Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

https://youtu.be/LxgMdjyw8uw

Just lol that the first video from the Kurzgesagt channel after the latest IPCC report is this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

God Hole posted:

modest efforts to leverage my esoteric knowledge on covid and climate change to inform those around me and inoculate them to the looming horrors on the horizon have only served to isolate me socially and alienate the few friends i had left. i turned 30 years old this year, and with that benchmark has come the realization that everything i have ever done has been rendered meaningless by machinery outside of my ability to fully conceive of or influence. i laugh because it hurts not to, and i do not consider it a luxury.

lmao, yeah

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

IAMKOREA posted:

All of this "we have to get off fossil fuels" talk is nonsense without the second part which is "you won't enjoy as many treats in a life not subsidized by millions of years of accumulated solar energy" but that 2nd part must never, ever be spoken for some reason

for the vast majority of humanity that's not true even. it only really applies to westerners living middle class and better lifestyles.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Cloks posted:

For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief.

the wise man dies the same as the fool

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Yeah but I bet the wise man gets a sick epitaph

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

for the vast majority of humanity that's not true even. it only really applies to westerners living middle class and better lifestyles.

Yeah that's true, I was specifically responding to the CBS news report clip's guest's statements. You're all gonna have to start living like people in ____ is a hard sell I guess.

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
posting on page 420 of my favorite thread.

i think about every month as something like .5 - 1% of my remaining life these days. lol. what's the worst that happens? i'm wrong and humanity lives and i don't have any savings. lmao.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
Posting on the same page as atmospheric co2 ppm :cheers:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Smoke it! (The biosphere.)

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I am going to become the Toker

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

:nsa:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hubbert posted:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
page count must exceed co2ppm or else climate change wins

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Hubbert posted:

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Not So Fast posted:

https://youtu.be/LxgMdjyw8uw

Just lol that the first video from the Kurzgesagt channel after the latest IPCC report is this

I hate myself so I watched this. DO NOT READ THIS POST, YOU ALREADY KNOW

The first minute is a summary of how boned we are and how it's causing young people especially to have anxiety about the future and not want to have children.

At the minute mark "That is not true. You are not doomed. Humanity is not doomed."

1) "Cancelling the apocalypse"

Admits we're not limiting warming to 1.5C then talks about how horrible anything above that is, even going to so far as to say 3C is likely if major climate policies aren't adopted (they won't be). This is good though because over the last ten years "most scientists" started believing we're capable of avoiding apocalyptic climate change. Civilization will still exist, it will just have to change. What exactly this means (what constitutes an apocalypse in his mind?) isn't really explored and no evidence is really offered at this point.

2) "The Invisible Shift"

Admits that nothing worth a poo poo has been done with respect to climate change and everything kept getting worse for the earth over the last ten years, but there was still a lot of progress (?). For one thing, coal use levelled off in developing countries and dropped in the UK and US because of cheap emerging renewable alternatives. Wind and solar are increasing their share of energy production "but this is still not nearly enough." Battery prices are decreasing too! And we're replacing incandescent bulbs with LEDs! Artificial meat! Carbon capture! CO2 emissions are falling in the EU! Ok?

"We are at the point where decarbonizing is a bad business decision."

The huge assumption here is that some good news indicates more will come and he's constantly admitting it's realistically not enough. If you want to cherry pick some good news, you could do that about anything.

3) "The trap of hopelessness"

Feeling hopeless causes inaction. Bla bla bla gently caress bla cope bla

"Maybe we can turn that 3C we're on course for into 2C" lol

Doom is what the big fossil fuel companies WANT you to feel. Don't let them win! Be positive! Be hopeful!

Just really lazy. No mention of feedback loops, not much well-supported evidence that real positive changes are plausible, and he shoots himself in the foot repeatedly by admitting how terrible everything looks and then weakly trying to comfort the viewer. If anything this video took me from a 9.9 to 9.95 on the doom scale if this is all libs are able to offer in terms of hopefulness.

Money quote: "If the last in many ways wasted decade has shown us anything, then it's that progress is being made.":gbsmith:

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

MuffinsAndPie posted:

I haven't watched it yet, but I'm guessing it's from wild fires and the thawing of permafrost/loss of plant life?

Yeah they were showing pictures of wildfires and poo poo so obviously it's this but I didn't realize it was such a huge emitter. Nature is big, yo.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Wakko posted:

the most backward take. humanity stands at the cusp of realizing its grand destiny. tens of thousands of years of consumption have brought us here, and you whine? imagine a tuberculosis bacterium mewling like this as the host's lungs start to fill with fluid. generations have stood on the shoulders of one another, all working together to bring us here. its is only now, at the great dying, that we realize true meaning.

Humanity is the virus

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

T-Paine posted:

Money quote: "If the last in many ways wasted decade has shown us anything, then it's that progress is being made.":gbsmith:

Progress in that we're objectively making things worse faster than ever?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

very funny to literally say "it's not the end of the world, doomers. it's just going to get progressively worse in the very near future and we've shown absolutely no signs we're seriously going to stop doing anything that causes it, but that doesn't mean there's no hope."

C'mon, what about technologies which only exist on paper? Plus technologies that only exist in imagination and sci-fi? All the TV shows I've ever seen say humans are special and make it through anything, so maybe stop being so pessismistic!

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
perhaps this "progress" thing is a myth after all ........

:hmmyes:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Humanity is the virus

It too me over 20 years to realize how right Agent Smith was

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tungsten posted:

the wise man dies the same as the fool

No good at life, but very funny sometimes with the commentary.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

thanks lil buddy

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

hell yeah brother

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
How am I sober right now, this page better hold out for another hour and a half...

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Nice

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

:blessed:

Finished the End of Ice - its a very "Its definitely too late so just learn to enjoy what you can in life with out hurting the earth anymore" kind of book. Just piles on stats but talks about enjoying the outdoors where possible which is pretty much how i've been handling the knowledge that there's nothing I can do. If I hadnt already read The Ends of the Earth and a bunch of other stuff, his data presentation probably would have crack pinged me but i am too crack pinged.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

T-Paine posted:

I hate myself so I watched this. DO NOT READ THIS POST, YOU ALREADY KNOW

:words:

lol you couldn't help yourself. i couldn't either, since i can't stand lib poo poo spouting off about cost, i decided to go back and dig into it and find out what is the EI/CC that the climeworks/carbfix guys pull and according to geoengineeringmonitor, to do 4kt per annum takes a meagre 8000 MWh thermal and 2600 MWh electric!

gonna estimate a thermal -> electric efficiency of ~64% for extrapolation purposes, giving a broad ~3 MWh / t CO2 sequestered

we only add a paltry.. ~1.5 gigatons of CO2 per annum, so using current demonstrable efficiency.. lessee

..why that's only four and half billion megawatt-hours of purely green energy necessary just to reach parity with what is added per anum.. how we're doing there?

..looks like as of the end of 2021 we have an approximate global capacity of about 3090 GW of "green" energy.. forgetting cap factors and the amount of natgas that goes into what is ostensibly green we already have.. 0.068666% (hail satan) of the green energy necessary! just to equalize what we add per year!

this is all coarse as hell, it is entirely possible that the climeworks/carbfix filtration model could see efficiency gains at scale but to what degree? pulling it outta my rear end 20% better might be feasible but much more than that? i'd like to see some historical data and do some extrapolation but that level of effort exceeds the boundaries of this shitpost, as does getting into the details of geothermal-powered prototype vs. other methods, the industrial footprint of that scaling up, etc. etc... every level of added fidelity to the calculation is likely to make the quantification more dire than this

in short

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

:coolzone:

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Humanity is the virus

Under capitalism we are a virus on track to killing our host, the Earth.
We had the opportunity to improve, become something better. The New Soviet Man was the chance to shed our viral nature, but the Americans crushed that ideal.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007