Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
We already had the whole "Everybody must be on-campus at least one day per week! No exceptions! Oh but some of you can stay home." song and dance and I look forward to the next time they start rumbling about it and I can respond "get hosed".

I mean, I put in multiple work orders to get my desk height fixed, a taller chair, a keyboard tray, etc., and nothing ever came out of any of it. If I'm gonna be uncomfortable at my desk, I might as well be at home so I can gently caress off and do my dishes on the clock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
there is no way these companies are not screaming at every CEO (and politician) at every single opportunity to "get those loving butts back in those loving seats!"

https://largest.org/misc/commercial-real-estate-companies/

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

CPColin posted:

We already had the whole "Everybody must be on-campus at least one day per week! No exceptions! Oh but some of you can stay home." song and dance and I look forward to the next time they start rumbling about it and I can respond "get hosed".

I mean, I put in multiple work orders to get my desk height fixed, a taller chair, a keyboard tray, etc., and nothing ever came out of any of it. If I'm gonna be uncomfortable at my desk, I might as well be at home so I can gently caress off and do my dishes on the clock.

Hmm how about sky high interest rates on mortgages to curb inflation with a refundable tax credit for job stability to keep you working the land

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Slippery Tilde

CPColin posted:

those sound like a lack of reasonable accommodations to address chronic workplace health problems, you are at risk for repetitive strain injury and this inaction should mean your reasonable accommodation is to continue teleworking

are y'all a unionized campus?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

those sound like a lack of reasonable accommodations to address chronic workplace health problems, you are at risk for repetitive strain injury and this inaction should mean your reasonable accommodation is to continue teleworking

are y'all a unionized campus?

Yes, but I work for an auxiliary that isn't covered by the union, but they did a reorg, so now I report to a manager whose other employees DO belong to the union. No, it doesn't make sense and, no, nobody's given me a satisfactory answer when I've asked if such an arrangement is even allowed.

I didn't even think of the reasonable accommodation angle. That'll make it a lot easier to tell them to get hosed! Haha

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Sydin posted:

That's exactly how my agency is handeling it, lol. They put out an emergency WFH order at the start of COVID that was basically "yeah it's by department, uh, have fun I guess" and that's still the order we're operating under. My department head is super lovely about WFH and trying to claw as many people back as possible, meanwhile entire other departments are still 100% wfh and nobody cares. It's really dumb.

Apparently the execs put together a big shiny new WFH policy but the unions took one look at it and told them to gently caress off, so that's on "indefinite" hold for the time being which means the emergency order is still the law of the land.

yeah, it's super blatant in my agency because the heads of the northern division are rolling with continuing significant telecommuting, and the heads of the southern division are trying to force people back into offices as quickly as possible. so up in sacramento someone with my same title is perfectly fine working from home most days a week, but down in la it's critical that i be sitting in the office

at least my supervisor thinks it's bullshit and is doing her best to ignore it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Slippery Tilde
i'm about to kickoff the reasonable accommodation strategy here, which my union rep just told me today that they have my back for escalating this so that's good

but i'm also straightup actively on chemo so if they try to force me back anyway they'll be eating a lawsuit p quickly, esp if i can directly serve my district chief and force discovery of his, most assuredly terrible, emails about it lol

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

The Glumslinger posted:

It's a blatant effort to prop up commercial real estate prices

Eh, my agency is hinting at 2/week of some flavor (as the policy remains in eternal draft) but they're also super happy telework is in place because HQ had to keep shrinking cubes to stuff people in and at least one of our field offices hit legal capacity. If my office was fully staffed we were going to be full unless we built more cubes in our Junk Zone. Now, the problem is solved and no more space needs to be purchased, and this is coming from the top.

The real problem with the lack of policy is the lack of structure. We have new staff that need training and due to the nature of our work remote training doesn't work great. I could probably get the office set up in a way with various people overlapping for more intense training but without a policy in place to at least point at a structure everything is "well, don't make any real plans because the telework policy may change everything". Like just give me the policy (and let me order a small desk for my home) so I can figure out what expectations are and what I can work with.

The anti-WFH people are in for a real loving rude shock with hiring, though. Housing prices made hiring a challenge for my office pre-covid and at least some WFH has to be on the table to attract anyone decent.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 25, 2022

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
lo

Xaris fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 14, 2022

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
My agency from the top on down has collectively said gently caress working in the office, and last year moved into a new building that only has space for half of us. Owns.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Keeping in mind that I'm a pre-covid WFH employee for a company (Technically I work for a temp agency, but it's a weird arrangement to get around tax nexus issues of remotes being in a variety of states) that's both in California and another state, they reorganized us into another division, hired a new boss, and that boss works from home in Utah (not any of the states that said company is in). Company is starting to fully embrace WFH it seems.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

the UFCW just authorized a strike so be ready for grocery store shenanigans.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
So why are gas prices particularly high in California compared to other states? This article from NY Times suggests the state gas tax, regulatory programs to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and a lack of infrastructure for carrying oil around the state.

VVV Appreciate the detailed response.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 29, 2022

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
California mandates a particular low-emissions blend of gasoline that I don't think is used in any other state. As a result there's way less supply since everything used here either has to be refined in California or refined specifically for California and then shipped here.

This is also why prices tend to spike at the starts of summer and winter: the blend is changed seasonally to reduce emissions in cold and warm weather, and prices go up a bit as all the refineries have to switch over.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Rainbow Knight posted:

Does the strike affect Trader Joe's workers? I want to support the strikers but I also need my cats cookies.

cats cookies are not for cat consumption, and are not made from real cats

also, I don't need cats cookies but tj's is a reliable place for stilton cheese

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Trader Joe's is non-union & aggressively fights attempts to unionize, so not really, but UFCW would like you to not shop there even during non-strike times

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Foxfire_ posted:

Trader Joe's is non-union & aggressively fights attempts to unionize, so not really, but UFCW would like you to not shop there even during non-strike times

I guess I'm eating out this week

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

just remember do not cross the picket line

unless you are shoplifting

or filling a cart full of frozen items, having the scab scan all of it, and then saying you forgot your wallet and walking out

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

they haven't actually decided to strike yet, obv it's likely considering the strike auth vote passed but hey maybe the powers that be realize they're being dumbfucks and settle before they have to. It could happen, my union authorized a strike a few years ago that we ended up not needing to follow up on.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Wicked Them Beats posted:

or filling a cart full of frozen items, having the scab scan all of it, and then saying you forgot your wallet and walking out

:hmmyes:

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Or "misplacing" items throughout the store, putting the fish in the pasta aisle to thaw out, mixing up the beers in six packs, swapping out the prices of items

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Rainbow Knight posted:

This is just for Southern California workers btw. Albertsons, Pavilions, Ralphs, and Vons.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Albertsons owns Pavilions, Vons, and Safeway by the way because we live in a late-stage capitalist hellscape. Only Ralphs is apart, by virtue of being owned by Kroger which is an even larger grocery conglomerate than Albertsons.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Imagine believing there's anything even resembling ethical consumption under capitalism, lol.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I worked for Trader Joe's years ago and can confirm we were regularly shown anti-union propaganda at mandatory all-hands meetings.

I still shop there because my lust for those little crispy chocolate chip cookies in the tub is greater than my love of communism.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Gangringo posted:

I worked for Trader Joe's years ago and can confirm we were regularly shown anti-union propaganda at mandatory all-hands meetings.

I still shop there because my lust for those little crispy chocolate chip cookies in the tub is greater than my love of communism.

Capitalism keeps on winning. :smug:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Rainbow Knight posted:

Looks like the strike is SoCal only

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

BeAuMaN posted:

Keeping in mind that I'm a pre-covid WFH employee for a company (Technically I work for a temp agency, but it's a weird arrangement to get around tax nexus issues of remotes being in a variety of states) that's both in California and another state, they reorganized us into another division, hired a new boss, and that boss works from home in Utah (not any of the states that said company is in). Company is starting to fully embrace WFH it seems.

I've been a temp at my job for over 5 years, like nearly everyone I work with. Forever-temps seem to be the cool thing for tech companies to do these days.

They canceled all WFH options for everyone here a few days ago because management just doesn't like it, despite hearing of no actual problems with the WFH situation. They also gave us about two week's warning before everyone has to be back onsite full-time, or else. Some of these people don't even have cars anymore, so that's going to be a problem.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Robot Hobo posted:

I've been a temp at my job for over 5 years, like nearly everyone I work with. Forever-temps seem to be the cool thing for tech companies to do these days.

They canceled all WFH options for everyone here a few days ago because management just doesn't like it, despite hearing of no actual problems with the WFH situation. They also gave us about two week's warning before everyone has to be back onsite full-time, or else. Some of these people don't even have cars anymore, so that's going to be a problem.
I'm sorry to hear your management has bad ideas about WFH.

For us we're all in different states and in our case were "remotes" before "WFH" was such a common term, though it's nice to see The Office get on that bandwagon too. Before we were temps we were contractors... but naturally IRS started going harder on "When is someone an employee and when are they a contractor?" question, along with tax nexus issues, and naturally we fell into the employee box, so their solution was to put us under a temp agency since the temp agency has offices in every state, so they can handle the taxes, regulations, etc.

I've been mostly okay with this arrangement, and they've been increasing our pay, time off, and benefits to start bringing us more on-par with office employees (who WFH a lot now), however the temp agency controls the health/dental/etc. During the COVID pandemic two of the temp agency's offices in southern California consolidated (which is the office that's handling the company's remote employees for the most part), and after that they tanked our benefits to some crappy plan, then after complaints brought back a new plan that's still not as good as the old one. I wasn't affected too hard, given I just go with a California marketplace medical plan, but some of my coworkers in other states don't have great marketplace options, so they were affected pretty hard. I mean... I'm still mad about the dental. We had uh... I think up to $2000/year in dental work I could get done (with the usual split payment percentages), and now we get up to $1250 (when they had the lovely plans it was up to $750). I put off getting work done during that time because "holy crap COVID" so I lost out on that.

They're talking about moving us over to another agency or moving us in-house, but we'll see what happens. Mainly because we've made complaints since, apart from the benefits issue, the temp agency we're under is extremely incompetent. The company set it up so we have PTO, but the temp agency is supposed to manage it, and the temp agency miscalculates the PTO all the loving time. You have to call your contact at the agency (who's generally nice, but that's his job), and have him correct it if it doesn't show up right in your employment portal/paycheck, and the contact will manually audit it using a spreadsheet. The company handles all holidays, bereavement, etc. so at least the temp agency can't screw that up. The temp agency's software is so bad I'm not sure how they've been able to stay in business this long, but they find a way!

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
https://mobile.twitter.com/CalMatters/status/1509191436146810889

I’m sure there is no possible way this could blow up in the Democrats faces if they try this.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 31, 2022

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I'm still in bed. Thank you, Cesar.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Nucleic Acids posted:

I’m sure there is no possible way this could blow up in the Democrats faces if they try this.

What qualifies as "proof"? Can I just show my 23andMe profile? Do I have to get an unbroken list of birth certificates for poor sharecroppers and slaves who usually did not have those things?

Like building out ancestry and family trees is usually a non-trivial task.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 1, 2022

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

quarantinethepast posted:

What qualifies as "proof"? Can I just show my 23andMe profile? Do I have to get an unbroken list of birth certificates for poor sharecroppers and slaves who usually did not have those things?

Elizabeth Warren will be in touch. The CDC recommends fasting for 24 hours before your bloodwork is drawn, as certain foods and beverages may affect your eligibility to receive reparations.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Centrist Committee posted:

Elizabeth Warren will be in touch. The CDC recommends fasting for 24 hours before your bloodwork is drawn, as certain foods and beverages may affect your eligibility to receive reparations.

It would definitely be missing the forest for the trees if a white-passing person can get reparations while a black person can't get anything because their ancestors immigrated here in 1900. The whole concept of proving ancestry is stupid and a misunderstanding of how race works.

E: like scholarships don't work like this, I can't think of anything else that works like this to help black people.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 1, 2022

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I’ve got bad news about the state of the forests and the trees in California…

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Congratulations to the descendants of Sally Hemings.

Seriously CA Dems you dumb fucks. Just send out checks.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Trust the dems and esp CA dems to means test the fuuuck out of everything

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Nucleic Acids posted:

*excludes ancestors who were arrested for the crime of being black or were given a bad review during a fiscal year

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 1, 2022

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

quote not edit woes

e: double post but realistically they're not going to do anything because their business model doesn't demand any kind of success or competence. when everything is on fire they'll be saying the same poo poo from their air conditioned fortresses

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Just send out checks.
You are a lot more optimistic than I am about how well "File a form (that nobody will ever see for social pressure), get a presumably non-insignificant check" would work as far as directing money to Black people specifically. Aiming at proxies like income, health, or geographical area would work better, or just give up on testing entirely and rely on a fixed check meaning more to poorer people (who are also more likely to be minorities)