Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh wonderful, that's just what this manga needs, Hamon explosions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

CuwiKhons posted:

There's a very real narrative dissonance if you think about it too hard, but you're not supposed to think about it that hard unless the author suddenly wants you to.

This is honestly kind of a running thing throughout the manga and one of its biggest issues to me. It presents this flawed society but doesn't want you thinking about it unless it's directly related to the plot.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

honestly I feel like bakugo is generally one of the losers/characters most negatively affected by the shift away from the focus on hero school. "How do you reconcile yourself to working with your awful childhood bully?" and "can you be a hero if you lack basic compassion and respect for others?" are (mildly) interesting questions in the hero academy context, but lose a lot of their weight when the story's main thrust is about fighting a megalomaniacal superpower absorbing monster.

It doesn't help that his whole deal is basically completely orthogonal to the villains' issues, especially since the question of whether he'd ever work with them is pretty quickly and easily dispensed with, and somehow the issue of whether the exploding guy has a quirk that can actually safely exist in society doesn't ever really come up, as far as I can recall. You'd think there'd be some thematic parallels to explore between Bakugo's desire to blow things up and Toga's desire for blood, and how society handles these two different destructive urges completely differently because one is readily turned to enforcing the law, but ehhhh.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

God remember when that happened and everyone was mortified for like two months at the possibility of Bakugo becoming Sasuke

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Valentin posted:

honestly I feel like bakugo is generally one of the losers/characters most negatively affected by the shift away from the focus on hero school. "How do you reconcile yourself to working with your awful childhood bully?" and "can you be a hero if you lack basic compassion and respect for others?" are (mildly) interesting questions in the hero academy context, but lose a lot of their weight when the story's main thrust is about fighting a megalomaniacal superpower absorbing monster.

It doesn't help that his whole deal is basically completely orthogonal to the villains' issues, especially since the question of whether he'd ever work with them is pretty quickly and easily dispensed with, and somehow the issue of whether the exploding guy has a quirk that can actually safely exist in society doesn't ever really come up, as far as I can recall. You'd think there'd be some thematic parallels to explore between Bakugo's desire to blow things up and Toga's desire for blood, and how society handles these two different destructive urges completely differently because one is readily turned to enforcing the law, but ehhhh.

All this thematic weirdness and yet he's still one of the two characters with actual meaningfully explored arcs, the other being Endeavor of all people

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Arist posted:

All this thematic weirdness and yet he's still one of the two characters with actual meaningfully explored arcs, the other being Endeavor of all people

But not for lack of trying on Toga's part, huh? Just consistently threatening to have an arc, that girl.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

God remember when that happened and everyone was mortified for like two months at the possibility of Bakugo becoming Sasuke

say what you will about Naruto and Sasuke, but that relationship at least has a pretty sensible thematic resonance for the overall series (Naruto's refusal to turn on his teammate despite the weight of both their personal history and broader cycles of violence in the ninja world is basically the crux of the whole thing). meanwhile bakugo says sorry in an arc basically written for "bakugo says sorry" and things move on almost immediately because the conflict between him and deku ceased to be thematically relevant for anyone but bakugo a couple hundred chapters ago.

like drat bakugo isn't even deku's real "important rival who has to be redeemed", that's shigaraki. rough.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The lack of any real pushback from Deku in regards to Bakugo after like, chapter 11 was always incredibly strange. It didn't just make Deku feel like a doormat, it made him seem like a total void of personality, a black hole from which no semi-interesting conflict could possibly escape.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Valentin posted:

say what you will about Naruto and Sasuke, but that relationship at least has a pretty sensible thematic resonance for the overall series (Naruto's refusal to turn on his teammate despite the weight of both their personal history and broader cycles of violence in the ninja world is basically the crux of the whole thing). meanwhile bakugo says sorry in an arc basically written for "bakugo says sorry" and things move on almost immediately because the conflict between him and deku ceased to be thematically relevant for anyone but bakugo a couple hundred chapters ago.

like drat bakugo isn't even deku's real "important rival who has to be redeemed", that's shigaraki. rough.

I mean, hell, for a hot minute there, Todoroki even took his spot as secondary male lead.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I mean, that hot (and cold) minute is still going, and has been pretty much since...Endeavor versus the Nomu? Bakugo doesn't actually have any kind of plot going aside from learning to be less of a dick, Todoroki has a whole cast of supporting characters and a conflict that's clearly going to have an important role in the climax.

And yeah, Bakugo's ability to be a functioning character is pretty much completely undermined by Deku never engaging with him. Half the cast never shuts up about Sasuke and people repeatedly make decisions that affect the ongoing plot because of his singular emotional importance to them, and the emotional believability of his relationship with Naruto is helped considerably by the fact that they kick each other's asses up and down the valley of the end before the time skip. Meanwhile, Deku (and all the other kids, to boot) no-sells everything Bakugo does, so none of their conflict has any stakes, and no one except bakugo himself is actually interested in it. Compare the hideout raid arc to the rescue Sasuke arc: in Naruto, the younger generation strikes out on their own, nearly get themselves killed, and ultimately fail to save Sasuke. The MHA kids have their rescue immediately undermined by first the pro heroes and then by All Might/OFA, and the emotional focus shifts almost immediately from anything to do with Bakugo to all the end of the symbol of peace stuff. Plus, the villains are crushed and completely buried as a threat, necessitating several arcs to rebuild their credibility.

...I think MHA is retroactively making me like Naruto more?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Arist posted:

The lack of any real pushback from Deku in regards to Bakugo after like, chapter 11 was always incredibly strange. It didn't just make Deku feel like a doormat, it made him seem like a total void of personality, a black hole from which no semi-interesting conflict could possibly escape.

I mean, it fits though. Izuku never had it in him to hate Bakugo that way, because that's not who Deku is.

It's in fact implied to be why Izuku is such a potent force for heroism. He doesn't hate people, not really, he pities them or feels bad for them or tries to understand them. He's "good" in a way that few people are, for good reason because his form of goodness is incredibly selfless to the point where he has to learn not to value the lives of others over himself, repeatedly.

When he does finally push back and explode at Bakugo (vs All Might, their solo fight) it's also all the more meaningful because he normally doesn't do that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lord_Magmar posted:

I mean, it fits though. Izuku never had it in him to hate Bakugo that way, because that's not who Deku is.

It's in fact implied to be why Izuku is such a potent force for heroism. He doesn't hate people, not really, he pities them or feels bad for them or tries to understand them. He's "good" in a way that few people are, for good reason because his form of goodness is incredibly selfless to the point where he has to learn not to value the lives of others over himself, repeatedly.

When he does finally push back and explode at Bakugo (vs All Might, their solo fight) it's also all the more meaningful because he normally doesn't do that.

Cool. It's extremely not-interesting.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Arist posted:

Cool. It's extremely not-interesting.

I disagree, I find it interesting.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Like, if you want to tell a story about someone who's just The Goodest Boy In The World, you still have to meaningfully challenge their perspective so that there's actual drama in whether or not they'll be able to stick to their ideals or whatever. Deku is an extremely boring protagonist because he basically never comes into real conflict with any of the other characters.

And it's not just that Deku doesn't care, it's that nobody seems to care, and even when he does react it's way too late and with no prior buildup that any of it ever really bothered him.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Arist posted:

Like, if you want to tell a story about someone who's just The Goodest Boy In The World, you still have to meaningfully challenge their perspective so that there's actual drama in whether or not they'll be able to stick to their ideals or whatever. It's not just that Deku doesn't care, it's that nobody seems to care, and even when he does react it's way too late and with no prior buildup that any of it ever really bothered him.

That would be the deal with Shigaraki and All For One and Izuku struggling between his desire to literally save everyone (including Shigaraki) and what society wants him to do.

I think the story has done plenty to challenge Izuku's perspective and feelings. Overhaul challenged it, Shigaraki challenges it, Endeavour challenges it, even All Might and All for One challenge it.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

Ya, thats part of what pissed Bakugou off so much. He bullies Deku and then when he slips and falls Deku is the only one to rush to him and ask if he's OK.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Kild posted:

Ya, thats part of what pissed Bakugou off so much. He bullies Deku and then when he slips and falls Deku is the only one to rush to him and ask if he's OK.

Actually Deku asking him if he's okay there is why he started bullying him (if you're talking about the falling off the log into the water thing), because to Bakugo's broken world perspective Izuku is implying that he can help Bakugo even though Bakugo is "so much stronger" than Izuku.

Bakugo literally hates Izuku for something he made up in his head due to his damaged sense of self-worth from the way society treats his quirk.

The real one is that Izuku would rush to save Bakugo from the Sludge Monster even though Bakugo earlier that day told him to kill himself.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Bakugo's friend got nomu-ed so there's that.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

Actually Deku asking him if he's okay there is why he started bullying him (if you're talking about the falling off the log into the water thing), because to Bakugo's broken world perspective Izuku is implying that he can help Bakugo even though Bakugo is "so much stronger" than Izuku.

Bakugo literally hates Izuku for something he made up in his head due to his damaged sense of self-worth from the way society treats his quirk.

The real one is that Izuku would rush to save Bakugo from the Sludge Monster even though Bakugo earlier that day told him to kill himself.

Nah even before that he was being bullied. He had the nickname Deku at that point. This just ramped it up much worse.

Kild fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 6, 2022

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

bobjr posted:

Bakugo's friend got nomu-ed so there's that.

I think it's super weird they never actually did anything with that in the manga, or the fact that AfO's evil scientist minion was also Deku's childhood doctor.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rhonne posted:

I think it's super weird they never actually did anything with that in the manga, or the fact that AfO's evil scientist minion was also Deku's childhood doctor.

I think they deconfirmed that, actually

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Speaking of, it's still extremely funny that Horikoshi initially named him after some hosed up war crimes and immediately went "ah poo poo ah gently caress" and changed it

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Waffleman_ posted:

Honestly I was more mortified by the people who were deluded enough to think Bakugo would become Sasuke than I was at the possibility of Bakugo becoming Sasuke.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The Deku bullying issue is like if Hajime no Ippo was written worse.

Ippo also got bullied a lot. He tried to ignore it, found boxing, became a big deal, and his continued success eventually broke the brains of his old bullies and they begged his forgiveness. At that point Ippo had kinda forgotten the whole thing, if I remember correctly. I may not be, it's been infinity years.

Could have had something similar in this series, but Bakugo maintains a pretty consistent tone from point A to point F. Bakugo was mad, is mad, will be mad, but he's found a moment to apologize in between all that. I like Bakugo, but given that we're now at the supppsed end of the series I'm revisiting all the little bits up to this point and re-evaluating them. The Bakugo problem did not have the build up/pay off it probably could have.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Honestly I was more mortified by the people who were deluded enough to think Bakugo would become Sasuke than I was at the possibility of Bakugo becoming Sasuke.

:same: But leave it to fans to :ohdear: over every possible way a manga could suck even if it makes no sense.

But what if Deku calls Shiggy a slur in the next chapter? :ohdear: :ohdear:

Hell, the thread was named "no one is Sasuke" for a good while.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

The Deku bullying issue is like if Hajime no Ippo was written worse.

Ippo also got bullied a lot. He tried to ignore it, found boxing, became a big deal, and his continued success eventually broke the brains of his old bullies and they begged his forgiveness. At that point Ippo had kinda forgotten the whole thing, if I remember correctly. I may not be, it's been infinity years.

Could have had something similar in this series, but Bakugo maintains a pretty consistent tone from point A to point F. Bakugo was mad, is mad, will be mad, but he's found a moment to apologize in between all that. I like Bakugo, but given that we're now at the supppsed end of the series I'm revisiting all the little bits up to this point and re-evaluating them. The Bakugo problem did not have the build up/pay off it probably could have.

Bakugo's mad, and he'll always be mad, but he's advanced pretty steadily as a person, going from treating everyone else like lovely extras to trusting others to have his back when he gets into trouble (which also requires admitting he can get into trouble he can't solve himself).

The Ippo route, as you describe it, is less about the bullies being characters and more about a revenge fantasy. "Some day I'll be so great they'll beg for me to forgive them!" Doesn't sound terrible, and as a background element it works alright, but it's not good for a character who gets focus.

It sounds less like something that MHA did wrong, and more the same thing you get in MHA fanfics, where people project their own issues with bullying onto Deku, then complain that the manga didn't give them satisfying revenge by proxy.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Waffleman_ posted:

If anything, it's suffering from the Dark Knight Rises/MCU problem where you have your villain be fighting back against flaws in society as a gesture towards shades of gray but because they're the villain, they still need to set up a nuke in a football field and massacre innocents.

TDKR is a very bizarre hodge-podge of outlandish motivations and nonsensical leaps in logic.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
People seem to like the "gooder than good boy" protagonists of kimetsu no Yaiba is any indication, so if you don't you're out of sync with the audience that's buying this stuff.

Ippo handled the bullying pretty well I think because Ippo changes and lives his best life in spite of it, and his bullies grow up. I mean authority figures stopping the bullying is the more "correct" thing that should happen but in the end it's more realistic. Ippo is too good of a kid to snap and thankfully finds a good outlet, and his bullies literally grow up. They start to become adults and correctly realize how dumb their high school poo poo was, and everyone moves on. Umezawa becomes genuine friends with Ippo and is torn up occasionally about how he used to be.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 6, 2022

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

chiasaur11 posted:

Bakugo's mad, and he'll always be mad, but he's advanced pretty steadily as a person, going from treating everyone else like lovely extras to trusting others to have his back when he gets into trouble (which also requires admitting he can get into trouble he can't solve himself).

The Ippo route, as you describe it, is less about the bullies being characters and more about a revenge fantasy. "Some day I'll be so great they'll beg for me to forgive them!" Doesn't sound terrible, and as a background element it works alright, but it's not good for a character who gets focus.

It sounds less like something that MHA did wrong, and more the same thing you get in MHA fanfics, where people project their own issues with bullying onto Deku, then complain that the manga didn't give them satisfying revenge by proxy.

That's fair. And for what it's worth, I feel like how Bakugo interacts with everyone except Deku works pretty well. I just don't think the Deku and Bakugo dynamic was nailed quite right. Though we've already been told the story went a little too hard on Bakugo's treatment of Deku at the beginning of the series, so that probably has something to do with it.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
One big difference between the "overly good" heroes right now is that if someone tried to bully tanjiro from kimetsu no yaiba, tanjiro would probably headbutt them. He's not a character that doesn't stand up for himself.

meanwhile deku will accept any amount of abuse and then be like "thank you sir. you're my best friend. I love you."

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Casey Finnigan posted:

One big difference between the "overly good" heroes right now is that if someone tried to bully tanjiro from kimetsu no yaiba, tanjiro would probably headbutt them. He's not a character that doesn't stand up for himself.

meanwhile deku will accept any amount of abuse and then be like "thank you sir. you're my best friend. I love you."

Well no, he accepted an absurd amount of bullshit from Bakugo, specifically, due to their previous friendship (that was fairly healthy).

Also Tanjiro is still more likely to headbutt you for bullying other people (especially his sister) than himself I think.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
When was their friendship healthy? When they were 2 years old?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, the only time their relationship was healthy was before Bakugo’s quirk came in and it’s just a loooong gap of Bakugo being lovely until Izuku vs Bakugo Round 2

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Staltran posted:

I don't see how. Is it any different than IRL law enforcement agencies assassinating people? (also the Hero Public Safety Commission isn't secret at all, idk where you got that from)

The way it's portrayed is different in the sense that, IIRC, the assassinations in the manga are portrayed as "morally grey" (where the moral dilemma is more about the secrecy and the use of killing) vs the assassinations in reality where law enforcement literally just murders left-wing activists.

A fundamental issue any major/popular series like this will run into is that you can't really do "meaningful societal commentary" in that context. So a series either has to either have uncontroversial moral statements, limit itself to interpersonal drama, or do a bunch of lame and poorly-thought-out social commentary (since a popular series would need to avoid anything with clear real-world analogues that there isn't a popular consensus about).

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
As much as I liked the MVA arc, the more I think about it, the more this manga would've been better if there'd hardly been any meaningful villains at all and just a *lot* more focus on the main cast. If you're going to have that many characters, you might as well turn it into a soap opera, and instead it's been a series that acts like it has a main cast of five and not fifteen.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Tbh I'd rather a series have a clear main cast than pretend the c-listers are actually a-listers. Its okay to have side characters!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I used to think all Shonen needed a villain and then Shokugeki no Soma taught me that I was wrong

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

TheKingofSprings posted:

I used to think all Shonen needed a villain and then Shokugeki no Soma taught me that I was wrong

Which one taught you that, Food Hitler or the DARK CHEFS?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Electric Phantasm posted:

Which one taught you that, Food Hitler or the DARK CHEFS?

incestuous half brother for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I still like that in My Hero Academia we didn't actually finish a full school year.