Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I liked the crafting minigame in dq11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Same. DQ11 owned, crafting and all because it was tricky. It didn't just push you to the end, you had to use the systems, statuses, and make the right decisions in battle, or else you wouldn't win.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Special mention for Kotor 2 in that the crafting system would let you use the appropriate party member to craft according to whoever had the highest skill that matched the requirements of what you were crafting, EXCEPT when you broke down items at the crafting bench (the only reliable way to get certain components or to get some use out of trash items) it would use your PC's Repair skill to determine what components you got even if another character approached the bench, meaning that about 100% of builds just dumped all skill points into the repair skill, which was pretty useless otherwise.

Just a cavalcade of masters of the Sith arts who started out as apprentice mechanics.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

DQ11 has the worst crafting system ever. Xenoblade is close but DQ11 it is required to complete the game. And you have to do it for hours and hours and hours. And you can lose material if you gently caress up (I think.) And it's easy to screw up. And it's slow.

E: look at this poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=468MLRNI9qU

Uh what, in what way is it "required"? i don't think I spent hours and hours on any crafting in DQ11 :confused:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I gotta say the crafting in Breath of the Wild was really simple yet powerful. Anything you collected could be used right from the get go, there was no searching for other materials, if you needed a food item or a potion, just have the thing that gave a property and then "filler", stuff that made the outcome more powerful.

Making it limited to only crafting at a pot too meant that i was actualy leaving marks on the map for every pot i found and pots wernt rare or anything.
Made me clear out monster camps just to use the cooking pot.

No wonder those ninjas loved bananas, they were powerful.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Doctor J Off posted:

Same. DQ11 owned, crafting and all because it was tricky. It didn't just push you to the end, you had to use the systems, statuses, and make the right decisions in battle, or else you wouldn't win.

yeah. i just bought it for the end of march sale on the playstation store and am closing in on the final dungeon. Dora-in-Grey wiped me 2 times and seemed impossible and i was convinced i would have to just loving power-grind until I could win but then I looked online for what recommended level was it told me the strategy and correct line up Serena casting Snap Crackle Pop, Sylvando to snap people out of it, Jade and Greatsword Hero for DPS, prioritize healers and it immediately turned into the easiest fight in the game.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Ritz On Toppa Ritz posted:

Instead of Crafting - RPGs should have a Counterfeit skill where you spend time making garbage into money (or XP or Mana or whatever).

Star Ocean 2 has something like that and it's great. You can make forged items that you can sell for cash, you can make a contract that when used in a town gives you free inn stays there for the rest of the game, you can make a life insurance item that if you use on a KO'd party member gives you gold.

...you can also gently caress up and make a bounced check item that slowly drains your money until you get it out of your inventory. Oops.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
At first I hated it but grew to like it which was just mashing two weapon types together in Dead Space 3, though this was offset by what would become a very particular EA move of also trying to shove microtransactions into any avenue of play that it could

Also great for DS3 was the inclusion of a ton of cutscenes that just didn't need to exist!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Good soup! posted:

Uh what, in what way is it "required"? i don't think I spent hours and hours on any crafting in DQ11 :confused:

It's required in that you can't finish the game without crafting the end game sword. You can't craft the sword without spending many hours crafting other poo poo in order to level up your crafting ability. I'm guessing you didn't finish the game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

It's required in that you can't finish the game without crafting the end game sword. You can't craft the sword without spending many hours crafting other poo poo in order to level up your crafting ability. I'm guessing you didn't finish the game.

That's not actually true.

To beat the postgame final boss, you need the Super Sword of Light, which does not have to be forged using the crafting system. You get it as part of the postgame story. You're thinking of the Supreme Sword of Light, which is a stronger weapon but isn't required for the story (and also can't do the thing the Super Sword of Light does anyway).

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

DQ11 has the worst crafting system ever. Xenoblade is close but DQ11 it is required to complete the game. And you have to do it for hours and hours and hours. And you can lose material if you gently caress up (I think.) And it's easy to screw up. And it's slow.

E: look at this poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=468MLRNI9qU

jesus, ive always wished crafting systems were better than a checklist that magically pops out items once collected, but thast was a weird rear end way to go about it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The only time I like crafting is in games like resident evil or the last of us, where it’s super simple and supplies are limited so crafting boils down to actually making choices on whether or not you want to be able to take or deal more damage, ie “should I use this bottle of alcohol to make a health kit or a Molotov?”

Even in elden ring crafting was useless. I think I crafted maybe 5 things in 115 hours.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
crafting is like jumping. some people don't like it.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

i know they're largely reviled, but i'm going to say it: I like on-rails turret sections in videogames. i it's fun to mow down enemies while the AI drives you through a big dumb action set piece in some mid-2010's 4-hour console shooter. ever since i first played an on-rails turret section in metal gear solid, i loved it. when we (me and otacon obv) hop in that jeep i think "yes! i love on-rails turret sections!"

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob
I was just thinking about crafting in DQ11 and don't remember it being bad at all. Like it's been awhile but I think you found most of the items as drops or in chests, you only need a few ingredients, and the stuff you get is usually better than what's at the store. Unless I'm completely misremembering.

On the other hand FFXI had maybe the worst I've ever played. Hours gathering ingredients or dropping a ton of money at the auction house, and you could fail the crafting and destroy your stuff. That game was actively spiteful to its players

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Vic posted:

And those people are fat

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I had to look up DQ11 because my brain kept parsing it as Dairy Queeen 11.

Crafting in games somehow always becomes useless or broken. You either only make trash that a random box has better gear in it than you can ever make, or it becomes a thing where people dumb everything into it and craft weapons that eclipse end game gear by halfway through.

Why is crafting such a difficult thing to make, and given how easy it is to gently caress it up why do devs keep adding it in?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

i don't know if its definitive edition only but the game will usually just let you buy the ingredients automatically when you craft unless its something super rare where the whole point is travelling around to find it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

I had to look up DQ11 because my brain kept parsing it as Dairy Queeen 11.

Crafting in games somehow always becomes useless or broken. You either only make trash that a random box has better gear in it than you can ever make, or it becomes a thing where people dumb everything into it and craft weapons that eclipse end game gear by halfway through.

Why is crafting such a difficult thing to make, and given how easy it is to gently caress it up why do devs keep adding it in?

Its because using a shop is also a crafting system, so you have two competing systems that fulfil the same role.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Barudak posted:

Its because using a shop is also a crafting system, so you have two competing systems that fulfil the same role.

the economy should definitely have several hundred different unique and non-interchangeable types of currency. it just makes things more fun.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

syntaxfunction posted:

So, Crafting works in survival/sandbox games since running out of resources and then going to get them and then using those resources to craft supplies that you use to then go out and get more resources is basically the whole game.

Tacking on a "crafting" mechanic into like, an action/adventure game or racing game is stupid, I'll agree to that one.

In an MMO, it's just there to make normal things take longer since that's the function of every MMO, welcome to MMO's where everything takes forEVER. Would you like to speed things up? Buy the mega go fast speed nodule for $40.99.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

It's like ammo and weapon durability

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Trillhouse posted:

i know they're largely reviled, but i'm going to say it: I like on-rails turret sections in videogames.

:hmmyes:

The airboat in HL2 was also fine people are just whiners

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

the economy should definitely have several hundred different unique and non-interchangeable types of currency. it just makes things more fun.

One of the very few "crafting" systems that works well is FF12's Bazaar. You get very little money directly, 99%of the money you will make in the game will come from selling stuff you get from monsters. With one (1) exception that sucks, these items are only useful to sell. By selling them, however, you can unlock some extra items or special discount batches of items in the shop. So you passively craft (make for sale) some occasional sidegrade or slightly better for where you are in the game items in between producing the money you need to buy the gear you did want but its all limited quantity so its a complement not a replacement.

Effectively it streamlines it so everything uses money, but by finding special kinds of money that spends exactly the same as all other money, you can get some limited one offs.

FF13's crafting is a horror show of what happens when you deeply, deeply gently caress up the economy.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vic posted:

lol who doesnt like jumping and why and theyre wrong btw

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Trollologist posted:

So, Crafting works in survival/sandbox games since running out of resources and then going to get them and then using those resources to craft supplies that you use to then go out and get more resources is basically the whole game.

Trouble is that eventually you get the the point where you've turned a palm frond into a plant fiber and weaved it into a rabbit trap for the 100th time and the grind bores the crap out of you.

Which is why Subnautica is the best survival game, because the loop is geared towards discovering and crafting things that make previous challenges trivial while unlocking new challenges, meaning that you have an actual sense of progression.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Breetai posted:

Just a cavalcade of masters of the Sith arts who started out as apprentice mechanics.

Kinda lol that this is literally darth vader

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

lol who doesnt like jumping and why and theyre wrong btw

King koopa

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rutibex posted:

King koopa

he literally jumps in smb1

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Don't you have to get him to jump at you in Mario 64 which ultimately leads to his downfall?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

koopa can jump, but he shouldn't
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_PkWJLBARM&t=778s

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Koopa likes to jump but his knees got worn out as he got older, plus there were all of those times that his abuser Mario gave him concussions so he can't walk well anymore and instead has to ride around in flying rascal scooters that he crafted to look like a clown's face because he thought that'd make him more attractive to the ladies (he thinks this because of the aforementioned head trauma)

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I expect Starfield to be Skyrim in space and that's fine. But it's not a good sign when all we've heard are the devs talking about how great it is (while repeatedly talking about things you can do that you can already do in other games) and some concept art. Like there's no gameplay footage. Not even a peak.

Personally I hope it comes out, is decent, but flops and goes on special quickly. That'd be a good outcome.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Trillhouse posted:

i know they're largely reviled, but i'm going to say it: I like on-rails turret sections in videogames. i it's fun to mow down enemies while the AI drives you through a big dumb action set piece in some mid-2010's 4-hour console shooter. ever since i first played an on-rails turret section in metal gear solid, i loved it. when we (me and otacon obv) hop in that jeep i think "yes! i love on-rails turret sections!"

I think it was in Metro 2033, after the third or fourth on-rails turret section, that I just gave up on the game. That and all the invisible walls. Those sections are so boring and devoid of any excitement, to me.

Breetai posted:

Trouble is that eventually you get the the point where you've turned a palm frond into a plant fiber and weaved it into a rabbit trap for the 100th time and the grind bores the crap out of you.

Which is why Subnautica is the best survival game, because the loop is geared towards discovering and crafting things that make previous challenges trivial while unlocking new challenges, meaning that you have an actual sense of progression.

Subnautica is the best adventure game that is secretly a survival game that is secretly a horror game. I don't know if the newer one is any good but the first one was pretty sweet.

Edit:

syntaxfunction posted:

I expect Starfield to be Skyrim in space and that's fine. But it's not a good sign when all we've heard are the devs talking about how great it is (while repeatedly talking about things you can do that you can already do in other games) and some concept art. Like there's no gameplay footage. Not even a peak.

Personally I hope it comes out, is decent, but flops and goes on special quickly. That'd be a good outcome.

It's a Bethesda-developed open world game, right? They're all the same (bad).

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I expect Starfield to be Skyrim in space, i.e boring, bad, clunky, unfun and dumb

basically standard softworks design

Also On-Rails sections in games are awesome when they are way way harder than the rest of the game, that's always so funny. Happened in a ton of 360 era games.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Caesar Saladin posted:

I expect Starfield to be Skyrim in space, i.e boring, bad, clunky, unfun and dumb

Also On-Rails sections in games are awesome when they are way way harder than the rest of the game, that's always so funny. Happened in a ton of 360 era games.

The turret section was definitely the best part of dead space. :hai:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

syntaxfunction posted:

It'll be on gamepass day 1 so you don't need it to "flop" to play it for cheap.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Subnautica and Phasmophobia are the two scariest games yet invented. Both nail that feeling of impending/creeping dread and if there is a jumpscare it's legitimately scary and earned

I think the only time I've ever actually force quit a videogame out of terror was when, in solo VR phas, I found handprints on a door and as I was looking at them I heard a step behind me, so I turned around to see nothing and then a ghost breathes into my loving ear. Straight up ripped the headset off

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The yakuza games are full of flaws and despite having a lot of funny side stories also have main plots that are far too self serious and up their own arse

I swear to god if the exact same game and characters were set in London with Cockney accents most of the fans wouldn't touch them

edit: these 20 minutes of long dramatic dry cutscenes are really starting to outweigh the games good points

JollyBoyJohn fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Mar 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Caesar Saladin posted:

To combine these two. Fallout 4 had turret section when you got in a turret of a vertibird at one point. Turret sections can be cool if they provide a new perspective or type of experience from the main game. In FO4 it was just the normal gameplay, except you were in the air and the scenery looked bad because the engine doesn't handle long distance high altitude drawing well.