Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Looks like 7 or 8 min for the 512 though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

drat, I didn't even think about the size. :negative:

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

calcio posted:

Got my email today. Reserve was at 10:15am for 256 US.

I'm at this same time (assuming your time zone means "15 minutes after pre-orders opened") for this same model and don't have my email, if anyone is close to this time and curious. Guess that means I'm up soon though!

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
https://twitter.com/lawrenceyang/status/1511045220493787136?s=20&t=G6C5CqB6koW_vx6HE_cbbw

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Finding out there's going to be two times a week, but only sometimes, just makes the excitement worse. drat you, Steam Deck.

I haven't really seen anyone talk about the build quality, which to me seems like a good thing. I own two Steam controllers (they were five bucks so don't judge me) and they both feel pretty cheap, like I'm going to break them just using them, so I haven't really used them at all. I assume the deck isn't like that?

I pre-ordered the 64Gb model since I wanted to test the waters on this thing, but I sort of regret that now. Has anyone seen a comparison in how the models match up against each other?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Momomo posted:

Finding out there's going to be two times a week, but only sometimes, just makes the excitement worse. drat you, Steam Deck.

I haven't really seen anyone talk about the build quality, which to me seems like a good thing. I own two Steam controllers (they were five bucks so don't judge me) and they both feel pretty cheap, like I'm going to break them just using them, so I haven't really used them at all. I assume the deck isn't like that?
Reviews across the board are very impressed by the build quality, with the only minor points were the size (it feels the best for someone with medium to large hands, and the thing is huge!), the lack of proper haptics (just two motors in the touchpads), it's a bit heavy but not -that bad-, and the rear buttons feel a bit simple and not everyone is a fan of 'em.
The fan is a bit loud and high pitched under heavy load, but current models have another type of fan mounted which reportedly makes the sound less annoying and an OS update for custom fan ramping on the Deck is coming soon.

Besides that there's praise all around for basically every part of the Deck, from really techy indepth reviewers like Gamers Nexus (this was done when there were still embargos going on so it's on launch software, without any of the numerous updates)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeQH__XVa64
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlsJB3narnk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUh2qtjZu4E

to a more casual review from engadget.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErW52_kqr7I

quote:

I pre-ordered the 64Gb model since I wanted to test the waters on this thing, but I sort of regret that now. Has anyone seen a comparison in how the models match up against each other?
There's basically no noticable difference between running games from SD card and SSD during normal use. A couple of seconds of loading time here and there for larger games, but that's it. It's actually quite amazing how well stuff runs from SD, with numerous people even going so far as to suggest the 64GB version is the way to go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AIY5wH77Po

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 4, 2022

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

calcio posted:

Got my email today. Reserve was at 10:15am for 256 US.

This is encouraging, it took me 40 minutes to get my 256 order in (which felt like an eternity at the time).

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Momomo posted:

Quality seems very good so far, but it's a bit early to tell honestly as this very much shows after a while of usage. I appreciate that sticks and buttons need less force as xbox controllers f.e. since when holding the thing (it's as said, massive) every moment you don't spend energy on using buttons is gained for holding it :D (I actually found out that when lying down I put it away LONG before the battery drains)
got the 256 model and will get an SD card tomorrow, as reviews said it probably makes no difference to internal storage speed.

I only wonder if the non-glare screen really makes a difference as it isn't very bright to begin with and I cannot really see how it will be usable in bright sunlit environments either way. Carrying case is a must imo as again, the thing is huge and I wouldn't want to have it damaged during transport. Case is hard shell so good protection, also fits the power adapter.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
https://lutris.net/ just got updated for deck so emulation/running non steam games should be a bit easier!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTe8k01TF28

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 4, 2022

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ran out of steam on Triangle Strategy, lookin' to get kinda immersed in something ambient. Maybe even open world. Also my wife heard Things about Tunic.

It's unfortunate I had login issues and wasn't able to order one terribly early day-of 'cause I suspect my Q2 is gonna be on the back half. Though I'll be checking my email regularly.

Glad to hear it's holding up to the hype hardware-wise.

...Claudio?

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
Man I was 15 minutes in on a 256 and no email? Cmooon

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Harminoff posted:

https://lutris.net/ just got updated for deck so emulation/running non steam games should be a bit easier!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTe8k01TF28

I don't quite understand what this does for you

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

grieving for Gandalf posted:

It lets you run the Epic Game store, or Battlenet, or other stuff like that in Linux.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The video of the guy plugging GPUs into the deck's M.2 slot was really interesting.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Heran Bago posted:

The video of the guy plugging GPUs into the deck's M.2 slot was really interesting.
Ya, but also extremely impractical as a real every day thing. Like it's one thing to throw it into a dock that will do all that, it's another thing when it's...remove your drive, plug this loose thing in to try to load stuff from your SD card for Windows.

It's neat and I can't wait to see them do more with it, but feel like we're years away from a practical "Yeah so if you put this into the switch like dock it's super charged and now you can basically view god"

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Dramicus posted:

It lets you run the Epic Game store, or Battlenet, or other stuff like that in Linux.

now I get it!!

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

grieving for Gandalf posted:

It's mostly just a frontend, but it makes it a bit easier as everything is preconfigured for you so you don't have to set up all the settings youself running game through Wine.

quote:

Lutris is an open gaming platform for Linux. Lutris helps you install and play video games from all eras and from most gaming systems. By leveraging and combining existing emulators, engine re-implementations and compatibility layers, it gives you a central interface to launch all your games. The client can connect with existing services like Humble Bundle, GOG and Steam to make your game libraries easily available. Game downloads and installations are automated and can be modified through user made scripts.

AngelesXO
May 15, 2009

I had some hitching issues when first getting the Deck and playing Stardew Valley. Luckily it was only an issue the first time, as it has worked flawlessly since.

I also managed to get the Xbox Cloud Gamepass working and tried Weird West and Shredders. WW was unplayable because of the input lag. But Shredders worked fine. Hoping Microsoft can bring the PC Gamepass to the Deck soon.

One thing that surprised me about the Deck was how much I liked the trackpads. They are just so easy to use.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
If anyone was wondering, while you'll obviously need to tackle the control issue yourself, OpenRCT2 works perfectly.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

AngelesXO posted:

One thing that surprised me about the Deck was how much I liked the trackpads. They are just so easy to use.

They have a lot of customization, and with some tweaking you can get them to be much better than sticks for shooters. Believe it or not, I played warframe for a long time with a steam controller and outperformed almost everyone using m&kb.

The problem is you really need to tweak and adjust the trackpads until you find the sweetspot for yourself, and every game will behave differently.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Steam controller is the only controller I'll play any FPS with. Give me a standard controller for a racing game or something any day, but I'm 100% excited to be able to actually play FPS games on a controller with the Deck.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Speaking about the quality of the Deck, does anyone have a Steam Deck and a Steam controller on hand and can you compare them? I LOVE my Steam Controller but I have to agree that it feels pretty drat cheap: really hollow and the plastic feels like a step down from any modern controller. The Steam Deck looks like the same type of plastic but since everyone is praising the build of the device I'm going to assume it only looks the same and actually isn't the same type of plastic.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
In my opinion the controller feels cheap because it's so light not because of the plastic or anything. Feels like it'll float away if you don't have a good grasp on it.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

sigher posted:

Speaking about the quality of the Deck, does anyone have a Steam Deck and a Steam controller on hand and can you compare them? I LOVE my Steam Controller but I have to agree that it feels pretty drat cheap: really hollow and the plastic feels like a step down from any modern controller. The Steam Deck looks like the same type of plastic but since everyone is praising the build of the device I'm going to assume it only looks the same and actually isn't the same type of plastic.

Well I'd disagree that the Steam controller feels cheap. It's sturdy and well-built. The only criticism I have is that the face buttons are a tad too small and the bumpers are maybe a little too stiff/hollow feeling. Also I'm not a fan of the shiny plastic on the front.

Having said that the plastic on the Steam Deck is almost exactly the same as the non-shiny plastic on the sides and back of Steam controller. All the buttons are solid and feel nice. The D-pad is really comfy and feels great to press. The sticks are great too, if a little slippery due to the thumb sensors in the center. The bumpers and triggers are similar to the ones on the steam controller, but better. It's hard to explain.

Also the face buttons on the Steam Deck are slightly larger than those on the Steam Controller, so that's a big improvement as well.

lots of incremental improvements overall.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 5, 2022

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Anyone got a screen protector for this yet? I see some on amazon but they have mixed reviews.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Are you worried about your keys scratching it when you put it in your pocket?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm concerned about my wallet chain scratching it when I take it out of the side pocket of my JNCOs

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
It’s for protecting the touchscreen from the Cheeto dust

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Be the change you want to see in the world. Grab one of the better looking screen protectors and report back to us!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Someone linked a video (or maybe a channel) that had a video about Deck accessories including glass screen protectors. I've used those on my phones for a while now and can't see how they could be bad in any way, they own. The video I saw had it working perfectly with touch as well.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Sort of related. If you are thinking of getting a power bank, make sure it's one intended for laptops that can output 60 watts. Most normal banks don't output enough power to charge the Steam Deck while it's running. But if the bank is rated for 60 watts output it will work fine.

If it's not clear what the output is, if the powerbank is advertised to work with macbooks, it should probably work.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dramicus posted:

Sort of related. If you are thinking of getting a power bank, make sure it's one intended for laptops that can output 60 watts. Most normal banks don't output enough power to charge the Steam Deck while it's running. But if the bank is rated for 60 watts output it will work fine.

If it's not clear what the output is, if the powerbank is advertised to work with macbooks, it should probably work.

Yeah. I went through a few different ones (with my other devices).

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Oh, cool. Steam just closed my support ticket and I still haven't had an email saying my replacement deck has shipped.

Guess I'll open another ticket and ask what the gently caress?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Veotax posted:

Oh, cool. Steam just closed my support ticket and I still haven't had an email saying my replacement deck has shipped.

Guess I'll open another ticket and ask what the gently caress?

Careful, if it’s your third support ticket on the same subject you’ll never hear back.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Coredump posted:

Careful, if it’s your third support ticket on the same subject you’ll never hear back.

No such thing as a third

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
This could just be placebo, but I think a recent shader update improved the performance of a few games. I'm almost certain that some micro-stuttering has been eliminated.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tomorrow is definitely the day I get my email *

* it won’t be tomorrow

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/ondeck/status/1512114363120771075?s=21&t=xulxBW592amYwVsI_PNOhw

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Did anyone get an email today?

I sure didn’t!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm expecting mine to be next week at the current rate. at least I hope!!