Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SirPhoebos posted:

On the topic of 40K (but also sci-fi/fantasy in general) I've always found the the conceit of "these space racist humans aren't prejudice against ethnicities because they're too busy being space racist towards aliens" to be rather dubious (even if totally understandable from a marketing perspective).

That concept (like many things from 40K) originated in the magazine 2000 AD, which was a little less subtle about it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

SirPhoebos posted:

On the topic of 40K (but also sci-fi/fantasy in general) I've always found the the conceit of "these space racist humans aren't prejudice against ethnicities because they're too busy being space racist towards aliens" to be rather dubious (even if totally understandable from a marketing perspective).

mutants and psychics get the short end of the stick as well, with mutation generally affecting the lower classes at an over-representative rate due to exposure to space toxic waste etc. exactly what a mutation is can be quite broad as well.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

SirPhoebos posted:

It's not like 19th century U.S. was too tuckered out from genociding Native Americans and enslaving Africans to not also be hella racist towards Irish, Germans, Italians, Chinese, Jews, Hispanics, etc.

This is a fair point and not untrue, but down this dark path lies the evolution of the screenplay for Bright.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Drakyn posted:

This has all drifted far afield from tabletop gaming politics, but I feel like it's worth noting that 'orc technology working on clap-your-hands-if-you-believe' being dubiously canonical is actually excellent, because it means that the playerbase's thinking that ork technology works because orks believe it works may possibly be true-ish because the playerbase believes it's true.

More topically, Dave Morris appears to have settled down to the occasional snide side-sniping about the whole 'my dead idol who wrote the neo-nazi novel was no nazi and anyone who thinks otherwise is the real nazis' thing, but he HAS posted one undoubtedly political and obviously false statement:

https://twitter.com/RealDaveMorris/status/1509215848984190977?cxt=HHwWgoC9gbH05_EpAAAA

lies

RuneQuest has been brought up in TG as a real good litmus test; anyone who runs it and tries to change or get rid of the ducks is someone you don't want to be at the table with.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Josef bugman posted:

This unfettered arsehole. The ducks are a vital point of levity in what can be a very serious setting, and they are still fun to play as "straight men" to a lot of what is going on. I don't get people who get so hung up on how "silly" ducks are, when compared with elves, dwarves and halflings.
Oh hey, his blog is back online. And my comment never got published. Where's Dave's respect for freedom of speech and differing perspectives, eh?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Xander77 posted:

Oh hey, his blog is back online. And my comment never got published. Where's Dave's respect for freedom of speech and differing perspectives, eh?

No freedom of speech without freedom from speech (that is mean to me).

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Is that the premise of Necromunda?

That and falling from those scaffolds unless your gang was lucky enough to roll that some rope was available at the trading post.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

SlothfulCobra posted:

40k just a different kind of tabletop game.

Although it does make me think of how the Halo books went out of their way to establish Earth as fascist to explain how they had such a developed space military to fight the Covenant with. (but also the fascism of Earth was justified by the anti-earth rebels doing a 9/11). The games didn't have anything about Earth being fascist and were just straightforward space army fights the bad and corrupt aliens until the game series switched developers.

Which is funny, since as time has gone on it's become apparent that Halo's Earth based government is running down a checklist of evil overlord/evil fascist government tropes by the standards of other scifi settings.

What's more, the fascists in control straight up have some evil ideals that take some digging to suss out. Like killing yourself before you present a threat to the government's ruling power (One of the academies mentioned indoctrinates applicants via idolizing a general from ancient Rome that was told to commit suicide by the Emperor after he feared he was growing too powerful) in one of the most obvious hypocritical actions out there.

Then there's the fact that the "hero" of the game is straight up a kidnapped child by the government that was raised to be a super soldier. How did they kidnap him? By replacing him with a flash clone that would die horrifically in front of his parents after enough time had passed that they'd cover their tracks. The parents of these victims only found out later on and it got handwaved away because *plot reasons that say that Master Chief is never gonna unload a magnum into the head of a murderous fascist that isn't an alien*.

Then there's the civil war. Master Chief would straight up be the villain protag or an end game boss if the covenant hadn't showed up. The whole "the rebels are the eeeevvviil ones!" rings pretty hollow if you realize that the rebels were doing unethical poo poo to stay ahead of the even more wildly absurdly evil (Example: Stealing children from the rebelling outer colonies for a literal super soldier project named after a genocidal slave state that regularly murdered their slaves. Or having their CIA equivalent engineer horrifying flesh liquefying viruses.) fascist inner colonies. Which is not inaccurate given the things that many real world rebellions had to do to stay ahead of the ones they're rebelling against. And that includes the US's rebellion against Britain. Go look up how we handled trading with pirates and smugglers for example.

Of course, the whole conflict looks even more shady from a narrative intent bent when you count the issue that the Spartans (Another fashie trope) weren't created to fight dogmatic space aliens. They were straight up created to crush rebellions like the Empire does with super soldier projects in Star Wars. The poo poo with the aliens comes afterwards, and was a complete surprise to the UNSC.

Honestly, in an alternate universe set of games where it's just the rebels versus the earth government it'd probably end up being a plot point that Reach fell when the rebels overtook it due to the UNSC MAC stations being ordered to turn 60-90 degrees towards the planet and glass it, Death Star style.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 1, 2022

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
In case there are still people wondering if M.A.R. Barker was merely pretending to be a nazi, people have been looking through the old Tekumel mailing lists:

https://twitter.com/SpindriftGames/status/1509072726438281219

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Archonex posted:

Which is funny, since as time has gone on it's become apparent that Halo's Earth based government is running down a checklist of evil overlord/evil fascist government tropes by the standards of other scifi settings.

What's more, the fascists in control straight up have some evil ideals that take some digging to suss out. Like killing yourself before you present a threat to the government's ruling power (One of the academies mentioned indoctrinates applicants via idolizing a general from the Rome that was told to commit suicide by the Emperor after he feared he was growing too powerful) in one of the most obvious hypocritical actions out there.

Then there's the fact that the "hero" of the game is straight up a kidnapped child by the government that was raised to be a super soldier. How did they kidnap him? By replacing him with a flash clone that would die horrifically in front of his parents after enough time had passed that they'd cover their tracks. The parents of these victims only found out later on and it got handwaved away because *plot reasons that say that Master Chief is never gonna unload a magnum into the head of a murderous fascist that isn't an alien*.

Then there's the civil war. Master Chief would straight up be the villain protag or an end game boss if the covenant hadn't showed up. The whole "the rebels are the eeeevvviil ones!" rings pretty hollow if you realize that the rebels were doing unethical poo poo to stay ahead of the even more wildly absurdly evil (Example Stealing children from the rebelling outer colonies for a literal super soldier project named after a genocidal slave state that regularly murdered their slaves. Or having their CIA equivalent engineer horrifying flesh liquefying viruses.) fascist inner colonies. Which is not inaccurate given the things that many real world rebellions had to do to stay ahead of the ones they're rebelling against. And that includes the US's rebellion against Britain. Go look up how we handled trading with pirates and smugglers for example.

Of course, the whole conflict looks even more shady from a narrative intent bent when you count the issue that the Spartans (Another fashie trope) weren't created to fight dogmatic space aliens. They were straight up created to crush rebellions like the Empire does with super soldier projects in Star Wars. The poo poo with the aliens comes afterwards, and was a complete surprise to the UNSC.

Honestly, in an alternate universe set of games where it's just the rebels versus the earth government it'd probably end up being a plot point that Reach fell when the rebels overtook it due to the UNSC MAC stations being ordered to turn 60-90 degrees towards the planet and glass it, Death Star style.

Yeah this bugged me to no end: Halo wasn't exactly an uplifting story because it was incredibly hosed up.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SimonChris posted:

In case there are still people wondering if M.A.R. Barker was merely pretending to be a nazi, people have been looking through the old Tekumel mailing lists:

Aside from the scare quotes around the Holocaust, and the obvious difference between an event from two thousand years ago and an event which still has survivors walking around, moreso when this was written, this clown has either never talked to an even slightly traditional Jew, not to mention any Jew who grew up in Israel - Tisha Be'av, Massadah, "If I forget you, oh Jerusalem, may I forget my right hand, may my tongue stick to my palate" when you get married, etc - or he did talk to them and just ignored them.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah this bugged me to no end: Halo wasn't exactly an uplifting story because it was incredibly hosed up.

I don't think it ever really tried to be and the people who thought it was don't pay attention to whats actually happening. This happens with like every media.

Things like the Covenant consistently losing the ground war only to shrug and just glass the planet, or Cortanas rampancy, or a bunch of other poo poo.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Telsa Cola posted:

I don't think it ever really tried to be and the people who thought it was don't pay attention to whats actually happening. This happens with like every media.

Things like the Covenant consistently losing the ground war only to shrug and just glass the planet, or Cortanas rampancy, or a bunch of other poo poo.

It wasn't really made clear that the UNSC are also the bad guys and the closest thing to good guys in the setting were used as cannon fodder/meat shields off screen in the games until the novels came out later and revealed that the whole abducting children for experimentation to make WH40K space marine knockoffs was not the exception to the rule and the UNSC was in fact an authoritarian militarist state that treated it's rank and file like cannon fodder and indulged in the torture of civilians to the point of inducing insanity if they bucked the trend of letting the government cover up atrocities.

So yeah, people can be forgiven for not noticing the whole "Oh yeah, the UNSC are fashie assholes who slaughtered the rebels/left them to die to slow down the Covenant despite claiming they were going to be a part of the UNSC no matter what" issue given that the average exposure to the UNSC in the games for the longest time can be boiled down to "responsible commander man who dies tragically doing his duty", "cowboy marine who is probably going to die stupidly due to his AI after saying some funny/meme one liners", and the rare "rear end in a top hat commander man who the Master Chief intimidates into standing down after he gets in his way; since no one in their right mind is going to pick a fight with a walking force field protected tank that is also a super soldier without the armor".

This makes Halo 5 even more infuriating, since we could have had the start of a Marathon-esque duo of a Durandal-eque Cortana and MC teaming up to fend off the UNSC and the Didact while hooking up with the rebellion's last survivors. Instead, we got the world's worst set of contrived plot twists that ended up causing it to flop.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 1, 2022

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

My point was that even in the absence of all the facist stuff the Halo universe is still incredibly dark based on what's presented in the games and isn't really an uplifting story.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Guys you don't need to keep this debate up for my sake, I've already watched the first episode of the TV series and found that it's just not for me.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

And yet endless war is the premise of the game about endless battles for which you should buy and paint miniatures/run various RPG campaigns.

quote:

This is my argument against people that hate the ending of Red Dead Redemption. Spoilers if you haven't played it...John Marston, the main character, gets a thousand bullet holes in him because the feds turn on him. You are placed in the Kobayashi Maru scenario and you can't do anything but watch the guy you've played as for hours upon hours get butchered.

Then you wake up through the eyes of his now-grown-up son Jack. Your sole purpose for playing story missions as Jack is to Hunt Down the people that killed your father and get payback.

I very much hold to the fact that this is tragic. John spends the entire game trying to save his son from just this fate, and despite all the work he does and all the effort put in, Jack becomes an outlaw and a murderous gunfighter just like his father feared. Something about when I gunned down the retired fed and saw the word REDEMPTION fill the screen, it felt empty.

Now, the reason why I hold that it's *tragic* is that the player straight up chooses to do this. Jack is unaware of John's intentions, but the player has just spent a dozen hours in the eyes of a man trying to save his son. The player then chooses to pursue the path of revenge, the player gets several chances to veer off and explore the open world, but is compelled the FINISH THE STORY. Well the story ends with murdering someone in a gunfight in the name of cold-hearted revenge. Congrats, human player, you undid everything you worked for.

People refute that the game doesn't give you a choice. It does. Stop playing. No one is making you go on the story quests. Sure, there are cut scenes to watch and voice acting to hear, and we're driven by the curiosity of what comes next. But we still have a choice. And our choice leads us to committing to everything we spent the entire game trying to prevent.

I might really like that game, if you can't tell.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I keep forgetting to replay Marathon now that it's free and I have a Mac again.

Edit: I would agree that there's an element of moral responsibility in storytelling, but playing through different paths in a video game doesn't make you a storyteller in that sense. It's categorically different from tabletop RPGs.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 1, 2022

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's difficult to take the Halo backstory completely seriously because until the Reach game it felt like the story barely existed in-game, and it now exists as a pastiche of other dystopian militaristic sci fi settings, while the games have become Star Trek III: The Search for Waifu.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I feel like a lot of the Halo backstory is the result of the game originally being an RTS in the earliest stages of development, coupled with the fact that the first set of Halo novels were rushed out the door without much input from the developers. Basically I think the initial worldbuilding for the Halo setting was done in the mold of 40K or especially Starcraft where, because it was originally intended that players were going to be able to choose from several of the setting's factions to control, they made all of the factions at least somewhat villainous to keep from having a single, designated "bad guy" faction. Then the game shifted focus into being an FPS as opposed to an RTS so the developers kind of downplayed or glossed over the more morally dubious aspects of the UNSC as it would kind of muddle the story that they ended up telling. Then, once the game becomes a hit, the company rushes out some expanded universe tie-in novels and the only major setting details the freelance writer they hire has to go off of besides the game are the development notes on the setting.

And that's how you end up with a game where you're fighting for a fascist dictatorship but don't realize it unless you take a deep dive into the expanded universe.

In all honesty I feel like it's really difficult to get players to recognize satirical conceits within a game of any sort if the game's story does not at some point call on them to oppose the faction representative of the ideals being satirized. It's one thing to say that the UNSC or Space Marines are meant to be a satire of the fascist or authoritarian ideologies they represent, that satire is going to go over a lot of players' heads if the game only ever expects them to play in support of that faction.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Aside from the scare quotes around the Holocaust, and the obvious difference between an event from two thousand years ago and an event which still has survivors walking around, moreso when this was written, this clown has either never talked to an even slightly traditional Jew, not to mention any Jew who grew up in Israel - Tisha Be'av, Massadah, "If I forget you, oh Jerusalem, may I forget my right hand, may my tongue stick to my palate" when you get married, etc - or he did talk to them and just ignored them.

Heck, I like how selective Barker has to be about which timeframe he references to make his argument work, because I'm not an expert on Judaism, but I feel like there are a few historical massacres that predate 70 AC that have some cultural significance to the religion...

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I never finished RDR, my impression was that John getting killed by the feds is the end of the main story, and playing as Jack is there so you can complete the rest of the open world stuff. Is that not the case?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Ah the Spec Ops: The Line approach to video games.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

citybeatnik posted:

Ah the Spec Ops: The Line approach to video games.

"If you didn't want to do the bad thing, then you shouldn't have played. :smug:"

"Alright, can I have my money back?"

"No."

Archonex
May 2, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

I never finished RDR, my impression was that John getting killed by the feds is the end of the main story, and playing as Jack is there so you can complete the rest of the open world stuff. Is that not the case?

It's not, actually.

I think there's the implication that maybe there is a better future for Jack depending on the choices you make? But if you go all the way then yeah, he blows away the last of the feds that betrayed and murdered his father (he doesn't even fight back. He's basically smug and pretty much knowingly hypocritical about the thing, from what I kind of recall.) after forcing John to do their dirty work for them.

If you go the route of revenge then there's a heavy implication that he's going to follow in his father's footsteps to the same tragic effect, only with more bitterness and hatred towards his fellow Americans since...Y'know, the government literally betrayed and railroaded his father into a grave while he was possibly (depending on how you played, and if you met the creepy stranger who might be the devil. There's some neat implications I remember reading about that rare encounter.) legitimately trying to make amends for the awful poo poo he got up too in his youth.

Basically, if you let the smug bastard that was working for the FBI/marshals/whatever live then it's implied that Jack moves on with this life, probably becomes an author, and gets his "happy" ending at the cost of letting a legitimately awful person live and get away scot free with his own crimes. All while he gets a free pass on condemning the possibly reformed criminal he murdered in cold blood to cover his own rear end. You could argue that said awful person didn't get the justice he deserved to have coming to him simply because he was protected by a greater amount of power and prestige than Jack will ever have. Which is a hosed up ending all by itself, really.

If however you give into revenge you pretty much completely kill all of the awful bastards involved in John's murder, close that dark chapter of the Marston's life for good, and Jack maybe either just ends the trouble there and goes home to be a better man than his father*...Or becomes just as much of a rampaging criminal bastard as his father was in his youth. Only more angry and bitter for reasons already mentioned.

It's a neat ending and definitely in the vein of this thread's topic as the whole thing touches on the justice or lack thereof in retributive murder. Along with what the overall worth of a concept like justice even is when it's delivered and enforced by people who have no interest in being held to it's standards themselves. Which is a topic I imagine many people can empathize with today, even if it was never explicitly spelled out as the dilemma it is within the story.

As for it being weird politics: "Actually, kill your oppressor's and those who have wronged you. No seriously, put a bullet in their head while they think they're safe from consequences for the things they themselves admit to doing." is...Uh, something that I feel like most people are probably going to disagree with in a polite society. Never mind a form of implicit politics that's pretty damned far off into the extreme. So i'm not too worried about talking about the ending here in depth as a sort of headliner to the whole thing, since it needs some clarification. Though I may have misremembered some details.

*I remember reading on TVTropes or some place many years ago that depending on some of the choices it's possible that Jack just gets the anger out of his system over how he and his family were wronged and goes home to be a better person than his father was after the game is over for good. It has something to do with a few rare encounters John has if he's playing on the good side of the karma meter, though. So not everyone gets that possibility in their play through.

Edit/Comedy Option: Alternatively, John comes back as a zombie and poo poo gets wild. :v: Still disappointed we didn't get an Undead Nightmare 2 expansion for RDR2.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 2, 2022

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

"If you didn't want to do the bad thing, then you shouldn't have played. :smug:"

"Alright, can I have my money back?"

"No."

I somewhat get what you are going for but this reeks of the people who sit through an entire movie and then come out and complain they didn't like it and it was too violent or whatever and request a refund.

No you do not get a refund for the media you just consumed in its entirety.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SimonChris posted:

Did this clown even know a single damned thing about Jewish people or did he somehow have less knowledge of them that I have of the Chukchi?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

SimonChris posted:

When I think of a culture completely uninterested in the past, it’s definitely the Jews.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Did this clown even know a single damned thing about Jewish people or did he somehow have less knowledge of them that I have of the Chukchi?

Do you really have to ask that question when it comes to nazis?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Telsa Cola posted:

I somewhat get what you are going for but this reeks of the people who sit through an entire movie and then come out and complain they didn't like it and it was too violent or whatever and request a refund.

No you do not get a refund for the media you just consumed in its entirety.

And in the case of RDR and other open world games, you can continue to play without engaging with the story arc. That's kind of the conceit of open world games, especially when you consider that the mechanical point of their stories is to give you a tour of the open world they built for you to explore.

Archonex posted:

It's not, actually.

It's both a way to let you continue side missions and open world content and a continuation of the main story.

If I remember correctly, the tragedy of the last revenge mission isn't that the guy stands there and lets you shoot him--I remember that being another quickdraw--it's that he turns out to have the same desire as John: to leave behind his life of bloodshed and settle somewhere quiet with his family. So by hunting him down and killing him for killing John, you're making (and making Jack make) the same decision he did. To hammer that point home even further, you find him through his wife, using his family against him as he used Abigail and Jack against John.

E: To be clear, I'm only addressing the characterization of that last dude there. I agree with you otherwise about the ending.

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 2, 2022

Archonex
May 2, 2012

PeterWeller posted:

And in the case of RDR and other open world games, you can continue to play without engaging with the story arc. That's kind of the conceit of open world games, especially when you consider that the mechanical point of their stories is to give you a tour of the open world they built for you to explore.

It's both a way to let you continue side missions and open world content and a continuation of the main story.

If I remember correctly, the tragedy of the last revenge mission isn't that the guy stands there and lets you shoot him--I remember that being another quickdraw--it's that he turns out to have the same desire as John: to leave behind his life of bloodshed and settle somewhere quiet with his family. So by hunting him down and killing him for killing John, you're making (and making Jack make) the same decision he did. To hammer that point home even further, you find him through his wife, using his family against him as he used Abigail and Jack against John.

E: To be clear, I'm only addressing the characterization of that last dude there. I agree with you otherwise about the ending.

Agreed on that. Only thing that i'll add onto all of this is that the ending being interpreted as a clean cycle of revenge followed by a ruined life is somewhat undermined by the intimate details of the repeating cycle.

The marshal/FBI guy made it a point to hunt down John and threaten his family despite (and I may be misremembering this) having not been personally harmed by all of John's antics in his youth. Meanwhile, Jack has a legitimate grievance against the marshal/FBI/whatever dude since he made it a point to threaten his family members if John didn't comply, used his father as a proxy for the crimes the government dude made John go on to do to get the rest of the gang, and then betrayed and murdered John at the end to effectively cover his own rear end all while calling himself righteous.

So in that context it's possible to look at it as a real grade A bastard who was protected by the law got what was coming to him, assuming a good karma/honor/whatever run. Since he literally went out of his way to make all this poo poo his problem and then wanted to just walk away with no consequences when the son of the man he betrayed and murdered came knocking looking to get pay back for what he did.

Which goes back to why it's probably unconventional politics fitting enough for the thread. Though I don't know if everyone will agree. :shrug:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 2, 2022

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

I would agree that there's an element of moral responsibility in storytelling, but playing through different paths in a video game doesn't make you a storyteller in that sense. It's categorically different from tabletop RPGs.

I agree with your broader point, but there's also definitely a Mother Night "we are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be" type perspective as well.

Like, take Dogs in the Vineyard: in this setting, the players are not-Mormon Cowboys who are tasked with resolving problems throughout the not-Wild West, using conversations, guns, and magic powers, and their words are those literally of God and their interpretations are literally correct and divinely inspired. The games notes explicitly that the setting is quite conservative (for example, women keeping their arms covered down to the wrist, unless they're baking or washing or something and would get their sleeves dirty), and filled with all manner of nasty things like homophobia and patriarchy, which, you, the player are tasked with interpreting and enforcing in all of it's contradictory ways. Pride, enacted, creates Injustice which leads to Sin, allowing Demonic Attacks which lead to False Doctrine, manifest as Corrupt Worship which grows into False Priesthood, a Sorcerous cult which leads to Hate and Murder and the destruction of both the social order and functional status quo.

quote:

Remember how, at the end of character creation, you went “mmhmm” like the good doctor? Here’s where you angle the game to hit those issues. In the town just past, what were the characters about? What positions did they take? Which sinners did they judge harshly, and which did they show mercy? What did they say, I mean really say, about themselves and others?

Your goal in the next town is to take the characters’ judgments and push them a little bit further. Say that in this past town, one of the characters came down clearly on the side of “every sinner deserves another chance.” In the next town, you’ll want to reply with “even this one? Even this sinner?” Or say that another character demonstrated the position that “love is worth breaking the rules for.” You can reply with “is this love worth breaking the rules for too? Is love worth breaking this rule for?”

But Dogs isn’t abstract or academic! This love, this sinner, this law— those are real people, real characters I mean, in real concrete situations. Create the people and the situations, don’t pose the question in some sort of theoretical way.

Most importantly, don’t have an answer already in mind. GMing Dogs is a different thing from playing it. Your job as the GM is to present an interesting social situation and provoke the players into judging it. You don’t want to hobble their judgments by arguing with them about what’s right and wrong, nor by creating situations where right and wrong are obvious. You want to hear your players’ opinions, not to present your own.

It's a difficult game to run well, given the amount of buy-in needed from the players and GM to explore some rather heavy moral issues. This is a setting where thinking you should be married to your friend's wife because you'd do a better job as husband can lead to literal demonic attacks on your town. You're playing in an expressly homophobic and patriarchal world, where the PCs are expected to enforce this status quo, but also have divine authority on their side to interpret doctrine. It's a game one plays to have uncomfortable moral discussions about ethical and religious issues and tell heavy stories where bad things happen because of how the dice mechanics escalates conflicts.

Given what Baker said in one interview about it,

quote:

I grew up Mormon. My main inspiration was the body of family stories and history that came down to me, and my own research into the religion’s history. My goal was to create a game that took my Mormon ancestors and their lives and faith seriously, while also taking seriously my own experience leaving the faith.

it makes sense that the tension between "God and society says do this" while "But I know this is actually right" is at the forefront of the game's moral discussions.

But it would also be simple to alter the morals of the world and simply accommodate same sex relationships or whatever. Certain issues don't have to be explored, and it's a game where one ought to clear up what topics should and should not get brought up in game. Just as you can have an arachnophobic player and thus choose not include Shelob the Primordial Spider as a BBEG at the end of the dungeon, one can easily say "Yeah, I want this game to be about greed, murder, and adultery, not homophobia" and it'll run just fine. The point is to have an enforced status quo and for the players to deal with deviations from that status quo and their implications. Folks have done hacks set in Judge Dredd's Mega City One and with Jedi in the Star Wars universe, for example.

Baker himself has said more recently of the game:

quote:

Basically, Westerns can go to hell, Utah history can go to hell, and unless i extricate Dogs in the Vineyard, it can go to hell too.

I have half a plan for a new edition and half a plan for a sequel. I think the sequel's more likely at this point, but neither are underway.

-Vincent

Because, understandably, Baker in 2018 is not the Baker of 2004, and a game about divinely inspired settlers solving moral conflicts in the territory they've conquered through the Power of God, which doesn't also interrogate the background assumptions of the Western genre, settlement by colonists, the treatment of displaced Native Americans, etc. is a pretty huge oversight, and also rather difficult to write a game about.

He's let the game go out of print, and hasn't spoken much about it in the four years since, so it seems unlikely that this sequel will actually happen. However, a full authorized by Baker, setting agnostic clone of the game mechanics, DOGS, is available: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/274623/Dogs

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 2, 2022

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Archonex posted:

The marshal/FBI guy made it a point to hunt down John and threaten his family despite (and I may be misremembering this) having not been personally harmed by all of John's antics in his youth. Meanwhile, Jack has a legitimate grievance against the marshal/FBI/whatever dude

I kinda disagree here. Ross--I think the dude's name is Ross, gonna call him that for convenience--is not personally harmed by John's criminal past (unless something happens to him in RDR2 that I forget) but he does have a personal motivation that is arguably just as justifiable as Jack's motive: Ross believes in the rule of the state and its laws. He believes outlaws like John and the rest of the Van der Linde gang's killers are his ideological and existential foes, so he has them killed without remorse. But as ruthlessly as he pursues that goal, he does also restrain himself from going beyond it. Note that while he holds Abigail and Jack to coerce John, he never harms them and doesn't appear to have intended to ever harm them. He could pursue them when they flee Beecher's Hope, but he lets them go. John and Jack are men of the fleeting and perhaps never more than mythical wild west while Ross is a man of the modern era.

You can easily argue that John doesn't deserve to just walk away and live a peaceful life. Even if you always choose the honorable options, John will still kill hundreds of people over the course of the game, nevermind his life of crime prior to RDR1.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

PeterWeller posted:

I kinda disagree here. Ross--I think the dude's name is Ross, gonna call him that for convenience--is not personally harmed by John's criminal past (unless something happens to him in RDR2 that I forget) but he does have a personal motivation that is arguably just as justifiable as Jack's motive: Ross believes in the rule of the state and its laws. He believes outlaws like John and the rest of the Van der Linde gang's killers are his ideological and existential foes, so he has them killed without remorse. But as ruthlessly as he pursues that goal, he does also restrain himself from going beyond it. Note that while he holds Abigail and Jack to coerce John, he never harms them and doesn't appear to have intended to ever harm them. He could pursue them when they flee Beecher's Hope, but he lets them go. John and Jack are men of the fleeting and perhaps never more than mythical wild west while Ross is a man of the modern era.

You can easily argue that John doesn't deserve to just walk away and live a peaceful life. Even if you always choose the honorable options, John will still kill hundreds of people over the course of the game, nevermind his life of crime prior to RDR1.

I gotta disagree with this, personally. Though I can see why you'd say that and it's certainly a valid take.

My thoughts regarding your post are that this goes back to another part of my argument ---- namely that Ross is a hypocrite just like John. In some ways more so than John, since I don't think John ever justifies what he does by saying it's the right and moral thing to do.

This is subtly foreshadowed with the way he handles the gang (Murder without trial. And it's a pretty hefty crime too since Ross is technically orchestrating assassinations (one across the border in Mexico, if I recall) through planning out cold blooded assassinations with John as the proxy on the hot end of things.) throughout the game only to be made apparent that he's just as much of a ruthless killer and scumbag as John is when he betrays John by setting him up to be executed by a firing squad without having the jurisdiction, power, or right to do that. And keep in mind that depending on how you play John is cooperating with him, and possibly even trying to be decent.

TL;DR: A self righteous cold blooded murderer and criminal is still a murderer and criminal, even if he's got a badge on his vest. And Ross fits that bill to a T.

They're alike, save for the fact that Ross made it his problem to go after John on behalf of the state while not representing the state's laws and obligations to others. Whereas John did some really bad things and then tried to go straight later on in life and then got dragged back into it because some federal agent had a bone to pick with a nebulous idea of criminals that was two-faced at best. I recall one cutscene where John even subtly needles him on his delusions outside of the city, in fact.

Complicating this further is the fact that (open world antics aside) the body count really starts to rack up once Ross enters the picture and forces John to go apeshit on his former allies. Outside of the usual goofy GTA-esque poo poo John wasn't primed to go on a multi-national rampage until Ross enters the picture and starts threatening his family.

Basically, the whole thing comes off as an overreach of police and judicial authority to me. Which is somewhat in line with the times, to be fair.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 3, 2022

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Oh I don't think we actually disagree that much. I'm not trying to justify Ross's actions. I'm just saying he has his own twisted justification for them just as Jack does. Ross acts as a shadow of both John and Jack. Like John, he thought he could retire peacefully after a life of bloodshed. Like Jack, he has an ideological justification for murder. RDR is unsympathetic to the institutions and their agents bringing order to its wild west, but it's equally unsympathetic towards the charlatans and criminals who would keep it wild.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

In RDR you actually have the option to capture Javier Escuella alive. Bill Williamson will get shot whether or not John pulls the trigger, and Dutch falls of the cliff. To John's perspective it could've seemed legit, but the government men don't seem like they'll be too worried about providing a fair trial. The game ends with them sending waves of men to charge you at the ranch shooting to kill, not asking for any kind of surrender. There's no legality to the whole thing.

The game makes pretty light of causing chaos in Mexico, which honestly John Marston as one totally unofficial agent could probably go entirely unnoticed at the time because during the game's timeframe the Mexican Revolution was happening, which had a lot of complicated twists and turns and later down the line led to the US marines invading Mexico, Pancho Villa leading his revolutionaries to attack the US, and the US army invading to find Pancho Villa.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

The entire Mexico section of the game is pretty hosed up in general. The only decent man you meet down there is the old white dude who's a former outlaw gunslinger. Everyone else is some type of sexual predator. The leader of the revolution is as corrupt and greedy as the men he's fighting against. Even the little things you can try to do to make life a little better are quickly undermined, like that pimp is going to kill the prostitute even if you save her and sequester her away at the church.

TBF, this is Rockstar we're talking about, and all their games are incredibly cynical. Even RDR2's genuinely beautiful story of redemption is very cynical. Arthur and John will die no matter what.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The problem is that D&D races are inextricably linked with real-world peoples, nothing just popped up with no real-world analogue. A dwarf or an orc is not an alien with no recognizable attachment to how cultures and races are treated in the real world. Everything is derived from Tolkien, so for example a dwarf is at core a Jew. Tolkien struggled with whether orcs were truly irredeemable and what that would mean to the overall message of the story if they were.

That kind of nuance is largely lost on D&D and its successors.

1) If you say orcs are demons birthed from muck by the will of an evil god, and not actually people

2) but then turn around and say you can be one wouldn't that be fun

3) and then don't really do any homework on what the existence of an evil god means

...You're arriving at a strange intersection between good harmless fun and games about race wars of extermination.

This is what WoW has become about, obvious real world analogue races engaged in non-stop race war, united only briefly by missions to assassinate god.

Does it matter? These are all just games, right? It's exasperating when everything is political. The stakes and consequences in the moment are low. But as a lens to view stuff in the real world and learn more about it, many of these games are really poor and immature, sometimes with heinous messaging. We also discover that this is not always an accident when we look into who is responsible and their politics.

I know this conversation is from a couple pages back, but I'm gonna ask cause it seems you folks might be able to help me.

In the past week or so, I came across an article, on Facebook maybe? It had a quote from the head of some gaming organization saying that most people aren't really capable of completely divorcing fantasy from reality or something to that effect, and that has a huge effect on how we play games like D&D.

Anyway, Facebook loves to reload things so I wasn't able to read more than a couple sentences before I lost it. Does anyone have any idea of, or better yet read the article I'm talking about? I know it exists. This seems like a semi-appropriate place to ask. Thanks!

That looks like Cardinal Syn.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

PeterWeller posted:

The entire Mexico section of the game is pretty hosed up in general. The only decent man you meet down there is the old white dude who's a former outlaw gunslinger. Everyone else is some type of sexual predator. The leader of the revolution is as corrupt and greedy as the men he's fighting against. Even the little things you can try to do to make life a little better are quickly undermined, like that pimp is going to kill the prostitute even if you save her and sequester her away at the church.

TBF, this is Rockstar we're talking about, and all their games are incredibly cynical. Even RDR2's genuinely beautiful story of redemption is very cynical. Arthur and John will die no matter what.

The last Rockstar game I played was GTAIV. Before that...Vice City Stories.

Holy poo poo you're right. There is never a happy ending for any of the less awful, more serious protagonists.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

NikkolasKing posted:

The last Rockstar game I played was GTAIV. Before that...Vice City Stories.

Holy poo poo you're right. There is never a happy ending for any of the less awful, more serious protagonists.

I don't think I ever finished VCS (Though I recall the protagonist is someone who dies at the start of Vice City), but I remember the dark streak of the GTA4 ending where whoever's advice you listen to at the end is the one that ends up dying due to the consequences of your actions.

It's really interesting how much Saints Row 2 and on picked right up from the GTA3/VC/SA approach where the world is a cynical cartoon show but your personal story has a lot of focus on coming out on top and going on criming with your awful buddies, even if SA has some of where the more serious Rockstar takes go later.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Given GTA very heavily borrows from crime fiction, (in the same way their protagonists 'borrow' people's cars) it's not surprising that they tend to have bittersweet at best endings full of betrayal, bloodshed, their protagonists' actions coming back to haunt them, and/or famous last stands. And I mean, thematically, a GTA protagonist 'winning' is only really satisfying if they're the kind of comical sociopath like Tommy Vercetti (and surviving characters usually end up being losers in future entries) while the ones trying to be 'sensible' usually find themselves ending with an ironic tragedy of all their efforts coming to naught.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Killer robot posted:

I don't think I ever finished VCS (Though I recall the protagonist is someone who dies at the start of Vice City), but I remember the dark streak of the GTA4 ending where whoever's advice you listen to at the end is the one that ends up dying due to the consequences of your actions.

It's really interesting how much Saints Row 2 and on picked right up from the GTA3/VC/SA approach where the world is a cynical cartoon show but your personal story has a lot of focus on coming out on top and going on criming with your awful buddies, even if SA has some of where the more serious Rockstar takes go later.

Vic has a girl he rescues from an abusive husband in VCS and she's brutally tortured and dies in the end. You spend much of the game trying to keep your gently caress up brother Lance alive and, well, you'll remember how that ends in VC. Vic himself in the beginning was just a normal soldier, trying to live a straight arrow life, but was framed by his CO. The CO who ends up killing his girl and you kill in the end.

I liked GTAIV and Niko a lot. The real ending of that game for me is when you finally confront the person who betrayed Niko and his squad and got most of them killed. You can choose not to pursue vengeance. The man who betrayed Niko has become a broken down drunk due to his guilt, suffering for worse for what he did than anything Niko can do. But, after this amazing moment of growth, you lose one of the people you deeply love.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Given GTA very heavily borrows from crime fiction, (in the same way their protagonists 'borrow' people's cars) it's not surprising that they tend to have bittersweet at best endings full of betrayal, bloodshed, their protagonists' actions coming back to haunt them, and/or famous last stands. And I mean, thematically, a GTA protagonist 'winning' is only really satisfying if they're the kind of comical sociopath like Tommy Vercetti (and surviving characters usually end up being losers in future entries) while the ones trying to be 'sensible' usually find themselves ending with an ironic tragedy of all their efforts coming to naught.

In this way, they ae all far more "true" to the spirit of Scarface than Vice City. The protagonists range all over the place in terms of their culpability but the end is always the same. Mafia (the original, don't know anything about the remake) was ahead of GTA in hammering home this idea. It helpfully did it in a very un-subtle Kojima way, having the protagonist Tommy monologue about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kQgsJyJC2M&t=535s

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 6, 2022