Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nuns with Guns posted:

Games Workshop is insisting the Squats are real and legit now btw: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/04/02/what-april-fools-the-41st-millenniums-next-faction-is-real-heres-a-model-to-prove-it/

The Spelljammer "confirmation" is still probably not real... formally at least, though they have been playtesting alien races and confirmed they're bringing back 2 "classic" campaign settings. A revamped Spelljammer that can just push Starfinder out of whatever tiny niche it has once and for all seems like a possibility. This is seems like an interest test for that at least.
Eagerly awaiting the video game version that's just deep rock galactic but with space hulks.

Not even kidding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

disposablewords posted:

It seems like a decent way to test the waters. Purportedly, the idea of Yakuza: Like a Dragon becoming a turn-based JRPG style of game came from an April Fools joke that got a really good response, so they decided to go for it.

April 1 is the start of a fiscal quarter or year in Japan so a lot of legitimate announcements tend to also get made on this date which ends up giving the jokes mor attention than normal.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Nuns with Guns posted:

A revamped Spelljammer that can just push Starfinder out of whatever tiny niche it has once and for all seems like a possibility.

There isn't really much thematic or mechanical overlap between the two, considering that Starfinder is crunchy futuristic science fiction and Spelljammer is very strictly not that. Genre-wise, Spelljammer has about as much in common with Starfinder as it does with Shadowrun.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
So push Shadowrun out of the niche, too.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Halloween Jack posted:

I still don't know all the details about the Blood War, but it sounds like the least interesting thing you could possibly do with Planescape. Ooh, a big war everywhere forever.

It's a forever war but it's (mostly) confined to the Lower Planes. It's a hazard that occasionally spills over to neighboring chunks of the Outlands (the True Neutral plane), where the most "normal" people who aren't in Sigil tend to live. Broadly across the game line, its presence deforms everything around it to provide drama and plot hooks, but is not often meant to be engaged with directly because it's just not on the same scale. It's also the excuse for why there can be anywhere that's got "normal" people in that the demons and devils are all busy with each other instead of constantly stomping all over the Neutral realms on their way to sieging the Heavens. A couple of the books elaborate on how there's a conspiracy of celestials arming both major sides of the war to try to get them to extinguish each other, while using the profits to help deal with the collateral damage, and the actual "goodness" of this given it's being done by beings literally made of Good is left hanging as a huge hook.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
A modern take on Planescape is impossible because the Free League are libertarians and nobody wants to hear about age of consent laws

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Ettin posted:

A modern take on Planescape is impossible because the Free League are libertarians and nobody wants to hear about age of consent laws

I think the Fated are that kind of libertarian.

The Free League are internet contrarian pundits.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Ettin posted:

The nameless one has the romeo and juliet law tattooed on his arm, ready to whip out at a moments notice like that one character from the transformers movie.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kurieg posted:

The nameless one has the romeo and juliet law tattooed on his arm, ready to whip out at a moments notice like that one character from the transformers movie.

Nope, it's actually tattooed nowhere on him but morte insists it is and that it also says he gets to watch.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Rand Brittain posted:

They're definitely the ones loudly insisting man this ain't my dad this is a cell phone.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

gtrmp posted:

There isn't really much thematic or mechanical overlap between the two, considering that Starfinder is crunchy futuristic science fiction and Spelljammer is very strictly not that. Genre-wise, Spelljammer has about as much in common with Starfinder as it does with Shadowrun.

I actually could see them rewriting Spelljammer to make it a "standalone" scifi setting instead of being about hopping between the different campaign setting spheres, like revamped in that way. Keep some of the magitek but kind of make it more spacefuture Eberron.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Rand Brittain posted:

I think the Fated are that kind of libertarian.

Free Leaguers have a regular issue with police abuse and try to organize against it so if they were to map to anyone in modern US politics they'd be closer to the various voices that contribute to "defund the police" and promote alternative measures.

The Fated are absolutely "gently caress you, got mine" libertarians who got into a position of power, though. Their self-absorbed old guy leader even has a skeevy, manipulative secret relationship with another faction leader who is much younger than him, only like 19 years old. It's blatantly exploitative, especially as part of the background of the Faction War adventure.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think the Free League would like to be Black Lives Matter, but it comes across as kind of hollow since they have nothing in common except a vague dedication to "don't tell me what to do" that doesn't really result in them actually doing anything. They don't really feel like a genuine minority group; they feel like a group that works the way conservative pundits think the world works where the government is constantly struggling to cancel them.

If you were doing a 2022 Planescape, you'd probably want something like the "defund the police" movement, but I honestly feel like the Athar already fulfill the Planescape version of that function. They just need a bit more "defund the gods" energy and a bit less "debate me" energy. Then you could tie the Harmonium with the gods (not any specific gods so much as the general concept of the status quo), because obviously they would be.

Honestly, the first and foremost problem with rebooting Planescape is that more than half of the factions have philosophies that are kind of dumb. (The second is that it's a world full of impossible wonders that takes such a cynical approach to everything that it never really stops to appreciate that aspect of itself, and the third is that, like most settings written during that period, or possibly ever, its adventures relentlessly focus on stupid bullshit.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Honestly I'm kind of okay with Sigil being primarily inhabited by losers whose ideological stances are inherently antithetical to any kind of real movement or change. "The Twitter at the heart of the multiverse", if you will.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
This portal can only be opened by viciously subtweeting at the lady of pain.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Rand Brittain posted:

I think the Free League would like to be Black Lives Matter, but it comes across as kind of hollow since they have nothing in common except a vague dedication to "don't tell me what to do" that doesn't really result in them actually doing anything. They don't really feel like a genuine minority group; they feel like a group that works the way conservative pundits think the world works where the government is constantly struggling to cancel them.

Sometimes I just randomly remember that Aymon Bundy, of those crazy guys who took over a wildlife refuge, made pro-BLM statements.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Sometimes I just randomly remember that Aymon Bundy, of those crazy guys who took over a wildlife refuge, made pro-BLM statements.

Even funnier that it's specifically Black Lives Matter, not the Bureau of Land Management whom he has beef with.

Libertarian types that haven't gone full Trump cultist can be a bit of a wildcard on those topics since they're among the few people who actually occasionally look at cops critically and not the state-mandated worship of them.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kurieg posted:

This portal can only be opened by viciously subtweeting at the lady of pain.

It's a delicate balance because if you make it too obvious, she'll pop up in your living room and let her shadow fall on you.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Sometimes I worry that my overly critical and excessively negative attitude on my Delta Green discord is having a chilling effect on people's creativity.

Then I look at the actual developers' posts and I stop feeling bad.
https://twitter.com/drgonzo123/status/1511036781134692354?s=20&t=Wp8BlMCkUIxHmij03tW5Gw

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

mellonbread posted:

Sometimes I worry that my overly critical and excessively negative attitude on my Delta Green discord is having a chilling effect on people's creativity.

https://twitter.com/drgonzo123/status/1511036781134692354?s=20&t=Wp8BlMCkUIxHmij03tW5Gw

Mythos cops dev says what?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

mellonbread posted:

Detwiller really is just in a constant race with himself to be the biggest rear end in a top hat imaginable. It wasn't that long ago he was opining that anyone who thinks D&D has if not a literal monopoly on the TRPG scene than a figurative one is literally mentally ill.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

mellonbread posted:

most game developers across all mediums could save a lot of time by just saying "I am an insufferable jackass and you are funding me with each thing of mine you buy"

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Honestly I'm kind of okay with Sigil being primarily inhabited by losers whose ideological stances are inherently antithetical to any kind of real movement or change. "The Twitter at the heart of the multiverse", if you will.

Makes sense. If they had a coherent ideology they'd find a home in another plane.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

mellonbread posted:

me @ detwiller

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

Detwiller really is just in a constant race with himself to be the biggest rear end in a top hat imaginable. It wasn't that long ago he was opining that anyone who thinks D&D has if not a literal monopoly on the TRPG scene than a figurative one is literally mentally ill.

There's also something wrong with you if you can't move to Canada like he did, according to double D.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

Wait, was he saying people who think DND has a monopoly are mentally ill or those who thinks it doesn't?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wait, was he saying people who think DND has a monopoly are mentally ill or those who thinks it doesn't?

The stupider one.

Bony-Eared Assfish
Oct 4, 2018

Kai Tave posted:

His twitter handle is seriously drgonzo123? Seriously, how is this not a parody account?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Bony-Eared Assfish posted:

His twitter handle is seriously drgonzo123? Seriously, how is this not a parody account?

The TTRPG industry is the joke.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

MonsieurChoc posted:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

1) Christ what an rear end in a top hat.

2) That is profoundly not how semi-colons work.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

We’ve all heard of Mark Rein•Hagen, now it’s time for Dennis; Detwiller.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

"your ideas for you favorite franchise are terrible" sure explains his writing on Delta Green at least.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
To be clear, since I know a lot of people here don't really keep up with twitter, literally nobody in the indie RPG scene thinks that D&D is actively and maliciously persecuting them like some sort of advanced elfgames gangstalking thing, they just correctly observe that D&D sucks most of the air out of the room and dominates the mainstream in a way that makes it exceptionally difficult for anyone else to break out into the open in a meaningful way. This stuff isn't in response to any sort of take that actually exists, Detwiller just loves beating up strawmen.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

https://twitter.com/funtasticFunman/status/1511654540025774083?s=20&t=hyoWlcz1Mo1swvqV5ti9nw

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

And I thought Kenneth Hite was the ones with bad opinions.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
In retrospect, maybe a couple of developers who looked at the Cthulhu Mythos and thought "you know what this needs? more cops, and you get to play them!" were a bit dodgy to begin with.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

It makes sense to apply the cosmic horror of lovecraft to the human horror of the deep state, as they basically have the same root: how tiny and pointless you are compared to the great beast that devours lives.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I really like idea that the deep state exists but it's just your letter carrier, the deputy mayor, and someone at the DMV. And they're fighting extra dimensional terrors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

In retrospect, maybe a couple of developers who looked at the Cthulhu Mythos and thought "you know what this needs? more cops, and you get to play them!" were a bit dodgy to begin with.
"Government agency that investigates the supernatural" is a very useful platform for horror games in general and CoC in particular. I'm not a fan of it myself, but it is very useful. I remember when Monster of the Week was new and shiny, that seemed to be the most popular campaign model.