Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

that's very clearly a light novel title, op

it's not 3 paragraphs so i doubt that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Watched BELLE last night and was loving dying at how part of how they save the day is doing that exact cyberstalking poo poo the gangster bear did in ODDTAXI

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lmao at plutonis’ post

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Namtab posted:

Lmao at plutonis’ post

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Orange crush momma is a laugh laugh laugh.

Hey quick question I'm not a huge anime fan but I liked Berserk and wanted to find a definitive blu ray collection for the 1996(?) series I remember watching years ago. What would you all recommend? English dubbed preferred.

I saw that there is a Berserk series on HBOMax for streaming but I did not like the 2d/CGI whatever art style that was so I would wish to avoid that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If you're in America, you're SOL since it doesn't look like the 97 anime has been released on BD in Region 2. There does seem to be a European release on Amazon.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Namtab posted:

Lmao at plutonis’ post

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

If you're in America, you're SOL since it doesn't look like the 97 anime has been released on BD in Region 2. There does seem to be a European release on Amazon.
Who the gently caress doesn't have a region free dvd+bluray player nowadays?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i feel like you can follow that with a who the gently caress has a dedicated disc player nowadays

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Who the gently caress doesn't have a region free dvd+bluray player nowadays?

I still use a ps3

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

dogsicle posted:

i feel like you can follow that with a who the gently caress has a dedicated disc player nowadays
I get why you wouldn't buy one today, but most people don't have a habit of throwing out things they own, do they?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I recommend piracy

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I get why you wouldn't buy one today, but most people don't have a habit of throwing out things they own, do they?

i think having one to begin with is still uncommon enough

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Namtab posted:

Lmao at plutonis’ post

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I have no more video consoles save for my Switch, also disk players in PCs are pretty uncommon now as far as I know, and so I got a region free BR player about a year or two ago.

I imagine if you buy one online like I did they're very likely to be Region Free but maybe not if you pick one up at your local Walmart or Best Buy or something. People do still go outside to shop, the Neanderthals.

But on a more serious note, I have to wonder if Funimation makes or loses money by streaming. Like, why would I ever buy a MHA BR set when I can just watch the whole series online over and over? Only this applies to pretty much everything they still own the rights to. If MHA Season 1 is like $30, and so is a Fairy Tail set, that's $60 for two anime and only two small parts of the anime. Or I can watch all of MHA and FT and everything else for $8.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 4, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Probably not. Physical media in anime seems to be mostly a collector's market nowadays anyway.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

where's my oddtaxi blurays

marumaru
May 20, 2013

id be more compelled to buy anime BDs (and a BD player lol) if there was a technical reason to do so.
BD movies usually have extremely high bitrate in 4K HDR, while streaming has the lowest passable bitrate they can get away with.
anime is just 1080p with very little detail so compression algorithms don't mangle them as much
there's just not much of a reason to buy anime BDs outside of building a collection

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

both h264 and h265 have presets that are optimized for animation too, just in case large swaths of color didn't compress well enough - which they do

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i want certain things on bluray on the off chance they become not easily available thru streaming in the future for whatever reason

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

mycophobia posted:

i want certain things on bluray on the off chance they become not easily available thru streaming in the future for whatever reason

Same. I don't trust companies to keep these out there perpetually. I won't buy everything, but anything over an 8/10 I make sure to buy and the galling nature of certain companies to lock titles I like down as streaming exclusives with no hard copy worries me.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

mycophobia posted:

yup. same reason i buy paperbacks of stuff i really dig. that stream aint forever

copy
Jul 26, 2007

me to my dorohedoro books after the licensing armageddon has deleted all digital editions: it is up to you now to rebuild

marumaru
May 20, 2013

the problem for most people is that there's cheaper and arguably more convenient ways of having a hard copy for the apocalypse.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

mycophobia posted:

This is my eternal fear about Steam, Kindle, basically every online service.

Nothing lasts forever, where will all my books and games and anime go if something happens to any of these sites?

poo poo maybe I should get back to collecting anime.... But man, when you like long runners, it gets really pricy real fast

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 4, 2022

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I recommend piracy

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

cheetah7071 posted:

I recommend piracy

Won't pretend I'm above it when there's no other choice, but I'm old enough that I still feel a sense of "someone did the work to bring it over, translate it, and release the sucker, I'll pay for that effort" given how rare it once was (is becoming again?)

copy
Jul 26, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

I recommend piracy

this is also an excellent method

marumaru posted:

the problem for most people is that there's cheaper and arguably more convenient ways of having a hard copy for the apocalypse.

yeah ive done this for exactly one series and it is non-loving-trivially expensive. prob just do the M:tG equivalent of proxy deck if i feel the urge to do something like this again.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plutonis posted:

Mod edit: NSFW, added tags

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I buy blu-rays because I don’t have to worry about internet issues, and I’ve found that they’re usually better about small things like subtitles. When multiple people speak the subtitles can sometimes get confusing or misplaced and when the BR comes out all those small issues have been fixed. You’ll sometimes see it as well where animation fixes have been done for a show for a BR release that the streaming version never updates to. When I run on my treadmill it’s way easier to pop in a disc and hit a button on a remote then deal with a controller or streaming service as well.

Physical media still has its place. I will never stop buying physical media because I prefer to have something I have access to. I like looking at my collection deciding what I want to watch and I don’t get the same curiosity browsing a digital name list. They make the product try to stand out. Digital only is fine if that’s what you want, but I think going “ah yes. I await the death of physical media” is a real bad thing because it’s just putting more power in corporations hands and that is not good.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

that guy should have talked to his brother

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
physical media is not the be-all end-all of preservation either, and has significant issues that are inherently unsolvable. for example, being physical it has a finite lifespan. people who think a bookcase of discs means they are the vanguard of media preservation are gonna start getting real upset in the next few years when all their ps1 discs start failing en masse (since they have a lifespan of ~25-30 years before natural and unavoidable chemical processes render the optical layer unreadable). the solution is to support digital methods outside corporate purview, in any way possible and in any arena possible. holing up in your house with bits of plastic and metal that are subject to physical decay does not actually solve that problem in a real way.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

a proper raid nas will probably do you more good for archival purposes than a bluray.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
yeah, what's important isn't whether it's physical or digital, it's whether you have it stored locally or get it through a streaming service

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Just remember that RAID is not a backup solution

Especially if you're a clown who goes RAID 0 with WD Greens or something

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
also electronic media formats are constantly changing and needing to be updated, a problem which is much worse with physical media. If .avi files becomes unplayable on future computers for some reason, archive.org or whoever can run software to mass-convert their files into a usable format. If you have obsolete physical media it's first a pain in the rear end and eventually nearly impossible to recover it. Think of what it'd be like to have an extensive library of VHS tapes.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Stairmaster posted:

that guy should have talked to his brother

:agreed:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Namtab posted: