Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Kibayasu posted:

Finally I don’t have to pretend to care about Spock any more.

Well now, which Spock?

There's TOS Spock, but then there's the 09 reboot Spocks, and also the Discovery Spock, and the Strange New Worlds Spock, who I guess might be the same as Discovery Spock, but I'm not 100% sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

CaptainSkinny posted:

You've decided to not watching the show, and keep trying to make points that aren't correct because the show already dealt with them. The timeline after 2024 was changed before Picard went back in time, making it a brand new timeline for the season.

Okay? Was this explained in some expository thing in the show?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

infernal machines posted:

Well now, which Spock?

There's TOS Spock, but then there's the 09 reboot Spocks, and also the Discovery Spock, and the Strange New Worlds Spock, who I guess might be the same as Discovery Spock, but I'm not 100% sure
That’s all the same Spock except the Zachary Quinto version

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I thought Discovery was in a different timeline too for some reason, possibly because everything including the Klingons look completely different

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

CainFortea posted:

Okay? Was this explained in some expository thing in the show?

Yes, they explain that they’re going back in time from an alternate timeline. No, they don’t look at the camera and patiently explain why the events of Times Arrow don’t occur.

What’s funny is that if Guinan HAD remembered Picard from the 1800s the exact same people would be in here going on about how that makes no sense for the exact same reason the writer’s have given.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The difficulty is a timeline can't break cleanly from an event and create a distinct alternate future if the original past is affected by the "original" future, or else the past is the past of two presents--which would normally most likely not matter except that those two presents have two futures, one of which affects the past and one which does not. So it would necessarily create past ramifications to not have those future events occur.

If Confederation Picard went back to meet Guinan in the 19th century his timeline, would both Federation Picard and Confederation Picard be there? Which one is the actual future Picard, and which would have the affect on 2024 for Guinan to recall? Both?

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 30, 2022

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mulaney Power Move posted:

more of a post star trek 4 critique, but are we to believe only spock and the borg queen are capable of the whole slingshot around the sun thing? it seems like the federation could be time traveling whenever they want.

Probably not the only ones. You need someone who can do the calculations fast enough. There's probably loads of people who can do it, but not everyone. Not the people they had available on this team.

loving Wesley would probably be a good candidate, lol.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I adopt the Doctor Who mantra of time travel, which is basically “gently caress it, just go with it”.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Infidel Castro posted:

The problem with the producers hand waiving Time's Arrow away is it implied whatever time fuckery that caused the timelines to split happened before 2024.

Also Spock only had to figure out how to go back far enough to when the whales existed, not to a specific time. ST4 could have been in the 13th century and they'd have been fine.

You are thinking of time too linearly. When you change events from 2024 you change events before it too cause there were time travelers born after 2024 who went back before 2024

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

It’s gonna be fantastic when it’s revealed that Q just put them in a standard holodeck and they never went back in time and if any of them had said “computer end program” it would’ve been over.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Endless Trash posted:

Yes, they explain that they’re going back in time from an alternate timeline. No, they don’t look at the camera and patiently explain why the events of Times Arrow don’t occur.

What’s funny is that if Guinan HAD remembered Picard from the 1800s the exact same people would be in here going on about how that makes no sense for the exact same reason the writer’s have given.

Ah, up till now I thought it was just cope fan fiction.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Endless Trash posted:

It’s gonna be fantastic when it’s revealed that Q just put them in a standard holodeck and they never went back in time and if any of them had said “computer end program” it would’ve been over.

Again, this is a far better idea than something the writers of Picard are likely to have come up with

CainFortea posted:

Ah, up till now I thought it was just cope fan fiction.

The writers themselves are on social media diagramming it out for people. IDK if that can be considered fan fiction

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

John Wick of Dogs posted:

You are thinking of time too linearly. When you change events from 2024 you change events before it too cause there were time travelers born after 2024 who went back before 2024

Time travel is stupid.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Luckily, those past events had no effect on the present outside of the excised causality loops. The present is a stable, relative temporal point. Can you imagine a future event affecting the past and altering the present in such a way that it alters the future which affects the past to alter the present? Madness

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

remember that one episode of ds9 where they met their descendants and had to choose whether to destroy their timeline by leaving despite the fact that they'd already created a new timeline by arriving in the village in the first place

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

StashAugustine posted:

remember that one episode of ds9 where they met their descendants and had to choose whether to destroy their timeline by leaving despite the fact that they'd already created a new timeline by arriving in the village in the first place

DS9 contains almost every complaint that has been leveled against Discovery and Picard combined. The difference is the writers knew how to handle these things rather than make plot holes plot points.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

with as much time travel as there is going on you can easily just handwave any continuity you don't like away as time fuckery which is why Disco and Picard never happened

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Warp_particles.gif

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

the scene at the end of first contact where picard just tells la forge to recreate the vortex and he does it and they go home

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

CaptainSkinny posted:

DS9 contains almost every complaint that has been leveled against Discovery and Picard combined. The difference is the writers knew how to handle these things rather than make plot holes plot points.

yeah, I'm just firmly on the side that time travel in trek has never made any sense at all and the best episodes are the ones that care least about the mechanics of it

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

and no the novel where we find out geordi fucks up the vortex and they're stuck in a timeline where picard marries the borg queen at champflower in 1806 and napoleon conquers britain after programming data to be his chef isn't canon

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Danaru posted:

Through a really confusing set of circumstances, both planes that hit the WTC were flown by Mark Twain

Shame on you, Mr. Clemens, shame!

Well now, which Spock?

Spock 2

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Vulcan Boogaloo

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

and no the novel where we find out geordi fucks up the vortex and they're stuck in a timeline where picard marries the borg queen at champflower in 1806 and napoleon conquers britain after programming data to be his chef isn't canon

It's not?!

I take it all back.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Canon is whatever you want it to be.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

This is a level beyond Spock

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i only give a poo poo about spock when he is played by nimoy. so really i just like nimoy.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Spock 2: The Spockuel

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

daimon spock

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Meme Poker Party posted:

Canon is whatever you want it to be.

Riker lives in Wausau, WI and is also my dad.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

dr. spo-acula

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Why would Picard try to convince Guinan to stay on earth when he knows what is coming? She should definitely get off earth for the next few decades, at least.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i just thought of something so stupid i hope it happens - the price of restoring the timeline is el-auria gets attacked by the borg because guinan meets the borg queen

The General
Mar 4, 2007

more of a post star trek 4 critique, but are we to believe only spock and the borg queen are capable of the whole slingshot around the sun thing? it seems like the federation could be time traveling whenever they want.

I had a hearty laugh at the thought that Spock has more computer power in his brain than a computer. Spock's Brian makes more sense now.

Also if anybody likes time travel stories, I highly recommend watching Primer.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Facebook Aunt posted:

Why would Picard try to convince Guinan to stay on earth when he knows what is coming? She should definitely get off earth for the next few decades, at least.
Yeah I was immediately like, 'uhhh, not a great call there Picard' by not mentioning WW3

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

This is a level beyond Spock

And this is to go... Even FURTHER BEYOND!!!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Facebook Aunt posted:

Well he said just for a few days, cause he might need her to save the future

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Just got to the first part of The Best of Both Worlds , which honestly could be a TNG movie its so good.

Season 3 of TNG and Season 4 are loving excellent seasons.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/StarTrek/status/1509305085150392324?t=0Oxvj-nECGTDBVF3Bpdnnw&s=19

I'm gonna like this dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

I thought Discovery was in a different timeline too for some reason, possibly because everything including the Klingons look completely different

Nah. They just want to be unique.