Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the federal Election
This poll is closed.
Labor Majority 48 42.48%
Labor Minority 29 25.66%
Liberal Majority 3 2.65%
Liberal Minority 12 10.62%
UAP Majoirty 21 18.58%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

at my last job we had a prayer room and all i used it for was napping. there was never any loving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

ripped off

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Get a better god

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

starkebn posted:

I want the LNP to lose so badly Morrison has to retire in disgrace

The last few election nights have been extremely depressing

I don't think there's any scenario in which the LNP loses the election and Morrison stays in Federal Politics.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Halo14 posted:

I’m a simple man, all I want is more LNP tears than 2007.

I don't think we'll see a night equivalent to that for decades to come. Howard had been in for 11 years and for better or worse (I think most of us would agree worse) had massive changed Australia over that time. Workchoices was pushed largely because the Coalition was believing their own spin and truly thinking they could do anything.

The massive pushback started to make them look shaky, then you had the popular momentum around Rudd. They say that elections are lost, not won, but Rudd had such positive energy around him that in 2007 both were true. Then you had the bonuses like Howard losing his own seat to really rub in that Australia had rejected them and that an entire political era was coming to an end.

In contrast to 2022, where the Coalition have been in power for 9 years, been through three PMs, and don't really have any big achievements to point to. They've ratfucked the country in a bunch of ways, and ruined a decade of potential, but what will the legacy of this government be? Nothing notable really and most of them know it and are already mentally prepared for a time in Opposition to regroup.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Eediot Jedi posted:

Get a better god

worship khorne, turn the prayer room into a boxing ring

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Mola Yam posted:

Imagining the poor APH cleaner, expecting an easy end to the night in the little-used prayer room, opening the door and recreating that 90s Pro Hart carpet ad.

OH MISTA PYNE! WHATTA MESS!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIaCrnRwAWQ

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

GoldStandardConure posted:

worship khorne, turn the prayer room into a boxing ring

Certainly no Tzeench worship there.

hooman fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 4, 2022

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
If you are an avowed Satanist, isn't loving in the Prayer room technically the proper use of the room?

I'm really enjoying people listing off all the other people who have called Morrison a liar, it really is an impressively long list. He's not only a liar, he's a bad liar. At least be good at it.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Konomex posted:

If you are an avowed Satanist, isn't loving in the Prayer room technically the proper use of the room?

I'm really enjoying people listing off all the other people who have called Morrison a liar, it really is an impressively long list. He's not only a liar, he's a bad liar. At least be good at it.

Something similar to this:

Look at the long list of people who can't stand Morrisson. Either professionally or personally. From his own party.

So if he is this disliked for all of these reasons, how was he considered the best option to lead the party? I know his primary opposition was Dutton, so that partly explains it.

But surely there is someon eelse that someone in the Liberal Party actually likes that they would rather see as leader.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

In contrast to 2022, where the Coalition have been in power for 9 years, been through three PMs, and don't really have any big achievements to point to. They've ratfucked the country in a bunch of ways, and ruined a decade of potential, but what will the legacy of this government be? Nothing notable really and most of them know it and are already mentally prepared for a time in Opposition to regroup.

The funny thing is that Australia, objectively speaking, did really well through COVID in terms of both lives lost and (for most Australians) normal life preserved for at least a year or two, and Morrison should reasonably think history will reflect well on him for that. It's indisputably the biggest achievement of the sitting government, however much they dropped the ball when it came to easing us into the new normal. But he left so much of it to the states, so Victorians and NSWers are (understandably) ready to memory-hole the whole period while Queenslanders, West Australians etc correctly view their good fortune as being down to their premiers. It's a massively squandered political opportunity.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

After working on it for weeks of time — probably months — in fits and starts over three years (I started it prior to the last election), the much-requested, never-commissioned You Can't "Waste" Your Vote, Part 2: What's the Go with Voting for the Senate? is close to completion at long last.

Expect it within a week or two. If you want to say you helped push it over the line, my ko-fi awaits your civic-minded philanthropy: https://ko-fi.com/patrickalexander

The original comic (thrown together over a few days) was born from discussions and complaints in this very thread back in 2013 (I posted it here first, and it went viral throughout the day before I had a chance to post it anywhere else), so I blame each and every one of you bastards for setting me on this thankless headache of a project. Honestly though it's kind of amazing the effect the comic has had over the years (though unfortunately it hasn't made itself completely redundant yet), and if you were posting here back then, whingeing about the ignorance of Australian voters, you helped to spark the whole thing ablaze.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

After working on it for weeks of time — probably months — in fits and starts over three years (I started it prior to the last election), the much-requested, never-commissioned You Can't "Waste" Your Vote, Part 2: What's the Go with Voting for the Senate? is close to completion at long last.

Heck yeah.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
there are three factions in the liberals, the moderates, centre-right, and right. morrison's faction is the centre-right, which split from the right in 2009, and has long played both sides in the internal factional fights, having less in the way of ideological commitments than the other two factions & more being oriented around morrison as a personality, at least at the federal level.

when dutton was making a leadership challenge in 2018, morrison saw an opportunity and quietly worked behind the scenes to undermine turnbull while shoring up his own support as a compromise candidate - some of his backers voted for dutton in the first challenge, but crucially not enough for dutton to win. that destabilised turnbull's leadership which let him get turnbull's backing to run if turnbull lost a spill motion, presenting himself as a compromise candidate acceptable to both the moderates and right of the party. securing the support of the moderates, along with his existing factional base (a significant portion of whom would clearly otherwise prefer dutton over turnbull or another moderate) was enough to win against dutton. julie bishop also ran but the moderates did not strongly back her as they didn't think she'd win in the second round against dutton, as enough of morrison's backers would have preferred dutton.

a big part of morrison being so loathed at the moment by certain factions is the current nsw factional drama over pre-selections. here's a summary
-in 2018, abbott & the right of the nsw liberals successfully changed the party's rules to give grassroots members much more of a say in local candidate pre-selections. this was a power grab by the right, as the party's membership obviously leans that way, and this election is the first to have pre-selections take place under the new rules.
-local branches directly getting to do pre-selections themselves means that the balance of power has changed in a number of seats and a few federal ministers from morrison's faction (including alex hawke who's one of its leaders) have been facing serious pre-selection challenges from the right. hawke's response was to play procedural games to delay those pre-selection votes from actually happening, deliberately engineering the current crisis to allow for federal intervention which obviously gives morrison's faction an adventure
-the nsw state liberals currently have a power-sharing agreement between the moderates & the right, shutting morrison's centre-right out (so they're already unpopular there). idk exactly how that came about but i'd assume the other two got sick of the centre-right's slimy playing-both-sides ruthlessness at some point.
-the moderates are unhappy with both the right threatening some of their sitting MPs & seats like warringah that they would have the best chance of winning, and with the centre-right's brinkmanship tactics to deliberately force this crisis with the aim of installing their own candidates that don't have wider support.
-there have been many attempts at a factional deal to divide up open seats between factions in a way that makes everyone happy enough, but any such deal requires 90% of the state executive to agree under abbott's new rules, and there's always been enough of the executive unhappy with all proposed deals, believing they can get something better by forcing it to the brink.
-nsw state liberal mp melanie gibson wants to run for the seat of hughes, but the state government is in minority so perrottet (who is a key figure in the right of the party) can't afford another by-election right now.
-the end result has been morrison having the federal executive take over and appoint a special committee (of him, perrottet, and a few others) to decide all the pre-selections themselves, splitting up seats in a way to make the factions only vaguely happy, protecting moderate & centre-right incumbents at risk, selecting more morrison-aligned candidates than would have otherwise happened, and not letting melanie gibson run in hughes because perrottet can't afford a by-electiomn
-most of the right & its grassroots base hate this for very obvious reasons and there's a court battle playing out over whether the federal executive is even allowed to do this, so there's a ton of acrimony. the moderates aren't too happy with the situation either

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/apr/04/liberal-mp-catherine-cusack-scott-morrison-ruthless-bullying-flood-victims
here's another nsw liberal coming out swinging against morrison - it's a state upper house mp who's quitting politics because she hates the party too much & has decided to do as much damage as she can on the way out

lih fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 4, 2022

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

lih posted:

a bunch of informative stuff

Very much appreciating this and your other posts in this thread. Thanks!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

lih posted:

-in 2018, abbott & the right of the nsw liberals successfully changed the party's rules to give grassroots members much more of a say in local candidate pre-selections. this was a power grab by the right, as the party's membership obviously leans that way, and this election is the first to have pre-selections take place under the new rules.

I mean I don't have a dog in this fight, but isn't this how things should work in a democracy?

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Mola Yam posted:

Imagining the poor APH cleaner, expecting an easy end to the night in the little-used prayer room, opening the door and recreating that 90s Pro Hart carpet ad.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Morrison trod on a few people on his way up, not only in preselection for his seat but when he was state president of the Liberals. But I think up until he became PM his skullduggery was somewhat limited. His ambitions were known and he'd bruised some people, but hey, that's politics.

What we are seeing now is the revelation that since becoming PM he has turned into a fully fledged, thump the table, my way or the highway bully. He believes in absolute power and has ratfucked the NSW libs in an attempt to put his mates where he wants.

It's also remeniscient of KRudd's journey in the way that he was useful as a fencesitting kind of guy without strong convictions but the downside is that when it goes to poo poo he has no power base to circle around him and defend him.

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Tomberforce posted:

Towke working for Morrison trying to win over the One Nation vote?

Scott Morrison being racist - specifically towards Lebanese and Muslims is a sure fire winner in Cook electorate. He’s just secured his seat in an election loss.

woofbro fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 4, 2022

do it on my face
Feb 6, 2005
°

Animal Friend posted:

now we know why Cory Bernardi left the LNP

couldn't get laid in the liberal party prayer room, mistah speakah

lih
May 15, 2013

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I mean I don't have a dog in this fight, but isn't this how things should work in a democracy?

yeah it's certainly more democratic, but the reasons the right wanted it are pretty clear - because it directly benefited them the most due to the party's active membership unsurprisingly leaning well to the right of the public or even the average liberal voter.

but the benefits in terms of actually being representative are fairly marginal when the party doesn't really have a large membership & there'll probably be a bunch of branch-stacking going on etc.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

woofbro posted:

Scott Morrison being racist - specifically towards Lebanese and Muslims is a sure fire winner in Cook electorate. He’s just secured his seat in an election loss.

I love the "so and so isn't racist" rhetoric in this country when we have the most blatantly racist immigration detention system going around

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I love the "so and so isn't racist" rhetoric in this country when we have the most blatantly racist immigration detention system going around

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Also true

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

"Every other idiot on the road causes these traffic jams!"

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Is this a crossover episode of Utopia and Frontline?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
There's a few other suburbs in Syd/Mel that have the same problem, here's another one:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-30/marsden-park-traffic-congestion-development-nightmare/12929584

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

There's a few other suburbs in Syd/Mel that have the same problem, here's another one:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-30/marsden-park-traffic-congestion-development-nightmare/12929584

Can't wait for marrickville to get 300+ new apartments in the next 12 months in an area that already is congested as gently caress with traffic at peak hour.

The street it's being built on is literally wide enough for 2 cars only. If there's cars parked on the street, it's wide enough for 1 car.

But hey corruption is king and cheaper than building the infrastructure to support all those new residents.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

We're starting to replicate more of these in Adelaide as well, and while it's nowhere near as bad yet it's inevitable with these types of designs. Developers make money and people move into cheap housing, and then taxpayers are left to subsidize the building of extra roads and transport connections.

lih
May 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/cokeefe9/status/1511108314217988098

here's the most nonsensical doomer take possible from some channel 9 journalist & some labor right weirdo: "all polls point to minority government"

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The polls could be 90/10 in favour of Labor and many journos would still pretend it's going to be a photo finish

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

remember when labor were a shoe in for the 2019 election? lol

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
if labor wins ill do a shoey in the prayer room

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

just bloody be careful that's beer you're sippin

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

lih posted:

https://twitter.com/cokeefe9/status/1511108314217988098

here's the most nonsensical doomer take possible from some channel 9 journalist & some labor right weirdo: "all polls point to minority government"

Or some day Kosm

Also it's shoo in, tweet ignored

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

lih posted:

It might not be likely, but im pretty happy with an ALP/Greens coalition.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Laserface posted:

remember when labor were a shoe in for the 2019 election? lol

Yeah pretty much and all the discussion seems identical to how it was back then. I still have PTSD so I won't be feeling comfortable in advance this time.