Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

dodgeblan posted:

-oh yeah and sometimes the tree drops it's magic pollen on you which I assume feels like a massive dose of a cosmic hallucinogen

It seemed like this had some sort of positive effect in game but I never worked out what it was

Enemies drop more runes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raccoonboy
May 31, 2011

dodgeblan posted:

-oh yeah and sometimes the tree drops it's magic pollen on you which I assume feels like a massive dose of a cosmic hallucinogen

It seemed like this had some sort of positive effect in game but I never worked out what it was

bonus runes from enemies

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hah, I just found this out by accident earlier today. I thought I'd use the spell on him for fun just because its use is so limited in PvE and I figured he would be one of the few vulnerable enemies (since it's basically a fancied up PvP NPC) and did not realize it was going to just straight up skip the entire boss fight.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
I only found out about the different eye effects the day after I finished

I started using open face helmets towards the end and was like 'hmmm... my characters eyes are way edgier than I remember making them.'

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

loving lol i'm so disappointed i don't have the faith to use this

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Extremely sick hell yeah

Gonna do this on my Frenzied Flame playthrough

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah that clip just sold me on trying a madness build

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Sapozhnik posted:

I kinda want to try Dark Souls 1.0, like, the version that shipped on the physical DVD, in a PS3 emulator at some point because the meta and balance and such was pretty crazy on release apparently

Like that video about Iron Flesh being completely OP for instance

It wasn't until several patches in to the PC release that they made the mosquitoes in Blighttown not spawn infinitely :gonk:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

HAVE YOU EVER READ GEORGE RR MARTIN’S
A SONG
OF ICE
AND
FIIIIIIRRRRRREEEEE?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Welp, finally came up against a boss wall I'm not sure I can manage. My power went out :smith

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Huh interesting thing I just found out about

You know how you step forward on most attacks?

The game won’t let you fall off a ledge that way if the fall would be lethal

If the fall would be non-lethal, it lets you fall over by attacking and stepping forward

If you use a weapon skill however it’ll let you fall to your death

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipdh1Eumpks

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

dodgeblan posted:

higher drop rate

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So why exactly do you supposedly want to "clear" frostbite by using fire? Doesn't frostbite reduce defenses so enemies take more damage? Is the idea to clear the status so you can get more of the damage bursts from proc'ing the effect?

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 4, 2022

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

yep

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Vermain posted:

DS1 and DS2 are both easier in terms of their combat systems largely adhering to the give-and-take model of you waiting for (fairly obvious) openings and then exchanging your blows when those openings appear; it's very turn based in general, and anyone who can master the fundamentals of it will find it extremely easy past a certain point, since it requires very little in the way of player skill beyond pattern recognition and a simple level of reactivity

DS3 is when the series started to introduce reflexes as a serious element of combat, and elden ring kind of cements that trend with how fast most attacks come out in general and how certain attacks have maybe 400ms at best for you to recognize them and dodge out. at the same time, it's also the first entry in the series with significant emergency levers for players who get absolutely, undeniably stuck in place. it's a weird situation where the game is both harder at a baseline and has a de facto easy mode in the form of spirit ashes and a huge number of consumables that can allow you to overcome pretty much everything

this feels like a very deliberate design decision: the reflex and skill-based elements of combat have increased proportionally to the ability for a player to flat out ignore them if they're so inclined. i watched noah gervais' big dark souls video essay and his biggest quagmire by a country mile was fume knight, which he spent something like 6-7 full hours to beat, including respeccing 8 full times to try out different strategies, and only made it over the finish line with the help of two highly competent summoned players. this is obviously a situation you do not want your players getting stuck in, but reducing overall difficulty and/or adding in some kind of menu-based difficulty slider are anathema to fromsoft's design goals, so the solution is the aforementioned proportional escalation of both overall difficulty and granular difficulty reduction

It's completely in line with the goal of giving people the "sense of overcoming a challenge" in that long time players can still get a sufficient ball-stomping to feel satisfied, while entirely new people can grab their preferred rocket launcher from the pile but still need to learn enough to be able to abuse it (and can go dial down to more "fundamental" style play over time as they learn if they start getting bored/complacent)

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
one of the big changes in how to approach combat this time is I think you are supposed to attack a lot of enemies during their combos, not at the end

like a lot of bosses seem to have combos that are timed for you to go dodge, attack, dodge, attack

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

i've been wandering for a day. vaguely, where should i go after the academy? i have half the lift key and i've accepted rani's dumb quest

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Mescal posted:

i've been wandering for a day. vaguely, where should i go after the academy? i have half the lift key and i've accepted rani's dumb quest

You could go to caelid or there's a route that skips the lift.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

Mescal posted:

yeah go to caelid or go UP

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

skasion posted:

No, nothing with split damage types can be buffed, only pure physical weapons

Occult doesn't make split damage types. It's still pure physical.

Why can Occult weapons not be buffed? Iunno :shrug:

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Yeah the input queue still being a thing in these games puts me on tilt way too often. Cant believe it still happens

Also dodging when you release the dodge button instead of press, because rolling and running are the same button. That extremely slight delay screws me sometimes. Esp in a game where enemies attack lightning fast. Disappointing they stuck with these systems after sekiro felt so goddamn responsive

Kind of amazed that this apparently got lost a few weeks back because I can confirm it works wonders

Red Mundus posted:

If anyone is like me and hates how dodge works based on button release and not button press I've found a way to fix it if using Steam.

First click Controller Configuration on your Elden Ring library page. Then follow the images below.

This will still let you sprint but you will dodge first before sprinting so be careful. This basically turns it into Sekiro's sprinting if you've ever played that.

Let me know if this breaks something. I've been using it for awhile and no problems so far.

It does make fidgety platforming kind of hazardous but it was worth it imo

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I saw a TikTok earlier that showed a hidden cave in the NW area of the inside arena of the Radahn Fight that I am destined to find tonight.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Mescal posted:

You can take the side entrance to Altus plateau, or swing thru Caelid and murder living nightmares.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

What is the best seal for a Faith build lategame? I've been running with the Godslayer's Seal basically forever, but I never use anything that it boosts other than Black Flame sometimes. I lean on Frenzied Burst for sniping and Black Flame for thinning out groups from closer range before I charge in, and then I've been experimenting with AOE -- Flames of Frenzy or Frozen Lightning Spear or maybe Dragonice? I usually stop casting once combat starts, though, so I haven't been thrilled with AOE that hits 5 monsters for 1/2 their HP and then leaves me with 5 awakened and angry monsters. I tried out the Gravel Stone Seal and loaded up with Lightning Spear and Honed Bolt and Lightning Strike, but I was kinda unimpressed with the damage. (I used to use Lightning Spear for sniping, but Frenzied Burst has kinda replaced it.)

Will one of the other seals give me better overall damage since I'm not making much use of the Godslayer perk?
At around level 110 my stats are around
40 Vigor
22 Mind
26 End
23 Str
15 Dex
7 Int
45 Faith
12 Arcane

Planning to go up to 50 Vigor and 60 Faith and then round off the Str and a little more End and Mind at 150.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I ran into someone who was trolling by getting up to unreachable location and then popping taunter's tongue and bluecop summoner in order to create endless gauntlet of carnage. So I made a video showing the experience/how to do it. If that is the sort of thing that sounds appealing to anyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUFL4U_jZyA

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
I beat Orphan of Kos on my third try and I've died to Malenia at least fifty times now.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Phenotype posted:

What is the best seal for a Faith build lategame?
consult this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gem_oDETZ74

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Video Nasty posted:

I saw a TikTok earlier that showed a hidden cave in the NW area of the inside arena of the Radahn Fight that I am destined to find tonight.

One of those finger pointing statues will aim a beam at it

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Supremezero posted:

Occult doesn't make split damage types. It's still pure physical.

Why can Occult weapons not be buffed? Iunno :shrug:

Also Godfrey's Axe can't be buffed which put a kibosh on several of my plans for when I got the weapon.

I assume there are more that are purely phys but unbuffable because

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the post in the OP that says to go do the dungeon the statue is pointing to before even getting the horse or leveling up is lmao and bad advice. i wasted like 2 hours in that stupid dungeon lmao

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Video Nasty posted:

lol good luck in this dungeon!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So, question about Godfrey:

Was he Hora Loux first, then became Godfrey the Elden Lord, then went back to being Hora Loux when he was exiled? Or was he Godfrey from the beginning, and only became Hora Loux when he was exiled?

And what's the deal with that Lion Spirit? It's his regent? But Regents serve when the king/lord is incapable of ruling (infirm, or a child etc).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Hey what's up with starlight shards? The item description says they're a consumable item that restores FP gradually, but uh, is that it? It seems like an awfully limited consumable resource for that, unless it lasts until death or 15 minutes or something absurd like that. Or I guess if they're infinitely farmable at some point.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Annath posted:

Was he Hora Loux first, then became Godfrey the Elden Lord, then went back to being Hora Loux when he was exiled? Or was he Godfrey from the beginning, and only became Hora Loux when he was exiled?

And what's the deal with that Lion Spirit? It's his regent? But Regents serve when the king/lord is incapable of ruling (infirm, or a child etc).

It's his Stand, because Hora Loux is secretly a Jojo.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
PSA: The amulet that prevents all fall damage is fuckin' lying to you and you can absolutely still die from a fall.

lmao you can have one guess how I learned this fun little fact. ... I was like "sweet, I can get to the bottom of this cliff really fast now" and just deliberately hopped off.

Yes, I lost the runes permanently.

(It does, apparently, prevent damage on falls in between the [zero damage] and [instant death] thresholds)

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Professor Beetus posted:

Hey what's up with starlight shards? The item description says they're a consumable item that restores FP gradually, but uh, is that it? It seems like an awfully limited consumable resource for that, unless it lasts until death or 15 minutes or something absurd like that. Or I guess if they're infinitely farmable at some point.

You can use them as currency to buy specific Spirit Ashes from an NPC.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Wellwinds posted:

Kind of amazed that this apparently got lost a few weeks back because I can confirm it works wonders

It does make fidgety platforming kind of hazardous but it was worth it imo

I keep getting killed on platforming because of the dodge button. On really small platforms like in Raya Lucaria Crystal Tunnel I died multiple times because I needed to sprint off a small platform and hit sprint and tried to move at the same time and it launched me backwards off the platform with a dodge instead.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

omg yes thank you for this, that's the kind of analysis I'm looking for. Even with his boring voice and painful mic settings I watched the whole thing.

For anyone else who might be interested and doesn't want to put themselves through that thing, the TL;DR is that Godslayer is the best overall seal til 70 Faith, at which point Erdtree wins out slightly. And that apparently the Arcane scaling on the Dragon Communion Seal is good enough that it's basically a contender for best overall seal PLUS you get all the benefits of Arcane wrt Bleed and Madness and item finding and arcane weapons and dragon spells. So I maybe should just respec for Dragon Priest haha.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Annath posted:

the former. serosh was apparently a long-time advisor to lords of man who basically spent all his time clinging to godfrey telling him not to stone-cold stunner all his problems away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

AngryBooch posted:

You can use them as currency to buy specific Spirit Ashes from an NPC.

Ah thanks. Haven't found them yet but good to know.

Also it looks like my Nepheli/Kenneth/Gostoc questioned bugged out and won't complete, so I guess I won't be getting that capstone upgrade material this playthrough. :sigh:

e: complaining on the internet wins again; I went and talked to them one more time even though I had already exhausted all their dialogue and teleported back to stormveil and now it finally completed!

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 4, 2022