Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Annath posted:

So, question about Godfrey:

Was he Hora Loux first, then became Godfrey the Elden Lord, then went back to being Hora Loux when he was exiled? Or was he Godfrey from the beginning, and only became Hora Loux when he was exiled?

And what's the deal with that Lion Spirit? It's his regent? But Regents serve when the king/lord is incapable of ruling (infirm, or a child etc).

Godfrey is basically his papal/regal name, Hora Loux was who he was prior to becoming elden lord. Before the Erdtree came animals were more intelligent than humans and so I guess Hora Loux took the wise lion spirit on his back to hold back his barbarian warlust. Its representative of his transformation from a roving murderer like the player into a guy who could actually rule a kingdom.

also i found i think more solid proof that the two fingers and three fingers are both servants of the greater will:

from the mirrorhelm item. it just says vassal Fingers rather than Two Fingers.

Also worthy of note is that based on which fingers comprise the Three Fingers, the Two Fingers must be the Ring and Little Fingers. The Ring Finger is kind of obvious, where the wedding ring is worn, but the little finger was historically where monarchs wore their signet ring. The two fingers point the tarnished on the road to both royalty, and to becoming marika's consort, ie getting married.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

juggalo baby coffin posted:

also i found i think more solid proof that the two fingers and three fingers are both servants of the greater will:

Also worthy of note is that based on which fingers comprise the Three Fingers, the Two Fingers must be the Ring and Little Fingers. The Ring Finger is kind of obvious, where the wedding ring is worn, but the little finger was historically where monarchs wore their signet ring. The two fingers point the tarnished on the road to both royalty, and to becoming marika's consort, ie getting married.

It is probably talking about how there are multiple Two Fingers.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Is NG+ enjoyable at all then or should I just do a fresh save for runthrough no 2?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Are y'all selling excess weapons and gear you find, or hoarding it?

I've sold almost nothing so far partly because I keep forgetting to and partly because I am worried about unintentionally selling something good. The weapon upgrade system has me thrown off my usual RPG rhythm, since I guess conceivably any weapon could be upgraded to a point where it's pretty good. What seems to matter most is whether you jibe with the weapon's mechanics, not whether it has Big Number. (Is that right?)

Now that I think about it, I haven't used my chest either. I'm walking around with like a thousand pounds of weapons in my pocket. That's great, actually. Props to From for not having a carrying capacity - one of the most obnoxious features in RPGs IMO.

EDIT: For that matter, as a Samurai I am still using my starting sword and nearly all my starting gear (I swapped my shield for one that blocks more damage per hit, but that's my only change). I'm on my second legacy dungeon and my sword is level 8. Am I "doing it wrong"?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Are y'all selling excess weapons and gear you find, or hoarding it?

I've sold almost nothing so far partly because I keep forgetting to and partly because I am worried about unintentionally selling something good. The weapon upgrade system has me thrown off my usual RPG rhythm, since I guess conceivably any weapon could be upgraded to a point where it's pretty good. What seems to matter most is whether you jibe with the weapon's mechanics, not whether it has Big Number. (Is that right?)

Now that I think about it, I haven't used my chest either. I'm walking around with like a thousand pounds of weapons in my pocket. That's great, actually. Props to From for not having a carrying capacity - one of the most obnoxious features in RPGs IMO.

EDIT: For that matter, as a Samurai I am still using my starting sword and nearly all my starting gear (I swapped my shield for one that blocks more damage per hit, but that's my only change). I'm on my second legacy dungeon and my sword is level 8. Am I "doing it wrong"?

Unless you know exactly where to go, a lot of the crazy weapons and armor aren't until later in the game. Starter gear will last you a long while

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I’ll sometimes sell off duplicate weapons/armors from the common enemy drops, but for the most part I don’t think it’s worth bothering with. You barely get any souls from it so you might as well keep your options open.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Phenotype posted:

omg yes thank you for this, that's the kind of analysis I'm looking for. Even with his boring voice and painful mic settings I watched the whole thing.

For anyone else who might be interested and doesn't want to put themselves through that thing, the TL;DR is that Godslayer is the best overall seal til 70 Faith, at which point Erdtree wins out slightly. And that apparently the Arcane scaling on the Dragon Communion Seal is good enough that it's basically a contender for best overall seal PLUS you get all the benefits of Arcane wrt Bleed and Madness and item finding and arcane weapons and dragon spells. So I maybe should just respec for Dragon Priest haha.

Huh. I used the dragon seal +10 because I thought it looked neat.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

really israel could slaughter all these children without our help, I just didn't want to miss out on the chance to participate
Think I'm finally ready for my first respec on my main character. Gonna commit to being a dex-tank.

Right Hand: Keen Cross Naginata, Frozen Needle, and Raptor Claws with Bloodhound step for when I want to switch to DPS.
Left Hand: Albinauric Shield, Candletree Shield, Sacrificial Axe

Heaviest armor I can find with the best special, especially lightning, damage negation to help boost up the shields effectiveness.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Godfrey is basically his papal/regal name, Hora Loux was who he was prior to becoming elden lord. Before the Erdtree came animals were more intelligent than humans and so I guess Hora Loux took the wise lion spirit on his back to hold back his barbarian warlust. Its representative of his transformation from a roving murderer like the player into a guy who could actually rule a kingdom.

Well there are multiple 2 Fingers running around.

Everyone you find is already dead but seems there was a bunch of these things about back in the day

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I keep two of everything. For most armors you can alter them and I like having the second *fashion* option

For weapons it’s nice to test out the powerstancing possibilities

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

eleven extra elephants posted:

Is NG+ enjoyable at all then or should I just do a fresh save for runthrough no 2?

I'm enjoying it a lot, at least up thru the Academy it's been fun and I feel kind of overpowered with all these fun tools to work with. Plus being able to skip particularly annoying crypts or whatever is kind of liberating.

e: also, I'm bad at these games and was worried it would be too hard, but so far anyway it's been the opposite

a kitten fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 4, 2022

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Any tips for a new... Astrologer i think?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Well there are multiple 2 Fingers running around.

Everyone you find is already dead but seems there was a bunch of these things about back in the day

that'd be all the more reason to refer to them specifically as Two Fingers or pairs of Fingers or whatever, rather than just fingers in general, when there are multiple types of fingers in the game.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Siiiiiiiick. I'm in the middle of my Frenzy Flame playthrough right now. Soooooo doing this. Plus for whenever I know I'm going to be fighting an NPC.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

AlternateNu posted:

Siiiiiiiick. I'm in the middle of my Frenzy Flame playthrough right now. Soooooo doing this. Plus for whenever I know I'm going to be fighting an NPC.

I thought they patched that?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

that'd be all the more reason to refer to them specifically as Two Fingers or pairs of Fingers or whatever, rather than just fingers in general, when there are multiple types of fingers in the game.
not if you want to use the word "vassal" because it's flavorful and old timey

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ZeusCannon posted:

Use the warp to Selia so you can get the meteorite staff and rock sling early. S sorcery scaling on the staff means it will last you through endgame until you get one of the other fancy staffs upgraded to +9 or 10.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

AngryBooch posted:

lol good luck in this dungeon!

This catacomb is not only insane but also loving crazy!!!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Kind of annoyed that gear requires Strength AND Endurance to wear. I've put probably too many points into Endurance because I want to use the heavy-rear end Blasphemous Blade and wear the Altered Banished Helm and a Brass Shield, and I was looking at also having a straight sword as a change of pace, with a Greatshield to make use of all that Endurance, and I just realized that all the good Greatshields require like 30 Strength that I don't have, even though I'm apparently tough enough to cart it around. Feels like some weird disconnect between mechanics and common sense there.

I think I read it here once: if you take a Dex character that has 10 Strength and uses rapiers and daggers, and a Str character that has 60 Strength and uses a Colossal Hammer, the Dex character will actually be better armored at any given investment of Endurance, which seems kinda odd.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Video Nasty posted:

I saw a TikTok earlier that showed a hidden cave in the NW area of the inside arena of the Radahn Fight that I am destined to find tonight.

LOL whoops I never cleared that one in my first run. I just did the mimic bit then left

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Steve Yun posted:

I thought they patched that?

Patched what?

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Just some screens from my second playthrough on my mage.
Crossing the rainbow bridge :ohdear:

what the gently caress guys

WHAT THE gently caress GUYS

Mage

Spellsword

Swordspellsword

In conclusion, game pretty.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

Is there a particularly good bow for boss cheesing? Some bosses have just been too brutal to stay in close all the time, so I've had luck with buying poison arrows from Isolated Mechant and using them to start off fights with some DOT, but it would be nice if there were bows that could do decent damage with plain arrows too; all I have is Longbow.

Also I got Rotten Stray Ashes +2 because I heard that it can proc Scarlet Rot on bosses, but I'm at Godfrey and he's just owning the dog before the proc even if I try to get in some hits to pull aggro to me instead.

Pulley crossbow with bleed bolts (if bleedable)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So I started as a vagabond, grabbed the Death Poker and put on the Battlemage helmet that gives +2 str and int to meet the 11 intelligence for the sword. When I leveled up my int to a natural 11 I noticed my damage jumped a lot, as if the sword knew that I now legit had the int to wield it. Or maybe the level up screen and it's damage projection doesn't take clothing into account.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 5, 2022

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Man Raya Lucaria on a pure melee build is sorta Not Fun. Every area is like 5 of these machine-gun casting assholes with infinite FP and their spells all stagger even with pretty high poise. Also kinda bizarre how the boss has no checkpoint nearby and you have to run the gauntlet each time. Not a huge deal but it sticks out compared to generous they've been with the stakes of Marika up to that point.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

AlternateNu posted:

Patched what?

I thought they patched out the ability to one shot Gideon with inescapable frenzy

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Professor Beetus posted:

Use the warp to Selia

Use the wat

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

ZeusCannon posted:

Use the wat

If you find yourself in crystal hell through no fault of your own, take in the sights once you get out

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Man Raya Lucaria on a pure melee build is sorta Not Fun.… Not a huge deal but it sticks out compared to generous they've been with the stakes of Marika up to that point.

I forget who posted this pages ago, but lore-wise it makes sense. Renalla’s not going to put up with little statues of the woman who stole her husband all over her house.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Dukes Mayo Clinic posted:

I forget who posted this pages ago, but lore-wise it makes sense. Renalla’s not going to put up with little statues of the woman who stole her husband all over her house.

Do any of the legacy dungeons have stakes? I don't remember any in Stormveil or Volcano Manor, and the only one I can think of in Redmaine is the one on the beach for Radahn.

I think Rennala just has a poo poo checkpoint.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ZeusCannon posted:

Use the wat

In the dragon burnt ruins you can open a chest that will take you to a cool place where you can hang out with prawn buddies. :unsmith:

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

kazil posted:

Do any of the legacy dungeons have stakes? I don't remember any in Stormveil or Volcano Manor, and the only one I can think of in Redmaine is the one on the beach for Radahn.

If you kill the wizards and and Pumpkin Head that are rolling the boulder down the stairs, they don't respawn and you can go that way with no opposition

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Besides the Omen Bairn, are there any Curse themed spells, incantations, or items I can use for my thematic Poop Partaker build?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

kazil posted:

Places that despise the GW and/or Marika do not have her stakes in them no, which is why the more annoying runbacks in this game are all in those places. Thankfully the worst of them isn't as bad as the best in other games.

The academy one is annoying because the shortcut means you're probably going to take damage so if you're struggling with the boss it's better to take the longer marble madness route

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

AngryBooch posted:

lol good luck in this dungeon!

It’s the hardest mini dungeon in the game bar none

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Mons Hubris posted:

I just want to complain about banished knights for a second.

I’m level 115 and these bastards are still killing me easily in Farum Azula. I don’t really have anywhere new to go kill a boss and level up except for Castle Sol, where Commander Niall keeps killing me with his banished knight summons. Whether I get to do any damage to the actual guy depends entirely on whether my mimic tear AI decides to help me go after the summon with two swords first. I’ll get good eventually but I’m kind of frustrated for the first time in this game.

Just run past them, they're not worth engaging unless you really want their equipment, but yeah getting 1 hit in, then having to dance and dodge for 30-45 seconds and repeat isn't fun there.
Especially since they embody all of the annoying "perfect lock on, perfect ability to hold an attack, perfect poise and recovery, perfect gap closers and infinite stamina" that isn't fun.
"Normal" mobs should feel like they have the same constraints as the player.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

ZeusCannon posted:

play the game blind. pump vigor early, probably 40-60 by endgame. there's a sorcery vendor southeast from gatefront ruins along the road, past the bridge and behind a miniboss. oh and don't forget to upgrade your staffs.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Besides the Omen Bairn, are there any Curse themed spells, incantations, or items I can use for my thematic Poop Partaker build?

you can get a wraith summoning bell in the early bit of liurnia that summons a gold curse ghost to chase people, and the dung eater's greatsword has a curse effect to it. theres also omen bairn items dropped by some of the sewer omens but im not sure if theyre different to the reusable bairn you get from morgott

death lightning is also an incantation with the gold curse spell effect

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Poopman's armor of course.
The omenkiller cleaver is made of chopped-off omen/curse horns too. And the omensmirk mask I guess?

e: also Regal Omen Bairn if you only have the normal one

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

Professor Beetus posted:

In the dragon burnt ruins you can open a chest that will take you to a cool place where you can hang out with prawn buddies. :unsmith:

it took me a long time to realize their smaller limbs had humanlike baby hands