Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah Obviously posted:

I guess my question is, are there places that teach people how to improve driving instead of just how to drive in the first place? I Googled things like "driving lessons for adults" and "driving improvement lessons" but I'm still getting a lot of results about how to prepare your teen for driving.

Several states including mine (PA) have certifications for specific training programs generally described as "mature driver improvement". Maybe those search terms will help you out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

If you decide to go practice on your own, a trick you can do that I used when teaching both my daughter and my nephew is take some aluminum pop cans out with you and set them out instead of cones, and put your windows down. They will make noise when you hit them, even when flattened, which is good for when you're alone. Practice hitting them, and then not hitting them. See if you can reliably target them with each of your wheels, both while going straight and turning. Try dodging them with the front wheel but hitting them with the back wheel, etc. Set out two only a few inches wider than your tires, and try driving through them. Make up any exercises you can think of, and keep at it until you show progress.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There's absolutely nothing wrong with practicing in a vacant parking lot to practice car positioning. Beyond that, you might also be a good candidate for something like the Hagerty Driving Academy that Skip Barber does. Especially because being a safe driver involves knowing what a car feels like at/beyond the limits of handling, and the safest way to do that by far is at a race track.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I used to watch Smith System tapes but that's decades ago now lol

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah Obviously posted:

Hi, I'm not at all knowledgeable about cars (only to the extent I am legally allowed to drive one), but I wanted to ask AI for any tips or suggestions about how to become a better driver.

I think this thread is meant for short questions so I'll try not to go on too much, but for context I'm 34 but have only been driving since I was about 27. I was taught how to drive by a small local place that teaches high school students. I've lived in the Greater Boston Area since I was 18. I drive a 2014 Toyota Camry (this is the only car I've ever owned).

I know that driving is something you're supposed to get better at with time, but I feel like I'm not doing very well. I don't seem to have great spatial awareness; I'm so hopeless with parking that I prefer to back into spaces with my backup camera. I've also had gaffes like when I put a big scrape on my passenger side when I accidentally cuddled into a corner inside a tight Boston parking garage.

Today I got a flat because I think I clipped a curb (I'm not even sure exactly what happened). I tore out a chunk of the tire sidewall. It made me feel pretty bad about myself. :(

I guess my question is, are there places that teach people how to improve driving instead of just how to drive in the first place? I Googled things like "driving lessons for adults" and "driving improvement lessons" but I'm still getting a lot of results about how to prepare your teen for driving.

Practicing parking is something I'd like to do especially, but I'm not sure how to do it without actually having the option to bump into things to know when I'm doing it wrong. I'm worried about creeping people out if I show up to a mostly empty garage or lot with a bunch of cones and just start tenderly maneuvering around them. I'm very self-conscious and I have really bad social anxiety so it makes me really nervous to park when a stranger is looking at me ... :( (I'm in therapy, though, so I'll get there eventually.)

Sorry if this vibe is kind of pitiful, but after occasionally lurking in the bad cars thread for a giggle I thought this might be a good place to get some really honest advice about driving.

I think to be entirely honest that once you get your mental health stuff in order (and I agree, yes you'll get there) you'll just be more primed to notice things about your own driving and improve upon them. Removing unneeded anxiety from the equation I expect will really help you focus and not overthing/catastrophize things if that's what's happening. If you're not hitting anybody with your car or taking up two spots when you park, everything else will just come with time and to be honest I don't know that I would spend money on more driver education in your position. Maybe if you're feeling comfortable mentally and still having issues? One thing at a time!

Something that might help in the meantime is to have it front of mind that you are absolutely allowed (and expected) to take your time when you do certain things in the car - like parking, merging, etc. Noone is going to get mad at you for taking a few extra seconds to slow down and be sure about what you're doing.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

Noone is going to get mad

We're talking about Boston here.

I mean, gently caress 'em, but they do get mad.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Participate in autocross. It is fun and you will learn.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

When I was in the midwest a decade ago the local (Minneapolis) BMW club hosted teen and adult car control clinics, this might be something you could look for. Depending on the student and what they wanted to focus on the day could be geared towards performance, precision or general spacial awareness and competence behind the wheel. This wasn't BMW specific and I instructed in everything from pickup trucks and SUVs to sports and race cars.

The autocross suggestion is also really good if you can find a casual group that isn't super strict about things. Go volunteer to chase cones for a day, good way to meet people and have fun, then you generally get a few runs at the end of the day or during lunch if you don't want to pay and "compete".

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

PBCrunch posted:

Participate in autocross. It is fun and you will learn.

Is there a group that runs near Boston? A family friend asked about autocross after they saw some of my videos but IIRC I couldn't find a chapter out that way.

Is there any consensus on whether it's a good or bad to tell a dealer you've sunk X thousand into the car in repairs that you're trading it? Not sure if I should tell them how unreliable my Focus has been when I trade it, or if telling them I've replaced the fuel pump, purge valve, clutch, and parking brake would maybe net me more for the trade in :thunk:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Sab669 posted:

Is there any consensus on whether it's a good or bad to tell a dealer you've sunk X thousand into the car in repairs that you're trading it? Not sure if I should tell them how unreliable my Focus has been when I trade it, or if telling them I've replaced the fuel pump, purge valve, clutch, and parking brake would maybe net me more for the trade in :thunk:

It will make zero difference, same as Corvette boomers who bring their 5 inch thick binder of records with them when trading in which promptly goes in the trash can.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea that's kinda what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure if it'd be doing me a diservice to be like, "Hey you dudes want my lemon?"

I mean I know they don't care, it's the next owner's problem, but still

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sab669 posted:

Yea that's kinda what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure if it'd be doing me a diservice to be like, "Hey you dudes want my lemon?"

I mean I know they don't care, it's the next owner's problem, but still

They will just wholesale your lemon at the next auction. It's not their problem.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Sab669 posted:

if telling them I've replaced the fuel pump, purge valve, clutch, and parking brake would maybe net me more for the trade in :thunk:

It won’t.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Trade in value is 100% based on market conditions/value, plus whatever significant trim packages (SS, WRX, etc), minus which parts of the car aren't working (power windows, sunroof, etc), minus mileage

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Most dealers will dump most trade-ins onto a (typically dealers-only) auction, and the buyers at those auctions have very limited info. They definitely do not see "this car has a binder full of records of recent repairs" or "this car has a new waterpump". So, the dealer accepting the trade-in can't give you more money for that.
Also beware when combining a trade-in with a purchase; they can "give you a great deal on your trade-in" by just jacking up the price on your new purchase the same amount. Especially in today's absurd market where people are paying over MSRP on everything.

If you want maximum value for a used car, particularly a well-maintained one, sell it privately. Trade-ins are very convenient but get you the worst price, almost always.

And if something will cost you a couple hundred to fix, and you are gonna sell private, get that thing fixed. "Everything works" is worth more than +$300 or whatever vs. "Everything works except this thing, which I haven't bothered to fix, but it's easy to fix, I swear"

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sab669 posted:

... the mechanic called back and said they bled the clutch, no air in it, 3 of 'em test drove it and didn't feel anything wrong with it. I admit, driving home the pedal was much more firm, but I swear it's been off this week. I feel like I'm going crazy.

Just went to go clean it before almost surely selling it tomorrow:
https://i.imgur.com/PNiGXJd.mp4

I was hoping it would just get me to the dealer tomorrow and pass their evaluation, buuuuut :suicide: I do have cash on hand to just buy that E91 if it looks good, and then deal with / sell the Focus later but jesus CHRIST

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I was hoping it would just get me to the dealer tomorrow and pass their evaluation, buuuuut :suicide: I do have cash on hand to just buy that E91 if it looks good, and then deal with / sell the Focus later but jesus CHRIST

I’d talk to your mechanic. I did find a procedure here: https://www.focusrs.org/threads/clutch-bleed-location.42273/

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Vacuum your car

Politely Afraid!
Jan 13, 2008

sorry!
Thank you for the replies, I got a lot of good advice to consider! :abrathink: (I've never seen this Abra smilie before, it is very cute) I will try out the recommended strategies and improve my handling of a motor vehicle.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

They appear to have painted a literal automotive learner's training course on the parking lot at Suffolk Downs, complete with shipping containers to simulate blocked lines of sight??? I can't get down there in person to verify but the google imagery looks amazing:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sab669 posted:

You're putting far too much faith in the dealership's pre-trade inspection process.

The last time my mom traded in a vehicle, it threw the serpentine belt on the way to the dealership because she'd spent most of the week prior driving it around with a seized A/C pulley and just ignoring the racket. It was also leaking either ATF or dexcool, significantly.

Dealer didn't say a word and she still got the agreed trade-in value.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

I searched through the thread a bit and saw a little bit of selling advice, but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction to where to start.

My dad recently passed away, and he left behind a 2016 BMW 750i xdrive with about 36k miles. My mom thinks he paid about $100k for it, and then even went to Germany to pick it up. I need to get more information on the trim package, but where do we start? KBB seems to suggest a $45k asking price, but how much could the trim/color affect that? Should we even bother talking to a dealership/Carmax/Carvana or just go the private sale route? And if a private sale, where would you recommend we list it?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
2011 Ford Edge, 140k miles.

Symptoms: I have phantom button presses where the system thinks that someone is pressing in that yellow area. It causes my temperature to go up. Once triggered, it just increments up repeadedly until I press the (-) minus area to the left of the yellow box. On this panel, that's consistent with someone's finger pressing the area and staying on it (i.e. it's not like it's multiple presses, just registering as a finger stuck there).

It seems to get worse when the sun is coming in at an angle (such as in the morning) and alternates between flashes. That triggers it almost constantly. I can sometimes get it to stop for a while by punching the panel.

It's like the old capacitive-touch lamps that would think you turned them on in a thunderstorm. A new panel is $400 and I don't actually need the functionality ( I have 3 ways to set the temperature and it's not like I keep it off 69 degrees) so I'd rather disable it than anything. Any ideas to reduce the capacitance variation or whatever is causing it to interpret that someone has their finger on that button?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hed posted:

2011 Ford Edge, 140k miles.

Symptoms: I have phantom button presses where the system thinks that someone is pressing in that yellow area. It causes my temperature to go up. Once triggered, it just increments up repeadedly until I press the (-) minus area to the left of the yellow box. On this panel, that's consistent with someone's finger pressing the area and staying on it (i.e. it's not like it's multiple presses, just registering as a finger stuck there).

It seems to get worse when the sun is coming in at an angle (such as in the morning) and alternates between flashes. That triggers it almost constantly. I can sometimes get it to stop for a while by punching the panel.

It's like the old capacitive-touch lamps that would think you turned them on in a thunderstorm. A new panel is $400 and I don't actually need the functionality ( I have 3 ways to set the temperature and it's not like I keep it off 69 degrees) so I'd rather disable it than anything. Any ideas to reduce the capacitance variation or whatever is causing it to interpret that someone has their finger on that button?

Just found this online to recalibrate the system, I don't know if it will solve your problem but worth a shot?

The comment below is in reference to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykP_YT8OY1w

quote:

Touch Power first, and then touch Defrost while holding power. Keep holding both until you hear the actuators moving. It's a couple of seconds as mentioned in the video.

Release both and then touch Auto. Nothing in the display changes (at least that I noticed). No codes, no fan icon, at least not where I was expecting them to appear at the top of the screen. It's possible some other element on the screen went through changes when I wasn't looking.

Instead, I was watching the ambient lighting cycle. It'll run through its range of colors and then settle. The climate controls will spend some time thinking (recalibrating most likely), and then the system will return to normal function. It's possible that the colors themselves convey information, but I have no reference for decoding them if that's the case.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

WaffleZombie posted:

I searched through the thread a bit and saw a little bit of selling advice, but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction to where to start.

My dad recently passed away, and he left behind a 2016 BMW 750i xdrive with about 36k miles. My mom thinks he paid about $100k for it, and then even went to Germany to pick it up. I need to get more information on the trim package, but where do we start? KBB seems to suggest a $45k asking price, but how much could the trim/color affect that? Should we even bother talking to a dealership/Carmax/Carvana or just go the private sale route? And if a private sale, where would you recommend we list it?

First of all, my condolences. Sounds like he was a neat guy.

As for what to do with the car, I would see what Carvana and CarMax and so on offer, then take the best offer you get. A personal sale is a lot of work, and that’s a lot of money too. I know you can, but I don’t think it would be too enjoyable.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

WaffleZombie posted:

BMWs specifically you can find the specs from the VIN.

https://www.mdecoder.com/

https://bimmer.work/

7 series cars can have hugely expensive options, so it can be, important, but Carvana and the like will have all of this information from the VIN and it should be factored into the price.

Selling a ~$50k car privately can be a huge pain in the rear end, so it's worth at least figuring out what the big used car groups will offer you first.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Echoing Powershift and nitsuga, see what Carmax/Carvana/Vroom offer based on the VIN. Options are very important on a car like that so run the VIN through the sites Powershift mentioned to get an idea of how the car is equipped.

If you feel like it is worth the extra work to sell private I would post to local area BMW facebook groups for 5-10% higher than your best carvana/carmax offer and see if there is interest. If you go the private sale route spend a few hundred to have it cleaned and detailed, there is an amazing amount for $50k+ cars for sale that are absolutely filthy.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Have any of you guys sold on BAT/C&B before?

I feel like I could've gotten a little more privately if I sold my RS than what the dealer's going to give me on Monday, but yea selling a car is a pain. And I've only ever sold a $3K Corolla, never mind something worth tens of thousands. Seems to me that an auction site would be easier than dealing with tire kickers on Craigslist / Facebook groups etc? But of course gathering all the documentation/photos is in and of itself a pain :v:

I'm a sucker for convenience and would also just sell it to one of those online places or CarMax or whoever.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Sab669 posted:

Have any of you guys sold on BAT/C&B before?

I feel like I could've gotten a little more privately if I sold my RS than what the dealer's going to give me on Monday, but yea selling a car is a pain. And I've only ever sold a $3K Corolla, never mind something worth tens of thousands. Seems to me that an auction site would be easier than dealing with tire kickers on Craigslist / Facebook groups etc? But of course gathering all the documentation/photos is in and of itself a pain :v:

I'm a sucker for convenience and would also just sell it to one of those online places or CarMax or whoever.

I looked into the BringATrailer process once (a friend of mine had a very clean, very specific YJ Wrangler she was trying to sell). I think for the cheapest case, you detail the car and take a bunch of photos, and someone at BAT helps you write the ad copy. If I was trying to sell something interesting, I'd definitely go that route over CarMax. (CarMax does make it super easy to unload whatever crapcan you want to get rid of though)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

From what Doug says about his site, supposedly it's worth getting an actual photographer rather than just cell phone pictures of the vehicle in addition to getting it detailed a bit.

I just wonder how much of a hassle the actual transaction is, once the auction ends. Like how does that work. If they aren't local do they just mail you a check? Do the auction sites act as like an escrow service in any way?

That Corolla I sold, it was on the weekend after the bank closed and I was just remember thinking "Huh there's nothing stopping that person from coming back here with a gun and robbing me for their money back".

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I don't look at BaT that often, but it seems unless you have an exotic, a short supply new model, or a 10 year old car with 30 miles on it the offerings aren't that exciting, especially for what they sell for.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Sab669 posted:

From what Doug says about his site, supposedly it's worth getting an actual photographer rather than just cell phone pictures of the vehicle in addition to getting it detailed a bit.

I just wonder how much of a hassle the actual transaction is, once the auction ends. Like how does that work. If they aren't local do they just mail you a check? Do the auction sites act as like an escrow service in any way?

That Corolla I sold, it was on the weekend after the bank closed and I was just remember thinking "Huh there's nothing stopping that person from coming back here with a gun and robbing me for their money back".

For high value items one option is to do the exchange in a local police station parking lot or lobby for that reason, and they are 24/7. Just an idea.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

with a $50k car, you should be more worried about the car being on a boat before the bank figures out the draft is fake.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Sab669 posted:

Keep in mind last I checked BaT was an 8 week wait if they accept your car. Cars and Bids is probably a bit less.

Sab669 posted:

Bank wire transfer is the standard way. BaT, not sure about CaB, takes their cut then puts the parties in contact then is no longer involved at all.

KakerMix, Everdave and a few others have sold cars on those platforms. Several have bought from them. I bought our basket case Fiat from BaT and that pretty much turned me off of buying from there.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I really have nothing good to say about Bring a Trailer specifically, but in general auctioning vehicles on sites like that as well.
Now since my wife and I are legit dealers that changes things, since we've gotten to where we handle transactions like this regularly, and have our ways of selling and interacting with customers that public forums like BaT or Cars and Bids can never ever touch.

But as Nitrospazzz says, these places are only classifieds, they don't actually take part in the transaction at all. Since you have a more-expensive and still being sold vehicle my guess is Bring a Trailer would pass since it's "just" a 7 series. Cars and Bids would probably take it on, but you'd have to agree to a bunch of terms on your reserve.

Going with these auction places are a gamble and not at all worth it. If you just want to turn the car into money then I'd easily go with Carvana and the like first. Don't have to describe it at all, don't have to photograph it, don't even have to wash it, really. The expectations are far lower and your responsibility to a large, uncaring-not-a-person company is nil.

EDIT
Time is money, and I will absolutely go the easy way to get most of whatever money I can get vs. jumping through a bunch of dumb hoops to only maybe make a few thousand more. Most people seem to get hyper-focused on the raw dollar amount and don't take into account how much effort it takes to get the last like, 10% or whatever. Its never worth it, time is invaluable, take the easy safe way, etc etc.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 2, 2022

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I sold two cars to a local "I buy cars for cash" guy in the past 6 months and it was easy as can be.

He beat the online offers I got from the usual web sites and just showed up with a wad of crisp $100 bills, gave me a receipt, threw his dealer plate on, and drove off. No need to have a parade of strangers at my house.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

10k is obv considerably less than 50k but when i bought an abarth from a private owner summer of 2020 i was surprised he took a check and signed it over at a notary without even getting it checked at a bank.

very lucky my car got totaled while parked in front of my house before poo poo went completely insane

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen
I’m looking at a couple C4 Corvettes this weekend.

Should I buy one y/n?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

mr.belowaverage posted:

I’m looking at a couple C4 Corvettes this weekend.

Should I buy one y/n?

Very Y. I saw a red one driving around, and drat they're a good looking car from the right angles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

WaffleZombie posted:

driveway.com

I got more from them for my car than they're selling privately for on carsandbids