Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What i did to my bike today was finally ride it.

Turns out the Goldwing is perfectly camouflaged for extremely brown Wisconsin Springtime.

I just spotted the forward footrests. Are they actually usable? They look extremely wide apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

knox_harrington posted:

I just spotted the forward footrests. Are they actually usable? They look extremely wide apart.
Ahem:

TotalLossBrain posted:

I just ordered a rear rack + box for it, too. What else am I missing?

Slavvy posted:

Heated grips
Saddlebags
Crash bars
Highway pegs even if they don't work
Spotlights bolted to the crash bars

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
The tenere fired up with its new bore and 2nd oversize piston. Woot.

Regarding oil change Vs new piston. Is there a need and how soon should you change the oil (and filter?)?
I mean, it's not like the entire engine has wear parts that are unknown to each other, "only" piston, rings, sidewall?

And ofc I installed my hepco side racks now that the PO homebrew slip on is not blocking it..

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'd treat it like a brand new engine so limit load and rpm, change the oil after a short interval.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Lol

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Slavvy posted:

I'd treat it like a brand new engine so limit load and rpm, change the oil after a short interval.

Will do, thanks :)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

knox_harrington posted:

They are fairly wide apart because they’re on the ends of the cylinders of a boxer engine

But they work fine, they’re adjustable fore and aft in the crash bars for shorter or longer legs

Fun fact, I used to have floorboard highway pegs which were nice because I could also flip them out and use them to keep wind off my legs when it was cold out.

But then, one day one straight up just fell off while I had my feet on them, sending me across a lane of freeway traffic at 75mph. Bolt just up and snapped off.

Since floorboards are (or were) weirdly expensive on eBay, I pulled the passenger pegs off my RV90 (lmao at having a passenger on that) and put them in as highway pegs on the goldwing

So they work fine, but they aren’t as useful as the floorboards

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 6, 2022

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Truly the la-z-boy recliner of motorcycles

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

This picture smells like cigarettes and beer

Better than it’s original scent of “mouse piss”

I gave this drat bike so many vinegar baths in my driveway

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Better than it’s original scent of “mouse piss”

I gave this drat bike so many vinegar baths in my driveway

my lawnmower has been stashed in a slowly disintegrating plywood shed for over a year, guarantee there's a giant loving mouse nest under the engine cowl and I'll have to replace coil wires and scrub 3+ generations' worth of mouse piss and turds out of there. At least I can just pressure wash it - hard to do that with GW plastics without taking the whole drat bike apart

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

The PO of my T120 had installed a huge (not Aspencade huge) Madstad windscreen, which was better than nothing but put my head in the turbulence. I lowered it as much as it would go, it was better, but my head still wasn't quite in clean air and the screen had to be tilted back at an absurd angle pointed unsettlingly at my throat so that two of the bolts didn't scratch the instrument cluster's back (further).

So today after round 2 I got the Triumph Long Haul windscreen he gave me installed properly, took a spin up the coast and it's :discourse:. No wind-press on my chest at 75mph, and my head's above the turbulence, if only just. I now see that those little bikini windscreens/fairings aren't necessarily pointless, smaller might be even better, but this is great. Since this bike was presumably sold to him with the Triumph screen installed, it also served as a backtrace of PO shenanagins:

-PO managed to take a bite out of pretty much every fastener he touched somewhere
-Minor gouges in the back of the instrument panel from the Madstad bolts
-The USB port at the battery is busted in a way I'm pretty sure I haven't had a chance to do, fixing that's next.

Nothing major, and I'm really glad he kept and gave me most of the parts I needed. The windscreen had a couple upper yoke bolts I had to buy (zinc plated this time), and normally has some black trim I can't say I'd have missed.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 7, 2022

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I've done nothing to my ride lately since winter came back, but I received these:

I haven't found too many JIS fasteners on my bike yet but there are some, and I've been looking for a screwdriver set that doesn't cost a fortune for a good while. They're rare and hard to come by in my part of the world. Hopefully these are good enough for my needs.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
You will find they're worth it. Especially if you're dealing with carbs.

I found JIS screws taking apart a couple of old synths and was glad to have the proper drivers.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I stuck a new battery in my GL1100 that I’ve been neglecting like an rear end in a top hat for 18 months and it fired and idled for a few minutes, which is much much more than I expected of it so I guess I get to pull some carbs and clean them as penance for a) not doing this when I bought the thing for $600 and b) not properly storing it right last time

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I threw an MTL-L fuel air ratio gauge and O2 sensor on the 125cc china bike. It runs fine, a bit dirty. I may throw in a Daytona Anima or Zs190 engine.

Just thought a gauge would be cool. The carb I tuned by feel isn't too off. It's running pretty rich on idle, like 10:1 fuel to air on idle, closer to 14 on throttle.

I went down a couple sizes on the idle, it is looking better. I think I need to adjust the needle again to accommodate as the throttle feels laggy now, lean situation on opening it.

It's not mounted yet so I can't ride around with it, haha. Had to build a bunch of wire harnesses for it.

I may or may not do an EFI conversion with speeduino or microsquirt.

It's kinda fun to play with. I'll take a video when it's mounted. Electronics are cool.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I threw an MTL-L fuel air ratio gauge and O2 sensor on the 125cc china bike. It runs fine, a bit dirty. I may throw in a Daytona Anima or Zs190 engine.

Just thought a gauge would be cool. The carb I tuned by feel isn't too off. It's running pretty rich on idle, like 10:1 fuel to air on idle, closer to 14 on throttle.

I went down a couple sizes on the idle, it is looking better. I think I need to adjust the needle again to accommodate as the throttle feels laggy now, lean situation on opening it.

It's not mounted yet so I can't ride around with it, haha. Had to build a bunch of wire harnesses for it.

I may or may not do an EFI conversion with speeduino or microsquirt.

It's kinda fun to play with. I'll take a video when it's mounted. Electronics are cool.

Fun fact: 14.7:1 is something that only exists in classrooms and most 'happy' engines are in the high 13's on WOT, and like 12 at idle, at least from what I've seen. Basically you don't target a certain AFR number in advance, you find the AFR number that gives the best running and then try to attain that.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Slavvy posted:

Fun fact: 14.7:1 is something that only exists in classrooms and most 'happy' engines are in the high 13's on WOT, and like 12 at idle, at least from what I've seen. Basically you don't target a certain AFR number in advance, you find the AFR number that gives the best running and then try to attain that.

Good to know. I am learning. I got a throttle body with seat for a fuel injector, tps sensor, and port for a map sensor coming from China for eventually messing with EFI. It'll fit the Daytona engine too if I get one.
The gauge can feed O2 readings to speeduino. Crank has a hall sensor on it, one event per rotation lol. Guess it's enough for a cheap CDI driven spark. Not sure how I am going to control fuel pressure\pwm on a fuel pump yet.

At this point it's all just learning. If I ever put in the Anima\ZS190 engine it'd be hilarious to have a little nitrous tank and speeduino can accommodate.

Guessing a lack of real sensors for cam\crank angle means I can't really ever benefit from like delaying the spark and using higher octane fuel.

Probably can't get anything out of EFI for these engines other than learning.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You certainly won't gain any performance, you could probably improve the economy and possibly responsiveness depending on how big a TB you get etc.

You shouldn't need to control fuel pressure, every bike I've seen has had a mechanical pressure regulator either on the fuel rail or inside the fuel pump housing, they all run like 40psi and you just do everything with injector pulse duration.

You can't benefit from using higher octane fuel because the benefit is knock resistance and that engine won't have the compression to make that a problem at all I don't think.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I am trying to figure out the pressure regulation. Tanks that have an internal valve don't need a return line. Mine does not have a valve. This is I think what is most commonly seen commercially. The pump runs full speed but the volume it will pump is controlled inside the tank.

External fuel pressure regulators usually need a return line. I'd have to add one to the tank. That means pulling a bunch of fairings off and probably welding or brazing one after draining the tank. It also makes a lot of vapors while running and isn't done much anymore.

You can do PWM on the fuel pump off the TPI or MAP. It's seen in high end cars. It also saves energy, in this case probably .05 HP worth of energy lowering power use on the fuel pump. People are abusing speeduinos variable valve timing tables for pwm control of fuel pumps off of map or tps.

You can block off a return line on a pump or route it to the in port which can cause vapor lock issues and overworks the pump.

Would be cool if I could find a pump that did its own regulation somehow.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 11, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I guarantee your pump has a pressure regulator in the housing inside the tank. I don't know of any bike that controls the fuel pump with PWM; at an automotive corporate training course a very long time ago I was told that they only started doing it to reduce pump noise in the car, it doesn't gain you anything.

If you think reducing fuel pump electrical load will affect your performance, I've got a lifted tank to sell you. Your pump does not take 400 watts to run, which is roughly what 0.5 horsepower works out to.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 12, 2022

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
.05, aka closer to 40 watts, and it's currently carb driven so nothing is in the tank! It'll definitely be a project.
Not a ton of power draw, but without a return line or in tank regulator, you will be making the pump fight itself. PWM can be a electrical solution to a mechanical issue is what I am saying. No need for it to be done commercially. Proprietary in tank regulators do fine.

People are doing it for retrofits on open source EFI kits for cars and bikes as an OK solution.

If you strongly think it won't work, I'll maybe look at adding a return line.

Edit: To be clear, this is not to meter fuel. That is done with injector duty cycle. It is to slow the pump once it hits rated pressures, and keep it at the right pressure without a physical valve doing it, just a pressure sensor. There's no commercial advantage to it that I know of. Just allows aftermarket efi conversion easier - no tank mods, no return lines. Electronic hardware to do it is cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/GlowShift-Pressure-Barbed-T-Fitting-Adapter/dp/B01N40ABAX
You'd throw something like this downstream of the fuel pump, put an analog pressure sensor in there that would normally go on a rail. Hook up it up to an adc pin on a microcontroller, pwm control with an h bridge to keep the line at the psi needed. When idle or the bike is off, the pump can be slowed down to reduce wear\heat\avoid problems of a returnless system with no physical pressure regulators.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 12, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Riiiight now I actually get what's going on, for some reason I got confused and thought you were making an efi thing even more efi for some reason.

What you're doing makes perfect sense and the only thing that would put me off is it being fiddly and computerized and, well, those are the reasons my bandit hasn't run for three years. If you're confident you can do it I don't see why not.

How are you going to run the mapping? Just alpha-n off the tps, or are you going to try to do the map-tps handover at a certain rpm/tp? Switching to the latter made a noticeable rideability improvement for my B12 but I feel like the more snappy response you get from just running off of the TPS would suit a small bike better.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I am going to generate a 16x16 map off a calculator online that takes engine characteristics like peak torque\rpm, typical idle air pressure, etc. Pray the bike runs. Then watch YouTube videos on tuning without a dyno.

Looks like tunerstudio\speeduino can run off tps only. Might honestly not be a bad idea for a tiny engine.

The throttle body has a hose for a map sensor instead of being at the sensor. The speeduino ecu I am looking at has the map sensor on board that you run a hose to.

The thought is coming up with a parts list of easy to obtain stuff I can retrofit on any bike and actually have control over the electronics, something so many new bikes are going a bit crazy with.

Honestly sort of excited to port this to a better crate engine eventually. I am a fan of how the Chinese keep turning stuff into generic technology. Like the gy6 and honda crf50 engine design. It sorta looks like they are turning Yamaha yzf r15 into generic efi. 🤣

Edit: Looks like speeduino can switch fuel maps on a condition like engine rpm and then define a load source
https://wiki.speeduino.com/en/configuration/VE_table

I can't wait to play with this ha.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Apr 12, 2022

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
This sounds like so much fun and another reason I want a beater bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I am going to generate a 16x16 map off a calculator online that takes engine characteristics like peak torque\rpm, typical idle air pressure, etc. Pray the bike runs. Then watch YouTube videos on tuning without a dyno.

Looks like tunerstudio\speeduino can run off tps only. Might honestly not be a bad idea for a tiny engine.

The throttle body has a hose for a map sensor instead of being at the sensor. The speeduino ecu I am looking at has the map sensor on board that you run a hose to.

The thought is coming up with a parts list of easy to obtain stuff I can retrofit on any bike and actually have control over the electronics, something so many new bikes are going a bit crazy with.

Honestly sort of excited to port this to a better crate engine eventually. I am a fan of how the Chinese keep turning stuff into generic technology. Like the gy6 and honda crf50 engine design. It sorta looks like they are turning Yamaha yzf r15 into generic efi. 🤣

Edit: Looks like speeduino can switch fuel maps on a condition like engine rpm and then define a load source
https://wiki.speeduino.com/en/configuration/VE_table

I can't wait to play with this ha.

I've found tps only gives you a really snappy response like a flat slide. The map smooths things out, makes it easier to putter around. But I'm doing this with a microsquirt and I'm not qualified to know the qualitative differences in the ways they hand over between map and tps.

I'd be really interested to see the kind of gains possible on an 80's pump lubricated two stroke using a standalone ECU and staged injectors.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Threw a new battery into the ninja and buttoned it up. Was going to move it to the garage from the shed but I still have a post-winter disaster to clean up in there before I can safely park a bike. Flipping the ignition and hearing it roar to life felt real good, can’t lie :unsmith:

Think I need to adjust the DRZ chain a little looser. Two fingers right now, maybe generously adding a baby finger. I don’t remember how I had it set up when I was happy with it so I guess I’m just going to fall down a little research hole for the next few hours but ultimately just knock it one notch looser on the clamshell adjusters and see where I end up. I’m not sure it’s a problem where it is other than “it seems tight” compared to this supposed 3 finger rule. For all I know I’ll knock the adjuster down one notch and I’ll be annoyed by a loose sloppy chain. Fun times in micromanagement!

I know I’m a big anxious mess about the DRZ, but at the end of the day I hope I get SOME credit for pushing down every urge to be anxious about the clacking noises my DRZ makes because, gently caress, compared to my Ninja (which itself has a cruddy tone) it sounds like it’s on the verge of self destructing. Which I’ve been told is on par so I’m going to put my plugs in and crank a podcast as I brapp down the street :cool:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 13, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slappy valves are happy valves

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Yesterday I convinced myself that my MT was vibrating way more than usual and something terrible must be happening to the engine :shrug:

I'll do an oil change, that will make me feel better.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

some kinda jackal posted:

Threw a new battery into the ninja and buttoned it up. Was going to move it to the garage from the shed but I still have a post-winter disaster to clean up in there before I can safely park a bike. Flipping the ignition and hearing it roar to life felt real good, can’t lie :unsmith:

Think I need to adjust the DRZ chain a little looser. Two fingers right now, maybe generously adding a baby finger. I don’t remember how I had it set up when I was happy with it so I guess I’m just going to fall down a little research hole for the next few hours but ultimately just knock it one notch looser on the clamshell adjusters and see where I end up. I’m not sure it’s a problem where it is other than “it seems tight” compared to this supposed 3 finger rule. For all I know I’ll knock the adjuster down one notch and I’ll be annoyed by a loose sloppy chain. Fun times in micromanagement!

I know I’m a big anxious mess about the DRZ, but at the end of the day I hope I get SOME credit for pushing down every urge to be anxious about the clacking noises my DRZ makes because, gently caress, compared to my Ninja (which itself has a cruddy tone) it sounds like it’s on the verge of self destructing. Which I’ve been told is on par so I’m going to put my plugs in and crank a podcast as I brapp down the street :cool:

It was the two finger rule! Two fingers! There was never three fingers!!!

Turn the wheel through several revolutions when you're checking chain tension, unless everything is brand new it won't be the same tension all the way around, you need to find the tight spot and set it there.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Two fingers, three fingers, maybe I can fit a whole fist in there, it’s a party all the way down.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

What if I measure chain slack with my dick

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well I guess it depends on whether you’re exaggerating or not.

N-no, there must be some other reason the chain is sawing through my swingarm, honest :ohdear:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

What if I measure chain slack with my dick

directions unclear dick caught in sprocket

N-no, there must be some other reason the chain is sawing through my swingarm, honest :ohdear:

chain slider hogged out?
Chain rollers missing(if it had them)?

usually heroically tight will blow the bearing in the wheel hub or the one directly behind the transmission sprocket.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:lol:

cursedshitbox posted:

usually heroically tight will blow the bearing in the wheel hub or the one directly behind the transmission sprocket.

:thejoke:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah don't get me wrong, at this point I'm riding the bike and not just looking for a reason to "tinker" with it for the sake of tinkering; I just honestly thought I remember the rule being 3 fingers measured with some suspension compression which CASUALLY seemed to line up with a handful of google results for "chain tension fingers drz400" (or whatever I typed) but I've done literally zero active reading on it outside of googling and casually mentioning it here.

I'm just going to search through my own posts here until I find the "hey I adjusted my chain" because at that point I was happy with it, and hopefully I actually articulated where the adjusters were set since it's the same chain I had on before.

My "I'm bored and it's raining" project will be to finish splitting the other engine and waiting for a cheap clutch side engine case to show up on ebay. That should keep me from doing any more "fun projects" on the working DRZ. May be a good excuse to learn how to pull and install bearings some more.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Apr 13, 2022

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
you need a ktm to scratch this itch you're exhibiting.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Started working on the $0 TW200 I got. Re-did some mouse-chewed wiring, tossed in a battery, and it cranked right away.

Next step is cleaning the carb and seeing if the fuel tank holds liquids. I was told it has a pinhole leak so I might flapper wheel the seams and hit it with steel stik just to get it watertight. It’s meant to be a woods bike so I care 0% how it looks and I’m not spending $400 on a tank for it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

you need a ktm to scratch this itch you're exhibiting.

I'm not sure more bikes is the answer but I will never say no to more bikes :3:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

more bikes is ALWAYS the answer, but sometimes "more bikes that are also KTMs" is not necessarily the answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm not sure more bikes is the answer but I will never say no to more bikes :3:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

more bikes is ALWAYS the answer, but sometimes "more bikes that are also KTMs" is not necessarily the answer

A ktm isn't more bikes it's just more work