Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Okay time for pedantic responses to very small issues I have with LT2012's very informative posting today :v:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Do you think Mike Huckabee, Bernie Sanders, Ted Cruz, Tom Harkin, Rick Santorum, and Barack Obama would have won a national election the way they won Iowa? Rick Santorum would never be anywhere near a top candidate in a national election.
Harkin is actually a bad example of a longshot Iowa winner: He was an Iowa Senator so nobody even bothered campaigning there in '92 as he was basically assumed (probably correctly, in the context of 1992 politics) to be unbeatable.

'92 is also weird in that the eventual winner was pretty much unknown before the primary but also didn't win any of the first five states.

Assuming they weight each category equally, it seems like the states most likely to be on the shortlist for the first five (depending on how they end up defining "small state" and whether some of the states would hold primaries instead of caucuses) based on the draft criteria are:

New Jersey
State-level patriotism requires me to point out that if you're not ruling out New Jersey for the NYC media market issue, you can't rule out CT either. (Half the size, and roughly similar diversity.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Mellow Seas posted:

Okay time for pedantic responses to very small issues I have with LT2012's very informative posting today :v:

Harkin is actually a bad example of a longshot Iowa winner: He was an Iowa Senator so nobody even bothered campaigning there in '92 as he was basically assumed (probably correctly, in the context of 1992 politics) to be unbeatable.

'92 is also weird in that the eventual winner was pretty much unknown before the primary but also didn't win any of the first five states.

State-level patriotism requires me to point out that if you're not ruling out New Jersey for the NYC media market issue, you can't rule out CT either. (Half the size, and roughly similar diversity.)

I was using Harkin as an example of someone who would never have won in a national election.

CT has a 12% higher non-Hispanic white population, a larger Democratic margin in 2020, and lower union rates. So, it is basically New Jersey, but slightly worse (according to the draft criteria).

It is a lot smaller, though!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like, if you want anything resembling fair primaries, runoff elections would be the way to do it just to start with.

Of course, the Democrats also established legally they have no obligation to run fair primaries, and could go straight back to smoke-filled rooms if they wanted to.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CT has a 12% higher non-Hispanic white population, a larger Democratic margin in 2020, and lower union rates. So, it is basically New Jersey, but slightly worse (according to the draft criteria).
Honestly as somebody who lives in CT and likes it more than most people here, "New Jersey, but slightly worse" is basically how I think of it, but the parenthetical is still appreciated. :v:

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Srice posted:

https://twitter.com/CoreyRobin/status/1508602390240501769

What really sticks out to me here is that ICE is now getting a lot more funding. Awful as all hell.

(To say nothing of how there's rhetoric about deficit reduction going on too)

More funding to ICE? The corrupt agency that holds kids in cages, physically and sexually abuses them and their other detainees? Has there been any kind of talk about reform even tepid ones aside from just “more training” and giving them more money?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

theCalamity posted:

More funding to ICE? The corrupt agency that holds kids in cages, physically and sexually abuses them and their other detainees? Has there been any kind of talk about reform even tepid ones aside from just “more training” and giving them more money?

well, they were able to expedite deportations by claiming that all immigrants constitute a disease risk under title 42. that's like a reform, right

that's what people meant, when they said Biden would shut down the concentration camps, right

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Plenty of additional money for funding the military, arms to Ukraine, the highest amount ever for ICE, a huge increase to the DoED budget for loan servicing ... but we can't fund additional covid response, or even consider the $10,000 federal loan forgiveness promise made during the campaign. Without even getting into the complete failure of BBB despite assurances from Biden.

I'm not sure what the Democrats are expecting in the midterms, but 3 1/2 years of lame duck Biden accomplishing little more than feeding the maw of the MIC is not going to win any more votes from the base. Personally, I would start preparing for President DeSantis and a majority R Congress (if not supermajority) in the next few years, with everything that comes with that.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

NY Magazine has a long piece about how many of the biggest parts of MAGA world and the non-MAGA donor/professional class aren't sure if Trump will run again and are going all in on DeSantis.

MAGA world sees him as "Young Trump" that they can get another 30 years out of and the non-MAGA world basically agrees that they are never getting another George H.W. Bush or Romney type as a Presidential nominee again and DeSantis is the most conventional conservative who can also bring in the MAGA world professionals, media figures, and voters. Both sides also think he has the advantages of Trump without the personal/emotional issues or negative public perception that Trump had.

He also "out MAGA'd" Trump on Covid and vaccines, which have become one the major shibboleths of the activist base. DeSantis even got cheers when he criticized Trump for "shutting the country down" in early 2020, keeping Fauci in his job, and telling people he got a booster shot.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/ron-desantis-trumpism.html

quote:

Trump is right that DeSantis can’t compete as a performer with him or even with past Republicans who have built national brands. DeSantis has the anti-tax zealotry of Paul Ryan without the winsome affect and sculpted torso. He has the social conservatism of George W. Bush with none of the folksiness. He has the partisan fire of Newt Gingrich without the mesmerizing hair. He speaks in a nasal tone nobody has described as pleasant on the ears and has yet to utter an eloquent or memorable turn of phrase. Reporters have noted his puzzling lack of interest in human relationships outside his family, which has resulted in heavy staff churn. “You will be in the car with Ron DeSantis and he’ll say nothing to you for an hour,” one associate told Politico. “He would prefer it that way.” But in some respects, DeSantis’s distant middle-management energy is the point, especially when compared to Trump’s garish star power.

It is crucial to understand that the critique of Trump that prevails among Republican officials is far narrower than the one proffered by Democrats or Never Trumpers. They don’t object to Trump’s racism, corruption, lying, or contempt for democratic norms, except to the extent that these qualities hurt the party’s brand. What irritates, instead, is Trump’s constant disregard for basic political self-preservation. DeSantis offers them the prospect of a party leader who can harness all the right-wing populist energy generated by Trump without the latter’s childlike inability to focus on what his advisers tell him. One DeSantis ally, confiding to the New York Times, summed up his appeal as “competent Trumpism.”

It's too early to say anything for sure, except that 2024 is going to suck no matter what, but at least there's a chance of it being funny. That article's narrative of "he's an absolute black hole of charisma who refuses to interact with human beings, but he checks all the right boxes, our loyalist media loves him, and party officials are excited for his middle-management energy" sounds eerily similar to what was being written about some of the more obviously sideshow candidates in the 2020 Dem primary. But if DeSantis ends up underperforming, he's going to flame out a lot more entertainingly than the likes of Buttigieg or Harris did.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

It's too early to say anything for sure, except that 2024 is going to suck no matter what, but at least there's a chance of it being funny. That article's narrative of "he's an absolute black hole of charisma who refuses to interact with human beings, but he checks all the right boxes, our loyalist media loves him, and party officials are excited for his middle-management energy" sounds eerily similar to what was being written about some of the more obviously sideshow candidates in the 2020 Dem primary. But if DeSantis ends up underperforming, he's going to flame out a lot more entertainingly than the likes of Buttigieg or Harris did.

Oh it’s DEFINITELY going to be funny as hell, just a loving clown show on the GOP side, with the Biden folks trying to keep him awake and coherent enough to campaign as the stable, sensible choice.

This is after Biden gets impeached after ‘22, however that turns out. We are in for like a 6 year episode of Veep I figure, 4 at the very least if Dems come back in the ‘26 midterms after the DeSantis Pog Crisis or the Trump Balkanization Crisis explodes, or whatever the hosed up inconceivable thing that happens is. Whatever it is, posting it accurately now would be considered a joke, so it’s pretty guaranteed to be funny.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Kevin McCarthy hierarchy of morality.

Attending a white supremacist rally = Okay.
Lying about your degree = Okay.
Lying about your military service = Okay.

Lying about being invited to orgies = NO.

https://twitter.com/Olivia_Beavers/status/1508806487010861065
https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1508847002087481348

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

What did Mr cawthorne say about orgies?!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

NeatHeteroDude posted:

He was telling a crowd about how decadent and immoral everyone in congress is and claimed he has been invited to multiple orgies and get together to publicly do coke in large groups in the lobby of the House. He said on his first day in congress he was invited to an orgy and a coke party.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

He was telling a crowd about how decadent and immoral everyone in congress is and claimed he has been invited to multiple orgies and get together to publicly do coke in large groups in the lobby of the House.

Haha, that rules. My wife is really more invested in u.s. politics than I am so she'll appreciate the ridiculousness of it all. Thank you for explaining!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Madison is 100% not getting invited to the cool coke and sex parties.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

theCalamity posted:

We can't even get up-to-date numbers on how many kids are still in the camps, much less media reportage on the conditions at the camps.

From the new Harvard-Harris polling:

quote:

If the 2024 presidential election were held right now, the poll finds Trump getting 47 percent support compared to 41 percent for Biden. Twelve percent of voters are undecided.

Vice President Harris performs even worse in a hypothetical match-up with Trump. Forty-nine percent said they would choose Trump, while 38 percent said they would support Harris.

The poll, while very early, portends trouble for Democrats in their 2024 effort to maintain control of the White House after taking it back less than two years ago. Trump has repeatedly hinted that he’s considering another bid for the presidency and remains deeply popular among the GOP’s conservative base.

Even if Trump and Biden choose not to run in 2024, Democrats may face some challenges. The Harvard CAPS-Harris Poll survey found Harris leading Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, a current favorite for the 2024 GOP presidential nomination, by a scant 2-point margin.

In that scenario, Harris takes 40 percent support to DeSantis’s 38 percent support.

The poll found Biden’s current approval at just 39 percent, while majorities of respondents said that both the U.S. economy and the country as a whole are on the wrong track.

“I would not give a lot of weight to trial heats right now other than they reflect the weakness of Biden and the administration right now,” Penn said. “That Trump beats them both by a wide margin suggests most Republican nominees once known fully by the public would beat them unless they are able to pivot out of the current nadir in their numbers.”

Trump remains the favorite for the 2024 GOP nod, with 59 percent of Republican voters saying they would support him should he take another shot at the White House. Former Vice President Mike Pence and DeSantis are statistically tied for second place, garnering 11 percent and 10 percent support, respectively.

In the event that Trump doesn’t run again, however, DeSantis supplants Pence as the favorite. In that scenario, 28 percent of Republican voters say they would back DeSantis, while 24 percent say they would support Pence.

That's the largest margin yet I've seen for Trump beating Biden in 2024.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Interesting that in any other scenario, Biden wins. So Trump is vitally important to Republicans right now.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Oh, I meant to post this, too: Biden's new budget calls for spending $34 million to hire more lawyers to prosecute 1/6 Never Forget :911: :

quote:

The Justice Department is seeking $34.1 million to bring on additional attorneys for the January 6 investigation. In total, Biden administration has requested nearly $37.7 billion in discretionary funding for the Justice Department, a more than $2.6 billion increase from the amount approved for the current fiscal year.

So glad that he's resolved soaring costs for medical care, housing, food & energy and can move on to the things that matter to most a handful of voters.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

NeatHeteroDude posted:

https://twitter.com/patriottakes/status/1508127124498141187

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Shammypants posted:

Interesting that in any other scenario, Biden wins. So Trump is vitally important to Republicans right now.

Where do you see a Biden-Nontrump match-up?

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Willa Rogers posted:

Oh, I meant to post this, too: Biden's new budget calls for spending $34 million to hire more lawyers to prosecute 1/6 Never Forget :911: :

So glad that he's resolved soaring costs for medical care, housing, food & energy and can move on to the things that matter to most a handful of voters.
Are you seriously complaining about a request for 0.06% of the SNAP budget to prosecute a coup against the government of the United States?

Willa Rogers posted:

Where do you see a Biden-Nontrump match-up?
If Harris can beat DeSantis, the second-hottest GOP candidate, then I think it's safe to assume that Biden would beat anybody but Trump among the same set of respondents. But I'd also be interested in seeing some specific numbers.

\/\/\/ lol

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Madison Cawthorn won his position so that he can leak the mod forums and that's just what he's doing.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/danielmarans/status/1508830772446257160?s=21&t=yIVft7FiCik4Ae0iM4X3Ng

The Democrats are basically just 2000s republicans at this point. Gotta drum up the xenophobia

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Mellow Seas posted:

Are you seriously complaining about a request for 0.06% of the SNAP budget to prosecute a coup against the government of the United States?

I'm complaining about spending tens of millions more money on a show trial that polls say voters don't give a poo poo about instead of funding or expanding funding for stuff they do give a poo poo about.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Willa Rogers posted:

I'm complaining about spending tens of millions more money on a show trial that polls say voters don't give a poo poo about instead of funding or expanding funding for stuff they do give a poo poo about.
:rolleyes: okay

"Tens of millions" in a $4 trillion budget rounds down rather emphatically to "zero"

e: edit got long, made new post because LALD deserves his own reply

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 29, 2022

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Mellow Seas posted:

:rolleyes: okay

"Tens of millions" in a $4 trillion budget rounds down rather emphatically to "zero"

And .06% of 4,000,000,000,000 is still more than I'm gonna see in medical debt relief from the federal government.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lib and let die posted:

And .06% of 4,000,000,000,000 is still more than I'm gonna see in medical debt relief from the federal government.

Well yeah you're one person, the government forgives much more than $34 million in medical debt each year through a weird process you may have heard of called "bankruptcy" (not to mention that it is the primary source of healthcare funds for about 30-40% of the population through the VA, Medicare and Medicaid).

Also it's 0.06% of sixty billion, the SNAP budget, which itself is 1.5% of the federal budget.

0.06% of 1.5% is 0.0009% of the federal budget.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Mellow Seas posted:

Well yeah you're one person, the government forgives much more than $34 million in medical debt each year through a weird process you may have heard of called "bankruptcy" (not to mention that it is the primary source of healthcare funds for about 30-40% of the population through the VA, Medicare and Medicaid).

Also it's 0.06% of sixty billion, the SNAP budget, which itself is 1.5% of the federal budget.

oh yeah, what a great system we have here, (further) gently caress my home-buying ability for decades with bankruptcy because the government would rather give military grade response equipment to nazis (ICE and US pigs, not talking about ukraine) than help people eat or get medical treatment

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Willa Rogers posted:

Biden's budget is never going to actually be adopted. No Presidential budget has ever been enacted as written in the history of the country.

Even if it was, that is a silly argument. The logic is just the inverse of "you can't complain about X when people in Africa are starving!"

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mellow Seas posted:

Honest question, do you really think it's the exact numbers people are upset with and these corrections will help or is it just an impulse to correct people when they're wrong?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lib and let die posted:

oh yeah, what a great system we have here, (further) gently caress my home-buying ability for decades with bankruptcy because the government would rather give military grade response equipment to nazis (ICE and US pigs, not talking about ukraine) than help people eat or get medical treatment

In the budget they are discussing, they are spending 2,390% more on SNAP and food aid than on ICE and 14,814,714% more on healthcare than all police and ICE spending combined.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

In the budget they are discussing, they are spending 2,390% more on SNAP and food aid than on ICE and 14,814,714% more on healthcare than all police and ICE spending combined.

Let me make this easy for you: anything short of full forbearance and a move to a government-run system is not going to pass muster, for me, personally. Band-aids on bullet wounds.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gumball Gumption posted:

Honest question, do you really think it's the exact numbers people are upset with and these corrections will help or is it just an impulse to correct people when they're wrong?
Honest answer: If you have a problem with an appropriations request of 0.0009% (less than ten percent of one percent of one percent) of the federal budget to prosecute an attempted coup then you are making your determinations out of something besides rational thought; perhaps a compulsion to find fault with every decision ever made by a certain political party.

I also think the human brain has a real problem in the interpretation of gigantic numbers than end in -illion and people are not appreciating just how little money $34 million is for the federal government.

\/\/\/\/\/\/ why would we expect a DOJ appropriation to do any of these things? The purpose is to prosecute a major crime. :confused:

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 29, 2022

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Mellow Seas posted:

Honest answer: If you have a problem with appropriating $34 million to prosecute an attempted coup then you are making your determinations out of something besides rational thought; perhaps a compulsion to find fault with every decision every made by a certain political party.

I just don't understand how any of that helps the average american citizen get out from under the crushing heel of "debt as a part of american culture." to be completely honest, I don't give a gently caress if liberal democracy lives or dies if I and everyone I know is going to spend whatever comes next living in debt slavery.

once they lock up Trump, are they gonna forgive all student loan debt?

once they lock up Trump, are they gonna go after health insurance administrators for crimes against humanity writ large?

once they lock up Trump are they gonna funnel money into public housing?

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Mellow Seas posted:

Honest answer: If you have a problem with an appropriations request of 0.0009% of the federal budget to prosecute an attempted coup then you are making your determinations out of something besides rational thought; perhaps a compulsion to find fault with every decision ever made by a certain political party.

I also think the human brain has a real problem in the interpretation of gigantic numbers than end in -illion and people are not appreciating just how little money $34 million is for the federal government.

\/\/\/\/\/\/ why would we expect a DOJ appropriation to do any of these things? The purpose is to prosecute a major crime. :confused:

If Dems aren't willing to pass anything to protect voting rights or even do anything to improve the lives of the working class, why would you need to bother prosecuting a coup? You're going to lose congress to Republicans in less than a year, and you'll lose the presidency in 2 years. Do you really have confidence that people in power are still going to jail for this? And if they do, what's to stop Trump/DeSantis from pardoning them in 2025?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mellow Seas posted:

Honest answer: If you have a problem with an appropriations request of 0.0009% (less than ten percent of one percent of one percent) of the federal budget to prosecute an attempted coup then you are making your determinations out of something besides rational thought; perhaps a compulsion to find fault with every decision ever made by a certain political party.

Ok cool, so it's a bad faith thing where they can't actually be upset but it's because they have a compulsion to hate the Democrats.

They're just mad we get money for things that won't go anywhere and are primarily a show but can't get money for basic needs of running a government. You can replace healthcare with bridges, social services, immigration reform, pretty much anything we want, have the money for, but just can't get. You're not going to get through to anyone upset about that by correcting figure amounts. Don't be mad that leftists are mad at you, be happy they still think the Democrats are capable of being convinced to do good. Why spend time trying to convince white supremacists we need healthcare? Dems are the only hope here so they're going to get a lot of the pain.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I mean at this point, sure, I'll accept that quantitative reasoning is not factoring into people's reactions to the request.

Let's also note that Biden's proposed budget (which, as LT2012 says, is a symbolic document with zero chance of passing and we're just getting another CR) -

1. Increases funding for assisting the homeless by $580 million
2. Increases funding for housing assistance programs (vouchers, etc) by $6.4 billion
3. Includes an additional 1.8 billion for the administration of Social Security (fewer eligible people will miss out on benefits)
4. Increases funding for tribal communities by $1 billion
5. Increases funding for lead removal by $40 million
6. I'm just gonna stop here, I think I've made my point

e: oops forgot source: https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/budget_fy2023.pdf

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 29, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

MIT was one of the first major universities to say they were going to stop using SATs and ACTs on admissions permanently.

They have reversed that policy after two years and reinstated the SAT and ACT scores as part of the process. They say that not using test scores resulted in their last three freshman classes being less diverse and that it disadvantaged high achieving students from poorer high schools and households.

quote:

At the same time, standardized tests also help us identify academically prepared, socioeconomically disadvantaged students who could not otherwise demonstrate readiness⁠. Meanwhile, research has shown widespread testing can identify subaltern students who would be missed by these other measures. Of course, this area of research is complex and contested, but the main point is that for every aspect of every application, we always have to adjust for context: as one of the papers I linked above notes, "college admission protocols should attend to how social class is...encoded in non-numerical components of applications."

Meanwhile, the predictive validity of these tests for MIT, coupled with their ability to identify (some) students who would not otherwise be ‘picked up’ by other indicators, means that we are able to use them to help diversify our class more than if we did not consider them, because they do not attend schools that offer advanced coursework, cannot afford expensive enrichment opportunities, cannot expect lengthy letters of recommendation from their overburdened teachers, or are otherwise hampered by educational inequalities.⁠

quote:

MIT's research shows that standardized testing helps to accurately predict student success at MIT, particularly in math. He noted that this could be because the university requires students to take calculus and calculus-based physics.

"The substance and pace of these courses are both very demanding, and they culminate in long, challenging final exams that students must pass⁠ to proceed with their education," he wrote.⁠ "In other words, there is no path through MIT that does not rest on a rigorous foundation in mathematics, and we need to be sure our students are ready for that as soon as they arrive.⁠"

Schmill said the SAT/ACT is a single tool among many factors in granting admission. He acknowledged that the tests can be a source of stress but affirmed that acceptance to MIT is not a measure of worthiness as a person.

"It only means that we are confident you, at this specific moment in your educational trajectory, can do well in the kind of hard math and science tests demanded by our unusual education," he wrote.

https://twitter.com/peteskomoroch/status/1508482763040571394

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Bishyaler posted:

If Dems aren't willing to pass anything to protect voting rights or even do anything to improve the lives of the working class, why would you need to bother prosecuting a coup? You're going to lose congress to Republicans in less than a year, and you'll lose the presidency in 2 years. Do you really have confidence that people in power are still going to jail for this? And if they do, what's to stop Trump/DeSantis from pardoning them in 2025?

pause to appreciate that the defense of the Biden budget here isn't that the budget is good actually, or that a few million dollars will turn January 6 into a real wedge issue- there's no way to make that work even by implication.

the defense is that someone expecting the Democratic party to help them -must- be doing so due to an inborn hatred of the democratic party.

what was the outside corruption, I wonder, who made the uppity peasants expect anything from their betters.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Biden's budget is never going to actually be adopted. No Presidential budget has ever been enacted as written in the history of the country.

You keep saying this, yet the proposed budget lays out the president's and his party's priorities, and many of those priorities (like increases to defense spending) are almost always passed by Congress (and in that instance with even more than he asks).

quote:

Even if it was, that is a silly argument. The logic is just the inverse of "you can't complain about X when people in Africa are starving!"

What's silly is emphasizing the spending for something voters have indicated they don't care about while not funding things they do care about, at a time when presidential ratings are wallowing in the crapper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

MIT was one of the first major universities to say they were going to stop using SATs and ACTs on admissions permanently.

They have reversed that policy after two years and reinstated the SAT and ACT scores as part of the process. They say that not using test scores resulted in their last three freshman classes being less diverse and that it disadvantaged high achieving students from poorer high schools and households.

https://twitter.com/peteskomoroch/status/1508482763040571394

Sadly sounds like the dynamic plaguing the New York City specialized high school system too. There is no guarantee that socioeconomic advantages don't become greater when you take a test out of the equation.