Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

How Wonderful! posted:

It pops up here and there. Last year's Pride special had a fun story about them as a young couple at the turn of the 20th century.

Being blackmailed by Moriarty no less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

We Got Us A Bread posted:

Sinister's going to be the one to accidentally solve the "the x-men always lose" problem, and i'm so here for the temper tantrum he'd throw about it.

The X-Men always lose because they are incompetent morons in their personal lives, and there is no reality in which Sinister makes that situation better.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I really love the implication that in the Marvel Universe Sherlock Holmes was likely just an alias for Mystique.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

glitchwraith posted:

I really love the implication that in the Marvel Universe Sherlock Holmes was likely just an alias for Mystique.

Is there in-text stuff for this, or is it just linking "Irene Adler" romantically to Holmes?

Mystique would fit better into Moriarty than Holmes...

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I don't think there's any textual evidence to suggest that Sherlock was a real person in the 616 other than Destiny sharing her name with a minor character in a single Sherlock story (christ, I don't get the emphasis some people put on Adler.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

rantmo posted:

I don't think there's any textual evidence to suggest that Sherlock was a real person in the 616 other than Destiny sharing her name with a minor character in a single Sherlock story (christ, I don't get the emphasis some people put on Adler.)

It's one of the few definitive Ls Holmes takes in the canon, is one of the earliest stories and has a female character straight up besting Holmes using one of his own tricks. It'd be more shocking if she wasn't considered notable. Hell, you could say the same thing about Moriarty or Moran, given they appear barely more often.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I know very little about deep Sherlock lore, but I believe the "Mystique == Sherlock" thing comes from some references to her working as a "consulting detective" back in the day when she first met Irene Adler/Destiny.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Honestly, I'm getting the "Mystique = Sherlock" stuff second hand, so I'm likely over emphasizing it just because it's such a fun idea. If nothing else, you could hand-wave that Mystique and Destiny only inspired Doyle, which would also explain away the differences between Destiny and the Irene Adler character from the books.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Mystique is not what I'd call brilliant and Sherlock and Irene famously never do anything together. The entire point is that he's a big insular weirdo but she's so exceptional she actually gets his attention.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Mystique is also not addicted to crack to my knowledge.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mystique could do pretty well by being a remarkable 'master of disguise' and manipulating people. mystique-style detective work wouldn't be terribly different from espionage, and she's certainly done that enough. you can simply say that doyle borrowed a couple of elements but then added a bunch of other character traits that he thought were cool.

it makes more sense than ben grimm being literally, canonically blackbeard the pirate.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

mystique could do pretty well by being a remarkable 'master of disguise' and manipulating people. mystique-style detective work wouldn't be terribly different from espionage, and she's certainly done that enough. you can simply say that doyle borrowed a couple of elements but then added a bunch of other character traits that he thought were cool.

it makes more sense than ben grimm being literally, canonically blackbeard the pirate.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Every legendary figure is either a long-lived or time displaced super hero/villain.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
If you don't think The Thing being Literally Blackbeard isn't the raddest poo poo we are approaching comic books from two completely different roads.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm excited for the thread to form a single opinion between "the comics from before canon mattered ruled" and "canon is important and silly stuff devalues it" and write a Grant Morrison series

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Gologle posted:

If you don't think The Thing being Literally Blackbeard isn't the raddest poo poo we are approaching comic books from two completely different roads.

Easily my favorite Heroclix figure. Even comes with a separate treasure chest piece to fight over. Had him team with Captain Kate Pryde and the Marauders.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Are we going to have to talk about Johnny Blaze's "The Friend" again? (Because I am kinda down for it.)

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Mulva posted:

The X-Men always lose because they are incompetent morons in their personal lives, and there is no reality in which Sinister makes that situation better.

I'll spoiler it, even though I probably don't have to:

Sinister has a bunch of clones of Moira now, and it looks like he's going to be using her timeline thing.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

We Got Us A Bread posted:

I'll spoiler it, even though I probably don't have to:

Sinister has a bunch of clones of Moira now, and it looks like he's going to be using her timeline thing.

I wonder if he can actually do a timeline reset at this point? The implications for the wider Marvel universe are significant so maybe he'll try to something more circumscribed.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I wonder if he can actually do a timeline reset at this point? The implications for the wider Marvel universe are significant so maybe he'll try to something more circumscribed.

The implication seemed to be by killing a Moira clone, Sinister only resets time up to the point the clone was 'born'. I think it's also implied he's already done it several times but I'm less certain of that.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Maduo posted:

The implication seemed to be by killing a Moira clone, Sinister only resets time up to the point the clone was 'born'. I think it's also implied he's already done it several times but I'm less certain of that.

That makes sense. I didn't quite get all of it but it makes for some interesting possibilities.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So I think the way it works is;

Moira's powers rewind time to the moment of her X-Gene's activation but preserve her memories, which is normally birth for her, but if Sinister makes a mature Moira clone he can trigger her X-Gene. So he has a whole pool of dormant Moira clones, and checks their memories and activates one every day. This is a little different from the idea that Moira was awake in the womb in her latter lives, but whatever. If Sinister feels something hasn't gone his way, he uploads his memories of the day into his active clone and kills her. This shunts her/his memories of the active day into the past bodies of all the dormant Moiras, for the Sinister of yesterday to draw from in his daily check.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Yeah, the weird comments about an x-gene activated, 25 logs ("So I'm 26."), etc.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Mameluke posted:

Moira's powers rewind time to the moment of her X-Gene's activation but preserve her memories, which is normally birth for her, but if Sinister makes a mature Moira clone he can trigger her X-Gene. So he has a whole pool of dormant Moira clones, and checks their memories and activates one every day. This is a little different from the idea that Moira was awake in the womb in her latter lives, but whatever. If Sinister feels something hasn't gone his way, he uploads his memories of the day into his active clone and kills her. This shunts her/his memories of the active day into the past bodies of all the dormant Moiras, for the Sinister of yesterday to draw from in his daily check.

lol sinister literally invented mutant save state restores

immortal x just made me excited for the line again, considering how much i disliked x lives/deaths. i've really tried to give percy a chance but i think the healthier choice is just to drop his books

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 2, 2022

radlum
May 13, 2013

Mameluke posted:

Thanks; took me a while to realize that was he meant at the start of the comic and him talking about Destiny's vote.

Immortal X-Men was great; I love Gillen's work so it's not a huge surprise that I liked this, but beyond that it made me a lot more excited for the future of the X-Books. Hopefully next week I feel as hopeful as this one.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Mr. Sinister save scumming is so on point for him

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
https://twitter.com/classicxbooks/status/1510394473750142984?s=21&t=ua7nDbYsM0Bz2NKM9tqeEQ

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

hope and vaseline posted:

immortal x just made me excited for the line again, considering how much i disliked x lives/deaths. i've really tried to give percy a chance but i think the healthier choice is just to drop his books

For fuckin real, like. Of all the incredible talent they've got going on the x-line rn, Percy of all of them? Getting the Hickman treatment with the "stop the whole line to do this" weekly releases?? :psyduck:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so, does sinister have a way to depower the clones or is he now stuck in a weird self-inflicted timeloop situation?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

so, does sinister have a way to depower the clones or is he now stuck in a weird self-inflicted timeloop situation?

He has to activate her x-gene so... he can stop whenever he wants. (So could Moira, by the way, who could have stopped destroying trillions of lives for no discernable reason at any time simply by dying before her x-gene kicked in.)

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I thought Moira was one of those mutants whose X-Gene activates immediately, though. That’s why she describes becoming aware while gestating or something.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Internet Wizard posted:

I thought Moira was one of those mutants whose X-Gene activates immediately, though. That’s why she describes becoming aware while gestating or something.

She's aware because of her powers but the power doesn't activate until the usual teenage years. This is explicitly stated by Destiny in the burning scene.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It's a bit irregular, but Hickman made it clear (through the first conversation that Destiny ever had with Moira) that the actual reincarnation aspect of Moira's mutant powers don't activate until her teens, and if she's dead for good if she dies before then.

Presumably, her power from her previous life is the catalyst that sends her memories back in time to her birth, but the powers of her current life don't fully come online until her teens.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Ah, okay. Trying to keep up with the details of a long-game Hickman plot during the pandemic has been it’s own fun little challenge, so thanks for the correction.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The long game Hickman plot is done now.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
And the omnibus of his X-Men run just came out this week if you want to refresh yourself... expensive style

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

danbanana posted:

He has to activate her x-gene so... he can stop whenever he wants. (So could Moira, by the way, who could have stopped destroying trillions of lives for no discernable reason at any time simply by dying before her x-gene kicked in.)

once he has a clone with an activated x-gene, that clone's lifespan is the same as the lifespan of the universe. so once he activates it, he is locked into that timeline for the duration. that activation is the reset point so he has to do it ahead of time if he wants all that future knowledge. also, it is sinister so he definitely has multiple moira clones with active x-genes going at the same time. if he can't deactivate them, the only way out is to kill every moira clone and reset repeatedly until it goes back to a point where he had a moira clone but had yet to activate any. which uh, sounds like it might have heavier consequences than the victorian genetics guy can handle.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Yes but... He can get out of it by stopping activations. Whether he would do that is in question, not how the system functions.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

once he has a clone with an activated x-gene, that clone's lifespan is the same as the lifespan of the universe. so once he activates it, he is locked into that timeline for the duration. that activation is the reset point so he has to do it ahead of time if he wants all that future knowledge. also, it is sinister so he definitely has multiple moira clones with active x-genes going at the same time. if he can't deactivate them, the only way out is to kill every moira clone and reset repeatedly until it goes back to a point where he had a moira clone but had yet to activate any. which uh, sounds like it might have heavier consequences than the victorian genetics guy can handle.

He can also just depower the clone the same way regular Moira got depowered and can’t reset the universe with her death anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
normally i think they'd keep the depowering gun well away from sinister but then in x deaths it was just sort of left on the counter where anyone could grab it.