Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Popete posted:

This war really puts into perspective how advanced and well oiled the U.S. war machine is that they can deploy a standing army in Iraq/Afghanistan within a month or two halfway across the world and sustain it. Russia is having huge problems even after months of build up invading a next door neighbor.

Yeah, they seem to have very different philosophies:

quote:

The Russian army operates with fewer support soldiers than other militaries. About 150 of the 700 to 900 troops could be considered support, and because this formation would be an arm of a larger force in the area, they could also expect help from other logistics units.

But the ratio would still not come close to that of the U.S. Army, which deploys about 10 support soldiers for every combat soldier, retired Lt. Col. Alex Vershinin said.

It's amazing what a $700-800 billion defense budget will get you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

He keeps internal politics of Chechnya under control - that’s the full utility of Kadyrov, except for I guess some token assassinations where FSB getting caught could constitute bad decorum.

Kadyrov won’t survive the night after Putin dies in mysterious circumstances, he’s loathed by the rest of elite.

this. he is hosed if russia gets worse or putin falls/etc. either his rivals kill him (because they see he is a ticktok paper tiger) or the FSB/whoever kills him because putin loyalist.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

DekeThornton posted:

Well, the fact that a True Finn representative is pro NATO is rather notable, since they, like most Euro far right parties, including our Swedish one, has been NATO sceptics. We start to see the same switch for the Swedish Democrats here, as they try and clean their pro Putin image off.

Halla-Aho is a real weird fucker in Finnish politics, and he's actually been historically pretty open about his personal support for Finland joining Nato - rest of the party way less so. There are outright Putin fans in there as well that are now real quiet or hastily trying to pivot away from their old positions, like several of their people in the EU parliament. I think their current leader did say something in support of joining Nato recently, but I try to avoid reading or listening to True Finn leadership too much.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Roadie posted:

That entire backdrop is giving me some real "a poor person's idea of a rich person" vibes.

It definitely seems to be a pattern

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Popete posted:

This war really puts into perspective how advanced and well oiled the U.S. war machine is that they can deploy a standing army in Iraq/Afghanistan within a month or two halfway across the world and sustain it. Russia is having huge problems even after months of build up invading a next door neighbor.

Just a reminder when comparing armies by size and equipment that's only one factor, force projection is far more complicated.

I think that undersells how much the US pre-deploys and how much it built up for the conflicts it had ahead of time.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I think that undersells how much the US pre-deploys and how much it built up for the conflicts it had ahead of time.

My understanding is that the Russians had plenty of time to prepare for this invasion as well, though.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Halla-Aho is a real weird fucker in Finnish politics, and he's actually been historically pretty open about his personal support for Finland joining Nato - rest of the party way less so. There are outright Putin fans in there as well that are now real quiet or hastily trying to pivot away from their old positions, like several of their people in the EU parliament. I think their current leader did say something in support of joining Nato recently, but I try to avoid reading or listening to True Finn leadership too much.

I'll definitely take your word that he's a wierd outlier but the twitter thread itself is pretty much the straightforward analysis of the case for why Finland sign up.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Russia had a significant amount of time to stage supplies and units, then waited till the last minute to get the plans out. They also made a lot of really bad assumptions like: Ukraine will welcome us as liberators, so we won't need a lot of supplies since we can get them from Ukraine itself, no resistance, etc.

Most good plans assume you will hit strong resistance and how to deal with it. They also took none of the lessons from Blitzkrieg and failed to plan for 2nd and 3rd echelons to secure their supply lines and keep flanks protected during thrusts.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Well that's true too it wasn't like the U.S. materialized the military out of thin air in 2003 to invade Iraq but it's still an impressive feet to launch a sea/air borne invasion in a relatively short timeline. Russia was under no real time constraints and had been building up for months (maybe even a year?) prior.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Earlier today I watched a jet from Moscow belonging to the "Ministry of Emergency Situations" depart Moscow for Rostov-on-Don but diverted to Grozny mid-flight. wonder if it's related.
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ra-89067#2b51dc19

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Popete posted:

Well that's true too it wasn't like the U.S. materialized the military out of thin air in 2003 to invade Iraq but it's still an impressive feet to launch a sea/air borne invasion in a relatively short timeline. Russia was under no real time constraints and had been building up for months (maybe even a year?) prior.

I'd say the only real time constraint was, imagine if they had given Ukraine another 2 years to train and build defenses.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
It's not like the US didn't have problems too. Lack of personal armor in Iraq/Afganistan (people where buying their own kit, or relatives were buying it from them), unarmored Humvees (literally welding scraps to the chassie), and who can forget Rumsfields, “You go to war with the army you have, not the army you might want or wish to have at a later time." when confronted by these truths.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
https://twitter.com/YanniKouts/status/1509223484743995399

The Rubel play seems about as succesful as the VDV landings near Kiev.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Burning_Monk posted:

It's not like the US didn't have problems too. Lack of personal armor in Iraq/Afganistan (people where buying their own kit, or relatives were buying it from them), unarmored Humvees (literally welding scraps to the chassie), and who can forget Rumsfields, “You go to war with the army you have, not the army you might want or wish to have at a later time." when confronted by these truths.

Sure, but the Russians have approximately the same problems plus a whole bunch of additional and much worse problems.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Yeah when it's looked at financially I would say the US military is actually mildly disappointing in terms of the amount of money spent. There is SO much money wasted and legally/illegally embezzled there as well.

A guy I know used to be an auditor for the US Army in Iraq. He's got some WILD stories.

GaussianCopula posted:

Haha I called this a bluff the second I heard about it, did have some doubt when there were reports of that pipeline stopping flow but at the end of the day Russia needs those funds more even than the EU needs the gas.

They lose this round, although I am a little disappointed they didn't go through with it as I think that would've been even better for Ukraine.

Relatedly, does anyone know WHY Gazprombank isn't sanctioned? Just because it's part of gas flow that Europe needs?

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Budgets can be so abstract, but it's cool to see how the material differences actually play out and matter when the rubber meets the road.
10 Support Soldiers : 1 Combat Soldier for the US
1 Support Soldier : 4-5 Combat Soldiers for Russia is a pretty big organizational difference.

Imagine if you had that kind of budget for education and we had something crazy like 10 dedicated teachers per student.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Play posted:

Relatedly, does anyone know WHY Gazprombank isn't sanctioned? Just because it's part of gas flow that Europe needs?

I imagine it's for this exact reason.

I wonder why Putin decided to blink now instead of continuing to say stupid poo poo.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

cgeq posted:

Budgets can be so abstract, but it's cool to see how the material differences actually play out and matter when the rubber meets the road.
1 Support Soldier : 4-5 Combat Soldiers for Russia is a pretty big organizational difference.

Imagine if you had that kind of budget for education and we had something crazy like 10 dedicated teachers per student.

I don't really get how 1 support soldier for 4-5 combat soldiers works. Like that includes mechanics, truck drivers, cooks, various logistics people, etc, right? I guess that's why the Russian military is absolute poo poo at force projection?

Or is it a question of how they are defined? Like would Russia consider every person on a destroyer to be "combat personnel" but the US would only consider people actually manning guns and planes and whatever to be combat personnel?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

GaussianCopula posted:

I now want that VDV video subtitled with the collapse of the russian economy :colbert:

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Chalks posted:

I imagine it's for this exact reason.

I wonder why Putin decided to blink now instead of continuing to say stupid poo poo.

Probably because he realises that they desperatly need the money.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

kemikalkadet posted:

Earlier today I watched a jet from Moscow belonging to the "Ministry of Emergency Situations" depart Moscow for Rostov-on-Don but diverted to Grozny mid-flight. wonder if it's related.
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ra-89067#2b51dc19

That plane was most likely going to Grozny - Flight Radar approximates destinations based on past flight histories and is doing a poor job with unscheduled flights. Rostov and a huge gently caress off area around it has been completely closed on the Russian side, but the Flight Radar database still lists most flights as “scheduled” from that airport which further fucks with the algorithm.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Saladman posted:

I don't really get how 1 support soldier for 4-5 combat soldiers works. Like that includes mechanics, truck drivers, cooks, various logistics people, etc, right? I guess that's why the Russian military is absolute poo poo at force projection? Or is it a question of how they are defined? Like would Russia consider every person on a destroyer to be "combat personnel" but the US would only consider people actually manning guns and planes and whatever to be combat personnel?

Yeah this is all very "eye of the beholder"-ish.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Russia had a significant amount of time to stage supplies and units, then waited till the last minute to get the plans out.

Your thinking in terms of a surge. That rush of all the initial supplies to an area.

US just has loaded multi purpose / RO RO ships waiting at sea all over the world ready to go for a good chunk of that. Russia sold all those off decades ago. Each of the service branches has PREPOs just waiting 0-30 days from where they need to be. Where they have heavy equipment, tanks, trucks, etc that stuff is tested maintained, and run onboard in a rotation perpetually.

We are probably the only country that can do it anymore. Everybody else would be stuck with the intermodal systems everybody uses for international trade for supply. We use that too, but have the ability not to if needed.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

DekeThornton posted:

Probably because he realises that they desperatly need the money.

Yeah but that doesn't stop him from threatening to do it. Half the announcements from Russia since the start of the war has been threatening to do poo poo they're obviously never going to do - I wonder why in this particular instance they've backed down completely.

Maybe they've realised the only effect it's having is making Europe reduce reliance on Russian gas even faster.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Kraftwerk posted:

Yeah I used to find myself wondering why there's so many people in the US army who all seem to randomly live in suburbs and go on deployments only to come back later like its a business trip. I kept thinking holy poo poo all these people are risking their lives on a regular basis... Then I realized many of them are not actually on the front lines, they're basic combat trained admin staff who are responsible for the intricate supply chain, accounting and transport dispatch related stuff that goes into planning a massive amount of supply and demand for front line combat units.

It's such a non-sexy part of the war effort and yet I'd argue it's probably one of the most important jobs you can do... Wondering if actual combat personnel like 11Bs are actually a minority of the army.

One of my roommates in college joined the US Army after he got his bachelors and did basic at Fort Leonard Wood in Missouri. This was 2009. I always knew him to be really smart and ambitious. He HATED Missouri in the summer and was excited to be going different places after basic.

After he graduated, he got snapped up by the office in charge of procurement and supplies for Fort Leonard Wood and never left Missouri for his entire contract.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Your thinking in terms of a surge. That rush of all the initial supplies to an area.

US just has loaded multi purpose / RO RO ships waiting at sea all over the world ready to go for a good chunk of that. Russia sold all those off decades ago. Each of the service branches has PREPOs just waiting 0-30 days from where they need to be. Where they have heavy equipment, tanks, trucks, etc that stuff is tested maintained, and run onboard in a rotation perpetually.

We are probably the only country that can do it anymore. Everybody else would be stuck with the intermodal systems everybody uses for international trade for supply. We use that too, but have the ability not to if needed.

No they didn't? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ropucha-class_landing_ship

The ships Ukraine attacked are RO RO ships.

But that's not relevant because they haven't attempted a major beach assault and these could have no impact on the Northern campaign. They've been used as just cargo carriers much like the US does.

Also the ship destroyed, which is an Alligator class amphibious RO RO landing ship

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alligator-class_landing_ship

These are all beachable, multi-purpose LSTs

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 30, 2022

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

cgeq posted:

But at the level of a battalion tactical group, a us combined arms battalion would be some 550 troops w a attached forward support company w some 140 troops.
Giving a ratio of 4 Combat troops to 1 support troop.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

cgeq posted:

Clearly this is proof of how lean, efficient, and mission-focused the Russian army is, as opposed to the effete and decadent American armed forces, who simply steal all the money they are given-- and speaking of being given things, I am being handed a note card:

d64
Jan 15, 2003

DekeThornton posted:

Well, the fact that a True Finn representative is pro NATO is rather notable, since they, like most Euro far right parties, including our Swedish one, has been NATO sceptics. We start to see the same switch for the Swedish Democrats here, as they try and clean their pro Putin image off.

Halla-Aho has (I think) always been for NATO membership, only up until recently that was a minority view both among the public and among politicos.

To previous posts on this: parliamentary committees are not advisory, laws have to clear appropriate committees before they can be voted on by the parliament. Memberships and leads of the committees are distributed according to seats in parliament regardless who is in coalition and who is in opposition. Head of committee on defense is a key position when it comes to defense policy, though the role is different from minister of defense.

As for Sweden joining if Finland does or vice versa, probably all the pro-NATO people in both countries would hope so, but it is not clear at this moment. While there's been a big pro-NATO membership swing in public opinion in Sweden too, the govt has not been very enthusiastic about it.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

It's so weird to see a brutal, monstrous dictator whose look and style communicates that he'd be more at home doing donuts in his four wheeler in Centre County, PA than running a puppet nation.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Grouchio posted:

I now want that VDV video subtitled with the collapse of the russian economy :colbert:

In the absence of such a video this was the best I could do for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRgS6gpiMX0

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

PerilPastry posted:

Have the Swedes weighed in recently? Last I heard was the Swedish PM saying this

https://twitter.com/HKaaman/status/1501218920035926021?s=20&t=aWerlVipVI3RVAMgaZ3Y3w

quote:

Prime Minister Magdalena Andersson (SocDem) "does not in any way exclude" a Swedish NATO membership.

She says this in SVT's "30 minutes".

The Prime Minister believes that the security situation has changed fundamentally after the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Which means that there may be reason to reconsider the Swedish freedom of alliance.

Goes against congressional decisions

At a previous congress, the Social Democrats have decided that the party is not behind a Swedish NATO application. But now the Prime Minister is opening up for a possible membership in the future.

Andersson believes that the congressional decision was based on the then security policy situation.

- We can state that freedom of alliance has served Sweden well, it has kept us out of conflicts, but when the security policy map is redrawn, you need to make an updated analysis and make decisions based on it, Andersson tells SVT.

"Best for Sweden"
Magdalena Andersson says in the program that a decision regarding a membership in the defense alliance must be based on what is "best for Sweden".

- These are important questions about Sweden's security and then I think it is important that you analyze carefully before making a decision.

Andersson does not want to answer whether it is currently best for Sweden to join or stand outside NATO.

- This is something many Swedes are thinking about right now, of course I also think about it a lot.

The host Anders Holmberg asks the Prime Minister:

If the best thing for Sweden is not freedom of alliance, then will you change it?

- Of course, Andersson answers.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

vuk83 posted:

But at the level of a battalion tactical group, a us combined arms battalion would be some 550 troops w a attached forward support company w some 140 troops.
Giving a ratio of 4 Combat troops to 1 support troop.

That's just the organic support soldiers for a battalion, there are dedicated sustainment battalions and brigades that make up the bulk of the US Army's logistics.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

That makes sense. Sweden wants the defensive obligations without the pressure to be involved in whatever dumb project the US wants Nato to do every decade

d64
Jan 15, 2003
Source levada.ru

Sure, people might be increasingly wary of saying they oppose the president, but I still don't doubt that's the general direction of it

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Russia had a significant amount of time to stage supplies and units, then waited till the last minute to get the plans out. They also made a lot of really bad assumptions like: Ukraine will welcome us as liberators, so we won't need a lot of supplies since we can get them from Ukraine itself, no resistance, etc.

Most good plans assume you will hit strong resistance and how to deal with it. They also took none of the lessons from Blitzkrieg and failed to plan for 2nd and 3rd echelons to secure their supply lines and keep flanks protected during thrusts.

The idea to prepare for a war of the scale that current gen russia has never seen is absurd. It goes against everything they lived with and trained until now. All they did is kickbacks and falsify inspections. Everyones job was not rock the boat and embezzle within some unofficial rules so everybody is happy. And make cool cgis for Putin.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ynglaur posted:

It would not surprise me at all if Ukraine had a few dozen pilots training on F-16s someplace quietly just in case NATO ever agrees to lend-lease them. If they had the chance to do so, it may be worth doing as a form of reverse-insurance.

That interview with a Ukrainian MIG-29 pilot and a retired US National Guard pilot that trained him said that the Ukrainian pilots had some training on US airframes. Be that F-16s or F-15s I don't know. The Ukrainian pilot basically came out and said that they needed to get a system in place to transition them to NATO aircraft sooner than later.

The fact that it was disclosed that at least some Ukrainians have experience with US aircraft changes assessments on how fast it would take to get them qualified to fly them since you wouldn't be starting from scratch. Having a training pipeline for a 2-300 people training to fly, maintain and arm whatever would be a good investment right now like I have said. Same with other systems like Patriots and other US/NATO material. At a certain point Russian/Soviet stocks are going to run dry and you are going to have to backfill that with stuff that you can procure, which would be NATO.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nessus posted:

Clearly this is proof of how lean, efficient, and mission-focused the Russian army is, as opposed to the effete and decadent American armed forces, who simply steal all the money they are given-- and speaking of being given things, I am being handed a note card:

It's a fascinating blend of a "lean" army with no support, and at the same time an army composed entirely of nothing but the most support-hungry elements - tanks, mechanized infantry, motorized artillery, EW etc. The Japanese in WWII also ran a super lean army with no support o speak of, but they at least also didn't use heavy equipment in their organic units, so their armies didn't collapse the second they left their bases.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sekenr posted:

The idea to prepare for a war of the scale that current gen russia has never seen is absurd. It goes against everything they lived with and trained until now. All they did is kickbacks and falsify inspections. Everyones job was not rock the boat and embezzle within some unofficial rules so everybody is happy. And make cool cgis for Putin.

Yup. So when they actually had to prepare for a combat, all those cool cgis and the tank games didn't do anything for actual unit preparedness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Djarum posted:

That interview with a Ukrainian MIG-29 pilot and a retired US National Guard pilot that trained him said that the Ukrainian pilots had some training on US airframes. Be that F-16s or F-15s I don't know. The Ukrainian pilot basically came out and said that they needed to get a system in place to transition them to NATO aircraft sooner than later.

The fact that it was disclosed that at least some Ukrainians have experience with US aircraft changes assessments on how fast it would take to get them qualified to fly them since you wouldn't be starting from scratch. Having a training pipeline for a 2-300 people training to fly, maintain and arm whatever would be a good investment right now like I have said. Same with other systems like Patriots and other US/NATO material. At a certain point Russian/Soviet stocks are going to run dry and you are going to have to backfill that with stuff that you can procure, which would be NATO.

The F-16 seems to be a natural fit for that. It's one of the most produced of NATO aircraft, lots of spares lying around (even if you have to cannibalize old airframes), the US is actively retiring them to replace with f-35s. It's got one engine which I think is useful from a maintenance/fuel perspective. Most countries like Turkey even can handle them.

I seriously hope the UKR AF smuggled out their pilots and they're currently somewhere in the US on a secret training trip and it's just a classified military secret. It seems stupid not to do this.