Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I'm seeing reports he was struck by a train?

e: trains can't fail, they can only be failed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

God Hole posted:

I'm seeing reports he was struck by a train?

this thread's 9/11: cyclist hit by train

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

God Hole posted:

love when I'm going like 5 mph over the speed limit on a bicycle and some rear end in a top hat still overtakes me lol

love when i approach a red light and a driver behind me flips out and swerves into oncoming traffic only to have to slam on the brakes and get stuck on the wrong side of the street next to me, unable to merge back onto the right side because we're both at the light now. i truly actually love it

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Average speed cameras would be good for enforcing speed limits, but good luck getting Americans to accept any kind of automated enforcement.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

all that streetside parking in front of single-family homes, every single one with driveways is pretty hosed up.

I hate street parking so much

it drives me nuts. i live in a neighborhood where all the houses have ample driveways and the buildings have huge lots and the sides of the street are still absolutely clogged with cars. two guys just have their trucks and boats on trailers parked in the street all the time.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Polo-Rican posted:

In america, I don't think any lane / paint measures will succeed in calming traffic. we've grown too sociopathic as a society, nobody will slow down unless ~actually forced to~ by speed bumps, obstacles, curb cutouts, etc.

That's the big thing that drives me nuts about our cargo cult approach to modern traffic road design.

We see one superficial feature like advisory lanes and slap it on a street because "works in the Netherlands!" without also realizing that the Netherlands uses them in conjunction with all sorts of other physical traffic calmin measures like chicanes, narrow streets, and level crossing sidewalks.

We need to change our whole design strategy but instead we just do little one-off special projects here and there and wonder why we don't get the same benefits.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

leftist heap posted:

it drives me nuts. i live in a neighborhood where all the houses have ample driveways and the buildings have huge lots and the sides of the street are still absolutely clogged with cars. two guys just have their trucks and boats on trailers parked in the street all the time.

Their garages are likely full of hoarded junk or converted into another room.

This was especially great when only one side of the street was available for parking at my old house but everyone still just used street parking.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

getting merked by a train while bike riding takes some doing

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Sphyre posted:

getting merked by a train while bike riding takes some doing

got stuck at a train crossing once with another cyclist and apparently there was something going on further up the tracks because the train came to a dead stop for a few minutes.

the other cyclist got fed up with waiting so he went under the barricade and was in the middle of hopping over one of the junctions between cars when the train started moving again. he lost his balance and almost ended up under the wheels lol he made it through! and managed to save himself about 45 seconds of waiting. i caught him at the next stop sign

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

It has been a firm policy of mine to not play games at train crossings. I believe this has served me well.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Respect trains

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

I lived in a town where the train cut right through the built up area with loads of level crossings. after a while you do start having insane thoughts about jumping the barrier and running across

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
you, carbrained: posting in the i hate cars thread about how you wish everyone would just drive better! if we had gps limiters the cars wouldnt be able to go over 65 everything would be fine!
everyone else, trainpilled: we should install bombs in the cars and if someone enters them it detonates, killing them and slagging the car instantly

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Minera posted:

you, carbrained: posting in the i hate cars thread about how you wish everyone would just drive better! if we had gps limiters the cars wouldnt be able to go over 65 everything would be fine!
everyone else, trainpilled: we should install bombs in the cars and if someone enters them it detonates, killing them and slagging the car instantly

sounds great tbh but I don't know how to even begin to get away with something like that

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

sounds great tbh but I don't know how to even begin to get away with something like that

On a bike

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Minera posted:

we do not need to kill anyone when this beautiful technology already exists:

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

vyelkin posted:

would

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://www.ajc.com/politics/georgi...RE3OMGZ6YPRRVY/

quote:

Delivery robots may be coming to your neighborhood as e-commerce expands, and state lawmakers are trying to prepare the way.

Companies such as Amazon and Federal Express already are testing robots that deliver packages to your home. The Georgia House of Representatives on Monday gave final approval to a bill that would establish some basic rules for “personal delivery devices.”

House Bill 1009 defines such devices as automated cargo transport systems weighing up to 500 pounds unloaded and 600 pounds loaded. It would ban the devices from limited-access highways with speed limits over 45 mph, but it would allow them on bike and pedestrian paths.

The bill also would set speed limits (20 mph on roads, bike lanes and shoulders and 4 mph on sidewalks or paths), establish safety standards (they must have brakes and lights) and require them to be monitored by someone who is capable controlling them at any time. It specifies that the owner of the device would be responsible for any violations, and it would require them to have $250,000 in liability insurance.

Georgia would become the 21st state to authorize personal delivery devices. At a recent hearing, Rep. Todd Jones, R-Cumming, the bill’s sponsor, said he believes delivery robots will evolve rapidly in coming years.

“It’s not every day where we, as the General Assembly, have an opportunity to look into the future like this,” Jones said.

Not everyone is a fan of the legislation. HB 1009 would allow local governments to ban delivery robots on sidewalks, bike lanes and paths — but only at night. Bicycle and trail advocates say local governments should be able to ban the devices in certain places during daylight hours.

“Local citizens and their governments built those sidewalks, bike lanes and multiuse paths,” said Duane Ford, chair of Newton Trails Inc. “They should get to determine what sort of users can be on the trail and when.”

The bill now awaits the signature of Gov. Brian Kemp.

This is literally what roads are for. If I have to start competing with these loving things I am going to destroy Amazon's property.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

This is literally what roads are for. If I have to start competing with these loving things I am going to destroy Amazon's property.

wow, just openly fantasizing about committing Robophobic hate crimes. mods??

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

In positive news though someone hit a baseball through a Tesla's windshield

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

In positive news though someone hit a baseball through a Tesla's windshield

:toot: that totals the tesla, right?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It''s just weird that we don't even have bike infrastructure and yet we have to authorize fantasy delivery drones to use bike infrastructure?

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

Clark Nova posted:

:toot: that totals the tesla, right?

bricked for six months :blessed:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Now who's the car-brain

lol, but anyway I've seen food robots rolling around the sidewalk here in Santa Monica and I'm honestly amazed they even get them back at the end of the day. They just putter along on the sidewalk. For whatever reason nobody's decided to just kick them over or ram them with a car or paint graffiti on them.

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat

Minera posted:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

vyelkin posted:

:shlick:

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Fitzy Fitz posted:

If I have to start competing with these loving things I am going to destroy Amazon's property.

in a lot of ways the tech industry has already co-opted bike infrastructure in order to boost delivery speeds. if you bike around nyc you're now competing with countless dudes on scooters and throttled ebikes. not to mention the 15-minute delivery companies, which could not exist without abusing bike lane infrastructure.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Polo-Rican posted:

in a lot of ways the tech industry has already co-opted bike infrastructure in order to boost delivery speeds. if you bike around nyc you're now competing with countless dudes on scooters and throttled ebikes. not to mention the 15-minute delivery companies, which could not exist without abusing bike lane infrastructure.
This is sort of a tangent, but it's a good article and touches on the ridiculous things gig economy companies started doing when they disovered ebikes make delivery riders go fast.

https://www.theverge.com/22667600/delivery-workers-seamless-uber-relay-new-york-electric-bikes-apps

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Bike delivery is cool. Too bad we don't have the infra for it.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

excuse me, this is the car thread, not the space travel thread

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Polo-Rican posted:

At least e bikes and scooters doing deliveries don't damage bike infrastructure and you're not that likely to get killed by them

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

kill all the robots

also cars are robots

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

kill all the humans and replace them with robots

the robots get paid a marginal wage and are given cars to drive to work. their wages are only enough for the gas.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

finally moving this weekend, dropping my commute to a mere 5 minute/4 mile drive. dangerously close to a highway so i get to become more leadbrained and asthmalunged but it's better than becoming mentally deranged from a 45 minute commute every morning. there's not a great bike route available but it's like, actually an option I'd spring for now over a new car when my truck eventually breaks down.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Playing workers and resources but never allowing my citizens to have private automobiles.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

stay safe safety trolley

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Better go for a 9pm mud season drive after my pandemic choral practice.

https://vtdigger.org/2022/04/07/mud-season-nightmare-a-vpr-host-was-stranded-for-seven-hours-on-a-rural-road-she-barely-survived/

quote:

Something was hanging out of the car window.

It was Radtke. She was wrapped in a dirty sleeping bag. She had one leg stuck through the driver’s side window of her car, lodged beneath the steering wheel. Her face, buried in the mud, was obscured.

honestly just horrifying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/RHoogenboom/status/1512175297197658115?s=20&t=Az__X1iJHVaR6mR6eZPihg