Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

BBC world service radio just had a long segment about climate change where they concluded that the best solution for the future is to just move to Canada or Norway. This was followed by a long segment about how someone stole Darwin's journals and they went into every boring loving detail about the condition of the journals like it was the crime of the century and a horrible tragedy for all of humanity. Could you even imagine it? Someone stealing an item from the Cambridge University Museum? ABSOLUTE TRAGEDY

I love the BBC so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

TeenageArchipelago posted:

humanity is winning the war on the wasps that hit your arm and sting you when you are just trying to hang your arm out the window while you're driving

There's been a yellowjacket napping in the corner of my office window for most of the past two days so the victory is far from complete

I really don't know how to direct this thing out the window when I open it, it only seems to spend about thirty seconds out of every 24 hours exploring based on observations so far

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Going to be funny when algae makes the Chicago River green forever

Nothing's forever.

Not even Chicago.

Or rivers, since they need clouds for the rain.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
*looking around furtively*

You guys wanna crack and ping a bit? I remember when I was a lad, not only did I have to wash the windshield and the headlights every time we stopped at the gas station but there was a presence at the gas station, at every gas station - ominous, lurking anywhere food was served publicly.

But don't be fooled into thinking this was a silent menace because I'm talking about parking lot gulls, gently caress there were so many of them, screeching constantly and making GBS threads on your car and stealing food. Now there's a handful here and there, near dumps mostly.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

cant wait to need to wipe microplastics off of my windshield after a long drive

nice, enjoy the road trip this weekend

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Car Hater posted:

You guys wanna crack and ping a bit? I remember when I was a lad, not only did I have to wash the windshield and the headlights every time we stopped at the gas station but there was a presence at the gas station, at every gas station - ominous, lurking anywhere food was served publicly.

But don't be fooled into thinking this was a silent menace because I'm talking about parking lot gulls, gently caress there were so many of them, screeching constantly and making GBS threads on your car and stealing food. Now there's a handful here and there, near dumps mostly.

I've had some pretty big dumps, never seen no gulls

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Car Hater posted:

There used to be flocks and flocks of ravens on my family's farm and they'd wake you up without fail at about 6am when they landed on the roof and started screaming at each other. Dozens of the drat things.

These days you can sleep in until 9am and you can find maybe two or three around the place in total

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

silicone thrills posted:

I have to take joy where I can - rabid foxes are biting congress people in DC.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/capitol-hill-fox-killed_n_624dc856e4b007d3845e3e16

Im sad the fox had to be put down

I'm glad it got put down. dying of rabies loving sucks

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Stereotype posted:

honolulu banned plastic bags too and charges 5c for even paper bags (or the super thick plastic ones that are still allowed) and honestly it dramatically cut down on the amount of pointless bag waste everywhere. they just banned plastic utensils for takeout too.
how recently? i got popeye's last week and got plasticware with it

quote:

How it works: Beginning on January 1, 2021, food vendors will be banned from providing plasticware, including utensils, straws, foam plates, cups, and food containers. In January 2022, additional plastic food ware will be included and all other businesses will also have to adhere to the policy.
lmao

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

FFT posted:

how recently? i got popeye's last week and got plasticware with it

lmao

lol yeah sounds like Popeyes is breaking the law

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

i see 100 posts so i assume you all have seen this

https://twitter.com/BusinessInsider/status/1511821437862043653

if not: lol, the treats are drying up

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Cup Runneth Over posted:

i see 100 posts so i assume you all have seen this

https://twitter.com/BusinessInsider/status/1511821437862043653

if not: lol, the treats are drying up

the only thing i saw was egg prices going up so this is new horrifying info to me

this is the egg news because i don't remember if i saw it here or somewhere else:

https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/1511134532820480004?t=u99ecsjWKB-vmdMf16cxnA&s=19

nothing like a huge price hike on cheap protein to get people feeling spicy

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.
Eggs jumped from about $1.75-$1.99/dozen to literally $2.99/dozen here in Northeast Ohio in like, a 3 week period. I'm upset about it.

eat the eggs smash mouth

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

tiberion02 posted:

eat the eggs smash mouth

the eggs getting overseasoned and ruined by guy fieri is an underappreciated part of the story. as is the goon in the crowd who devoured them anyway once smash mouth had taken a few bites

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The Protagonist posted:

I remember the birds just teeming in my backyard as a kid, my favorite was the pileated woodpecker. Haven't seen one when visiting out there in years :(

The birds and the bugs are noticeably thinned out. Still a fair amount of hummingbirds were still showing up to the feeders last spring, cute spastic lil things, you'd think one of them would be guaranteed to just lance another one straight through from time to time

Current concentrations of pesticides and other chemicals and plastics are able to kill most living animals birds and smaller. I wonder what kind of concentrations we need to be effectively able to weed out humans?

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
Lament missing avian organisms

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The cheap pasta in the grocery store went from $1/bag to $2/bag, "on sale from $2.50". Almost everything in the store is "on sale" because that's how they raise prices. All this as I read an article saying no, putting fertilizer sanctions on the world's largest wheat exporter will not affect food prices.

Chamale has issued a correction as of 06:54 on Apr 7, 2022

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

Load microplastic, all orifices

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

LionArcher posted:

How are here mods in D&D so lovely? I just got told one was cornered for my mental health because I’m realistic that we won’t turn this round because it’s nihilism. Lol

Liberal morons arguing obsessively, laughable moderator attempts oversight

Limited mental acuity obvious

kyojin has issued a correction as of 07:34 on Apr 7, 2022

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

Lost momentary amusement outdoors

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Large mammal annihilation occupation

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

Legislators meander along oblivious

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

kyojin posted:

Load microplastic, all orifices

hell yeah, new Tane beta rocks

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Jesus christ I don't know how anyone reads that thread.

Commie gir is actively horrible for mental health. One of the most important things I've learned in my struggle with treatment resistant depression and therapy and this loving hell world is how important acceptance is for things I cannot change. I can't make governments be better. I can't fix this poo poo. I tried and all it got me was wanting to step in front of a bus every time whatever initiative I threw my whole self into failed. All I can do is plant my garden and try to help my local bugs and birds by giving them more habitat. I cannot internalize any climate poo poo because it is truly a recipe for committing suicide.

Seriously gently caress that guy. He's a loving rear end in a top hat. He shouldn't be giving advice to anyone.

Also gently caress that guy who said wanting lock downs to stop covid is hysteria. gently caress that whole forum. I can't believe people make qcs whine posts about cspam when that cesspool exists.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

Ihmemies posted:

Current concentrations of pesticides and other chemicals and plastics are able to kill most living animals birds and smaller. I wonder what kind of concentrations we need to be effectively able to weed out humans?

Lethal molecule aggregation overdue

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://twitter.com/FatherlyHQ/status/1511357144586768391

finding out

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
CommieGIR shouldn't be a mod, yes

Epic invader zim robot but what if he's a communist XDdd name should be enough to get him banned imo

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

lo! my bdelloid's overweight!

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Flowers For Algeria posted:

drat that guy got mad ropes

bdellroids

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

silicone thrills posted:

One of the most important things I've learned in my struggle with treatment resistant depression and therapy and this loving hell world is how important acceptance is for things I cannot change. I can't make governments be better. I can't fix this poo poo. I tried and all it got me was wanting to step in front of a bus every time whatever initiative I threw my whole self into failed. All I can do is plant my garden and try to help my local bugs and birds by giving them more habitat. I cannot internalize any climate poo poo because it is truly a recipe for committing suicide.

the whiplash is only going to get worse as some people demand the toxic positivity and safety of a comforting lie to themselves and then get faced with worse and worse news as they go right back to the toxic positivity even harder than before the worse the news gets.

The only reason people are panicking and upset about the clear indications the dreams of a 1.5c world are officially dead is because they chose to ignore that we knew we were passing that like 10 years ago. 1.5c was a literal joke of a goal that can not even be classified as scientific and look how many people still convinced themselves to believe it. We knew in the mid 2000s that we were headed for 2-2.5 which is why I assume the now obliterated copeline sat at 1.5 to give them a decade or so of peace of mind.

Someone looks at all of this data and chooses the people telling them the nicest story to hinge their mental health and sense of wellbeing on so when 1.5c dies and it turns out we aren't actually getting the Disney version of climate change where bluebirds flutter around our world leaders singing at a climate summit they don't handle it well.

worse news, toxic positivity, worse news, toxic positivity, worse news, toxic positivity, worse news

The people looking at this newest development and choosing to buy themselves another 10 years or so of uncomfortable peace by desperately pretending that 2c is an achievable limit and convincing themselves 1.9c is acceptable will only melt down twice as hard when the optimistic bedrock gets raised to 2.1. Okay that will be bad but at least it won't be 2.5c ...2.5 is the REALLY BAD one that we can still avoid we aren't there yet...... okay it's 2.6c but 3c.....3 is the one we can not pass under any circumstances. We've learned our lesson and have time now. There is no way we will breach 3c. I am hinging all of my mental wellbeing on 3c.

It probably doesn't help that due to the nature of climate change this stuff is accelerating. Feedback loops, delayed emissions and compound carbon are going to be changing this conversation a lot faster than people think. At some point something has to give and if you choose to be delusional and optimistic to not feel bad in the short term it'll probably be your brain that shatters into a million pieces. Anyone jumping from 1.5c to "Carbon Neutral by 2050" is going to detonate when models can no longer be twisted into cope and it becomes scientific fact it was "Carbon Neutral by 2000" that would have helped.

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 09:30 on Apr 7, 2022

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

blatman posted:

the only thing i saw was egg prices going up so this is new horrifying info to me

this is the egg news because i don't remember if i saw it here or somewhere else:

https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/1511134532820480004?t=u99ecsjWKB-vmdMf16cxnA&s=19

nothing like a huge price hike on cheap protein to get people feeling spicy
good. just eat plants

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Limited market: affordable ova

I like this game

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Light-hearted made-up acronym opportunity

Kal
Jun 3, 2007

Flowers For Algeria posted:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Rectal Death Adept posted:

We knew in the mid 2000s that we were headed for 2-2.5 which is why I assume the now obliterated copeline sat at 1.5 to give them a decade or so of peace of mind.
we’re going to be seeing headlines like “A 1.5C World is Still Possible. Here’s How” until at least 2030, and then they’ll slowly be replaced with “Millennials Killed the Dream of 1.5C. Here’s Why That’s OK”

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

large microplastic alveoli occupants

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
The fun thing is how 1.5C was treated as a catastrophic threshold for so long, until the exact moment someone realized we weren't keeping the warming contained anywhere near that amount. Now the new goal of 2C isn't being portrayed in the same way as 1.5 was because that same person knows we aren't hitting that one either

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/ClimateBen/status/1511990559447171076

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

kyojin posted:

Liberal morons arguing obsessively, laughable moderator attempts oversight

Limited mental acuity obvious

boy howdy, D&D really sounds like it's run by a Pangloss who wants to make everyone else into Panglosses

enforced optimism and reality denial is definitely less hosed up than acceptance of our fate, definitely not worse, nope

anyway, to paraphrase Candide,

silicone thrills posted:

All I can do is plant my garden