Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh my. I wasn't aware of this.

Is it f2p bullshit?

Yes, but as far as I'm aware, you can pay few bucks to disable ads and unlock all the game modes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

BoldFace posted:

Yes, but as far as I'm aware, you can pay few bucks to disable ads and unlock all the game modes.

Excellent, glad to hear it.

Lowness 72 posted:

Apparently dicey dungeons is in beta. Looks like it's full but hopefully that means we'll see a release soon!

Yaaay! I loved it on Switch.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 27, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Oh my. I wasn't aware of this.

Is it f2p bullshit?

well it has big buttons saying "5 free plays" and "Get Stars!" right there so I'm gonna say yes

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

well it has big buttons saying "5 free plays" and "Get Stars!" right there so I'm gonna say yes

Yeah, I'm seeing that now, but it's not on my favourite mini game (Diamond Mine), so I'm good.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Wee Bairns posted:

This is quite charming, thanks for the tip!

I'm really liking it the more I play. I am not super far in yet but it looks like you may have to spend real money to open the later characters. If so I will probably throw some Google Rewards bux at it because it has been a fun game.

But so far the only ads are after you die you can watch an ad to retry again instead of ending your run and I think I came across another spot too but it was also optional and not a forced ad.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

are there any merge games that isn't just horrible mtx poison swamp hell? I find the formula (merge stuff to fix a garden or a farm or whatever) intensely relaxing, but the games are basically unplayable once you reach the point where you get five minutes of enjoyment per day from the game unless you spend a fortune.

I think the framing device of merging to fix or progress something is important, just having a board might not be enough, but I'm prepared to be surprised.

Edit: I've played tripletown, not exactly what I'm looking for.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

are there any merge games that isn't just horrible mtx poison swamp hell? I find the formula (merge stuff to fix a garden or a farm or whatever) intensely relaxing, but the games are basically unplayable once you reach the point where you get five minutes of enjoyment per day from the game unless you spend a fortune.

I think the framing device of merging to fix or progress something is important, just having a board might not be enough, but I'm prepared to be surprised.

Funny you should ask. I just stumbled on Sliding Seas while looking for a relaxing game. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mugshotgames.slidingseas

It seems pretty chill so far and monetization doesn't seem predatory.

Trastion posted:

Started to play Dicey Elementalist that I found through an ad on another game.

Looks neat. Quoting for future me.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Black Griffon posted:

Merge Mayor is the only one that has felt fine for me. I think I started in late November and I'm at "end game" already and there wasn't really a moment where I felt completely stalled. I threw $5 at it just to support them but honestly that felt extremely optional.

Also, thanks thread for the rec for dicey elementalist. Very fun.

ExtrudeAlongCurve fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 29, 2022

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Xtanstic posted:

Funny you should ask. I just stumbled on Sliding Seas while looking for a relaxing game. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mugshotgames.slidingseas

It seems pretty chill so far and monetization doesn't seem predatory.

This is just slightly more challenging than what I was looking for (i.e. it has a lose state), but that's not important because it's real good!

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

Merge Mayor is the only one that has felt fine for me. I think I started in late November and I'm at "end game" already and there wasn't really a moment where I felt completely stalled. I threw $5 at it just to support them but honestly that felt extremely optional.

I think this might strike the balance. It's still not ideal, but it's just chill enough that the good outweighs the bad (so far). Thanks to both of you!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Bad Banker is a pretty good slide merger. Has some neat mechanics and hurdles.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I looked this up on the Play store and the thing that jumps out at me most is the section where they have bullet points and 2 of them are

* - Bullet point 8
* - Bullet point 9

Exactly what I look for in a game. :)

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I finally reached the Enlightenment stage in Egg, Inc.
At about 2-3 sessions a day and 5m or less each, sometimes more.
In total it took about 3.5 years.
It was truly the idlest of idle games.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Is there one weird trick or something that lets me play my podcasts over the mobile ads that'll pause your audio or am I forced always to suffer?

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Definitely requires more brain cells than I was thinking, but it still looks like a good game.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Black Griffon posted:

Is there one weird trick or something that lets me play my podcasts over the mobile ads that'll pause your audio or am I forced always to suffer?

This seems to vary from game to game. Some games let me mute the ad and then resume my podcast. Others want me to suffer and I uninstall them quicker because I run out of patience.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Yeah, and it's definitely gotten worse, which leads me to wanting some kind of app or window-in-window tweak or whatever that just solves it. I'll watch the loving ads, I certainly watched more of them when they didn't break my audio.

Edilaic
Jul 10, 2008
It's another step up in amount of thinking from Sliding Seas, but I really enjoy SubaraCity (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kuwaki.subaracity&hl=en_US&gl=US) for a relaxed merging-type game. There's basically no monetization other than a banner ad at the bottom.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

what the gently caress

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
If Angry Birds was your jam back in the day and you miss the OG, Rovio put it back out for modern devices for $0.99, no ads, no IAP (despite what the app description says!!)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rovio.abclassic22

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

New Leaf posted:

If Angry Birds was your jam back in the day and you miss the OG, Rovio put it back out for modern devices for $0.99, no ads, no IAP (despite what the app description says!!)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rovio.abclassic22

It's been longer from the release of angry birds to now than the release of the NES to the N64

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

leper khan posted:

It's been longer from the release of angry birds to now than the release of the NES to the N64

why are you doing this

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Artelier posted:

why are you doing this

You deserve to know the truth

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

leper khan posted:

I am going to find you and *immediately turns to a dusty skeleton and gets blown away on the wind*

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I had one kid and a Verizon Fascinate when this game launched.

Still gonna play the poo poo out of this.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

leper khan posted:

You deserve to know the truth

I can't handle the truth

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

In North America, the span of time between the release dates of the NES and N64 was 11 years (1985-1996), which is almost how old Skyrim is right now.

Sort of relevant to the thread, I've had a cellphone for 14 years now, and I had started with all that LATE.

:corsair:

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

In North America, the span of time between the release dates of the NES and N64 was 11 years (1985-1996), which is almost how old Skyrim is right now.

gently caress you, you take that back right now!

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

leper khan posted:

Mods!?!?!?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Anyone play "My Heroes: Dungeon Raid"? I found it browsing through the store and it's actually a pretty neat stick shooter kinda thing with loot and stats all the f2p trappings you'd expect.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Black Griffon posted:

This is timely, I just came to post about a game like this. It's as if Merge Dragons and a tower defence game had a baby and it's quite good.

Play Twisted Towers with me! Use code ZZMD-NXMC after downloading here so I get free poo poo :getin:
https://twistedturrets.sng.link/A3l02/edwd?_dl=twistedturrets%3A%2F%2Fmain&_p=zzmd-nxmc

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

Also, thanks thread for the rec for dicey elementalist. Very fun.

I've been playing Merge Mayor for a week now. Very chill. Monetization does not feel predatory.

Xtanstic fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 10, 2022

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Rapner posted:

This is timely, I just came to post about a game like this. It's as if Merge Dragons and a tower defence game had a baby and it's quite good.

Play Twisted Towers with me! Use code ZZMD-NXMC after downloading here so I get free poo poo :getin:
https://twistedturrets.sng.link/A3l02/edwd?_dl=twistedturrets%3A%2F%2Fmain&_p=zzmd-nxmc

Your link isn't working for me.. I tried searching but not sure I'm coming up with the right game.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Not finding anything either. Neither Twisted Towers nor Twisted Turrets.

Xtanstic posted:

I've been playing Merge Mayor for a week now. Very chill. Monetization does not feel predatory.

Yeah same, good rec Extrude.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Looks like twisted towers is only available in 6 countries

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I just saw the next evolution in stupid fake ads: there's a recurring ad that's like "can you solve this puzzle" and the theme varies but it's some sort of "drag a bar to release water/lava/acid" and then the vid does it poorly to make you mad, and the game is like, gardenscapes or whatever which is nothing like that.
This one went "you know that fake ad you've been seeing where the actual game isn't anything like the puzzle you want? Well THIS is the game that actually is!"
The game it linked to? loving evony, my lord

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Looks like the beta might just be in Australia

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Phosphine posted:

I just saw the next evolution in stupid fake ads: there's a recurring ad that's like "can you solve this puzzle" and the theme varies but it's some sort of "drag a bar to release water/lava/acid" and then the vid does it poorly to make you mad, and the game is like, gardenscapes or whatever which is nothing like that.
This one went "you know that fake ad you've been seeing where the actual game isn't anything like the puzzle you want? Well THIS is the game that actually is!"
The game it linked to? loving evony, my lord

I saw that too recently and had a hearty lol about it.

I got my spouse into Dicey Elementalists and he's played more than me already. Still solid game. Does anyone know how active it's been on new content/updates? I think my spouse is gonna run out of poo poo to do soon and asked me if I knew.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Edilaic posted:

It's another step up in amount of thinking from Sliding Seas, but I really enjoy SubaraCity (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kuwaki.subaracity&hl=en_US&gl=US) for a relaxed merging-type game. There's basically no monetization other than a banner ad at the bottom.

I have this on the 3ds, and think it's a fun time.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

People in the reviews are saying SubaraCity is PTW because of limited moves.. Is that the case or is that people just bitching?

Edilaic
Jul 10, 2008

New Leaf posted:

People in the reviews are saying SubaraCity is PTW because of limited moves.. Is that the case or is that people just bitching?

I mean, technically yes, you can buy more to artificially elongate your game, but I'm pretty sure there's no competitive leaderboard, so I usually just start a new game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I'm looking for a strategy/tactics game I can sink my teeth into a little bit that isn't gacha, is there anything good on android or am I outta luck there