Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I chewed those white foam cups a lot as a kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

TeenageArchipelago posted:

so did anyone else chew on styrofoam cups as a kid? Every once in a while I remember doing that and realize why I am bad at posting

e: to be clear, I'm not saying that I went out and grabbed styrofoam cups just to chew on them. I mean more like "I was at an event with my parents, got bored after I finished eating, and bit chunks off of the cup because I was a bored 5 year old"

No. How about plastic straws?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Was that community close to the gold mine at Yellowknife? You know, the one that has enough cyanide being kept artificially frozen underground to kill everyone on Earth multiple times over

lol no, not that far north. but my aunt-in-law was responsible for the environmental consultation community outreach for a gold mine in Nova Scotia.

my wife: “so like, what are you guys going to do about all the cyanide and other poo poo that the mine will need dealt with?”
aunt: “oh don’t worry, we have ways to contain that now”
my wife: *sends her a report about the same company poisoning the groundwater on a reservation*
aunt: “oh i don’t know anything about that!”

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Wonder what Peter Kalmus is gonna get up to

https://twitter.com/ClimateHuman/status/1509331665457336323?s=20&t=0WBcON4Roi0Wf24EJ7TXdA

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Hey fellow kids, anyone want to crime, slip in my dms

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
they finally turned Kalmus, huh

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

rex rabidorum vires posted:

No. How about plastic straws?

oh for sure, still chew on all the plastic straws I get. sometimes even pretend that I am a sea turtle. 99% sure that if I die from chewing on something because I'm bored it's going to be an ice cube so who cares lmao

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Real common in my poor community in the south? You drink your sugary drink of choice at lunch and then take bites out of the cup(gum isn't free) idk. Wasn't just a few people.

chapelle bit where its the grape drink kid but there's another kid and hes like "alright... but I want that cup after you finish"

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
every human is born free with gum, is is called the tongue

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Homeless Friend posted:

every human is born free with gum, is is called the tongue

:chloe:

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Was that community close to the gold mine at Yellowknife? You know, the one that has enough cyanide being kept artificially frozen underground to kill everyone on Earth multiple times over

I’m sorry the what

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

can you elaborate on this? googling it and missing it.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Koirhor posted:

I’m sorry the what

just a perfectly normal forever frozen vault of horrifying toxin we keep in the earth now

what happens when we cant keep it frozen anymore you ask?? well,

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Koirhor posted:

I’m sorry the what

silicone thrills posted:

can you elaborate on this? googling it and missing it.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/xd5gw7/yellowknife-is-sitting-on-enough-arsenic-to-kill-every-human-on-earth

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
The link title tells me it's a fun article

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
How do they know it will stay cold enough????

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

silicone thrills posted:

How do they know it will stay cold enough????

lmao

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

we really live in just the absolute dumbest timeline/scenario/whatever lmao

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

A Bakers Cousin posted:

The link title tells me it's a fun article

it's a hoot so far

quote:

unregulated until 1951, when a child from the Yellowknives Dene First Nation died of poisoning from eating snow in the area

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

dont eat styrofoam

just eat erasers like a normal person (the pink ones not the rubbery white ones)

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

holy poo poo that yellowknife article lol

quote:

“How can we ever ensure that human systems are going to continue to keep something that requires rather sophisticated engineering and monitoring to function forever, that’s just crazy,” argues Kevin O’Reilly, an activist with Northern Alternatives. “We can’t even remember how the pyramids were built 5,000 years ago. How can we know that 5,000 years from now, if there are even people on this planet, that they are going to know what to do to keep this stuff frozen? That’s just irresponsible.”

The government had originally hoped that permafrost would creep its way back into the area and freeze the arsenic naturally, despite warnings from engineers that came as early as the 1950s that this would not be the case. After a decade of fruitless waiting the government’s plan to achieve this “frozen block” solution is to mimic the way an ice rink is kept frozen. That is: by continuously pumping coolant into the ground, the arsenic should theoretically stay frozen.

"just freeze the loving earth you idiots, bing bong"

re: choosing where to die in the coming apocalypse, I sincerely cannot praise the southwest enough for "death by combined dehydration and heatstroke," you can get drunk on the last of your booze and stumble outside of civilization into some really, really beautiful areas filled with hardy life that will absolutely outlive any human structure

plus before everything here crumbles, you can visit biosphere 2 (a dumb joke made by dumb idealistic people about how earth is biosphere1, lol can you imagine being stupid enough to think the earth is like a spaceship and we'd have to work together to survive existing in space lol how dumb right? anyway) and see/hear firsthand how private capital tried, failed, and memoryholed living in a bubble to prepare for space, but on earth, and also how they sucked poo poo at it and failed horribly, then never tried again probably at all but definitely not on any meaningful scale. Then you can reflect on smoothbrain shitlords like musk or bezos thinking "hell yeah we're gonna fuckin live in space! sure the penalty for failure is death vs living in a closed, entirely manmade environmental system on earth, which we ALSO cannot do but that's OK because we don't need it on earth you silly goose! lol it's for space!!"

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i like to watch restorations of old iron and steel mechanisms, so i guess the algorithm decided this was cool too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z979l_7EcpE

nothing against this particular uploader, i'm sure you can find hundreds of similar videos. this project is totally insignificant in the grand scheme. hundreds and hundreds of meters of epoxy fibers lathed off, plus all those polishing particles, to produce one cool-looking useless vase thing. this is not a measurable percent of any small city's pollution production. the sun will rise tomorrow.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

what's with the thread title? i was assured that some of us will survive

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

CODChimera posted:

no one is making it out of this alive

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I started reading The End of Ice and so far I'm liking that he doesn't bullshit about best case scenarios.

The End Of Ice posted:

After a pause to let all that sink in, Fagre goes on to explain that the Earth has a resilient system that has been through much worse than what we’ve caused: ice ages, volcanism, etc. “So many of these things will recover,” he says of the glaciers and forests that are vanishing before our eyes. “But not in a time frame that includes humans.”

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 06:16 on Mar 31, 2022

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Chard posted:

i like to watch restorations of old iron and steel mechanisms, so i guess the algorithm decided this was cool too:

nothing against this particular uploader, i'm sure you can find hundreds of similar videos. this project is totally insignificant in the grand scheme. hundreds and hundreds of meters of epoxy fibers lathed off, plus all those polishing particles, to produce one cool-looking useless vase thing. this is not a measurable percent of any small city's pollution production. the sun will rise tomorrow.

I've been getting back into woodturning and yes that gnarled root + epoxy is a thing now. These turners are definitely ingesting more than a credit card's worth of plastic a week.

Also in the gratuitous homeowner-grade plastic pollution category - landscape fabric. I made the mistake of using some under paths and to line compost bins. Apparently it breaks down over time and you end up removing it in pieces. My compost is probably riddled with little bits of plastic fibers now. Ah well, hopefully they won't stunt plant growth the way the aminopyralid herbicide I accidentally introduced with horse manure does.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Hexigrammus posted:

I've been getting back into woodturning and yes that gnarled root + epoxy is a thing now. These turners are definitely ingesting more than a credit card's worth of plastic a week.

Also in the gratuitous homeowner-grade plastic pollution category - landscape fabric. I made the mistake of using some under paths and to line compost bins. Apparently it breaks down over time and you end up removing it in pieces. My compost is probably riddled with little bits of plastic fibers now. Ah well, hopefully they won't stunt plant growth the way the aminopyralid herbicide I accidentally introduced with horse manure does.

My favorite find in my dirt in my yard was plastic aquarium pieces that must have been thrown into the woods at least 25 years ago. Im like. Idk a block from a golf course and I also find a lot of golf balls. I'm making little shrines out of this poo poo cause like what the gently caress else can I do at this point?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

CODChimera posted:

The "us" referred to the thread's posters.

Where am I gonna pick to die? poo poo, I dunno. Moving is expensive, and stressful. My family's all spread out anyway. I guess I'll just stay put and play videogames and try to be happy until I can't anymore unless some force moves me.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Hexigrammus posted:

There's a huge municipal compost here and I went to get some for my garden because it's really cheap, supposedly it's mostly composted wood cuttings and not sewage but anyway I didn't get any because holy gently caress it was just completely full of little bits of shredded plastic.

The aminopyralid stuff is hosed up too. When I lived in Oklahoma where it's super hot and dry in the summer I bought expensive bale of alfalfa to mulch my tomatoes with because it's a broad leaf and the super hosed up herbicides can't be used on it because they kill it. Plus it's a nitrogen fixer so it's good for your soil as it breaks down. Worked well but God drat it's so hosed up you can't just get a hay bale or se horse manure and use them in your garden anymore.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Chard posted:

Looks pretty I guess. Think I prefer clay though.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Does anyone have a link to an article that I think was posted here a while back--it was a long form narrative piece describing what Earth's climate was like over hundreds of millions of years, I think working backwards, with a lot of vivid imagery?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

silicone thrills posted:

My favorite find in my dirt in my yard was plastic aquarium pieces that must have been thrown into the woods at least 25 years ago. Im like. Idk a block from a golf course and I also find a lot of golf balls. I'm making little shrines out of this poo poo cause like what the gently caress else can I do at this point?

Put them in a plastic cylinder, dump a bunch of coloured epoxy on them, then chuck the whole mess in a lathe?

IAMKOREA posted:

There's a huge municipal compost here and I went to get some for my garden because it's really cheap, supposedly it's mostly composted wood cuttings and not sewage but anyway I didn't get any because holy gently caress it was just completely full of little bits of shredded plastic.

I have the same problem with the seaweed I collect once a year for compost and aspargus mulch. I spend the rest of the year picking little bits of plastic from between the asparagus fronds.

I've spent the last couple of days turning compost bins and screening compost. It's really demoralizing to be picking plastics out of the bins we use for our household waste. We have complete control over what goes into those bins and I'm still finding plastic bags and little bits of hard plastic in it.

The absolute worst was discovering that Lipton's tea bags are plastic. I haven't found any in the dirt for a couple of years now so hopefully I got them all.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Hexigrammus posted:

Put them in a plastic cylinder, dump a bunch of coloured epoxy on them, then chuck the whole mess in a lathe?

I have the same problem with the seaweed I collect once a year for compost and aspargus mulch. I spend the rest of the year picking little bits of plastic from between the asparagus fronds.

I've spent the last couple of days turning compost bins and screening compost. It's really demoralizing to be picking plastics out of the bins we use for our household waste. We have complete control over what goes into those bins and I'm still finding plastic bags and little bits of hard plastic in it.

The absolute worst was discovering that Lipton's tea bags are plastic. I haven't found any in the dirt for a couple of years now so hopefully I got them all.

Oh yeah the switch to plastic tea bags done in secret is absolutely loving insane. Imagine all the microplastics people are drinking and making GBS threads out from that. I got in an argument with my father in law about not giving my daughter tea from plastic tea bags, he simply could not believe that something so insane could exist and thought I was being dramatic, until he took a lighter to one and realized it was indeed made of plastic. He threw out all of their tea after that lol.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Xaris posted:

nothing that already ITT doesn't already know but its always fun reading about arizona's impeding demise

https://www.circleofblue.org/2022/wef/arizonas-future-water-shock/

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Stereotype posted:

it's like putting a message in a bottle and sending it out to sea. you have very little chance that anyone will ever find or read it, and even if they do it would be nearly impossible to know or make any difference at all, and it is all about the symbolic action. onto a single sheet of paper you fluidly wrote "only god can make the earth warmer," sealed it into a glass vessel, and then hurled it into the ocean. except on the internet. its the same symbolism

You'll find the bottle is plastic.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

And the plastic is inside your brain

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Eventually bacteria will solve the plastic problem like they solved the carboniferous. It's only a few million years away

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Until then maybe the plastic will degrade back into a form of fossil fuel that some future civilization can discover, leading to a economic boom before also destroying their ecosystem.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
The plastic eating bacteria will excrete a gaseous waste, so really we've caused climate change twice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
No more ice!
Twice as nice!