Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/oeTZQCG.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I would watch the hell out of a Mad Max movie set in the Canadian wilderness with that aesthetic.

Slightly annoyed but still polite Max doesn’t have the same ring to it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/sdeJLbl.mp4
:munch:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

IF YOU CAN READ THIS
THE LICH FELL OFF

:boom:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7081716675007040811

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/vfmbEgL.mp4

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

I puckered a little, i was so sure i was about to see the tip of his finger fly off

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

-Zydeco- posted:

From the Shad thread. Not OSHA content per se, but I'd be careful about handing a man a hammer and standing there when pulling a prank on him.

lmao

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

This video has everything. The sounds and sights at the end are so intense and harrowing.

Any idea on where this was?

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 4, 2022

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
My two cents on bone bike:

I'm sure vultures pick them good, but not flesh/meat-less good. Like dont places that specialize in bones put them in a box of maggots? I remember this being a segment on Dirty Jobs and a bunch of fuzzy pink maggots eating all the meat before they bleach and strength da bones.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

PhazonLink posted:

I'm sure vultures pick them good, but not flesh/meat-less good. Like dont places that specialize in bones put them in a box of maggots? I remember this being a segment on Dirty Jobs and a bunch of fuzzy pink maggots eating all the meat before they bleach and strength da bones.

It's beetles not maggots. There's a lot of ways to clean a skull. Leaving it out will attract wild beetles, ants and other bugs that will clean it well if not fast.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Various species of Dermestid beetles are the standard, especially for museum prep, osteological study, and taxidermy. Some of them are also especially useful in forensics because they are ubiquitous and have very predictable arrival times on corpses. Time of death and other things related to dead bodies in investigations can be estimated pretty accurately once Dermestids are present on a corpse, based on things like life staged the beetles and amount of tissue consumed.

Ants actually do a pretty good job cleaning carcasses on their own too. I put a dead map turtle on an ant mound a few years ago and got a really nice shell and skull after a couple months in the summer.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 4, 2022

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

IF YOU CAN READ THIS
THE LICH FELL OFF

:lol:

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

IF YOU CAN READ THIS
THE LICH FELL OFF

:coal:

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

I feel bad for the crime scene tech that has to work the inevitable crash scene and sort the animal remains from human remains.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

On the pro side he’s got liquid cooling keeping his bearings from melting. On the con side he’s going to hit a pot hole and flip onto a wet expressway and the vehicle behind will roll right over him regardless of whether they hit the brakes.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
So that's why every shopping cart I grab has hosed up wheels

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

PhazonLink posted:

I used to work with natural history museum collections and go to see how bones are prepared for storage and collections.

Bigger bones are cleaned by maceration. In the museum they did this in a huge tank with enzymes and detergents, but you can just put bones in a barrel of water and leave it out in the sun and let the bacteria dissolve all soft tissues.

Skeletons of smaller animals are cleaned by dermestid beetles. It's the beetle larvae that does the eating. In nature, dermestids are some of the last insects to arrive at a carcass. The soft tissues are usually eaten by larger animal and fly maggots. Dermestids arrive when the bones are almost cleaned and very dry. In the museum they used a regular househol drying cabinet, like you would use for clothes, to dry the bones before they would let the dermestids have at them.

When you got rid of all the soft tissue by maceration or dermestids, the bones are still full of fat and will go rancid and stink if they aren't degreased. The museum did this in the big steel vat with detergents, but you can also do it with a bucket and dish soap, or ammonia if you are in a hurry.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

axolotl farmer posted:

I used to work with natural history museum collections and go to see how bones are prepared for storage and collections.

Bigger bones are cleaned by maceration. In the museum they did this in a huge tank with enzymes and detergents, but you can just put bones in a barrel of water and leave it out in the sun and let the bacteria dissolve all soft tissues.

Skeletons of smaller animals are cleaned by dermestid beetles. It's the beetle larvae that does the eating. In nature, dermestids are some of the last insects to arrive at a carcass. The soft tissues are usually eaten by larger animal and fly maggots. Dermestids arrive when the bones are almost cleaned and very dry. In the museum they used a regular househol drying cabinet, like you would use for clothes, to dry the bones before they would let the dermestids have at them.

When you got rid of all the soft tissue by maceration or dermestids, the bones are still full of fat and will go rancid and stink if they aren't degreased. The museum did this in the big steel vat with detergents, but you can also do it with a bucket and dish soap, or ammonia if you are in a hurry.

The redneck method is to toss it on a fire ant mound and wait a few weeks.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

<doublepost>

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Mods, please change my username to Redneck Quadrophenia

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm schizophenic.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

B-Rock452 posted:

I can't even imagine where I would begin if I rolled up to an accident involving that. Are we going to have friction burns? Impalements? Crush injuries? So many different types of trauma is possible.

"a hoooooole new woooorld"

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

love my sandwhich with extra fiber in it

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Unperson_47 posted:

This video has everything. The sounds and sights at the end are so intense and harrowing.

Any idea on where this was?

Dallas

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Oh wow, it wasn't even that long ago

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dallas/comments/kubqdt/truck_hits_pole_during_takeover_at_nw_highway_and/

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dallas Slider's Club

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

I remember reading somewhere that someone at a University would prepare human skulls for medical dissection by boiling them in water for a few days.

The problem was that this apparently smelled amazing and they had all sorts of hungry students try to get in the lab asking "what are you cooking? Can I have some?"

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

OSHA IV: Boiling Human Skulls apparently smells Amazing

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I think I am insufficiently hip and trendy to appreciate the aesthetic artistry of this.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I am picturing someone accidentally spilling a bit of their morning coffee while walking up the steps, slipping on it, then falling over, shattering the glass and stabbing themselves with the shards in the process.

I looked at this and realized you can only use every other step because some of them are positioned *behind* the subsequent one.

There Bias Two fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 4, 2022

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

now they're just loving with us

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Poldarn posted:

I remember reading somewhere that someone at a University would prepare human skulls for medical dissection by boiling them in water for a few days.

The problem was that this apparently smelled amazing and they had all sorts of hungry students try to get in the lab asking "what are you cooking? Can I have some?"

Maybe it's the quantity or the preparation method but I remember seeing something about a brain study/storage facility and it smelling just awful all the time.

Probably the preservatives.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

There Bias Two posted:

I looked at this and realized you can only use every other step because some of them are positioned *behind* the subsequent one.

It's tough to tell from the perspective, but I think they're intended to be slanted horizontally enough to use in that stupid left foot/right foot order.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

There Bias Two posted:

They're angled. It's one of those trendy staircases where each level has a tread for only one foot, but it's so avant-garde it's hard to tell from the photo

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I would love to know what weight they think those things are rated for. People definitely never stomp up stairs either.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I know nothing about construction, is there a transparent material that could actually work for this?

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

By popular demand posted:

I know nothing about construction, is there a transparent material that could actually work for this?

Definitely, take a look at this clip from a documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90eg_erObDo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010
Various kinds of reinforced glass is often used as a floor for things like walkways and balconies, so there's no reason to assume it won't work in stairs. The real issue is the lack of a railing, and the possibility of slippery steps.