formation of the KKK under Nathan Bedford Forrest.

https://www.shirleendavies.com/raiders-of-the-civil-war-quantrills-raiders-and-other-guerilla-groups/

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

There's still a difference between a defensive war and an offensive one, though. I can't help but feel Zelensky knows he needs to walk a pretty fine line in terms of escalations.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

There's still a difference between a defensive war and an offensive one, though. I can't help but feel Zelensky knows he needs to walk a pretty fine line in terms of escalations.

I think this is the reason we haven't seen some things happen.

Zelensky is either an incredibly shrewd leader or has surrounded himself with people who are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

ASAPI posted:

Zelensky is either an incredibly shrewd leader or has surrounded himself with people who are.

Or both. Part of being a good leader tends to entail knowing when and what to delegate to the experts. Something various autocrats also seems to have major problems with.