Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
18 minutes into Human Resources and Nick Kroll has lost the remaining shred of goodwill he earned from me for the Degrassi parodies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/paramountco/status/1511818145576673287

Hold me back.

[e] This one has more replies:

https://twitter.com/StarTrek/status/1511797792326397954

Hillary 2024 fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 7, 2022

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Lmfao

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

'Captain Pike, sensors indicate this planet is populated entirely by apes. And they seem.... bored?'

'Prepare a shore party, Number Two. It's about time we see what Planet Yacht Club is all about.'

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Every NFT is just a Ferengi laughing at you

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Wretched timeline

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

An NFT based on a fictional future where money and possessions have neither meaning or value. It's like the ultimate NFT

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

TheSwizzler posted:

Every NFT is just a Ferengi laughing at you

You have to be a Ferengi to see value in NFTs.

https://twitter.com/joshuamartian/status/1460929458152431622

Hillary 2024 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 7, 2022

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

priznat posted:

Everyone point and lol at this weiner

https://twitter.com/neontaster/status/1511090357941018631

Honestly I think RLM’s dgaf attitude rules. It’s not like you have to give them any money, what a dickhead.

he’s right. It’s for older gen-X folks to put on in the background. It’s a loving cbs show for Christ’s sake. It should be made fun of but I’d rather see some actual technical film and writing critiques mixed with their humor on something actually worth watching, be it because it’s so good or so bad it’s worthy of discussion.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Nuts and Gum posted:

he’s right. It’s for older gen-X folks to put on in the background. It’s a loving cbs show for Christ’s sake. It should be made fun of but I’d rather see some actual technical film and writing critiques mixed with their humor on something actually worth watching, be it because it’s so good or so bad it’s worthy of discussion.

noam blum spotted

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Nuts and Gum posted:

The boys love Trek, Noam

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
in one of the star trek re:views, one of the star trek episodes they talk about reminds mike of an episode of star trek

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

The Trek they love is not Trek anymore, it's a soulless nostalgia cash grab.

They want a show about enlightened people using effortless teamwork to solve high concept sci-fi problems, where the main focus of the show is on the problem itself and how it intelligently reflects the problems of today.

I'd be willing to bet that it probably doesn't have to be Trek related, sci-fi related, or hell even exploration related. But we'll never know because no show even comes close to exist today.

The people have spoken, and they want ACTION, they want CONFLICT, QUIPS, and NOT THINKING TOO HARD. There's no money in a new TNG thesis.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

sure okay posted:

The people have spoken, and they want ACTION, they want CONFLICT, QUIPS, and NOT THINKING TOO HARD. There's no money in a new TNG thesis.

Well, this is what the executives that green light tv shows think people want. The data that either proves or disproves this is under lock and key in some marketing database of these media mega corporations. And even if they are successful, it might just be a self-fulfilling prophecy if the action/conflict/quips formula are the only sci-fi shows being made.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
The discussion about why Picard sucks IS a technical breakdown lmao get the heck outta here

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

sure okay posted:

The Orville's decent

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Dabir posted:

Wretched timeline

An absolutely nightmare

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

shut the gently caress up!!!!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

kalel posted:

shut the gently caress up!!!!

a Unified Platform for Fans of Paramount's Biggest IPs and Franchises

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

not you Hillary, you keep doing you. I'm talking to every corporate executive in America

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
LOL'ed fr in the latest Picard re:View when one of the characters threw back a shot booze. The montage Mike made in a previous vid of all the nu-Trek people constantly drinking alcohol was so fuckin cringe and corny.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

sure okay posted:

They want a show about enlightened people using effortless teamwork

This is the real problem right here. The current saturation of hyper capitalist/hyper individualist as the norm of success means that writing a trek show like the old ones is literally impossible because Hollywood is full of rear end in a top hat failsons who have been told they succeeded on their own merit.

Sure Kirk and Picard are the boss at the end of the day, but they respect and value the abilities and expertise of their crews. They will defer to subordinates regularly on areas they are less knowledgeable in.

Irl we get Musk who screams at his marketing department until they successfully convince enough suckers that Tesla's aren't death traps to keep him in coke money while tweeting that actual heroes are pedos.

So in Picard instead of having a team we have a bunch of assholes that hate each other bickering like children, instead of being an organisation for good Starfleet is corrupt and full of dicks who just want to stop Picard from succeeding as a bold individual going against the grain.

Hopefully the fact that Russia is a terrifying monster again will get the US to collectively pull it's head out if it's rear end re worshipping the false myth of the individual, but probably not.

That was all embarassingly sincere.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

sure okay posted:

They want a show about enlightened people using effortless teamwork to solve high concept sci-fi problems, where the main focus of the show is on the problem itself and how it intelligently reflects the problems of today.

I'd be willing to bet that it probably doesn't have to be Trek related, sci-fi related, or hell even exploration related. But we'll never know because no show even comes close to exist today.

We all need to send Mike copies of Ultraseven

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Kingo Ligma posted:

This is the real problem right here. The current saturation of hyper capitalist/hyper individualist as the norm of success means that writing a trek show like the old ones is literally impossible because Hollywood is full of rear end in a top hat failsons who have been told they succeeded on their own merit.

Sure Kirk and Picard are the boss at the end of the day, but they respect and value the abilities and expertise of their crews. They will defer to subordinates regularly on areas they are less knowledgeable in.

Irl we get Musk who screams at his marketing department until they successfully convince enough suckers that Tesla's aren't death traps to keep him in coke money while tweeting that actual heroes are pedos.

So in Picard instead of having a team we have a bunch of assholes that hate each other bickering like children, instead of being an organisation for good Starfleet is corrupt and full of dicks who just want to stop Picard from succeeding as a bold individual going against the grain.

Hopefully the fact that Russia is a terrifying monster again will get the US to collectively pull it's head out if it's rear end re worshipping the false myth of the individual, but probably not.

That was all embarassingly sincere.

In the "classic" Treks (pre-Abrams), Starfleet was a pan-galactic organization where individuals of all sorts of backgrounds came together for a common cause. To do this they had to sublimate who they were, what they came from for the good of a bigger Federation/Starfleet. In this current era, its Starfleet/Federation that is the umbrella organization that allows the crew/characters express themselves and stand out. The tension of the individual fitting in the organization is gone. Modern Trek has an organization where the individuals, their quirks, idiosyncrasies can let fly and yet the team work stuff gets done somehow.

(edit: not saying this is bad, just that's the mood for Paramount Trek)

You're right about the bickering. Grimdark and gritty is easy and lazy. Classic Trek writers would tell you that it was a chore to write a show where the main characters didn't conflict, but that's what makes it a unique show(s).

Why the gently caress is everyone down on Picard, like he's an entitled old boomer? That's the last thing TNG Picard was. TNG Picard would take a hard look at himself and own up to his bullshit. Where is that commanding presence? Stewart walks around with a perpetual shocked look of surprise.

That optimism is gone. What's the point of saving the future if its the same lovely grim dark as the present?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

infernal machines posted:

See, also: Ten Forward the bar, was named for its address on Earth, which it coincidentally shared with its address on the star ship Enterprise, 500 years later, in space.

the gently caress? Wasn't it just on deck 10 at the front of the ship?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Sagebrush posted:

Khal Drogo and Danerys Targaryen was the only healthy relationship on that entire show

Rmember how "Hodor" was short for "hold the door" lmao

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Vim Fuego posted:

Yes.

I read some posts in TVIV where people would just read episode summaries on Wikipedia for a whole season instead of just watching it as a means of catching up.

I’m pretty sure this is what the writers have done. They just read the wiki on Guinan and saw “bartender of 10 Forward” on Enterprise but they forgot to read the entry on 10 Forward. This would also explain why her personality is totally different on Picard, despite having basically the same personality in the 19th century and 24th century or whenever the gently caress TNG takes place.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Vim Fuego posted:

Rmember how "Hodor" was short for "hold the door" lmao

Kristian Nairn was at DotA 2 Manila Major that year cos there was a comic convention next door and he held open the door for the teams in the grand final. It owned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjUBy_r0p40

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Vim Fuego posted:

If you'd watch Content, you'd have seen the scene they added where Worf says exactly that!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yes.

I read some posts in TVIV where people would just read episode summaries on Wikipedia for a whole season instead of just watching it as a means of catching up.

I’m pretty sure this is what the writers have done. They just read the wiki on Guinan and saw “bartender of 10 Forward” on Enterprise but they forgot to read the entry on 10 Forward. This would also explain why her personality is totally different on Picard, despite having basically the same personality in the 19th century and 24th century or whenever the gently caress TNG takes place.

spock's autobiography was his wiki page edited to be in the first person

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Tunicate posted:

I totally forgot about that. You can’t get away with that poo poo in the age of high definition video when that stuff is noticeable (assuming they cared).

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Tunicate posted:

that's logical

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
If it was just a quick flash on the screen that you couldn't read unless you paused it, they should've been cute and used a page from I Am Not Spock

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

I totally forgot about that. You can’t get away with that poo poo in the age of high definition video when that stuff is noticeable (assuming they cared).

This allows for persistent fans to turn fanon into canon by pushing it to the wiki at crucial moments

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Tunicate posted:

This allows for persistent fans to turn fanon into canon by pushing it to the wiki at crucial moments

"Kirk and Spock used the gravitational power of a dying star to slingshot themselves into the omegaverse. For those of you unfamiliar with knotting and mpreg..."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I've never watched TOS but it's hilarious to learn one of the episodes is a backdoor pilot with the laziest framing device in the world.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

I've never watched TOS but it's hilarious to learn one of the episodes is a backdoor pilot with the laziest framing device in the world.

It’s a bad episode. However overall TOS has more good than bad and I would recommend watching it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Kill All Cops posted:

Kristian Nairn was at DotA 2 Manila Major that year cos there was a comic convention next door and he held open the door for the teams in the grand final. It owned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjUBy_r0p40

so stupid. I kinda like it

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Moon Knight is goofy. Oscar Isaac is all over the place.

I'd love it if this was just an isolated little series. Alas...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

However overall TOS has more good than bad
not according to my sources