Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Human Tornada posted:

Maybe I'm just a stick in the mud but I wouldn't be too thrilled if I were in the hospital and heard the staff using cringy "badass" George RR Martin style nicknames with each other.

Snowborn and Gravewalker are the worst ones. "Speedy" is fine. "Archer" is okay but should be Deadeye or Hawkeye or Pot-shot, Seer should be The Medium, Gravewalker should be Redeye or Insomniac, and nobody should be nicknamed King particularly if you have a passable reason to earnestly call them "Chief" instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for having a "vulgar" and unproffesional nickname?

Nicknames are pretty stupid but that woman is going to learn a harsh lesson about joining a close knit group of workers in a serious/high adrenaline environment and immediately starting to pick fights with everyone over something stupid that they do to burn off steam

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Prank needlessly making another person's life unpleasant time!

AITA for not eating my meal at my cousins wedding because my dad changed my selection

quote:

Several years ago my grandparents had a 50th anniversary party. It was set up kinda like a wedding reception so we had a choice for the meal, the options were 2 different German foods and steak. I was like 16 so I chose steak.

Then at the actual event someone couldn't come and orders were mixed up and I ended up with a pickle wrapped in meat. Everyone insisted that was what I picked. So I tried it, but then gave it to my dad because I didn't like it. Later they realized that I ended up with the person that couldn't comes food. No big deal.

Well since then this has become a joke with my family. They've done it 2-3 times since, whenever there's a wedding/event with food selections. When my grandma was alive she yelled at my dad for it since he's the instigator. I'm not sure if he's doing it to get 2 meals or to be annoying, make me mad or what the deal is.

My cousin got married Saturday, a few weeks ago they sent out cards to pick our meal. They sent all of ours (Dad's, mine, sisters) to my dad's house, with one return envelope. The options were steak, chicken, or stuffed portobello mushrooms. I selected steak, and specifically told my dad to "just let me have a drat steak instead of messing with it". He said "I won't write anything on your card".

Then fast forward to Saturday, everything is going well, wedding is nice. We sit down to dinner and they give me mushroom stuffed with vegetarian pilaf. I said "there must be a mistake I selected the beef". Server said that the star on my place card meant I ordered vegetarian.

I looked at my dad and he laughed and said "I called Natalie after we sent our cards and told her you became a vegetarian and wanted to change your choice". My sister was there and said "dad don't you think that's getting old". I said "you said you wouldn't mess with it" he said "No I said I wouldn't write on your card, I didn't. I called her, now you have to eat mushrooms ha ha ". I said "no I don't". Some time passed and my dad said "seriously you're not even going to try it? They'rejust mushrooms they won't hurt you" I shook my head. I hate mushrooms and I'm sick of this joke.

I sat there til other people started getting up, then I got up and went by the bar and had a beer, and avoided my dad til I left.

My sister later said that I should have at least tried a little, it was kinda rude to just leave a whole plate of food sitting there. She said I could have had some of the rice stuff, but for all I know there were mushrooms in the pilaf too.

Honestly this makes me not want to go to anymore family events with a meal.

AITA for not eating any of my food during the wedding.

Like goddamn dude, way to take something that could just be a funny memory to joke about, and turn it into something that makes your kid hate you

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for "negging" a guy back?

Semi-related, I have a friend who responds to catcalls by pointing at each dude in the catcalling group and loudly ranking their attractiveness with the catcaller always being the lowest. It's produced some beautiful meltdowns.

There was an edit i like

quote:

Edit.. a bunch of y'all guessed that the point I was trying to make, ny mirroring his own behavior back, was going over his head. And I genuinely wanted him to get the point because maybe there'd be a chance he wouldn't just go diss the next girl.

So I sent one last text in response to him calling me a bitch saying..

"Haha dude it was just a bit, I thought you were the type of guy who could take a joke"

(Side note... He often would respond to me saying I didn't appreciate a comment by being like "Chill, it's just a joke, I hoped you were the sort of girl who could take a joke)

"I thought I'd try those little negging jokes you like. TBH they're not really my sense of humor, just too mean spirited for my tastes. So I don't really think we're compatible. Best of luck with dating though... And a bit of advice, girls don't really respect it if you want to dish it but can't take it. If you're sensitive like that about jokes, maybe don't start that kinda joking with the next girl. Just be kind and genuine, and she'll want to return that energy!

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for having a "vulgar" and unproffesional nickname?

Was hoping the had the name Gravewalker because he hosed a super sexy spider once.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
AITA for kicking out my GF's family for tying up my dog?

quote:

I (M48) have a GF "Mariah" (F40) that I've been seeing for two years. I live in the northeast USA. I also have a dog "Boots" (M3) - Boots is a working dog breed, but is well behaved and loved by my friends and neighbors. He has the run of the house, and I also have a big fenced in backyard for him to run around in.

Mariah grew up in the south on a farm. She's been around dogs before, but they've always been outside dogs that worked the farm and slept in the barn or kennels. She never had an "indoor" dog like Boots and it was an adjustment to get used to him, but she loves him now. She did mention to me that her mother would never get used to an indoor dog, and would absolutely not allow a dog in the kitchen.

Mariah's mom and brothers wanted to visit her, but Mariah lives in a small one BR apartment and doesn't have the room for them. Their family also can't afford a hotel. Mariah asked if the family could stay in my house. My house has plenty of space, so I agreed. They came, and things mostly went well, but as expected, Mariah's mom kept making comments about Boots being allowed indoors, and how that wasn't right. I told them (gently) that I'll keep Boots from bothering them (not allowing him in their bedrooms, trying to keep him underfoot), but this is my home, with my rules and Boots gets to hang indoors with me. Aside from being around, Boots didn't do anything provoke them. He generally chills in whatever room I'm in, unless someone is actively playing with him.

One morning, I woke up late and came downstairs to see Mariah's family making/eating breakfast. I noticed that Boots wasn't around and I asked where he was. Mariah's mom said "dogs don't belong in the kitchen, so we put him outside." I was slightly annoyed, but Boots likes being outside, so I figured it wasn't a big deal. I looked out the window thinking I would see him on my back deck (his usual spot) but he wasn't there. I stepped outside to find him, and still couldn't see him. I went around the corner of the house and found Boots tied up to the fence using rope from kindling bundles I have for my fire pit. After untying Boots, I went back inside and asked Mariah's mom why they tied up my dog. She said that dogs shouldn't be allowed to run around, and she was just treating him like a dog should be treated.

I told them to pack their poo poo and GTFO. Mariah and her mom called me an AH because they had nowhere else to go. I said that was their problem, if they couldn't respect me and my dog, they had to get out. AITA?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Many newer cars have adaptive cruise control, so it will slow down and speed back up to the set speed depending on traffic. You still need to deal with stop signs and lights and kids popping into the road, but it's a lot safer in general since now both you and the car can prevent running into another car and all of your attention can be on steering and stopping if necessary.

Until you drive a borrowed/rented car that doesn't have it and crash because you expected it to do it for you.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
^^^ do you think cruise control is like autopilot or something? You still have to pay attention to the road

Captain Hygiene posted:

Prank needlessly making another person's life unpleasant time!

AITA for not eating my meal at my cousins wedding because my dad changed my selection

Like goddamn dude, way to take something that could just be a funny memory to joke about, and turn it into something that makes your kid hate you

I enjoyed the description of Rouladen as a pickle wrapped in meat :D

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

^^^ do you think cruise control is like autopilot or something? You still have to pay attention to the road

I enjoyed the description of Rouladen as a pickle wrapped in meat :D

Lol, I was wondering what dish they could've been talking about. That sounds good, I'll have to try making it.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lol, I was wondering what dish they could've been talking about. That sounds good, I'll have to try making it.

Pretty easy too, you can see the ingredients here:

roll them up, tie w twine or use toothpicks, and brown on each side .. Remove from pan, Make a gravy, return to pan and bake covered for a little bit. Definitely follow a recipe but that's 90% of it. :cheers:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Bruceski posted:

Until you drive a borrowed/rented car that doesn't have it and crash because you expected it to do it for you.

People get so defensive about safety features. It was the same thing with anti lock brakes and back-up cameras or blind spot indicators, a bunch of people had to chime that they were great drivers and these were just distractions or a waste of money. Meanwhile actual data shows that all of these things make driving provably safer.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Dr. Stab posted:

Aside from the oil changes, these habits are done by literally every rich person I know, but not all poor people. Having enough yard space for a clothesline, or having a small herb garden are not poor people things.

Not repeating dresses is like, a celebrity stylist thing, right? I don't know anybody so wasteful as to buy a dress to wear once and then toss it.

I guess maybe that last one makes me think that his conception of poor people is more in line with my conception of rich people, and his rich people are literal billionaires.

Not repeating dresses (or significant outfits) is very much a Massively Rich, Stylish Person thing. IRL, I think it's primarily the domain of celebrity stylists and models who can get away with borrowing clothes from work.

In media, the first people I think of who do that are Veronica Lodge, and Charlotte from the Princess Frog. Both of whom are intended as stereotypes of rich girls who are nice enough, really, but so very rich that they have no concept of scale or self-restraint. There's at least one story where Veronica lets Betty pick out a whole bunch of barely-used swimsuits from her closet, because she's just going to toss the whole closet's worth of them so she has room for the brand new this-season swimsuits she's getting...because being seen wearing the same swimsuit more than once, or being seen in (gasp, horror) last season's swimsuit is just beyond the pale. And Charlotte managed to keep Tiana and her mom fed and sheltered with her unslakable need for new princess dresses.

Sisal Two-Step posted:

AITA for lecturing a little girl after I nearly hit her with my car and then telling her parents?

External Organs posted:

Cruise control for a 35 mph road?? :catstare:

Talking to the kid and making sure she was okay was good, the parents were a bit much imo

Yeah, agreed. Making sure the kid was okay, and maybe going "please be more careful about looking both ways and wearing protective gear in future, I would hate to have had to tell your parents that you got hurt because you darted in front of my car and I couldn't stop in time". But going "take me to your parents so I can scold them for raising an Irresponsible Scooter-User" is, uh, over the line there.

Sisal Two-Step posted:

I liked the parents in Matilda better when they were played by Danny DeVito and Rhea Perlman.

Hey now. Matilda's mom actually genuinely cared about Matilda's well-being and happiness, she just didn't understand Matilda at all and had a very hard time understanding that her daughter might have wildly different interests than her own. But she did love Matilda and want the best for her.

Matilda's dad, however, gave no fucks about anything or anyone that didn't serve his own interests. Matilda's mom didn't quite grasp this, I feel, because so many of his interests matched hers or seemed like they did.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I was picturing something closer to "whole dill pickle wrapped in sandwich meat", which would actually be bizarre enough that I might only get a few bites in before being done with trying it. I was also very confused about how that could possibly be substantial enough to be anything but an appetizer, tbh.

Pomme de Terror posted:

AITA for kicking out my GF's family for tying up my dog?
Oh jfc. NTA, and good on OP for tossing them out. Being so opposed to the idea of a dog being an indoor pet that you not only can't stop bitching about your host's indoor dog, but yeeting the dog outside at the first opportunity and tying it up with some janky makeshift leash that could either break or get chewed apart (and let the dog run free into the streets, assuming I'm correct in picturing that the GF's family wouldn't even let the dog be in its own backyard) or do the dog some harm...and doing that when you're relying on them for room and board while you visit?

Well, that sure must have been a mighty delicious looking hand, is all I can say.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

roll them up, tie w twine or use toothpicks, and brown on each side .. Remove from pan, Make a gravy, return to pan and bake covered for a little bit. Definitely follow a recipe but that's 90% of it. :cheers:

I am so making this. Thank you.

Is it normal for my girlfriend to kick me out in the morning?[new]

quote:

tl;dr my girlfriend kicks me out in the morning when she has to go to work, because I should only sleep as much as she does. Is that normal?

So me (male, 18) and my girlfriend (20) are both in college, she has a side job. I often sleep at her place, and when she has to wake up and go to work early in the morning, she‘s always a bit annoyed and kicks me out, not wanting me to sleep in, on days when I could (corona makes my study schedule quite flexible)

So, on one hand, I completely understand how it could be a bit annoying having your boyfriend sleeping in while you‘re working, and I feel guilty even thinking about this because it‘s such a small thing.

On the other hand, I wouldn‘t even think about kicking her out if the situation was reversed. I‘d just let her sleep in; It wouldn‘t affect me in any way, and I‘d feel childish for doing that, after all I love her, I‘d be happy if she gets to sleep in sometimes.

For me it’s not about whether I get to sleep in or not; It‘s about what it implies. She goes out of her way to wake me up, is annoyed at me and kicks me out because I should only be allowed to sleep as much as her.

Of course, it’s so petty. But I do wonder, is that normal?

I know sleep and laziness does not earn sympathy, but, again, it‘s about what it implies. Is there some way of thinking about it that I‘m missing. I feel like I‘m wrong, I just genuinely am struggling to understand how.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

this is very much my jam thx for sharing (i too wondered what that was about lol)

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Motronic posted:

I am so making this. Thank you.

She’s not your girlfriend buddy

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Motronic posted:

I suppose the question here is "Is she comfortable with your in her space when she's not around?" Uni kids being territorial about their first sovereign space is normal.

If she's fine with him staying, just not sleeping, then uh...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

People get so defensive about safety features. It was the same thing with anti lock brakes and back-up cameras or blind spot indicators, a bunch of people had to chime that they were great drivers and these were just distractions or a waste of money. Meanwhile actual data shows that all of these things make driving provably safer.

Eh, ABS was poo poo on a lot of things from its introduction in the 80s until at least the early 2000s in decreasing proportions. Like, it was always fine on dry pavement, but things could get pretty sketchy in the wet or snow and was enough to turn a lot of people's opinions on it. This has NOT been the case for a long time, but like.....I've had some ABS experiences that were much worse than they should have been - early 90s GM rear-only-ABS only on pickups comes to mind as something that was a problem on multiple occasions (the back end of an S10 of the time hops with an unloaded bed in several common conditions) and several manufacturers stuff in the rain and snow pre 2005-ish. That's not to say these actual issues of the long past aren't being used by people who have no experience with them doing the durr hrr I'm a great driver don't need no 'puters thing.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Found this one about a tasty feeding hand while looking up that one

Added formatting since his/her spelling is rough enough

quote:

Atm my girlfeiend lives with three room mates. Every time we have an argument or disagreement she tells me to leave her house. It's happened too many times to keep count. Sometimes at like 2 in the morning... Today I took her out to do all her shopping because she doesn't have a car or license. We go do all her food shopping and get everything she needed at multiple stores.

Then when we get back to hers, we both wanted a coffee. As I'm waiting for the kettle to boil and she then goes to her room to put some things away.

When she gets back she was agitated at me for not washing some cups for us because they were all dirty, and she begrudgingly washed them making it known to me that she was pissed. (I feel really uncomfortable at hers because of her asking me to leave all the time and don't want to do anything that can be picked on, so I waited for her) when we go back to her room I told her I didn't like the way I was treated and I think that after really helping her to make her life less stressful I would of liked to not feel targeted for such a small issue. She disagreed and thinks I was just starting drama and then after some more of our different opinions said "Well you should just leave".

It makes me feel worthless and so uncomfortable at her house I have never in my life told someone to leave my house no matter the issue. I don't know how to take it, and I don't feel like ever going back to her house.

https://rareddit.com/r/relationship_advice/comments/d83ah4/my_girlfriend_kicks_me_out_her_house_every_time/

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Serephina posted:

I suppose the question here is "Is she comfortable with your in her space when she's not around?" Uni kids being territorial about their first sovereign space is normal.

If she's fine with him staying, just not sleeping, then uh...

Yeah it’s either this or she’s not willing/able to give him a key

How weird it is depends on how long they’ve been together

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Motronic posted:

Eh, ABS was poo poo on a lot of things from its introduction in the 80s until at least the early 2000s in decreasing proportions. Like, it was always fine on dry pavement, but things could get pretty sketchy in the wet or snow and was enough to turn a lot of people's opinions on it. This has NOT been the case for a long time, but like.....I've had some ABS experiences that were much worse than they should have been - early 90s GM rear ABS only on pickups comes to mind as something that was a problem on multiple occasions and several manufacturers stuff in the snow pre 2005-ish. That's not to say these actual issues of the long past aren't being used by people who have no experience with them doing the durr hrr I'm a great driver don't need no 'puters thing.

I think modern ABS is still worse than manually pumping in particularly bad ice/snow. I’m not an expert or a particular experienced ice/snow driver but me and my girlfriend tested it out on an empty road after heavy heavy snow and found that it consistently stopped in a lot less distance when I backed off the brake every time it locked up versus just slammed the break down and held it. Like, almost half the distance. This was with a very new rented Toyota sedan.

This was very extreme snow and ice conditions though, up in the Rockies.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I think modern ABS is still worse than manually pumping in particularly bad ice/snow. I’m not an expert or a particular experienced ice/snow driver but me and my girlfriend tested it out on an empty road after heavy heavy snow and found that it consistently stopped in a lot less distance when I backed off the brake every time it locked up versus just slammed the break down and held it. Like, almost half the distance. This was with a very new rented Toyota sedan.

Seriously? The most you could say is that ABS was worse in that one particular car, in that one particular environment. You absolutely cannot extrapolate that to all ABS all the time in "bad" ice.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

From googling it apparently particularly icy/gravely conditions where all the wheels lose traction simultaneously can cause ABS systems to not behave properly which may require manual pumping.

On the other hand it says ABS is great at dealing with patches of ice which is a much more common problem and more likely to happen at high speed, unless of course you’re a Pennsylvanian or Virginian and will continue drive at 80 mph down the totally iced and snowed over freeway into a freak blizzard past the wrecks of their compatriots until physically encountering an overturned tractor trailer.

Still never a good reason to manually deactivate abs unless you’re on a race track or showing off your wicked sick Tokyo drift skillz since there isn’t really a downside and it probably still helps you if you pump a little too hard in the rare case you need to pump.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

carry on then posted:

Seriously? The most you could say is that ABS was worse in that one particular car, in that one particular environment. You absolutely cannot extrapolate that to all ABS all the time in "bad" ice.

Yes.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

it probably still helps you if you pump a little too hard in the rare case you need to pump.

Finally

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

From googling it apparently particularly icy/gravely conditions where all the wheels lose traction simultaneously can cause ABS systems to not behave properly which may require manual pumping.

On the other hand it says ABS is great at dealing with patches of ice which is a much more common problem and more likely to happen at high speed, unless of course you’re a Pennsylvanian or Virginian and will continue drive at 80 mph down the totally iced and snowed over freeway into a freak blizzard past the wrecks of their compatriots until physically encountering an overturned tractor trailer.

Still never a good reason to manually deactivate abs unless you’re on a race track or showing off your wicked sick Tokyo drift skillz since there isn’t really a downside and it probably still helps you if you pump a little too hard in the rare case you need to pump.

https://youtu.be/p8uEwsBL50c

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I was making a reference. Forgot y'all aren't in my head.
https://www.askamanager.org/2017/07...w-and-more.html

quote:

My job involves visiting clients and vendors at their offices, going to other offices for meetings, and visiting job sites. All of these visits are done via company car, anywhere from 20 minutes to a few hours away from my workplace once or twice a week. My coworker was coming back from a job site when she caused a collision by driving into the back of an 18-wheel truck. She says she forgot that company cars don’t have a sensor which slows or stops the car automatically if there is an object or traffic like her personal vehicle does. She had the cruise control engaged because it was on the highway and traffic was stopping or slowing down in front of her and she didn’t slow down or brake and crashed into the back of a truck.

My coworker walked away without a scratch, but she had one of our students along and she ended up with a broken radius bone. The car had to be written off and my coworker was found at fault by both insurance companies and the police. She was arrested and charged by the police. But she has not been disciplined or spoken to about it here at work and the company is still allowing her to drive places in a company car. The student never came back because she was so mad at my coworker and some people have expressed concern about getting into a car with her after what happened. Management says it is fine and won’t authorize anyone else to drive in her place. There are only a couple of other people in my division who the company has authorized to drive their cars, and if those other people are out or not here my coworker is the only choice. How do I express my concerns about my safety to management? My coworker continues to minimize what happened and says it was not her fault because she forgot the car doesn’t stop automatically. She also calls her arrest a witchhunt and says the student exaggerated her broken arm to make my coworker look bad to the police. I don’t want to risk my safety by getting into a car with her.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

What loving company cars drive and stop for you? The self driving ones?

AITA for refusing to pretend my partner is my roommate around nieces and nephews?

quote:

My (30f) family is very religious/homophobic, but they've gotten to the point where they are polite to my partner but you can tell they still aren't thrilled.....

I am bisexual and married to a woman (33f), I think they're still hoping I'll end up with a man but whatever.

My sister married into an equally homophobic/religious family, so her husband is equally as intolerant (he speaks to me and my partner as little as possible and when he does gives one word answers).

My twin sister (30f) and BIL (35m) gave the condition that in order to be apart of their kids lives I must pretend my wife is my roommate, as they don't want the kids to "think this is okay." 🙄, They still believe sexual orientation is a choice.

This breaks my heart but I refused. I will not tell anyone how to raise their kids, but I refuse to pretend I'm someone I'm not and I refuse to treat my wife as if I'm ashamed of her.

I told them and my parents if we cannot be ourselves as any other married couple then we will not attend any family gatherings, and it's a shame the kids have to miss out on two awesome aunts because of their bigotry.

AITA?

Funny thing is the kids probably might have picked it up already. Who brings a loving roommate to a family party?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Cowslips Warren posted:

It doesn't stop for you since that would be a safety issue. A safety feature that's been in cars for ~10 years is if the car in front of you begins to stop short while your cruise is on, the car will automatically tap the brakes for you to turn cruise off so you begin drifting to a stop. Sometimes it will flash a little red light on your windshield and vibrate your seat to alert you.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Adaptive cruise will adjust your speed to be whatever the speed of the car is in front of you up to your set maximum speed, it's great. Should probably still look around at what's happening though.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Solenna posted:

Adaptive cruise will adjust your speed to be whatever the speed of the car is in front of you up to your set maximum speed, it's great.

I've only had it in a rental car, it's funny to get used to when you've never driven with it before. So much time spent letting it do its thing, only to realize you've just been sitting behind the person going 10 under the speed limit for a while now. It's really nice, just takes some time to get used to it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Invisible Clergy posted:

It doesn't stop for you since that would be a safety issue. A safety feature that's been in cars for ~10 years is if the car in front of you begins to stop short while your cruise is on, the car will automatically tap the brakes for you to turn cruise off so you begin drifting to a stop. Sometimes it will flash a little red light on your windshield and vibrate your seat to alert you.

My car (a bog-standard Corolla) will absolutely stop for me. It won't start for me for safety reasons - when the car ahead moves I have to give a little tap of the accelerator to tell it to go then it will accelerate to speed by itself.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Cowslips Warren posted:

The Lone Badger posted:

My car (a bog-standard Corolla) will absolutely stop for me. It won't start for me for safety reasons - when the car ahead moves I have to give a little tap of the accelerator to tell it to go then it will accelerate to speed by itself.

I know one of the big car manufacturers had an ad based partially around "our car will automatically stop if it senses something run into your path". I could see a Boomer or a Boomer-brained person going "It'll automatically stop if I'm backing up and something runs past the rearview cameras, that must mean it will prevent me from running into anything ever again".

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Bruceski posted:

Oh you forgot to brake? In that case, please continue to try to kill your coworkers.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

The thing is it might be worse than manually pumping...for an experienced driver who knows what they're doing. Now imagine it's an average moron who starts sliding, has no idea that they're even supposed to pump the brake, panics, and then slams the brake the whole time theyre sliding.

I'm from Texas and tbh I had no idea what Im supposed to do in icy conditions untill I took the super fun slide your car around a slippery track classes for my swedish license.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for exposing my sisters relationship “secrets” at her birthday after she tried to slut shame me?

quote:

So my sister takes huge pride in being a virgin which is of course amazing for her. We were not raised in a religious family and our parents don’t give a poo poo so this is all her pure beliefs as to why she wants to wait until she’s married. She is very judgmental so I kept my sex life to myself around her. In a twisted turn of events I ended up getting pregnant just two months after my IUD :) and being pregnant caused my sister to dislike me even more and shame me more for having sex and telling me she hopes the father would leave me a single mom to teach me a lesson about having casual sex. Safe to say I cut her off during my pregnancy but she begged and apologized her way back after my son was born and we became cordial again.

My sister has a boyfriend she’s been with since she was a junior in high school, she’s now 21 and I’m 22. She always boasted to me about how how they’re waiting till they’re married and how their relationship is built on trust and actual love and not lust and blah blah. To my surprise a few weeks ago my old coworker who I worked with when I was pregnant and who I had confided in about my drama with my sister (cutting her off at the time) calls me and tells me that my sisters boyfriend messaged her on Tinder. She sent me proof of his profile with a fake name with one blurry mirror picture (clearly him) and in the message he said that his girlfriend knows that he has one “just to hook up” because my coworker told him she knows me but then he unmatched her. Luckily she had taken screenshots. To add onto my shock she told me she found my sisters page through mine and already messaged her and my sister blocked her immediately.

I didn’t say anything until her birthday recently. She was having it in the basement of our house and it was a small get together and just family and her boyfriend (she has no friends surprise surprise). At the very end of the party my son woke up so I went to get him and brought him downstairs. My little cousins were playing with him saying he’s so cute and my sister goes: “Awww he is so cute he looks just like his daddy. Wait ____ which one of the ten guys IS his daddy?” And her and her boyfriend start dying of laughter. Everyone went quiet. I was so embarrassed. I then said “His name is “Trevor” and I met him on Tinder. His girlfriend doesn’t care that he sleeps with other girls. I think you know him!” and smirked at her and her boyfriend. I thought they’d be embarrassed and leave it at that without exposing themselves but my sister started screaming saying that I’m a bitch and to get the gently caress out of her party. I went up to my room with my son and that was that. My little cousins put two and two together and made a tinder just to find the profile and they showed my sister downstairs who I could hear shrieking and kicking everyone out. My parents don’t even care about her joke, they’re saying AITA

Beyond ReTarTed.
Dec 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ghost tits

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

something something stones nukes

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mx. posted:

AITA for exposing my sisters relationship “secrets” at her birthday after she tried to slut shame me?

Ok, I'm on your side here, but what is going on in your house in the back there cause your planning around your son seems wild.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I eagerly await all the horrible prank posts tomorrow.

Like so.

AITA for kicking my husband out of the delivery room?

quote:

I (23F) and my husband (24M) just had our first baby. My husband was so excited and was super supportive and caring throughout the pregnancy. The only this is that he became slightly obsessed with watching YouTube and TikTok videos of husbands pulling pranks on their wives while in labor. I didn’t mind at first but then he started casually joking about doing things he saw in the videos saying it would be funny. I clearly stated my distaste for them and asked him not to do anything like what he saw. He agreed and continued to joke about it time to time but I brushed it off since I trusted him and thought nothing would come of it.

The day of the delivery came and I had been in labor for 8 hrs (12 hr total labor). I had just finished another round of contractions when my husband let out the loudest fart, turned to me and said, “what the hell have you been eating OP? It smells disgusting” I immediately recognized that as one of the pranks in the videos. Outraged at him not honoring what I asked him not to do I demanded that he leave the room. He started yo arguing saying it was just a joke but I insisted and luckily the nurse helped get him out. I went through the last 4 hrs of labor by myself since my family lives out of state and I’m not close to my MIL.

After the delivery I told the nurse he could come back into the room and he was fuming. He started demanding that I tell him why I kicked him out. I calmly told him the reason but he was pissed. He hasn’t talked to me in a week. His mom is taking his side saying that I was a complete bitch for kicking him out. Normally he will defend me from her but this time he completely agreed. I might be the rear end in a top hat because I know how much he was looking forward to being there for the birth of our first kid and especially when he got to cut the cord, but I still kicked him out and refused to let him back in. The nursed asked a few times if I wanted him back but each time I said no. AITA for kicking out my husband after a stupid prank he agreed not to do?

Edit: I just wanted to thank everyone for all the support and reassurance on here and wanted to answer some questions and give an update QUESTIONS: he has been bonding with the baby but not quite helping. When he felt like holding her he would just take her from my arms or if MIL was around he would ask her to get the baby. And I know I posted this answer previously but I wanted to put it here in case anyone missed it. If he had been apologetic in anyway I would have let him come back into the delivery room. And the nurse check on him but he was sulking and complaining that I did that.

UPDATE: It’s been a rough first week but thankfully my mother arrived this morning to help out. I talked to my husband (as best I could since he is still upset and ignoring me) and told him how I was feeling (I have been feeling depressed and anxious since we brought the baby home) and that I understood why he was upset but asked him to please see my side. He told me that I had no right to kick him out and that our daughter would come to hate me one day for having him miss her birth. I started crying and begged him to please talk things through instead of saying things out of anger. He refused and said I was under his roof so he had the final say and called me a c*** for kicking him out of the delivery room. I didn’t say anything else to him I just started packing myself and the baby’s things and planned on leaving. He yelled telling me that I couldn’t take anything he paid for (I haven’t worked since the start of the pandemic) I just took the baby and told my mom we were leaving. We are staying at a motel and will drive to my parents house tomorrow. Sorry for the long update but I wanted everyone to know the outcome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've only had it in a rental car, it's funny to get used to when you've never driven with it before. So much time spent letting it do its thing, only to realize you've just been sitting behind the person going 10 under the speed limit for a while now. It's really nice, just takes some time to get used to it.

I've got that in my car, its nice on the highway driving because it just keeps a nice distance from anyone in front of me. I don't think I'd trust it on anything up close, but it works. I definitely have been just following someone going 10 under though, its a little too easy to just let it do its thing.
Now the lane travel assist is the work of the devil, that feature sucks. It tries to keep the car in the lane, but it rides too close to the center for my tastes, and there is just a little too much pushback when I adjust the wheel, like its fighting me. That I don't use.