Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Unity is probably the biggest Assassin’s Creed game where the biggest problems would have been solved if people stopped and talked to each other a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

They should re-make Unity, only take the city they designed and completely dump everything else and start from scratch.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

They shouldn't remake Unity, but they should go back to making games that are a city map rather than representing a whole country.

Hell even parallel game series Watch Dogs shows you can do the Ubisoft open world thing using a single city as your reference point and it works just fine.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Something about the velvet textures in unity really make me happy so whatever the next game they're making is should heavily emphasize velvet outfits

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Alchenar posted:

They shouldn't remake Unity, but they should go back to making games that are a city map rather than representing a whole country.
I agree with you but my thought was that they should remake Unity but only start with the map because they should make better use of the French Revolution as a period.

Then I thought about it more and thought they should just make an open world game set during that period that isn't bogged down by all of the Assassin's Creed expanded universe shite. Then again, same goes for every game in this series.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
There is an eternal battle in my soul raging: which is the better open world viking game: Valhalla or Valheim?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Alchenar posted:

Hell even parallel game series Watch Dogs shows you can do the Ubisoft open world thing using a single city as your reference point and it works just fine.

It shows they can do it just fine in Watch_Dogs 2 but then in the next game somehow turn London into a boring faceless heap of dungeon buildings.

Also Watch_Dogs 2 included a lot of countrysides, and it technically had 3 or 4 cities, I think. Even Watch_Dogs 1 had a small town.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Something about the velvet textures in unity really make me happy so whatever the next game they're making is should heavily emphasize velvet outfits

Same here, yeah. Hell just make a Unity where you're doing Elise stuff, she was way cooler than Arno.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

ilitarist posted:

It shows they can do it just fine in Watch_Dogs 2 but then in the next game somehow turn London into a boring faceless heap of dungeon buildings.

Also Watch_Dogs 2 included a lot of countrysides, and it technically had 3 or 4 cities, I think. Even Watch_Dogs 1 had a small town.

I couldn’t believe what a dry and boring downgrade WD 3 was from 2. 2 had so much flavor to it. You could tell they had a blast touching on all the little details of the Bay Area and just making it a fun romp. 3 was barren and unimaginative.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
WD3 felt like a tech demo they were still working out, so they didn't have time to do all the world and missions and...stuff you actually like

Honestly they should have just set it in the same city as WD1 or 2 instead. More games should go the Yakuza route of reusing the same city but tweaking it instead of starting from scratch every time imho

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

WD3 felt like a tech demo they were still working out, so they didn't have time to do all the world and missions and...stuff you actually like

Honestly they should have just set it in the same city as WD1 or 2 instead. More games should go the Yakuza route of reusing the same city but tweaking it instead of starting from scratch every time imho

When games do that they get called out as cheap cash grabs/lazy.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Showed up to post about how cool Ceolbert is, then Dag opened his fuckin' mouth. I see his second character trait has been introduced!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ImpAtom posted:

When games do that they get called out as cheap cash grabs/lazy.

Yeah. Far Cry Primal used a reworked version of FC4's map and despite feeling very different in-game it got mocked by people who just saw a couple of images next to each other.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah. Far Cry Primal used a reworked version of FC4's map and despite feeling very different in-game it got mocked by people who just saw a couple of images next to each other.

It's kind of impressive how much asset reuse went into the RE3 remake from the RE2 remake, on top of it being an extremely short and poor value game.

(e And I imagine Farcry 5 and Farcry New Dawn used much the same map as well.)

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Arivia posted:

It's kind of impressive how much asset reuse went into the RE3 remake from the RE2 remake, on top of it being an extremely short and poor value game.

(e And I imagine Farcry 5 and Farcry New Dawn used much the same map as well.)

New Dawn actually cut down on the FC5 map and was still an interesting game.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's a dumb critique akin to Cinema Sins or similar shows that look for "plot holes" or 'mistakes" trying to present their opinion as subjective truth. See, that movie has 17 plot holes, therefore it's bad. This game has Reused Content therefore it's Lazy. Baldur's Gate 2 or Fallout 2 and many other games in the list of the best games over are kinda like standalone expansions, using the same tech and assets.

To be honest I don't really understand why isn't content reused more in videogames. Nowadays storage is usually not a problem, so furniture or even buildings made for Watch_Dogs 2 in 2016 would work fine in, say, Far Cry 6. Millions of work hours probably went into making a realistic render of AK-74 or M16, which was probably worse than one of the already existing ones. I understand we have special technologies for stuff like tree rendering but really there should be more. Especially with some RPGs that are supposed to have replayability and gameplay variety I'd be glad to see sequels that don't change much in technical terms or even assets and play different stories. We're in an age when the graphics are no longer that important, some of the biggest releases are aimed at a 5-year-old hand-held console, so clearly people won't go mad from a new game not looking all new and shiny.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I keep climbing the same trees I first saw in ACIII and wooden towers from Black Flag, it’s kinda cool to see the DNA of the series in places. I think Infinite will be that - a way to go back to old worlds.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I received a quest to go and burn a parchment that would keep Zealots from adding me to their kill list. I saved the game at that point, and when I reload I get a big red notice that Zealots are actively hunting me, but also that I need to go burn that parchment. I fast travel to the location, find the interaction point (says "Read") and when I activate it the quest finishes and... I get a big red notice that Zealots are actively hunting me. No chance to burn it.

EDIT: I reloaded the last save before triggering this quest and tried it again, and this time when I interacted with the scroll it actually displayed on screen and then switched to a cut scene burning it. So... a bug.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 4, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

I received a quest to go and burn a parchment that would keep Zealots from adding me to their kill list. I saved the game at that point, and when I reload I get a big red notice that Zealots are actively hunting me, but also that I need to go burn that parchment. I fast travel to the location, find the interaction point (says "Read") and when I activate it the quest finishes and... I get a big red notice that Zealots are actively hunting me. No chance to burn it.

have you tried burning the parchment

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
That's the one quest you have to do immediately; if you don't drop everything and go burn the parchment before the next dawn, Zealots will hunt you forever.

Look back through your auto saves; the game is very generous with them, and in fact always makes one right before the Leofrith fight.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I did that mission the intended way and now, 3 zones later, I'm thinking how much more convenient it would be if the zealots just came to me.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

KirbyKhan posted:

I did that mission the intended way and now, 3 zones later, I'm thinking how much more convenient it would be if the zealots just came to me.

It’s this, becomes kinda a pain later trying to hunt them down.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

We must you solve all of your problems with violence?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Dick Trauma posted:

We must you solve all of your problems with violence?

I'm surprised there's any non-lethal options at all in this game about Assassins but actually Vikings

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I actually burned the paper my first time through as Sheivor so when I was playing again on PS5 as Heivor I thought I would deliberately kill Leofrith so those guys would start beelining for me like in Origins/Odyssey...except they still don't? They're hostile within sight range but they don't really search for you, so you're still mostly hunting them down :shrug:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
So on this runthrough of Vallhalla I picked up my 40 hour save that was right at the start of Vinland and did that. It was nice, like a starter tutorial zone for people who played this before. Good soft runway to get back into the murder gameplay loop.

Anyways, the last thing I did in the time before I did was Asgard. So what I'm saying is I spent a long time since I last saw my boat and my boat is great and when I saw it again I got a big ol smile:

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
this is the most sons of anarchy game I've ever played. I can't/won't explain what I mean by this

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

padijun posted:

this is the most sons of anarchy game I've ever played. I can't/won't explain what I mean by this

You should check out Days Gone

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
counterintuitively, motorcycles and backwards baseball hats barely play into it. but the main character and their gang are basically the sons, they're cool murderous psychos that you have to get on board with otherwise you're gonna hate it

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I always saw Sons of Anarchy as basically taking place in the GTA universe, where the answer to every problem is 'effortlessly shoot a dozen guys and then drive away really fast'

Though I guess the answer to every problem in the AC universe is 'effortlessly stab a dozen guys and then ride a horse away really fast' so it kind of fits

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

did they patch in some way to quick swap bows without going to inventory every time?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Otta Sluggasson. :crossarms:

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Been playing the Dawn of Rangarök DLC and it's pretty good to be honest. You still play as Eivor, you have all your equpiment, skills et.c, you are just called "Havi" (Odin).
I think the trailer did a really bad job of showcasing this DLC, it made it look grindy and frustrating and it over-focused on the new skills and grinding for new equipment. You don't even use the new skills that much except for the "walk on lava" one, maybe if you play a ranged character but lamao if you do that.

The Arena is pretty fun seeing how extremely overpowered you are at this stage of the game, with dual spears (Spear of Leonidas, Gael Bog) it takes at most 2 hits to kill any enemy except for the bosses which still die within 10 seconds. And that is not an exaggeration. I have 2 "+10 crit chance" runes on each spear, a rune that gives increased crit chance when you have over 85% health and then there is a new rune you can buy from the arena lady which spawns some kind of ghost when you get a crit that hits enemies 1 time for massive damage and stun. You just go around spamming light attack and everything around you dies instantly.

The map is not as bad as the DLC maps usually are with sheer cliffs and huge differences in elevation everywhere, there are mountains but since you can now transform into a bird they are not as frustrating as before.

The story sucks and is padded for length, it is the typical "do a bunch of missions to get the McGuffin, oh no the McGuffin is broken and doesn't work any more" but the gameplay is pretty fun, there is not a lot of downtime or mission grinding like in the Siege of Paris DLC. The only grinding so far is the Arena but since you are so overpowered at this stage of the game you can enable pretty much all boasts and still win easily.

I wouldn't buy this expansion unless you are an AssCreed superfan but if you are then you will probably like it.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Dick Trauma posted:

Otta Sluggasson. :crossarms:

Legally distinct from the One Wallop Man

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I’m in the mid 40s and I’m not sure what to do next. There’s no quests besides building more town, which I can’t do because I’ve raided every monastery that I can beat without setting the game to story mode

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

padijun posted:

I’m in the mid 40s and I’m not sure what to do next.

I forgot what thread I was in and read this as an existential cry for help.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Dick Trauma posted:

Sounds about right, go on.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

padijun posted:

I’m in the mid 40s and I’m not sure what to do next. There’s no quests besides building more town, which I can’t do because I’ve raided every monastery that I can beat without setting the game to story mode

To clarify, your power level is mid-40s? Does Randvi not have any new alliances for you?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Dick Trauma posted:

Yeah that was the first unread post for me and I just refreshed a lot of bookmarked threads. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
You just keep playing game. Number goes up with every map blip you do. There's always more, it never ends. There is so much number in England.