Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

VictualSquid posted:

Wait, I thought Elspeth was from Theros?
Curse you wizards, for trying to make my think about your story.

Theros was basically her home as in "the place that she lives" but it wasn't where she was FROM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

quote:

Legendary Creature – Cephalid Advisor

First new Cephalid in 20 years?

edit: also because I still listen to Maro's podcast, talking about Lorwyn with Aaron Forsythe, they mention specifically Hideaway coming back soon.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 29, 2022

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

GoutPatrol posted:

First new Cephalid in 20 years?

loving hell it has been that long hasn't it?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

Today's magic story

"Elspeth returns to the

city she lives in
the city of Angels"

Hoping tomorrrow she gets to kick rear end and draws some blood under a bridge downtown

Give Elspeth a tommy gun

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fatherboxx posted:

Give Elspeth a tommy gunviolin

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Honestly, I'm surprised Urabrask is still alive. I always assumed he had gotten killed off-screen by Elesh Norn at some point.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

A spell that costs 13BB? New Capenna is actually Innistrad confirmed.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

TotalHell posted:

I'm kinda sick of Innistrad.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

TotalHell posted:

That'd be hilarious if Capenna was just the other end of the hell holes from Innistrad.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

The Nastier Nate posted:

I'm kinda sick of Innistrad.

Shortly after New Capenna releases, Wizards reveals that they stealthily hid the worst Innistrad block of all time in their past four releases.

(I’m also very sick of Innistrad. I’m not even a big horror-lover in the first place.)

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Mat Cauthon posted:

I'm guessing this is another Rath type situation where the Phyrexians clean slated a plane to use it for their own reasons? Urbrask being there is pretty interesting, and since all the angels are gone but Atraxa (the compleated angel from New Phyrexia) is in some of the art that probably has something to do with it as well.
FWIW I think that art piece is gonna be a Secret Lair ala the Kaldheim Giants one that had like, Uro and Kroxa? Just with the New Capenna art flair. Cause there's also a Breya art piece with the same style going around, and she wouldn't make sense, but a 4 color Commander Secret Lair does.

serefin99 posted:

Honestly, I'm surprised Urabrask is still alive. I always assumed he had gotten killed off-screen by Elesh Norn at some point.

The last note we had for him iirc way back around original Theros was Elesh Norn off screen taking over Urabrask and Sheoldred's territories back on New Phyrexia, so I know a lot of lore fans were like 50/50 on him just being dead(while figuring Sheoldred was still kicking but in hiding).

FrozenPhoenix71 fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 29, 2022

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/MTGGoldfish/status/1508819202320306176

This is likely good

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TotalHell posted:

it'll be a story card about peeling back the layer under new capenna to reveal the horde of old phyrexians underneath

13BB

Make 13 13/13 phyrexian tokens with menace and deathtouch.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Arivia posted:

it'll be a story card about peeling back the layer under new capenna to reveal the horde of old phyrexians underneath

13BB

Make 13 13/13 phyrexian tokens with menace and deathtouch.

No trample no trigger to dice.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

That seems good, very versatile

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
jfc get used to seeing that charm a LOT

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It's funny how much better the Esper one is than the awful Grixis one

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

I had to do a double take on it because the Grixis one was real weak yeah

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Esper charm can both destroy and get back T3feri lol

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

magic story posted:

"I didn't believe you walked in the realm of the living until I saw you for myself." Ajani pulled away, settling his hands on her shoulders. His eyes were shining with emotion.

Literally unreadable!

e: also 'the adversary' is Ob Nixilis, :nice:

Fuzzy Mammal fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 29, 2022

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

New Grixis Charm plays really well with Kroxa in pioneer.

New Esper Charm can get Teferi or Ashiok out of the yard at instant speed lmao

E: oh God it can get Lurrus too, no wonder they chose now to ban him.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 29, 2022

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

you just know

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

fatherboxx posted:

Give Elspeth a tommy gun

the ol' Capenna typewriter

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

fatherboxx posted:

Give Elspeth a tommy gun

A Timmy gun, surely.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

New Grixis Charm plays really well with Kroxa in pioneer.

New Esper Charm can get Teferi or Ashiok out of the yard at instant speed lmao

E: oh God it can get Lurrus too, no wonder they chose now to ban him.

T3feri continues to be a huge mistake to have ever been printed

This is going to make the control matchup, where it's often decided by who resolves t3feri, way more swingy

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Apparently WOTC is doing an announcement about organized play on Thursday and people are speculating about the return of in-person GP/PT

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Apparently WOTC is doing an announcement about organized play on Thursday and people are speculating about the return of in-person GP/PT

God, I hope so lol. Digital only events have been dire.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

mcmagic posted:

Grixis one is much better in limited though lol.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Defeatist Elitist posted:

Grixis one is much better in limited though lol.

I….disagree

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

mcmagic posted:

Same post was true 14 years ago :colbert:

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
from a pure removal-mode perspective, the grixis one can snipe a 6-drop, I think that’s a strong point in its favor

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

The removal mode is broadly better, and it's got a more or less guaranteed buyout mode. Very often in limited games the Esper one just won't do very much. Obviously the nature of the format will play a major factor. If there's a ton of cheap multicolor stuff or people are playing a large number of expensive instants or sorceries it gets better.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
both are very good in limited but from my perspective having an instant speed 3-drop destroy and a negate in one card seems like the better choice. obviously though we can't know for sure till we see what the format looks like

but if we're getting a cycle of 3 color charms then there's bound to be some mana fixing and multicolor creatures to make that 1st mode mostly capable of finding a target

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have somewhere around $1-2k of assorted magic singles, maybe 150 or so. Prices estimated from CardKingdom's scanner app.

Where (online) can I trade this pile in to get some credit I can turn into like board games and things? Somewhere like Coolstuffinc or similar?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have somewhere around $1-2k of assorted magic singles, maybe 150 or so. Prices estimated from CardKingdom's scanner app.

Where (online) can I trade this pile in to get some credit I can turn into like board games and things? Somewhere like Coolstuffinc or similar?

We’ve got a MTG thread in SA-Mart, you could list your stuff there :)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3679632&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=465

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

The Nastier Nate posted:

both are very good in limited but from my perspective having an instant speed 3-drop destroy and a negate in one card seems like the better choice. obviously though we can't know for sure till we see what the format looks like

but if we're getting a cycle of 3 color charms then there's bound to be some mana fixing and multicolor creatures to make that 1st mode mostly capable of finding a target

We're probably disagreeing to some extent on how difficult it will be to consistently find a target for the 1st mode.

There are 10 legal targets at common in GRN, 8 in RNA and 0 in either KTK or IKO. At uncommon we see 15 in GRN, 14 in RNA, 4 in KTK and 13 in IKO. This counts all colors and includes hybrid cards.
I don't know where on this spectrum the set will lie, but assuming it's within that range it doesn't make me particularly hopeful. It feels like we're stacking conditionals (must have a card that is <= 3 MV AND is multicolor AND is in the graveyard) on a card that is already somewhat difficult to cast. I don't think it is mostly capable of finding a target, I think it will occasionally find a target. Which is fine, it's a modal spell, this mode doesn't have to work all the time.

The broader issue with this one compared to the Grixis ones is that the first mode of the Grixis charm essentially always works as a buyout, and the third mode of the grixis charm should kill just about anything on your opponents side (and actually be a profitable exchange a reasonable amount of the time). I have visions of the esper charm just sort of trading for something mediocre a lot of the time.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

If you are talking about limited, I expect a set with a 3-color focus to have a lot of color fixing and multicolored 3 drops.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

YggdrasilTM posted:

If you are talking about limited, I expect a set with a 3-color focus to have a lot of color fixing and multicolored 3 drops.

I think it is very easy to overestimate this, and if you look at other recent multicolor sets, the number isn't that high.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Defeatist Elitist posted:

I think it is very easy to overestimate this, and if you look at other recent multicolor sets, the number isn't that high.

Most other multicolour sets recently have been 2-colour partnerships not three colours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Most other multicolour sets recently have been 2-colour partnerships not three colours.

Sure, and the other 3 colorish sets we've had recently have had fewer multicolored cards than the two color sets, not more.

edit: Just so you guys don't think I'm talking out of my rear end, KTK had less than half as many gold uncommons and commons than GRN or RNA. STX is a little higher than both the Ravnica sets.

Defeatist Elitist fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 30, 2022