Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Terrible Opinions posted:

The Imperial forces should all have the wacky random failure tables they've given to chaos and orks throughout the series.
Agreed.

"Your Space Marine believes they may have heard someone in the immediate vicinity mention Chaos, possibly in a favorable manner. Please remain in the area for the impending orbital strike."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And the real funny thing is that none of this poo poo is necessary when you just have humans. Mind you, apparently elves and dwarves and orcs were apparently begrudging additions to D&D that Gygax supposedly resented when he just wanted Conan style fantasy adventure. (Which of course has its own problems)

I think a lot of what becomes gross and racist about orcs and other fantasy races stems precisely from Gygax deciding to use them as stand-ins for Howard's Picts, Hyrkanians, Stygians, and the like.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Tibalt posted:

Yeah, generally it was viewed as missing the point/joke of Orks - they're an entire species of the most perfect warrior predators, Arsenal Fans. The reality of an Ork invasion would be as terrifying and miserable for the civilian population as an Eldar, Imperial, or Chaos invasion.

But that's not the point of Orks. They exist as a source of levity in the setting and as the perfect enemy to fight (but with more personality and flair than the other perfect enemies, Tyranids). Focusing on the logistics and barbarity of the Beast just undercuts the aspects of Orks that differentiate them from any other Evil Aliens.

Edit: And I'll point out that WH40K is for the most part entirely uninterested in dealing with the reality of war on any front. Massive piles of bodies exist merely for our characters to stand upon, and nothing more.

I still wanna know what the Krorks were like, and the currently focused on Octarius War is giving us another glimpse at what large organizations of Orks are like.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The core of 40K is black political humor/commentary featuring a bunch of civilizations that are cartoonishly horrid to live in and operate in a perpetual state of a pre-apocalypse that somehow never quite happens. Its writers have spent a long time burying the underlying silliness at the root of it with a gothic space opera preying on the audience's continuing fascination with He-Man and Transformers.

Stuff like the "Dark Angels" faction being led by "Lion'el Johnson" and being concerned with some kind of deep secret about their true nature that they are very embarrassed about is still there. But mostly as Tibalt says, you pick which faction you like the aesthetics and attitude of to stand on top of the skulls.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Yeah orks do not by and large have mass production of any kind. They have excellent mechanics for repairing stuff and making individual grand projects like the gargants, but they don't really make their own stuff.

This is also rather wrong; Orks have built-in knowledge enough that most tend to build their own guns, which are crude but functional- the 'gestalt psychic field' thing is massively overstated by fans and some writers. Dark Heresy specifically has Ork weaponry be usable by humans, though it's unreliable.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So is 'Red Wunz Go Fasta' derived from the common belief (fact?) that red cars are more likely to be stopped for speeding?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Orks have a Mad Max recycled/jury-rigged aesthetic that allows them to make a functional version of anything anyone else uses, that sometimes actually works better. If it's unstable and randomly kills and maims smaller orks when you turn it on, they've only achieved parity with everyone else's technology.

For some reason it makes a section of ork fans really mad that it's ever implied that the mostly-comedy faction's technology only works because they collectively believe it works, even though everyone's technology in 40K is equally as silly as that. The second option widely presented is that a given percentage of orks are engineered with an innate and almost subconscious ability to just build whatever they need to.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The second option widely presented is that a given percentage of orks are engineered with an innate and almost subconscious ability to just build whatever they need to.

I mean this is literally canon, Meks and Doks have an intuitive calling to engineering and medicine respectively as part of how a fully functioning Ork community can literally spring out of the ground from spores given enough time.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Orks iz are legitimately better than other factions at force fields and tractor beams and that general type of thing IIRC.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Orks have a Mad Max recycled/jury-rigged aesthetic that allows them to make a functional version of anything anyone else uses, that sometimes actually works better. If it's unstable and randomly kills and maims smaller orks when you turn it on, they've only achieved parity with everyone else's technology.

For some reason it makes a section of ork fans really mad that it's ever implied that the mostly-comedy faction's technology only works because they collectively believe it works, even though everyone's technology in 40K is equally as silly as that. The second option widely presented is that a given percentage of orks are engineered with an innate and almost subconscious ability to just build whatever they need to.

The second option is the one that’s textually true. Orks are an engineered race of supersoldiers that long outlived their creators. Part of the way they’re designed to function is having intuitive grasp of primitive technology that gets the job done. They DO have psychic powers as well but they aren’t literally relying on it to make everything work. They don’t need to.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

It's worth noting that Orks themselves never waste much time debating any of this, they're far too busy having fun.
What would be a crushing existential uncertainty for many humans is not even an afterthought to Orks.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

In Warhammer, the Warp interacts with the subconscious in such a way that, at least with orks, belief influences reality. The Chaos deities are manifestations of the universe's collected pathos and desperation - it's internally consistent that another approach might produce smaller, individual results.

Or maybe orks just paint their fastest vehicles red.

It's a good setting when you can still have a fun mystery after 30+ years of world building.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

This has all drifted far afield from tabletop gaming politics, but I feel like it's worth noting that 'orc technology working on clap-your-hands-if-you-believe' being dubiously canonical is actually excellent, because it means that the playerbase's thinking that ork technology works because orks believe it works may possibly be true-ish because the playerbase believes it's true.

More topically, Dave Morris appears to have settled down to the occasional snide side-sniping about the whole 'my dead idol who wrote the neo-nazi novel was no nazi and anyone who thinks otherwise is the real nazis' thing, but he HAS posted one undoubtedly political and obviously false statement:

https://twitter.com/RealDaveMorris/status/1509215848984190977?cxt=HHwWgoC9gbH05_EpAAAA

lies

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 31, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

moths posted:

In Warhammer, the Warp interacts with the subconscious in such a way that, at least with orks, belief influences reality. The Chaos deities are manifestations of the universe's collected pathos and desperation - it's internally consistent that another approach might produce smaller, individual results.

Or maybe orks just paint their fastest vehicles red.

It's a good setting when you can still have a fun mystery after 30+ years of world building.

Isn't it basically implied that the Chaos factions are directly fueled by the very actions the Imperium and others take, directly fueling the Chaos factions through the mind-numbingly insane dystopian world they want to achieve?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Isn't it basically implied that the Chaos factions are directly fueled by the very actions the Imperium and others take, directly fueling the Chaos factions through the mind-numbingly insane dystopian world they want to achieve?

More than implied, though the factions themselves are just one aspect of the existential, all-pervasive nature of chaos in the setting.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah, it's part of the overarching theme that endless war isn't the answer. If the Imperium spent resources on infrastructure and care of its citizens the way it does war, Chaos would evaporate in a generation.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

moths posted:

Yeah, it's part of the overarching theme that endless war isn't the answer. If the Imperium spent resources on infrastructure and care of its citizens the way it does war, Chaos would evaporate in a generation.

And yet endless war is the premise of the game about endless battles for which you should buy and paint miniatures/run various RPG campaigns.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Absurd Alhazred posted:

And yet endless war is the premise of the game about endless battles for which you should buy and paint miniatures/run various RPG campaigns.

Endless War is now Endless Infrastructure Week.

Like Sim City 2000 but with crazy space Catholics.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

40k just a different kind of tabletop game.

Although it does make me think of how the Halo books went out of their way to establish Earth as fascist to explain how they had such a developed space military to fight the Covenant with. (but also the fascism of Earth was justified by the anti-earth rebels doing a 9/11). The games didn't have anything about Earth being fascist and were just straightforward space army fights the bad and corrupt aliens until the game series switched developers.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CommieGIR posted:

In the grim darkness of the future, there is only scaffolding.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

You ever notice in Sim City 2000 that churches pop up on (I want to say) residential zoned tiles, but if you go and demolish the church, the land underneath is no longer zoned? It's been crazy christians all along, friends :dawkins101:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

moths posted:

I'm not entirely sure that's actually true. For one thing the endless war really only supercharges Khorne and maybe Nurgle.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Telsa Cola posted:

I'm not entirely sure that's actually true. For one thing the endless war really only supercharges Khorne and maybe Nurgle.
Slaanesh is probably into the endless poetry.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Slanesh is Vogon?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The monotony of "endless" fuels Slaanesh and the hopelessness is high octane Tzeentch fuel.

It's not just the war, it's also the imperium's crushing oppression.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

moths posted:

The monotony of "endless" fuels Slaanesh and the hopelessness is high octane Tzeentch fuel.

It's not just the war, it's also the imperium's crushing oppression.

No, thats wrong on both accounts.

Slaanesh gets off on sensation and emotional excess.

Tzeentch is literally the god of change and plans. Hope and the ability to change your future falls into this.

Hoplessness (in part) and stasis is Nurgles deal and why he is opposed to Tzeentch. Nurgle is about the inevitablility of death and decay which is also why it's funny that he is the "nicest" of the lot.

This is all moot point though, humans are all baseline reasonably psychic active, are heavily implied to becoming more psychically active as the years go on, and are incredibly numerous. The Warp is always going to be an issue for them, especially given the reliance on it for travel and communication. The Emperor's plan to deal with this was to basically shunt everyone into/rely heavily on the shielded webway and avoid that poo poo all together.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 31, 2022

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

My understanding is that, at the time of their birth, Slaanesh was the strongest due to glutting themselves on a hedonistic race of super psychic space elves.

But by the time of 40k "there is only war" so they have fallen into last place.

At the same time, I read a Slaanesh sourcebook once which has this to say:

"One day, Khorne will run out of foes, Nurgle’s tally of plagues will be completed, and Tzeentch’s schemes shall reach their conclusion. None, however, can foresee a time when men shall set aside their darkest passions and selfish desires and forego that which they most crave."

Makes sense to me.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Telsa Cola posted:

No, thats wrong on both accounts.

It's aspirational - the monotony of imperial life fuels desires, for both excess stimulation and dramatic change

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Idleness begets heresy, and lack of affordable public transportation begets idleness. Build LRT out to the suburbs, and improve subway and bus stations in the downtown core, in the Emperor's Name. Suffer not to exist the xeno, the mutant, or the traffic jam.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Telsa Cola posted:

Hopelessness (in part) and stasis is Nurgles deal and why he is opposed to Tzeentch. Nurgle is about the inevitablility of death and decay which is also why it's funny that he is the "nicest" of the lot.
I'm curious, how does Nurgle's "niceness" manifest itself? Like, I always see him described as a loving God in a way that Khorne never is, so I get the general idea.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Nurgle is nice in the way that misery loves company:
If you'll walk towards the cultists with open arms while loudly proclaiming your loneliness and despair you'll get a hug (and much more)
If OTOH you resist or attempt to debate the issue you'll find out Papa Nurgle is an abusive dad.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm curious, how does Nurgle's "niceness" manifest itself? Like, I always see him described as a loving God in a way that Khorne never is, so I get the general idea.

Nurgle wants his subjects alive and thriving in the same way that successful viruses keep their hosts alive long enough to spread

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

It's important to remember that Nurgle takes the pain away but not the illness and gradually your body wastes away, holding together only by the power of the Warp.
So his love is expressed by turning you into a walking bioweapon factory. But at least you'll never get lonely again.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Is that the premise of Necromunda?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Nurgle is Love

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

My understanding is that, at the time of their birth, Slaanesh was the strongest due to glutting themselves on a hedonistic race of super psychic space elves.

I think it's outright stated that Slaanesh was one of the weakest after both Nurgle and Khorne beat up Slaanesh to take their pick of the Eldar gods.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
nurgle cares about you for more than just your blood and your skull or your experience of pleasure and pain or your hubris

nurgle thinks all of you is neat, even the bits that don't have a weird infection yet somehow

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

This unfettered arsehole. The ducks are a vital point of levity in what can be a very serious setting, and they are still fun to play as "straight men" to a lot of what is going on. I don't get people who get so hung up on how "silly" ducks are, when compared with elves, dwarves and halflings.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

On the topic of 40K (but also sci-fi/fantasy in general) I've always found the the conceit of "these space racist humans aren't prejudice against ethnicities because they're too busy being space racist towards aliens" to be rather dubious (even if totally understandable from a marketing perspective).

It's not like 19th century U.S. was too tuckered out from genociding Native Americans and enslaving Africans to not also be hella racist towards Irish, Germans, Italians, Chinese, Jews, Hispanics, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SirPhoebos posted:

On the topic of 40K (but also sci-fi/fantasy in general) I've always found the the conceit of "these space racist humans aren't prejudice against ethnicities because they're too busy being space racist towards aliens" to be rather dubious (even if totally understandable from a marketing perspective).

It's not like 19th century U.S. was too tuckered out from genociding Native Americans and enslaving Africans to not also be hella racist towards Irish, Germans, Italians, Chinese, Jews, Hispanics, etc.

To be fair, I suspect racism in the 40k universe no doubt influences who gets genocided or sacrificed.