Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

SaintFu posted:

Can you not just turn off notifications for the App Store?

Depending on what update it is, those settings are wholly ignored, most notably OS release marketing spam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

My new Mac is prompting me as to whether I want to turn on FileVault.

I'm on the fence, because of the possibility of having to theoretically perform data-recovery on the SSD some ways down the road in case of a failure.

What do you think? Is it worth enabling?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

A new new Mac is incredibly difficult to rescue data from since the storage is soldered and hooked up to a custom security chip, might as well turn on FileVault. Configure time machine backups to a network share or something to protect it.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

SaintFu posted:

Can you not just turn off notifications for the App Store?

i have every update option i can find turned off and i still get daily pop ups

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Flatten, reinstall, check your registry settings and your DLLs

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

the talent deficit posted:

i have every update option i can find turned off and i still get daily pop ups

Even this one?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Last Chance posted:

Even this one?

App Store doesn't even appear in my list. :haw:

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Tippis posted:

App Store doesn't even appear in my list. :haw:

mine either (catalina 10.15.7)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

The best I can find with a quick search is this: https://lapcatsoftware.com/articles/mas-notifications.html — no idea if it's still applicable.

code:
defaults write com.apple.appstored LastUpdateNotification -date "2029-12-12 12:00:00 +0000"

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Is anyone here 1) using Mail.app on Monterrey and 2) having the problem where it'll eventually not connect to the associated mailboxes/accounts until you restart the app? I've ran into this problem twice in the past two days and I'm not sure what the trigger could be. It's just, at some point, it'll throw up the little triangle with an exclamation point on all my accounts and not refresh.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Me: Hey, Safari, let me right-click this image and select Copy Image.

Safari: Yep, got it, buddy. When you go to paste I will have the URL ready to go!!

WTF is this garbage inconsistent behavior?

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

AlternateAccount posted:

Safari: Yep, got it, buddy. When you go to paste I will have the URL ready to go!!

This happens to me on Facebook and I'm pretty sure this is FB trying to prevent casual copying of content to other platforms

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

AlternateAccount posted:

When you copy something it copies a bunch of different formats at once. For instance, if you copy a paragraph with formatting, an application might put plain text, RTF, HTML and maybe tabular data on there so when you paste it in to an app it can pick the best choice. So what is probably happening is Safari is putting the URL of the image and the image in a couple formats on the clipboard, which is super reasonable, but the app you’re pasting it in is prioritising requesting URLs or plain text over images.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

chaosbreather posted:

if you copy a paragraph with formatting, an application might put plain text, RTF, HTML and maybe tabular data on there so when you paste it in to an app it can pick the best choice.
the best choice is plain text. it's always the best choice and if I ever meet the person who decided that "paste with formatting" should be the default I will slap them silly :mad:

And yes, I know about "Paste and Match Style" and I know you can remap the shortcut so it's the ⌘-V default, but not all applications have that menu option and then Paste doesn't work at all :ssj:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

TACD posted:

the best choice is plain text. it's always the best choice and if I ever meet the person who decided that "paste with formatting" should be the default I will slap them silly :mad:

And yes, I know about "Paste and Match Style" and I know you can remap the shortcut so it's the ⌘-V default, but not all applications have that menu option and then Paste doesn't work at all :ssj:

I hate that as well. Big fan of this app for fixing that. Had to manually add it to my login items though, cause the 'Autostart at login' option didn't seem to work.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I use Get Plain Text and a keyboard shortcut to strip formatting because sometimes I do want to keep formatting. Mac feels broken without it.
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/get-plain-text/id508368068?mt=12

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Even worse is copying text out of OneNote gets you a picture. :argh:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

💩💩💩 Monterey 12.3.1 has dropped 💩💩💩

Apple posted:

macOS Monterey 12.3.1 includes bug fixes and security updates for your Mac.

This update fixes the following issues:

• USB-C or Thunderbolt external display does not turn on when connected to Mac mini (2018) as a second display

• Bluetooth devices, such as game controllers, may disconnect from your Mac after playing audio through some Beats headphones

For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Anyone had a bug or problem with external HDs somehow causing problems with sleep, but only through the external monitor?

it's a bit convoluted.

My Mac Studio will enter sleep after an hour -- or so that's what I set it to in Energy Saver even though the verbiage only says it turns the display off, but I imagine macOS just goes to sleep when the display is off. However, I wanna say maybe like 10 or so minutes later, my monitors will turn on, but not actually wake up to anything. Turn on, "No Signal, turning off in 15 seconds," off again, another 10 minutes. Rinse repeat. I haven't timed it or giving it any kind of real tests, but it seems to do this every handful of minutes.

And the weird part: this only happens when my external drive is plugged into the Studio itself. Which makes it even more odd, since I would assume if the drive was waking up the Studio, macOS, it would boot me to the login screen, but it never does. My Studio stays asleep until I purposefully go to wake it up.

I don't understand it. Anyone have any ideas?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

LODGE NORTH posted:

Anyone had a bug or problem with external HDs somehow causing problems with sleep, but only through the external monitor?

it's a bit convoluted.

My Mac Studio will enter sleep after an hour -- or so that's what I set it to in Energy Saver even though the verbiage only says it turns the display off, but I imagine macOS just goes to sleep when the display is off. However, I wanna say maybe like 10 or so minutes later, my monitors will turn on, but not actually wake up to anything. Turn on, "No Signal, turning off in 15 seconds," off again, another 10 minutes. Rinse repeat. I haven't timed it or giving it any kind of real tests, but it seems to do this every handful of minutes.

And the weird part: this only happens when my external drive is plugged into the Studio itself. Which makes it even more odd, since I would assume if the drive was waking up the Studio, macOS, it would boot me to the login screen, but it never does. My Studio stays asleep until I purposefully go to wake it up.

I don't understand it. Anyone have any ideas?

Right after reproducing it, wake the machine, open Terminal.app, and use the command "pmset -g log" to show the history of all the events related to sleep / power mgmt / etc. This may provide a clue about what's happening.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

doingitwrong posted:

I use Get Plain Text and a keyboard shortcut to strip formatting because sometimes I do want to keep formatting. Mac feels broken without it.
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/get-plain-text/id508368068?mt=12
Hey this seems good, thanks! I'll add it to my growing list of regrettably necessary utility apps

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

chaosbreather posted:

When you copy something it copies a bunch of different formats at once. For instance, if you copy a paragraph with formatting, an application might put plain text, RTF, HTML and maybe tabular data on there so when you paste it in to an app it can pick the best choice. So what is probably happening is Safari is putting the URL of the image and the image in a couple formats on the clipboard, which is super reasonable, but the app you’re pasting it in is prioritising requesting URLs or plain text over images.

This seems to fit the facts. I hate it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I can't find a way to allow Chrome or Safari to access my microphone. It says to go into the Privacy Settings to enable it, but Chrome and Safari aren't even in the list of programs. I don't even see a way to add more programs to the list. Does anyone know a solution?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Think you can only allow the microphone in Safari on a site by site basis.

If you control-option-click the toolbar in the Safari window, you can drag "Website Preferences" to the toolbar, and when you are on the site you want to allow the microphone access to, you uh.. allow it

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

So anyway, I'm noodling along as usual when I check Software Update in SysPrefs, and it tells me I've got an update waiting.. and its..?

Safari 15.4? WTF? I thought I already downloaded it. So, since I'm super pedantic about these things, I get Safari version, which is:

I go ahead and do the update, hoping it isn't a hack, and when it's done I see the version has changed to:

Well, hope whatever it was they fixed was worth making people wonder why they're downloading a same versioned update twice.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Binary Badger posted:

Think you can only allow the microphone in Safari on a site by site basis.

If you control-option-click the toolbar in the Safari window, you can drag "Website Preferences" to the toolbar, and when you are on the site you want to allow the microphone access to, you uh.. allow it

I'd love to know how to make these settings stick for longer than like, a week. We use Whereby for our weekly team videochats and I have to re-confirm that yes, I really do want to grant access to my webcam and microphone almost every week, despite explicitly setting them to "Allow" every single time.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
What's the current best ad blocker for Safari?

I don't mind paying money as long as it isn't crazy priced - something like Wipr for example seems reasonably priced if in fact that turns out to be the answer you guys give.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Lord Bude posted:

What's the current best ad blocker for Safari?

I don't mind paying money as long as it isn't crazy priced - something like Wipr for example seems reasonably priced if in fact that turns out to be the answer you guys give.

1blocker has been great for me for years and I’m still using the outdated legacy version on iOS and whatever the most basic is for Safari.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I also like 1blocker and don't mind paying the pretty low annual cost to keep them in business.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Does anybody else experienced the bug in macOS where it asks for notification permission for your apps after every update? It happens on my 13" MacBook Pro all the time and drives me up the wall.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I've been using my iPad + Pencil + Sidecar to do a lot of whiteboarding. The experience is middling to decent.
for whatever reason the connection process resets some of my primary display configurations which is my main annoyance

Is there something better for this purpose if my #1 priority is just zoom whiteboarding 99% of the time?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Walked posted:

I've been using my iPad + Pencil + Sidecar to do a lot of whiteboarding. The experience is middling to decent.
for whatever reason the connection process resets some of my primary display configurations which is my main annoyance

Is there something better for this purpose if my #1 priority is just zoom whiteboarding 99% of the time?

I use the Zoom app on the ipad or share the ipad's screen using Zoom's screen mirror feature. Then I use a better virtual whiteboard like Miro or Lucidspark on the ipad.

(Or even the Notes app. Zoom's whiteboarding is so bad.)

tuyop fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 5, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

what is this stupid new thing and how do I kill it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
You probably have View > Use Stacks turned on.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

oh thanks, must have misclicked

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

actionjackson posted:

Stacks are dope

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

actionjackson posted:

It looks like some sort of cat tower

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

It looks like some sort of cat tower

lol

https://www.kartell.com/US/best-sellers/componibili-classic/04967?variantName=x_colorVariant&variantValue=10

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
def a cat tower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

def a cat tower