Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Professor Beetus posted:

Lmao your expensive prices are still cheaper than eggs at any of my local grocers. Serves me right for living in Cascadia I guess.

also lmao at "flavorless and nutritionally void" from a follow up post. Yawg, please explain in detail the actual measurable nutritional differences between a factory farmed egg and a bespoke organic certified egg. I personally don't like factory farming practices and wish that most of them could be actually banned by law, it's just not something that consumers can or should take into account when making their purchases, particularly if they are living in poverty.

Wait, you don't think consumers should take into consideration whether or not the animals being used to make their food are raised humanely or not?

Also, yes, the food you give/provide for animals that use that food to produce a resource heavy byproduct does in fact have a measurable outcome on it. In eggs it's mostly visible in the type of fat and the level of vitamins.

As another person already noted the joke was about suspiciously low prices of certain foods but it is crazy how many people came out with "how dare you attack the poor!" I highly doubt that many of the people here cannot buy ethical animal products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Yawgmoft posted:

Wait, you don't think consumers should take into consideration whether or not the animals being used to make their food are raised humanely or not?

Also, yes, the food you give/provide for animals that use that food to produce a resource heavy byproduct does in fact have a measurable outcome on it. In eggs it's mostly visible in the type of fat and the level of vitamins.

As another person already noted the joke was about suspiciously low prices of certain foods but it is crazy how many people came out with "how dare you attack the poor!" I highly doubt that many of the people here cannot buy ethical animal products.

People that are living in poverty and have to buy cheap eggs are not responsible for humane treatment of animals, which is what I was saying. That sort of thing needs be done from top down, ideally with laws being created to ensure humane treatment of animals. It should not and can not be done with consumer demand via capitalism. I personally buy humane animal products but lmao, like half the country doesn't even have more than a thousand dollars in savings so "how dare you attack the poor" isn't some thing people are doing performatively.

The differences cited in the couple (non-peer reviewed) studies I was able to find about the eggs also don't seem statistically significant for a poor family to worry about when they're looking at a price increase of anywhere from 2-7 dollars for premium eggs.

I don't disagree with you about food quality and animal welfare, I just don't agree that it's on the consumer. It's a job for government regulation and it's pathetic that our country will likely never have a government functional enough to do such things.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
I'm lucky enough to be able to buy eggs from a local guy I work with. I eat a lot of eggs, 3-5 a day, and an older coworker told me the ultra cheap grocerystore eggs literally aren't as nutritious as what I'll call "natural" eggs. Sure enough, psychosomatic or not, I feel better paying my neighbor to raise his own chickens and provide us with local eggs.

I understand not everybody has that option, but it does make me feel better knowing a significant portion of my diet is local.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

You cannot buy ethical eggs in the USA since practically every company practices chick culling. At least not in the vast majority of grocery stores.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Probably more a sticking point for a vegetarian that eats eggs than it would be for anyone that eats meat.

Cats need to eat too, after all.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Worth noting here that "organic" as regulated in the US isn't synonymous with better animal treatment or nutrition; it's an awkward, massively captured combination of things, many of which are just tied to a fear-based market for "natural" products and processes.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Indeed. It's far better to look for third party regulators in each industry for humane and real enforcement of concepts like "humane", "free range", or "grass fed"

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

This is the sort of thing I'm speaking to when I discount the measures by which the economy is booming.

https://apnews.com/article/2022-midterm-elections-biden-covid-health-business-f28163a146d043700247a299f39be4e9

Most people simply don't feel it and I think it's a mistake to disregard that and just point to traditional measurements about why they're all mistaken. Earnings may be up, unemployment may be low and the stock market GDP blah blah blah but none of that means poo poo when 70% of the country is not experiencing or benefiting from it. "The Economy" may, in fact, be kicking rear end and several people have posted some neat chars and graphs but it's not reaching the wallets and savings accounts of a large majority of people.

This behavior by Democrats is a lot easier to understand if you view it as axiomatic rather than a considered response. The data itself is orthogonal because it will always be assumed to be the best that could have reasonably been done under the circumstances and anything more is unicorn fantasy, with their only acknowledged failing being their struggles in making the hoi polloi aware of how great things are. This both insulates them from ever having to reflect on the insufficiency of their policies and the failings of their governing ideology, while simultaneously providing evergreen justification for the existence of the sprawling consultancy apparatus that keeps their useless failkids employed as both brainstormers for the rosy data as well as being theoretical prole whisperers

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

BiggerBoat posted:

Several of the cheap grocery stores around here have closed. So have the kid's consignment shops, the local flea market and a few thrift shops. You'd think it'd be the other way around. :shrug:

Meanwhile, construction of hotels and new buildings for strip malls are going up everywhere and it's always some franchise. Which is weird since you'd think that the franchises would just rent out the vacant real estate instead of building new places. And you'd think that Dollar Stores and poo poo would be booming right now?

“Cheap stores” operate on the thinnest of margins by abusing economies of scale and cutting corners. If prices raise their profits evaporate.

There is also that fact that despite the rally of “We are the 99%!” there is a large and growing divide between the upper and lower half of Americans.

For example, the “working class” American spends like three times the relative amount of disposable income on mortgage compared to the “upper middle class” American.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Very Well Qualified Buyers (rich people who know other rich people) can get 0% interest. It's like that with a lot of things.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
If you don't have enough money to pay for your education and housing you can just live in your car in the university parking lot. :smith:

https://twitter.com/loisbeckett/status/1510735286963113984?s=20&t=wvjOsIucrv1fJLKslw7l5Q

https://twitter.com/loisbeckett/status/1510737324128174086?s=20&t=wvjOsIucrv1fJLKslw7l5Q

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Yawgmoft posted:

There is no way eggs under 2 dollars a dozen are not flavorless nutritionally void factory farmed eggs.

According to the CPI data, the average cost of a dozen large eggs nationwide is usually less than two dollars, except during recessions, bird flu outbreaks, and other anomalous events such as the COVID supply chain shocks.

The especially cheap eggs in recent years were the result of a market failure, not extreme corner-cutting. After the 2015 bird flu outbreak devastated the poultry industry, egg costs shot up to roughly $3/dozen, which encouraged a lot of farmers to invest very strongly in replenishing their supply of egg-laying hens. Once those eggs started hitting the market, it turned out that too many farmers had bought too many hens, and in short order the egg supply was exceeding egg demand and driving prices back down to levels not seen since the mid-00s.

Of course, in addition to the inflation and COVID market disruptions that have been generally driving food prices up already, a bird flu outbreak has been picking up steam the past few weeks and is showing no sign of stopping, so I'd expect egg prices to keep rising. Given the amount of poo poo that was hitting prices even before the bird flu outbreak, I'd expect this to send egg prices even higher than the 2015 outbreak.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
^yeah and everything that restaurants traditionally used in huge quantities got super cheap during the pandemic. It's actually insane how many eggs restaurants and other commercial kitchens go through and most of that demand evaporated overnight. Certain cuts of meat went through something similar: I was getting whole, untrimmed tenderloins for less than the cost of brisket, which is one of the most insane pricing differentials I've ever seen.

Professor Beetus posted:

Lmao your expensive prices are still cheaper than eggs at any of my local grocers. Serves me right for living in Cascadia I guess.

also lmao at "flavorless and nutritionally void" from a follow up post. Yawg, please explain in detail the actual measurable nutritional differences between a factory farmed egg and a bespoke organic certified egg. I personally don't like factory farming practices and wish that most of them could be actually banned by law, it's just not something that consumers can or should take into account when making their purchases, particularly if they are living in poverty.

there absolutely are macro/micro nutrient differences depending on what chickens (hell, all meat) eats albeit it's broadly over-stated as a health factor afaik

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 4, 2022

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm always suspicious of overstating the health benefits of natural foods, but fresh eggs from healthy chickens definitely do taste better in that they have any flavor at all. I used to volunteer at an urban coop during work and was able to take home as many eggs as the birds had laid that morning. I definitely want to get a coop going as soon as I can although actually maintaining even a few chickens is a lot.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Professor Beetus posted:

Stop shopping at New Seasons.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

punk rebel ecks posted:

Stop shopping at New Seasons.

I don't know what that is so I'll assume it's some bougie King County thing.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Professor Beetus posted:

I don't know what that is so I'll assume it's some bougie King County thing.

The OG hippy grocery store in Portland was Nature's, which was bought out by one of the huge conglomerates, and the founders of Nature's then went on to form a new store New Seasons, which I think has again been bought out by Kroger or something?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I shop at Winco and prices haven't shot up that much. They aren't that much different than back home in the Midwest actually once you account for the lack of sales tax.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

This behavior by Democrats is a lot easier to understand if you view it as axiomatic rather than a considered response. The data itself is orthogonal because it will always be assumed to be the best that could have reasonably been done under the circumstances and anything more is unicorn fantasy, with their only acknowledged failing being their struggles in making the hoi polloi aware of how great things are. This both insulates them from ever having to reflect on the insufficiency of their policies and the failings of their governing ideology, while simultaneously providing evergreen justification for the existence of the sprawling consultancy apparatus that keeps their useless failkids employed as both brainstormers for the rosy data as well as being theoretical prole whisperers

'We haven't properly explained to them how hard we already worked and how lucky they have it' certainly sounds on brand for Democrats.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Several of the cheap grocery stores around here have closed. So have the kid's consignment shops, the local flea market and a few thrift shops. You'd think it'd be the other way around. :shrug:

Meanwhile, construction of hotels and new buildings for strip malls are going up everywhere and it's always some franchise. Which is weird since you'd think that the franchises would just rent out the vacant real estate instead of building new places. And you'd think that Dollar Stores and poo poo would be booming right now?

Every vacant spot is owned by someone that believes they can charge the prices they always did in the past and would rather stay vacant than lower the rent.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
so vacancy fees/taxes that ramp up within months during the 1st year are the solution?

Oh and when they try to metagame this with some empty building ghost business , drop a hammer on that too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

kdrudy posted:

Every vacant spot is owned by someone that believes they can charge the prices they always did in the past and would rather stay vacant than lower the rent.

This also applies to residential buildings. Rents never go down.

PhazonLink posted:

so vacancy fees/taxes that ramp up within months during the 1st year are the solution?

Oh and when they try to metagame this with some empty building ghost business , drop a hammer on that too.

Why do you hate mom and pop small business owners? Are you trying to destroy the economy?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1510783887600988168?s=20

Sarah is baaaaack!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

It's only fair, seeing as how Trump only became a viable political entity after he took Palin's endorsement and then promptly pushed her off the national stage. Her crawling back onto it atop the deflating blob of his still not-quite-dead political viability makes it perfectly symmetrical.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
So this dumb thing happened. Trump made a long riff on Peter Meijer's name at a Michigan rally (He's a RINO I guess?), and how it's dumb and confusing that it's pronounced MY-er.

https://twitter.com/JacobRubashkin/status/1510417688589443077

While much of the crowd seems unenthused, there are people jeering, I assume, along with him. As almost every reply to this says, Meijer's, which his family owns, is a huge grocery store chain in Michigan. Everyone there has always known how to say it. But some people there also decided, in that moment, that Meijer is a dumb, confusing name and they've always hated it. It's wild.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Trump puts people into Tiny Train World irl all the time, it's hilarious.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Dr Christmas posted:

So this dumb thing happened. Trump made a long riff on Peter Meijer's name at a Michigan rally (He's a RINO I guess?), and how it's dumb and confusing that it's pronounced MY-er.

https://twitter.com/JacobRubashkin/status/1510417688589443077

While much of the crowd seems unenthused, there are people jeering, I assume, along with him. As almost every reply to this says, Meijer's, which his family owns, is a huge grocery store chain in Michigan. Everyone there has always known how to say it. But some people there also decided, in that moment, that Meijer is a dumb, confusing name and they've always hated it. It's wild.

So fascinating. This was indeed an event that happened, and is current. I'm curious, though, what is it that you find interesting about this story? Are you actually surprised that a supportive crowd went along with something even though it was stupid?

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty
It's kind of neat to see it in real time. That thing where people don't have any opinion about something because it's irrelevant to them or their lives, but then it becomes something that they care very deeply about the moment someone mentions it to them in a context where it can be used to declare themselves part of an in-group. Or rather, when it becomes something they can use to declare other people part of an out-group, I guess.

It's super common in every day life among peer groups, but trump does seem to be able to hone in on it virtually constantly. Contrasted to the democrats ability to ... not do this, I imagine there's something to be said for memeifying everything. If it becomes something more people can replicate, it'll probably be the mode of political propaganda in the future. But so far it doesn't seem like many people really have the knack for it aside from him.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Jizz Festival posted:

So fascinating. This was indeed an event that happened, and is current. I'm curious, though, what is it that you find interesting about this story? Are you actually surprised that a supportive crowd went along with something even though it was stupid?

Saying that poo poo in Michigan where Meijer's is ubiquitous and has been around as a hypermart since before Walmarts creeped in is a weird play. It would be like going to Philly and making fun of WaWas or something like that.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This also applies to residential buildings. Rents never go down.

They do, but only if there is ample housing stock available.

Washington D.C. had moderately high housing costs in the 50's, was one of the cheapest places to live in the 80's, and is now one of the most expensive metro areas in the country in 2022.

Detroit has a similar trajectory, except it hasn't (and maybe never will) hit the third step of shooting up in price.

So, you can lower housing prices and rents, but you either need to build a lot more houses or pull a Detroit and have your city become so unattractive to live in and economically collapse, that over 60% of your population leaves within 20 years and people start giving houses away for free just to get rid of the property tax liability.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Sekhmnet posted:

Saying that poo poo in Michigan where Meijer's is ubiquitous and has been around as a hypermart since before Walmarts creeped in is a weird play. It would be like going to Philly and making fun of WaWas or something like that.

I think the kind of person who goes to a Trump rally is essentially a painpig who enjoys being humiliated and scorned, so this would actually work well for him.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Wait, I thought you were on the northwest side of the Everglades why are you describing my neighborhood just north of Miami?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Ershalim posted:

It's kind of neat to see it in real time. That thing where people don't have any opinion about something because it's irrelevant to them or their lives, but then it becomes something that they care very deeply about the moment someone mentions it to them in a context where it can be used to declare themselves part of an in-group. Or rather, when it becomes something they can use to declare other people part of an out-group, I guess.

This paragraph isolated from the rest of your post could be talking about either a Trump rally or about Democrats talking about a Trump rally.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
e: eh gently caress it, don't want to poo poo up the thread, just give me a 12 hour probe

\/\/\/\/\/\/ yeah it's fine, whatever, I'm breaking the rules and you're not so keeping whatever it is you do for whatever reason you do it

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 4, 2022

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Mellow Seas posted:

:jerkbag:

Weird that you have no response to the phrase "a painpig who enjoys being humiliated and scorned" but you just had to jump on the far less aggressive thing a "lib" poster had said.

Oh, I had a response to that, too; I just thought it'd be superfluous to post.

In any case, if you have a problem with what I post, please report it rather than playing Festivus with the rest of us. Thanks!

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The Democratic hit parade is rolling out its tried & true again:

quote:

As they face a serious enthusiasm gap going into the midterms, some Democrats are quietly reveling in how salacious reports about Trump and his allies — not to mention this week’s sex-and-drugs scandal in the House GOP — could help awaken their base. The two parties are still a long way from November, but Trump and the GOP’s other lightning-rod figures are giving Democrats just the political foil they’ve been looking for as virtually everything else has gone the Republicans’ way.

Now they need to make sure voters remember it, instead of the governing troubles that have plagued the party for the past year.

“We still have a villain. We’ll have to remind people of what that was like. And that sure scares the hell out of me,” Rep. Scott Peters (D-Calif.) said.

“For God’s sake, how did we get to the point where ... the base voters are so mad about two of our own senators, rather than Mitch McConnell and Donald Trump and Jan. 6? That is a tremendously mismanaged situation,” he added.

What’s not clear, however, is whether anti-Trump energy can give Democrats sustained momentum — it’s a nebulous prospect for a party that’s seen its biggest priorities stalled while the costs of everything from gas and groceries continue to shoot up.

Focusing on Trump and other GOP rabble-rousers will hardly be the only item in Democrats’ midterm playbook this year. The party would much rather run on what they’ve gotten done with their two years in power, particularly in battlegrounds. But some Democrats still acknowledge that perhaps the best way to gin up their base is a time-honored trick that Trump himself has mastered: fear.

“One of the things that motivates voters is fear, and a lot of this is causing a lot of fear among not just Democrats but also rational individuals everywhere,” said Rep. Ted Lieu (D-Calif.), who tweeted this week that he planned to make scandal-plagued Rep. Madison Cawthorn (R-N.C.) the “face and voice of the @HouseGOP.” (Cawthorn, who insinuated that fellow Republicans had invited him to orgies and done cocaine, is set to appear at a Saturday rally alongside Trump.)

“If the Democrats lose the majority … then people are going to truthfully get away with stuff unimaginable,” Rep. Bill Pascrell (D-N.J.) said. While Democrats may be “imperfect,” he said, Republicans “sure as hell haven’t done a drat thing.”

It’s not the plan for everyone: The most vulnerable Democrats have little interest in nationalizing the election, since turning Trump into a villain doesn’t exactly help in GOP-friendly turf they must defend. Most are already planning to run mayoral-style races — playing up local issues and training their attacks entirely on their own opponents — to make it less of a referendum on President Joe Biden.

But while centering a campaign around Trump may not be helpful, even some frontline members are privately entertaining some campaign focus on the House GOP’s biggest firebrands, including Cawthorn and Reps. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) and Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.). Their argument: Things may not be going great for Democrats, but wouldn’t it be worse the other way?

“I mean, do you want to hand the keys to the government to these folks?” said Rep. Dan Kildee (D-Mich.). “They’re scary. They’re nuts.”

Still, Kildee — who’s running in his first tough reelection in years in a newly redrawn seat — said Democrats can’t ignore issues like the economy and inflation, or even something seemingly mundane like overseas shipping reform. “To the extent [the Republican] side continues to play that whipped-up frenzy, paranoid game, it’s probably not helpful to them.”

Democrats hope that putting Trump and his inner circle top of mind will energize many of their voters who may otherwise have tuned out after a rocky few months for the party. Biden’s approval rating has sagged as Democrats failed to resurrect some of the most popular pieces of their agenda — from universal pre-K to expanding the child tax credit. Even as key parts of the economy improve, such as this week’s jobless report, inflation remains at a 40-year high.

You'd think they'd have ditched the "Don't give them the keys to the car or they'll drive it in a ditch" metaphor that Tim Kaine propagated before the party's record midterm losses of 2010.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Willa Rogers posted:

The Democratic hit parade is rolling out its tried & true again:

You'd think they'd have ditched the "Don't give them the keys to the car or they'll drive it in a ditch" metaphor that Tim Kaine propagated before the party's record midterm losses of 2010.

It sure leads me to believe that a lot of dems have learned absolutely nothing from the Virginia election.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Srice posted:

It sure leads me to believe that a lot of dems have learned absolutely nothing from the Virginia election.

Can't learn if you don't want to.

https://twitter.com/maxberger/status/1510981946473689099

We have two parties tied to capital with different ideologies, and the working people are just along for the ride.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Daily Madison cawthorn update:

https://twitter.com/ronfilipkowski/status/1510926498068406276?s=21&t=Bj0wueBSOj_otpTbeYbLlg

He previously had his drivers license revoked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Wasn't sure if I should even bother posting this, because everyone is basically numb at this point and just accepts it to the point that it is no longer news, but 18 people were shot in a mass shooting in California. 6 confirmed dead so far. Shooters still at large.

This is the second mass shooting in Sacramento in the last month.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1510594230611238921

quote:

At least two shooters opened fire early Sunday in Sacramento in the city’s second mass shooting in five weeks, killing six people and wounding 12 others as bars closed for the night and crowds emptied onto downtown streets, police said.

Three men and three women were killed, Police Chief Kathy Lester said. Their bodies remained on the pavement hours after the gunfire erupted around 2 a.m. Police sought clues from a crime scene that stretched across multiple city blocks as they searched for the shooters.

At least four of the wounded were hospitalized with life-threatening injuries. Authorities have not offered a possible motive and have so far identified only one victim, 38-year-old Sergio Harris, without providing a cause of death.

His sister Kay Harris, 32, told The Associated Press just hours after the shooting that she had been asleep when a family member called to say they thought her brother had been killed. She said she thought Sergio Harris had been at the London nightclub, which is near the shooting.

Pamela Harris, Sergio Harris’ mother, told The Sacramento Bee the family had not heard from him since the shooting.

“We just want to know what happened to him,” she said early Sunday. “Not knowing anything is just hard to face.”

Investigators pored through hundreds of pieces of evidence — much of it documented on the streets with blue and yellow markers — as officials begged the public to come forward with tips and videos that could help find the suspects.

Councilmember Katie Valenzuela, who represents the area, said she’s fielded many phone calls reporting violence in her district during her 15 months in office. She cried at a news conference as she told reporters that the latest phone call woke her up at 2:30 a.m.

“I’m heartbroken and I’m outraged,” she said. “Our community deserves better than this.”

Sunday’s violence was the third time this year in the U.S. that at least six people have been killed in a mass shooting, according to a database compiled by The Associated Press, USA Today and Northeastern University.

President Joe Biden called for action on gun crimes in a statement Sunday.

“Today, America once again mourns for another community devastated by gun violence,” Biden said. “But we must do more than mourn; we must act.”

Sacramento has endured two mass shootings in the last five weeks . On Feb. 28, a father killed his three daughters, a chaperone and himself in a Sacramento church during a weekly supervised visitation. David Mora, 39, was armed with a homemade semiautomatic rifle-style weapon, even though he was under a restraining order that prohibited him from possessing a firearm.

The area where Sunday’s killings occurred is on the outskirts of the city’s main entertainment district and has many bars and restaurants. It’s anchored by the Golden One Center that attracts big-name concerts and is home to the NBA’s Sacramento Kings. City officials have invested heavily in the area to promote development.

Videos on social media showed what appeared to be an altercation before the gunfire in California’s capital city. Sgt. Zach Eaton, a police spokesperson, said investigators don’t know if that fight led to the shooting.

Kelsey Schar was staying on the fourth floor of Citizen Hotel when she said she heard gunshots and saw flashes in the dark. She walked to the window and “saw a guy running and just shooting,” Schar told the AP.

Her friend, Madalyn Woodard, said she saw a crowd in the street scatter amid the gunfire and a girl who appeared to have been shot in the arm lying on the ground. Security guards from a nearby nightclub rushed to help the girl with what looked like napkins to try to stanch the bleeding.

A video posted on Twitter showed people running through the street amid the sounds of rapid gunfire. Nightclubs close at 2 a.m. and it’s typical for streets to be full of people at that hour in the city of about 525,000 people, located 75 miles (120 kilometers) northeast of San Francisco.

Pop duo Aly & AJ performed Saturday at Sacramento’s Crest Theatre and their tour bus was caught in the gunfire, the musicians said on Twitter. No one in their touring group was hurt, the tweet said.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom said in a statement that his administration was working closely with law enforcement officials.

“What we do know at this point is that another mass casualty shooting has occurred, leaving families with lost loved ones, multiple individuals injured and a community in grief,” he said.

Berry Accius, a community activist, said he came to the scene shortly after the shooting happened.

“The first thing I saw was like victims. I saw a young girl with a whole bunch of blood in her body, a girl taking off glass from her, a young girl screaming saying, ‘They killed my sister.’ A mother running up, ‘Where’s my son, has my son been shot?’“ he said.

Mayor Darrell Steinberg said in recent years it “has been a very difficult time in downtown Sacramento,” as the city’s development efforts took a hit from the coronavirus pandemic.

He added that the shooting “gives pause to our entire community,” but he urged people to continue visiting the area.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 4, 2022