Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

just fuckin bring your food home, jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zugzwang posted:

What’s y’all’s testing access like? Are they gutting it like they are in the US/UK/elsewhere?

there's not really anything to gut if there was never a lot of it in the first place: you can still get tested whenever you want, as long as you're willing to pay for it. My last RT-PCR in January of this year cost the equivalent of 50 dollars

local governments offer "free testing" but it comes with a bunch of requirements that can be hard to hit, including residency, social security, and a pre-existing condition

as far as data-gathering the other problem is that the Dept of Health also stopped reporting on the number of tests administered last month (hence why that section of my chart stops after March 5th)

they're still releasing "positivity rate" data, but on a weekly basis (which isn't helpful when Omicron only took 10 days to spike) and without knowing the number of tests underpinning that percentage it's still not great

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

this is still 7 times higher than what the CDC originally said was low community transmission (:10bux: they're referencing that but forgot it was 10 cases/100k pop/week) and still so laughably lower than actual CDC guidance right now I have no idea how it got into an Open Biden article

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

fosborb posted:

lol

the doc they got to convince you to eat at restaurants is an infectious disease expert on transplants

Oh my god
why is every media narrative so laser focused on getting people back into restaurants

Apr 7, 2003

Every media narrative is so insanely focused on getting people back into restaurants, it’s like your eight year old nephew who can’t stop talking about legos all day except it’s a years long national project focused on getting people back into chili’s. Good god

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Oh my god
why is every media narrative so laser focused on getting people back into restaurants
https://twitter.com/barstoolwsd/status/1496872249600581635

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

toggle posted:

how quickly can you get infected? if i jog past someone and get a whiff is that all it takes? or is it that “15mins close contact” type deal?

i got infected by this post

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
this is loving hilarious. who is this even for? who is possibly going to print this out and to what end?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

fosborb posted:

this is loving hilarious. who is this even for? who is possibly going to print this out and to what end?

they are extremely proud of their covid spreading guide

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Louisgod posted:

just fuckin bring your food home, jesus christ

An impossible ask

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Oh my god

It's pervasive in our culture. Anecdotally, every single time I've turned people down for meeting them in the last two years has been because they wanted to go to a restaurant and I didn't want to get the plague.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

fosborb posted:

this is still 7 times higher than what the CDC originally said was low community transmission (:10bux: they're referencing that but forgot it was 10 cases/100k pop/week) and still so laughably lower than actual CDC guidance right now I have no idea how it got into an Open Biden article

The CDC says catching COVID is fine and you should not try not to catch COVID unless the hospital is already full and then maybe consider wearing a mask is you feel like it but no pressure.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

fosborb posted:

The target market is people that are already doing these things and want to be told that they don’t need to feel bad about it.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

fosborb posted:

This is the most npr thing I've ever seen.

Like the only thing that could make it more npr is if it were written by David Sedaris

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It's pervasive in our culture. Anecdotally, every single time I've turned people down for meeting them in the last two years has been because they wanted to go to a restaurant and I didn't want to get the plague.

also don’t feel like overpaying for a plate of reheated sysco salt and fat

Apr 7, 2003

I grew up poor as hell and consumerism in general wasn’t for me until my early thirties or so, I’m used to being an outsider looking in at this stuff anyway. But it’s still absolutely insane to me that people can’t stop doing these things that have a risk of killing them and every media source in America on either side of the spectrum keeps telling them they should. It’s loving wild.

Apr 7, 2003

I don’t think I ever ate in a sit down restaurant more than two times in my entire childhood and people literally dying for it is funny as hell and also incredibly sad

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

I like how the only in-person activity NPR's brunchlib wfh cartoonist can think of is yoga.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

fosborb posted:

I loving wish people would forget the "six foot rule".

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

gradenko_2000 posted:

there's not really anything to gut if there was never a lot of it in the first place: you can still get tested whenever you want, as long as you're willing to pay for it. My last RT-PCR in January of this year cost the equivalent of 50 dollars

local governments offer "free testing" but it comes with a bunch of requirements that can be hard to hit, including residency, social security, and a pre-existing condition

as far as data-gathering the other problem is that the Dept of Health also stopped reporting on the number of tests administered last month (hence why that section of my chart stops after March 5th)

they're still releasing "positivity rate" data, but on a weekly basis (which isn't helpful when Omicron only took 10 days to spike) and without knowing the number of tests underpinning that percentage it's still not great

How’s mask usage etc there? I know you’ve been posting about your wife being pressured into socializing in restaurants…

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

I don’t think I ever ate in a sit down restaurant more than two times in my entire childhood and people literally dying for it is funny as hell and also incredibly sad

I grew up similarly. we ate out maybe once every couple of years and, maybe as a result, I’m not devastated about avoiding restaurants for these last couple of years.

I don’t really get it.

really makes for tension in relationships, though!

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 16:26 on Mar 4, 2023

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

McCracAttack posted:

I loving wish people would forget the "six foot rule".
over a million Americans stuck with it pretty well

edit: I'm hearing the six foot rule isn't referring to burials

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

D&D owes me an apology. "hurr hurr don't call it brain damage" shut the gently caress up

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Animal-Mother posted:

I like how the only in-person activity NPR's brunchlib wfh cartoonist can think of is yoga.

if you read the full zine, there is also karaoke, bar crawl, "rave party," and visit grandma

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shifty Pony posted:

sure seems like the question of "how high does R0 need to be before containment is impossible using testing-triggered lockdowns", which nobody wanted empirically answered, has been answered now.

dammit.

are you talking about shanghai?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

fosborb posted:

if you read the full zine, there is also karaoke, bar crawl, "rave party," and visit grandma

apparently npr’s userbase are raging alcoholics

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Louisgod posted:

well yeah, a lot of them are the coastal professionals who earn a decent amount of money. that demo drinks a LOT more than average

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

lol :d2a:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Strep Vote posted:

D&D owes me an apology. "hurr hurr don't call it brain damage" shut the gently caress up

Wait if the spike protein directly, doesn't that mean the mRNA vaccines have a substantial risk of the same thing?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Oh my god

I sometimes wonder if this is the case of journalists coming from a totally different class from me or something. I thought I grew up middle class and I think most of my friends did too, and pre pandemic yeah I'd meet people in restaurants but mid-pandemic everybody I know is perfectly fine with "we'll met at somebody's apartment and either get take out or somebody cooks." If anything I prefer it, feels like being an actual adult and I like cooking and we're paying like 12 dollars for a six pack instead of 6 dollars per beer. It's nice!

The only virtue of restaurants left to me are 1) I don't know how to cook everything 2) for friends who live like >1 hour away it was nice to have a compromise location. And (1) is pretty much beat out by the fact that I'm vegan and knowing all the ingredients used cuz I cooked them is pretty valuable to me and (2) I mean parks will be pleasant enough in a few weeks when the weather warms up.

But reading newspapers you'd think that humans are obligate restaurant diners. Like we'll physically die if we don't get a sit-down meal treatment. Willing to sacrifice every other element of civilization so long as this one particular cultural ritual gets seen through. It's like a joke from a hamfisted social commentary scifi.

Tzen posted:

i will say listening to Death Panel Podcast while going on long runs has been a nice crossover of my 'hobbies' lmao

lol nice

I mostly run b/c if I'm going at a good medium pace my brain shuts down so the idea of listening to a podcast while running feels like mixing oil and water to me. I usually listen to Perturbator or Mastodon.

Trixie Hardcore posted:

My husband got into building bioactive vivariums and they’re beautiful and interesting and I’m glad he found a hobby he loves but they’re in like every room now and he just spent $150 on geckos to keep his poison dart frogs company.

This is cool lol. I'm slowly building up a good plant collection.

I'm genuinely jealous of some of you guys with cave mode spouses. I don't completely look like poo poo for the first time in my life and it'd be nice to have somebody to cuddle with and so on but people overstate their level of cautiousness so extremely that it seems like too much drat work.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Strep Vote posted:

How can they determine brain damage if they're brain damaged to begin with? :thunk:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Louisgod posted:

It's one of the best ways to control people around. Alcohol sucksss

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
If you live in a big city and make a decent living you probably eat out or order in a major portion of your food and the media class only exists in those bubbles.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
gal: what do you want to do tonight babe?
guy: I dunno.. beer bust, beer blast, keggers, steinhoist, AA meeting, beer night?
gal: how about we stay in and drink a gallon of Merlot while talking about how much we love harry potter?
guy: sounds epic and awesome babe.

Apr 7, 2003

Tulip posted:

I sometimes wonder if this is the case of journalists coming from a totally different class from me or something.

Like congressional interns, the journalist class is gatekept by unpaid internships leading into poor pay, guaranteeing that only the scions of the rich get into those professions. It’s 100% by design.

Covid has been over for the media class since summer of 2020 when they figured out that money insulates them from this, too. The Ukraine poo poo is the greatest gift they could ever have been given since they’ve got something besides a boring disease to report on.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

*ned Flanders voice*

One Rave Concert please!

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

ikanreed posted:

Wait if the spike protein directly, doesn't that mean the mRNA vaccines have a substantial risk of the same thing?

I’m a loving idiot but I think this addresses that question maybe

https://twitter.com/DragonsMetal666/status/1509897262880677888

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Tulip posted:

I sometimes wonder if this is the case of journalists coming from a totally different class from me or something. I thought I grew up middle class and I think most of my friends did too, and pre pandemic yeah I'd meet people in restaurants but mid-pandemic everybody I know is perfectly fine with "we'll met at somebody's apartment and either get take out or somebody cooks." If anything I prefer it, feels like being an actual adult and I like cooking and we're paying like 12 dollars for a six pack instead of 6 dollars per beer. It's nice!

The only virtue of restaurants left to me are 1) I don't know how to cook everything 2) for friends who live like >1 hour away it was nice to have a compromise location. And (1) is pretty much beat out by the fact that I'm vegan and knowing all the ingredients used cuz I cooked them is pretty valuable to me and (2) I mean parks will be pleasant enough in a few weeks when the weather warms up.

But reading newspapers you'd think that humans are obligate restaurant diners. Like we'll physically die if we don't get a sit-down meal treatment. Willing to sacrifice every other element of civilization so long as this one particular cultural ritual gets seen through. It's like a joke from a hamfisted social commentary scifi.

Yeah, I'm having trouble putting my finger on it but the narrative is like... further reinforcing the concept that the only "legitimate" form of socialization occurs on commercial real estate. You can sing and dance and eat and socialize in the open air at a block party but to some that's "tacky" bc you didn't pay a cover charge and go into a building to do it instead. I've had friends try to get me to go to those "get wine drunk and paint" events and I'm like girl I've made it perfectly clear y'all could have done that for free at my place :colbert:

edit: lol bloc party, mobile posting will get ya every time

BoothBaberGinsburg has issued a correction as of 16:59 on Apr 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

NPRishly: this person has 4 comorbidities