Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

i did the learn to code thing and was making a middle-class living but it also made me learn to want to blow my brains out so i stopped doing it.

Mods please trace this ip and see if it is permabanned user Lowtax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Facebook has prob ruined more lives than at least some hard drugs.

If so, drugs have had one hell of a start.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Facebook has prob ruined more lives than at least some hard drugs.

Yes!

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

prom candy posted:

thank god so many people feel this way or else i wouldn't be able to make six figures working like 3-5 hours a day

Same but placing phonecalls and running meetings.

Love the nerds that keep me employed.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
change my wife up

gently caress my life up

change my wife up

gently caress my life up

change my wife up

gently caress my life up

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

axolotl farmer posted:

Was the kid someone your supervisor had a relation to? Sounds like there was a personal stake in this.

Not that I'm aware of. However, my supervisor did grow up in the area she worked so it is entirely possible they were related.

I actually hadn't considered that. All these years I'd been thinking it was her valuing having a case of giftedness and not wanting that to be tarnished, but it's so obvious that the kid might have been a relative.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Same but placing phonecalls and running meetings.

Love the nerds that keep me employed.

Oh god being in meetings all day is hell, I don't know how people do it.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Dr.D-O posted:

Not that I'm aware of. However, my supervisor did grow up in the area she worked so it is entirely possible they were related.

I actually hadn't considered that. All these years I'd been thinking it was her valuing having a case of giftedness and not wanting that to be tarnished, but it's so obvious that the kid might have been a relative.

This lady so obviously had a vested interest that I actually thought you’d said so in the original story. Sometimes it just takes being outside the situation to see it

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Toxic Mental posted:

My brother

We are the mixed kids of a brother from Detroit and a dumb California bimbo blonde that somehow happened

I turned out great and have a normal life. My older brother never had friends growing up and constantly acted out at home. He realized in high school that being annoying and acting like a dumbass goofball that he could be popular. He got big into the party scene and started doing drugs. He got busted at some point and arrested. He flunked out of college after like two terms. Since then he has only been living at home with my mother and doesn’t work, doesn’t date, got fat and unkempt and doesn’t do anything except drink and sit around yelling at people on Facebook.

Does he have an account here?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Not much of a story here (that I actually know) but there was a kid on my older brother's little league team that died of autoerotic asphyxiation. His dad found him in the garage.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Robobot posted:

I wonder if I built a robot with a Zoom app running on a tablet for a face if they’d let me just work through the robot.

It’s easy to make robots right? Is that what those coding boot camps teach you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIWMSrLGlTk

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Toxic Mental posted:

Since then he has only been living at home with my mother and doesn’t work, doesn’t date, got fat and unkempt and doesn’t do anything except drink and sit around yelling at people on Facebook.

buy him an account

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Torquemada posted:

Also it seems utterly mental that the subjective opinion of one old lady determines your entire life, no appeal, no second chance, no tribunal?

There was a kind of "trial". There was a meeting between me, my supervisor, and the two professors who ran the program.

I was supposed to share my side of what happened and she was supposed to share hers.

She started and listed how I'd allegedly screwed up the assessment, none of which were true.

I was supposed to rebut her, but there was no way I could provide evidence because the assessment documents were confidential to the school board (meaning that only she and the parents had access to them).

So, I just had to sit there and play "he said she said" until they decided to side with her because she was the authority figure.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Goon Boots posted:

buy him an account

Sounds like mod material if he isn’t already

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Ups_rail posted:

Does he have an account here?

Goon Boots posted:

buy him an account

He did, back in like the early 2000s or something. His username was "pen16" iirc. I think he got banned for aggressively bad posting and I was like wait that's my brother and then I got banned too. So the collateral damage of his faillife just continued.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Toxic Mental posted:

I think he got banned for aggressively bad posting and I was like wait that's my brother and then I got banned too.

Lmbo

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Why’d you jump on that grenade? Did you think that would get him un-banned?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

He Ain't Goony, He's My Brother

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Not much of a story here (that I actually know) but there was a kid on my older brother's little league team that died of autoerotic asphyxiation. His dad found him in the garage.

Legendary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMe1N0XOYhc

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Toxic Mental posted:

He did, back in like the early 2000s or something. His username was "pen16" iirc. I think he got banned for aggressively bad posting and I was like wait that's my brother and then I got banned too. So the collateral damage of his faillife just continued.

Martman posted:

lol

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Martman posted:

You made this high goon laugh for a good ten minutes with this. :golfclap:

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

Martman posted:

I can’t stop laughing at this.

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019

prom candy posted:

thank god so many people feel this way or else i wouldn't be able to make six figures working like 3-5 hours a day

But you have to deal with the endless insecure nerds who want to use their "knowledge" to uh "swirlie" you.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Toxic Mental posted:

lmao

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Martman posted:

if mods have any heart at all they will change the topic.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Martman posted:

The post is long
With many a blinding word
His screen name we all don't care
We don't care

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Oolb posted:

But you have to deal with the endless insecure nerds who want to use their "knowledge" to uh "swirlie" you.

[heisenberg voice] i am the one who is insecure

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Why’d you jump on that grenade? Did you think that would get him un-banned?

No I was just shocked and was like “holy poo poo that’s my brother irl” and one of the lovely mods at the time like Bobby or someone was like “oh really? you’re banned too”

That and I didn’t think admitting to sharing genes with a poo poo poster would get me banned

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Toxic Mental posted:

No I was just shocked and was like “holy poo poo that’s my brother irl” and one of the lovely mods at the time like Bobby or someone was like “oh really? you’re banned too”

That and I didn’t think admitting to sharing genes with a poo poo poster would get me banned

Oh. That loving sucks.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Gifted and Talented programs in my school were just a fancy excuse to further segregate and elevate a core of white kids as "the smart ones." I was rewarded for all sorts of poo poo that I would have been otherwise disciplined that was recontextualized as genius and engrained a "gently caress it, I can wing it because I'm smart" attitude that very nearly strangled my 20s in the crib before I got over my bullshit.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Gifted and Talented programs in my school were just a fancy excuse to further segregate and elevate a core of white kids as "the smart ones." I was rewarded for all sorts of poo poo that I would have been otherwise disciplined that was recontextualized as genius and engrained a "gently caress it, I can wing it because I'm smart" attitude that very nearly strangled my 20s in the crib before I got over my bullshit.

If you dont mind me asking what event helped you realize that problem?

I ve noticed people who have talent seem to be rather lazy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Said it before, I'll say it again, labelling a kid as 'gifted' is one of the worst things you can do to them.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I was labelled as such as a small child - i was reading before school started and put onto advanced reading during early elementary years but all it did was ingrain a lazy "i don't have to try attitude" into me which actually worked fine until a) 2nd year of university, b) me discovering weed

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Ups_rail posted:

If you dont mind me asking what event helped you realize that problem?

I ve noticed people who have talent seem to be rather lazy.

Flamed out of my first semester at college, had no money, joined the army. Basic Combat Instruction is a fantastic cure for being a very special flower. That said, my impulse is still laziness, just tempered with "oh, giving into this impulse is bad and will lead to bad things."

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

prom candy posted:

Oh god being in meetings all day is hell, I don't know how people do it.

I got a little screen in my pocket. I use it to look at boobies and dogs and other things I like while other people bloviate.

The only thing important happening in a meeting is the notes that come out after. No notes, no problem.

I take notes for meetings I run for that reason, but they're all in the network and read-only so when someone shits about not being told what to do I can show them exactly when and where I told them to do thing.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Goddamn I'd gladly shovel poo poo instead of attending meetings, just not in my nature.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i was labelled gifted as a child when my pyrokinesis manifested itself in a really tragic way that i can't get into but i turned out fine

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

kntfkr posted:

i was labelled gifted as a child when my pyrokinesis manifested itself in a really tragic way that i can't get into but i turned out fire

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
:supaburn: :supaburn: :tif: :supaburn: :supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

By popular demand posted:

Goddamn I'd gladly shovel poo poo instead of attending meetings, just not in my nature.

yeah, I work night shift manufacturing for a reason