Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

verbal enema posted:

L4D2 owns

Mostly of all cuz I can play all of l4d1 in it. The superior l4d

The wombo combo of Evolve and Back 4 Blood proved to me that most of the magic of L4D 1 & 2 came from Valve lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
This doesn't SEEM to be related but even if you don't know or care about (or even like?) Hypnospace Outlaw you may wanna tune in here in just under 2 hours. :clint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufMl2DlWX7w

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
If this is what yo--I mean your friend was teasing last year, I'm looking forward to seeing the very confused reactions from people who weren't paying attention. :twisted:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Arc Hammer posted:

Dunno if 2009 is enough to warrant "early FPS" but I went back to play Left 4 Dead 2 and it's still a load of fun. The plane crash during Dead Air still looks amazing.
I still play L4D2 on Expert Realism mode all the time. IMO it is for co-op what Doom 2 is for the single player FPS. Over the weekend I bought The Anacrusis to check it out and while it's obviously unfinished, it's still kind of striking that the goal of a 2022 game is basically "re-implement a less charming Left 4 Dead 1 with no PVP"

Linguica fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 5, 2022

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.

Gaspy Conana posted:

This doesn't SEEM to be related but even if you don't know or care about (or even like?) Hypnospace Outlaw you may wanna tune in here in just under 2 hours. :clint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufMl2DlWX7w

Fuckin YES Slayers X: Terminal Aftermath: Vengance of the Slayer!!

Zane LIVES!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

thedangergroove posted:

Fuckin YES Slayers X: Terminal Aftermath: Vengance of the Slayer!!

Zane LIVES!
It's already got a Steam page, Zane works fast.

Dreamsettler has a page too.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Man, USS Darkstar. I played that on my PC when I still had dial-up, and asked a friend from school to download it on their cable internet and burn it to a CD. I probably paid them with a ham sandwich for the favor--but the point is, this was WAY before I had a real understanding of "cut content". Like, I remember e-mailing somebody from Acclaim Entertainment because the manual for Turok 2 (PC) had enemies in it that weren't even in the game; their response was something to the effect of "yeah they're not in the game" and I thought it was so bizarre that a game might have things and then, you know, not have those things.

Anyway, USS Darkstar did an excellent job incorporating a bunch of Half-life's cut models: The frogs, the "birds", the fish, the Kingpin and, of course, "Mr. Friendly". I don't recall any of them actually doing anything, but let me tell you, when poo poo first hits the fan and I was creeping through the dark waiting for the Kingpin to kill me? That was a very memorable moment and, as a result, a very memorable mod.

Same. Objectively, I'm pretty sure USS Darkstar doesn't hold up compared to the last 20 years of HL mods but it's still my favorite by a mile, I'm a little scared to ever go back and play it again. So many of my Darkstar memories involve being scared of some horrifying creature or sound I'd never seen/heard before but now my pendulous balls are 20x larger (metaphorically speaking, baby photos imply my balls are exactly the same size now as the day i was born) and it wouldn't have the same effect these days.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Darkstar has the first meme I remember

Coconut Monkey's Gravy Trader

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Hell yeah USS Darkstar. That was my System Shock 2. And I played through System Shock 2!

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Also Half Life mods in general. What a wonderful thing to have when you’re 12 and penniless.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I really wish my dad was still alive so I could show him the modding scene nowadays :smith:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
l4d2 owns. i have a soft spot for the l4d1 levels since that's the game i spent much more time with friends playing, but 2 in general has quite a bit of content between 1, 2, and the three dlcs

site fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 5, 2022

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
l4d1 owns more cuz the gun models were better they were low slung so it felt like it was where the player characters held them

lfd2 has them pressed up against my cheek like cod and it drives me INSANE

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
also dual pistols in lfd1 with scroll wheel up and down bound to fire was THE poo poo

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

USS Darkstar was the HL mod that was like a zoo spaceship, right? If so, I played it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i still love the overall aesthetic and feel of source games like half life 2 after all these years, there's something chunky and nice about the engine that does it for me

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
USS Darkstar still slaps, absolutely give it another whirl.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

wish they’d make a normal single player game again. i hear alyx is very good. but, yknow. lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Weedle posted:

wish they’d make a normal single player game again. i hear alyx is very good. but, yknow. lol

it’s mind blowing

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Weedle posted:

If only I had any room to comfortably use a VR set.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Johnny Joestar posted:

i still love the overall aesthetic and feel of source games like half life 2 after all these years, there's something chunky and nice about the engine that does it for me

Agree. Source games still look very nice to me. I'm hoping they put more of them on Switch after Portal.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Titanfall 2 using source looked and ran so well on consoles that it boggles my mind that no other devs used it

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Deakul posted:

If only I had any room to comfortably use a VR set.

You can play Alyx sitting down.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Titanfall 2 using source looked and ran so well on consoles that it boggles my mind that no other devs used it

Titanfalls branch of Source was extensively modified, at the very least the rendering and streaming was totally rewritten

OG Source would catch fire if you tried to do levels as big as Titanfall/Apex does

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

as a counterpart to barudak having a terrible time, which isn't shocking because they seem to play every game in the most rear end backwards way, i'm having a stellar time with nightmare reaper. the level design gets a little repetitive but it's otherwise a ton of good explosive fun. you know if you don't want to rely on a single weapon, you can just Not, and keep switching it out. or you can keep that one as a reliable workhorse but keep swapping new weapons when you get them in each level because the game showers guns at you. no one is forcing you to use the same gun all the time, you're supposed to experiment lol

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Source for me represented the turning point between "old-gen" and "next-gen." To this day, if a game looks about on par with a Source game I'll still think it looks pretty good.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

Agree. Source games still look very nice to me. I'm hoping they put more of them on Switch after Portal.
The Portal Switch port is being done by NVidia, who previously threw Half-Life 2 onto Android, so I assume those'll come at some point.

Respawn's version of Source is an extremely modified (and probably mostly rewritten by this point) version of the Portal 2 version of the engine. The main reason few other major devs used Source is that the tools were/are utterly painful compared to Unreal and its ilk. Source 2 dramatically overcompensates for this with a really, really nice level editor, but from the sounds of things it's not really ready for other developers to use yet. Still, at least Alyx modders can enjoy themselves.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/Zane_Rocks_36/status/1511361828995096589?s=20&t=R5zHkkOeFltowOMDxQb4gw

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

There's also that S&box thing Garry Newman was cooking up as a follow-up-of-sorts to GMod, but I have no idea how anyone has their hands on that at the moment. Probably shady backroom dealing (or rather, "please join our Discord to even get access to the signup forms", which may as well be the same thing to a guy like me who only joins a server or forum when he knows he's gonna get a lot more out of things than a single transaction).

Still, can't come soon enough, GMod is... pretty ugly-looking for me for whatever reason these days. I suspect it's the bloom or other similar postprocess FX, seems you can't have any mildly-bright area without the lighting blowing out on your models, and turning bloom off only seems to help so much.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i can feel serotonin in my brain every time i hear the clonk of a wooden box in a source game

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

chaosapiant posted:

You can play Alyx sitting down.

That sounds really awkward but then again I've never used a VR set.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Mordja posted:

Source for me represented the turning point between "old-gen" and "next-gen." To this day, if a game looks about on par with a Source game I'll still think it looks pretty good.

Honestly, same. Mostly playing older and non-AAA games probably doesn't help though.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

This was one of Valve’s biggest strengths with their source games imo. Leaning so heavily on a specific art style instead of going for photo realism was a great decision.

Heck Team Fortress 2 still looks great in 2022 if you run it at max graphics and even at the potato settings I had to use on my previous laptop while ugly it was a charming kind of ugly

Linguica posted:

I still play L4D2 on Expert Realism mode all the time. IMO it is for co-op what Doom 2 is for the single player FPS. Over the weekend I bought The Anacrusis to check it out and while it's obviously unfinished, it's still kind of striking that the goal of a 2022 game is basically "re-implement a less charming Left 4 Dead 1 with no PVP"

That game was such a buggy mess when I tried it a couple months ago, also for whatever reason every attempt at a L4D2 clone fucks up the difficulty in really obnoxious ways

The Kins posted:

The Portal Switch port is being done by NVidia, who previously threw Half-Life 2 onto Android, so I assume those'll come at some point.

Respawn's version of Source is an extremely modified (and probably mostly rewritten by this point) version of the Portal 2 version of the engine. The main reason few other major devs used Source is that the tools were/are utterly painful compared to Unreal and its ilk. Source 2 dramatically overcompensates for this with a really, really nice level editor, but from the sounds of things it's not really ready for other developers to use yet. Still, at least Alyx modders can enjoy themselves.

Even Valve barely seems to want to do anything with Source these days, I wonder if their lack of games in recent years might be less them being lazy(though that certainly has a role) and more that their developers just hate working with Source and all its spaghetti code and don't want to use it but due to how central it is to their image as a developer they can't just abandon it for a new engine without causing some really bad optics so they instead just opt to not make games since they get unlimited income from Steam anyways and their corporate structure makes it easy for them to get away with being lazy fucks too

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think it's because it's cheaper and easier to harvest $Texas from steam and pay fewer developers who can focus on that rather than developing big games that may not sell. When they do develop a game it's to push something else, Alyx was to push VR, that card game was probably engineered to foster community market sales that they keep 15% of. Maybe there'll be a surprise steamdeck-focused mobile game.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

koren posted:

Does anybody have any recommendations for single player half life mods? I've only ever tried USS Darkstar, the half quake series and I recently just played through poke646. Is there a decent community hub for half life modding?

HL:Caged and Cry of Fear are really good. The second one is a TC but if you like horror it's a good time. I just started Poke646 the other day, need to finish it. I kept passing it up because the name sounds like a Hawaiian pop punk band from 2001 but it's fun.

L4D2 chat: Glubtastic maps are way fun but also torture and I can't stop playing them. Played Buried Deep recently and its really well done and has some good Doom references. Anyone have any recommendations for campaigns that are not on the workshop?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hey hey, let's not forget them buying a popular dota2 mod, Autochess, and releasing their own unspectacular version of it for an easy green harvest of broke-brained dota players! (nevermind the perennial income from dota itself)

Valve has income, man.

edit: Asking for a new Half Life game is like asking for a new Chrono Trigger game. That IP is dead and buried man, just look for others to make the games you like.
edit2: And don't say Alyx, as mentioned above it's a pretty transparent push to get people into VR and nothing more

Serephina fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 6, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

https://twitter.com/kinsie/status/1511008318696804358?t=c_EgN96_90vo0mE1kRQNug&s=19

*constantly refreshes reelism's site* :f5:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 6, 2022

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Does Nightmare Reaper get better? I'm closing in on 2 hours after just beating the first boss and while it's fun, the levels feel very samey, the enemy types haven't really evolved, and most importantly I still struggle to make out what's going on, no matter how I mess with the settings - feels like I'm straining my eyes. The guns are fun and feel good but even that's not so interesting - yeah there's a lot of different perks but not so many weapon types.

Feel like refunding if the formula doesn't get any better for me or if they shake it up down the line, very much a fun but shallow pool kinda game.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

drrockso20 posted:

Heck Team Fortress 2 still looks great in 2022 if you run it at max graphics and even at the potato settings I had to use on my previous laptop while ugly it was a charming kind of ugly

That game was such a buggy mess when I tried it a couple months ago, also for whatever reason every attempt at a L4D2 clone fucks up the difficulty in really obnoxious ways

Even Valve barely seems to want to do anything with Source these days, I wonder if their lack of games in recent years might be less them being lazy(though that certainly has a role) and more that their developers just hate working with Source and all its spaghetti code and don't want to use it but due to how central it is to their image as a developer they can't just abandon it for a new engine without causing some really bad optics so they instead just opt to not make games since they get unlimited income from Steam anyways and their corporate structure makes it easy for them to get away with being lazy fucks too

it's probably because literally no one at the company other than maybe 5 or 10 people do any work at all and the fact that source 2 exists in any form is basically a miracle

remember how they absorbed two or three dev studios a few years back, including the one doing that egyptian adventure game that got a lot of attention, and then cancelled every game 2 months later

site fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Artelier posted:

Does Nightmare Reaper get better? I'm closing in on 2 hours after just beating the first boss and while it's fun, the levels feel very samey, the enemy types haven't really evolved, and most importantly I still struggle to make out what's going on, no matter how I mess with the settings - feels like I'm straining my eyes. The guns are fun and feel good but even that's not so interesting - yeah there's a lot of different perks but not so many weapon types.

Feel like refunding if the formula doesn't get any better for me or if they shake it up down the line, very much a fun but shallow pool kinda game.

Thats the game, basically. It'll introduce more enemies and you'll stop seeing old ones, but fundamentally either a 5-10 minute level will appeal or it won't.