Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nope

https://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2017/08/valet.html

http://www.word-detective.com/2010/12/forte/

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Either way I can look down on you for your poor grasp of etymology. :smug:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The irony

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not sure how that proves your point since the link you provided

"" posted:

English adopted the noun “valet” in the 16th century from French and Old French. However, the ultimate source is the Old Celtic term wasso- (young man, squire), which has given us “vassal” and “varlet,” according to John Ayto’s Dictionary of Word Origins.

Specifically says that the word 'valet' originated in French. We're not talking about 'varlet'. Wasso, to varlet, to valet is three distinct phases of the word's evolution and the one in question is specifically French. You'll note that the Oxford English Dictionary (which is older, and British focused) lists the pronunciation with a silent t as valid along with the hard t variation. Miriam-Webster, which is focused on American English, also lists both ways.

Strict adherence to linguistic prescription isn't something to be proud of anyways, it's how you end up with people saying African-American Vernacular or rez accents are signs of stupidity.

If linguistics interest you, consider reading Donald Davidson's "A Nice Derangement of Epitaphs".

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 6, 2022

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Is this a social experiment? Are you all actually trying to be Twitter right now?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gaius Marius posted:

They aren't silent

That article literally says the opposite: that "fort", with a silent e, is the technically correct pronunciation. It also says it's irrelevant since most people prefer pronouncing the e with "for-tay" anyway.

As long as a mispronunciation cause confusion by making two words sound identical then I really don't see the issue with any of it. It just makes languages more fun.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
There is no "correct pronunciation", languages are alive and people pronouncing words differently from the norm is fine even if it might annoy some nerds on the internet.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

When some British guy says 'Aluminium' instead of 'Aluminum'

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
But thats how its spelled!
....in My language at least

edit: also relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6lJGD3Q9Qs

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

I had to shut it off after the tenth time of saying attribute wrong. Had enough of YouTubers not being able to pronounce basic words.
You are so strong for finally taking a stance and sharing it with us in this thread. Enough is enough!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

now that we're all on the same page, can i suggest Alliterative, a channel that explores the branching etymologies of our everyday words

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXGubLQcnAg

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i guarantee half the poo poo people say in their native language is mispronounced from the perspective of some formalized standard or other somewhere

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
the actual dumbest poo poo on planet earth to get haughty over lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Dan Olson skipping the L in "Gandalf" made his Bakshi video odd to watch.

Subsequient? I swear I've heard that.

Usually they're saying it like sequence. And yeah I didn't understand why Olson said Gandalf that way.

Sarcopenia posted:

You are so strong for finally taking a stance and sharing it with us in this thread. Enough is enough!

I'm sorry my post upset you like the video upset me.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Kamrat posted:

There is no "correct pronunciation", languages are alive and people pronouncing words differently from the norm is fine even if it might annoy some nerds on the internet.
Certainly the English language is one that is treated as an evolving one by linguists, but that's not true for every langauge.

As an example, and perhaps one of the more (in)famous ones, Académie française approach the French language with a perscriptivist viewpoint, and try to dictate how people should speak and write French, which is why you'll find things like the word curriel which translates to email.
Of course, that doesn't mean that the French people will follow these - and curriel is one of the words that's quite frankly never really caught on anywhere, even by people who're normally very resistant to using English loan-words in French.

Ultimately though, even though there's no correct pronunciation in English, language can be thought of as an aid to understanding and if you're failing to make yourself understood - because you insist on pronouncing words differently from how other people pronounce them, which is your prerogative - then it's not other peoples fault if they don't understand you.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cinw63ulsSg

Related.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

As an example, and perhaps one of the more (in)famous ones, Académie française approach the French language with a perscriptivist viewpoint,

And yet Quebec exists, in spite of the attempts of the aforementioned academy to insist otherwise.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Certainly the English language is one that is treated as an evolving one by linguists, but that's not true for every langauge.

As an example, and perhaps one of the more (in)famous ones, Académie française approach the French language with a perscriptivist viewpoint, and try to dictate how people should speak and write French, which is why you'll find things like the word curriel which translates to email.
Of course, that doesn't mean that the French people will follow these - and curriel is one of the words that's quite frankly never really caught on anywhere, even by people who're normally very resistant to using English loan-words in French.

Ultimately though, even though there's no correct pronunciation in English, language can be thought of as an aid to understanding and if you're failing to make yourself understood - because you insist on pronouncing words differently from how other people pronounce them, which is your prerogative - then it's not other peoples fault if they don't understand you.

courriel is commonly used in Quebec

so is email, pronounced quebecly

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If you want to sound like 17th century backwoods pidgin French look no further than Quebec and the provincial nationalists' raging inferiority complex.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

tracecomplete posted:

And yet Quebec exists, in spite of the attempts of the aforementioned academy to insist otherwise.
Seems like they have opinions on a lot of things.

Jordan7hm posted:

courriel is commonly used in Quebec

so is email, pronounced quebecly
Huh, I didn't know that, that's kinda interesting.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

I know that there are academies that try to dictate how certain languages are to be spoken and written. But no matter how hard they try they cannot control how people actually use language, dialects exist because people pronounce words differently and it will keep on being a thing as long as people use languages to communicate.

People pronouncing words in a "weird" way doesn't really matter, it shows that the language is alive and not stale. It's good to strive to be understood especially when you're communicating with someone from outside your group but it doesn't really matter in the end, people do people things.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

It's courriel, not curriel.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Hel posted:

In general yes, but if they are someone who's spent how many months on a multi hour video, then not doing that minimal work kinda reflects poorly on them. Especially if they are a native speaker.

How is anyone going to realize that they're pronouncing something "wrong" though? Like seriously, how often do you recognize that you've never heard a word spoken? It's not really something that occurs to anyone in most circumstances.

Also:

Kamrat posted:

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Puppy Time posted:

How is anyone going to realize that they're pronouncing something "wrong" though? Like seriously, how often do you recognize that you've never heard a word spoken? It's not really something that occurs to anyone in most circumstances.

Also:

The same way you double check anything else that are central to your video, like facts or statistics , by looking it up and double checking rather than just going by what you might have remembered. If a concept keeps coming up, maybe check how it's pronounced during one of the many months you spend on a video.

But also whenever a word is used in a nerd context(and attribute for numerical stats is very much a nerd context) you really should be happy to look up the real pronunciation, or else you end up speaking about Irish mythology and their Gay Asses like a surprising amount of people.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wow, gently caress ever posting a video on the internet. I'm not double-checking every single word in the script's pronunciation.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

RareAcumen posted:

Wow, gently caress ever posting a video on the internet. I'm not double-checking every single word in the script's pronunciation.

Yeah, gently caress people having expectations on the thing you want them to spend 5+ hours watching.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

Usually they're saying it like sequence. And yeah I didn't understand why Olson said Gandalf that way.

I'm sorry my post upset you like the video upset me.
I really dislike snobs, and as the daughter of an immigrant mother and born poor as dirt "bumpkin" father, I especially dislike your particular brand of snob. I just don't get why people get mad at language like that when you understand what is being said just fine. :shrug:

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Puppy Time posted:

How is anyone going to realize that they're pronouncing something "wrong" though?

I pronounced "vapid" with a long a until I was 33. No idea why.

I'm still not entirely sure how to pronounce "brusque".

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

tracecomplete posted:

I pronounced "vapid" with a long a until I was 33. No idea why.

I'm still not entirely sure how to pronounce "brusque".

All my homies say v-aaa-pid I don't care what the official is

and, it's totally "brisk"

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Straight from the transporter argument to whether words should be pronounced correctly, how blessed

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The Chad Jihad posted:

Straight from the transporter argument to whether words should be pronounced correctly, how blessed

Thread for the kids you absolutely dreaded having to sit near in school

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I still don't know how to read a pronunciation guide and I have no intention of learning any time soon. Getting mad at a dude for saying "attribute" incorrectly is a big lol though

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Malpais Legate posted:

Getting mad at a dude for saying "attribute" incorrectly is a big lol though

nerds on the internet always need a tedious new thing to :qq: about, I guess.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Dan Olson skipping the L in "Gandalf" made his Bakshi video odd to watch.

I would argue those of us over a certain age whose first sound of Gandalf's name was the animated movie (you know, the subject of Dan's video and probably the thing he was watching a lot of) ingrained a lot less pronounced "L".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mkevp17P9s

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

Lord Stimperor posted:

I'm not really following this thread very actively -- why does it have such a low rating? What kind of drama is going on in here?

hey if you were still looking for an answer to this question

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

Hel posted:

Yeah, gently caress people having expectations on the thing you want them to spend 5+ hours watching.

Expecting people to perfectly pronounce everything, all the time, is ridiculous. Everyone makes mistakes occasionally, and we all have blindspots on pronouncing certain words (the whole "I've only ever read it" thing). If you understood what they meant anyway then what's the big deal?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Hel posted:

But also whenever a word is used in a nerd context(and attribute for numerical stats is very much a nerd context) you really should be happy to look up the real pronunciation, or else you end up speaking about Irish mythology and their Gay Asses like a surprising amount of people.
It's pronounced Gay Bulge and you cannot convince me otherwise.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Shnakepup posted:

Expecting people to perfectly pronounce everything, all the time, is ridiculous. Everyone makes mistakes occasionally, and we all have blindspots on pronouncing certain words (the whole "I've only ever read it" thing). If you understood what they meant anyway then what's the big deal?

Yes but have you considered that if you acted like a rational human being you wouldn't be able to complain about dumb tedious bullshit on these, the Something Awful Forums???

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

attribute is commonly pronounced both ways in reference to video game stats and being a pedant about which syllable you prefer the stress to be on online isn't going to change that

personally i pronounce attribute with the stress on the third syllable, softening the doubled t's to be more of a /θ/ sound, and making the i sound more like a /ə/, so that i can really emphasize the butte

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lmao