Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the federal Election
This poll is closed.
Labor Majority 48 42.48%
Labor Minority 29 25.66%
Liberal Majority 3 2.65%
Liberal Minority 12 10.62%
UAP Majoirty 21 18.58%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The easiest way is to turn the tables and ask them to define what a "man" is. I've seen this done a few times, and it's very effective and I'll probably not do it justice here.

Anyway, you'll probably get a response something like "Well, I think it's pretty obvious." So, you say, "Then it shouldn't be hard for you to do it then."

At this point it goes in any of a couple of different ways:

Talking about penises - then you ask, "So, if a man lost his penis he'd no longer be a man?"

Testosterone - then you ask, "So, if a man lost his testicles he'd no longer be a man?"

Chromosomes - then you ask, "How do you reconcile Klinefelter's syndrome, Turner syndrome or even Y chromosome microdeletion? One in 20,000 people assigned male at birth have no Y chromosome, yet lead normal lives.

It's not up to us to justify people just trying to live their loving lives. It's up to the bigots to try and justify their small minded hate.

scoff. roll their eyes. turn to the audience, "get a load of this guy, everybody knows what a man is" instant win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The easiest way is to turn the tables and ask them to define what a "man" is. I've seen this done a few times, and it's very effective and I'll probably not do it justice here.

Anyway, you'll probably get a response something like "Well, I think it's pretty obvious." So, you say, "Then it shouldn't be hard for you to do it then."

Talking about penises - then you ask, "So, if a man lost his penis he'd no longer be a man?"

Testosterone - then you ask, "So, if a man lost his testicles he'd no longer be a man?"

Chromosomes - then you ask, "How do you reconcile Klinefelter's syndrome, Turner syndrome or even Y chromosome microdeletion? One in 20,000 people assigned male at birth have no Y chromosome, yet lead normal lives.

It's not up to us to justify people just trying to live their loving lives. It's up to the bigots to try and justify their small minded hate.

I've gone this route before, and whilst it makes me feel crazy woke, it usually ends in the person faking a heart attack or having an actual brain seizure as their F's in Grade 8 Science come back to haunt them.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
I thought a man had been formally classified as "a miserable little pile of secrets"?

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The easiest way is to turn the tables and ask them to define what a "man" is.

A featherless biped, duh

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
^^ Diogenes spinning in grave.

bobvonunheil posted:

I thought a man had been formally classified as "a miserable little pile of secrets"?

Scott Morrison confirmed man.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I’ve tried this. The usual retort is “pfft oh come on you know a man when you see one”, often followed by a rant about lefties using big words and thinking they’re soooo smart.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Just call them a dumb oval office and walk away, works every time.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

JBP posted:

Or I could do this.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Bargearse posted:

I’ve tried this. The usual retort is “pfft oh come on you know a man when you see one”, often followed by a rant about lefties using big words and thinking they’re soooo smart.

This is when I whip out one of those androgenous character jokes from a 90s sitcom where the characters spend all episode trying to work out if they're a man or a woman, and they always have a unisex name and surprise, surprise, they're actually a wo/man! Helps to have a couple pictures of them laminated with their name badge on.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

JBP posted:

thread title

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

JBP posted:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Looks like that 18 million dollar scam foundation is going to ensnare a lot of people, to the highest level- the GG himself.

Probably so many people at the highest level are involved, no one will be jailed for it.

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Don Dongington posted:

I mean if they were any good at campaigns, it would be about governance

I haven’t heard ICAC or anti-corruption come up in campaigning discourse. Maybe it’s like casting a stone from a glass house mentality, dirt on corruption will come their way? It is a policy for election on their website.

birdstrike posted:

It’s about aged care, childcare and Medicare, because Labor cares.

Yeah this is their campaign. It’s absolutely necessary yet can seem like a weak rallying point and it’s easy to say it’s predicted to cost 2.5 billion it’s not worth it.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
federal ICAC is a pretty big part of Labor's campaign actually, it's on all their flyers and Albanese has mentioned it a lot

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

lih posted:

federal ICAC is a pretty big part of Labor's campaign actually, it's on all their flyers and Albanese has mentioned it a lot

Sorry, to be clear election discourse - I don’t doubt it’s a priority of Labor and their campaign.

Wherever I’m accessing election news is mostly how corrupt LNP is and less about Labor’s campaign to combat corruption. Could be where I’m accessing the news/election discussion that’s the issue? I don’t know.

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

DP

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
peter dutton is going to be the leader of the opposition after the election and it's going to be terrible

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

every time there's a plague in this country i predict the next one will be frogs, and it's never frogs. but at last, some hope

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/apr/08/record-breaking-wet-season-sees-frog-numbers-in-queensland-leaping-through-the-roof

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Centusin posted:

peter dutton is going to be the leader of the opposition after the election and it's going to be terrible

I think it will be somewhat amusing watching him in opposition getting shat on. He struggles badly when he's not in control.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Centusin posted:

I was going to say there's no way Frydenberg loses his seat if Dutton doesn't, and even the Liberals would never put him in charge over Frydenberg, but actually the centre-right faction will be viewed as responsible for the loss - and if it is a Labor landslide then a lot of the moderates will lose their seats and be further weakened. Though the more of a landslide it is the more likely it is Dutton loses his seat too.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

woofbro posted:

I haven’t heard ICAC or anti-corruption come up in campaigning discourse. Maybe it’s like casting a stone from a glass house mentality, dirt on corruption will come their way? It is a policy for election on their website.

Yeah this is their campaign. It’s absolutely necessary yet can seem like a weak rallying point and it’s easy to say it’s predicted to cost 2.5 billion it’s not worth it.

Spent 5 billion dollars on not getting submarines, anything under 5 billion is now a freebie for the opposition. Aged care? We'll spent less than 5 billion on it and actually get something for your money. Childcare? We'll spend half of 5 billion and still get more service than Morrison got from France, which was nothing.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

freebooter posted:

I was going to say there's no way Frydenberg loses his seat if Dutton doesn't, and even the Liberals would never put him in charge over Frydenberg, but actually the centre-right faction will be viewed as responsible for the loss - and if it is a Labor landslide then a lot of the moderates will lose their seats and be further weakened. Though the more of a landslide it is the more likely it is Dutton loses his seat too.

I think it really depends on how things go in QLD. It's possible that NSW, WA and VIC swing harder against the Libs where the LNP run a local scare campaign about Labor partnering with the Greens to shut down all the mines, which wouldn't resonate as much in places like Peirce and Hasluckin WA, or inner suburban seats over east. Unless QLD responds to the state govt response to COVID vs the Federal lack of, as WA are expected to, I would be honestly surprised by a massive swing, but nothing is really predictable anymore, death is certain, etc.

Edit: Hasluck, not Swan sorry

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
In a hypothetical perfect mega comedy future where both Dutton and Frydenberg manage to lose their seats; who do you think would end up liberal leader?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

The Lord Bude posted:

In a hypothetical perfect mega comedy future where both Dutton and Frydenberg manage to lose their seats; who do you think would end up liberal leader?

hambeet

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Good news everyone, assuming that Morrison calls the election Sunday and doesn't Bradbury his way into another term this is the last week where they have any real non caretaker power.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i'd do a pretty good job i reckon.

it doesn't look that hard tbh.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
I’d say Hawke but he might be too close to Morrison.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Scott Morrison will be PM for three hundred years as the result of a poorly worded pact made with the Hillsong devil

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Supreme Leader Brian Houston

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

Unless QLD responds to the state govt response to COVID vs the Federal lack of, as WA are expected to

Was this much of a factor in Qld? I know in WA a lot of my family are now really against the feds but that was in part because of their backing of the Palmer court case which made the attitudes pretty explicit.

The Lord Bude posted:

I have money down on Houston, Tehan and Hawke (and also Frydenberg as a hedge). If it's not one of those three then it will basically have to be a virtually unknown backbencher who seizes their chance/the poisoned chalice.

edit - hmm I missed that Karen Andrews is an MP, not a senator. Given that I missed her out when I placed my bets is safe to say it will 100% be her.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Lord Bude posted:

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the federal government's relationship with the qld government was never anywhere near as adversarial as it was with wa at the peak of the pandemic, or even with vic and nsw during their repeated lockdowns. there was back & forth about vaccines & opening up dates etc. but not the same direct conflict. frustration with general failings around covid is there but nowhere near to the same level as wa/vic/nsw, and qld leans conservative anyway, which is why all indications are it's still the government's best state by a long way. there still should be a decent swing against them here, just last time was such a high water mark for the government here.

The Lord Bude posted:

probably comes down to paul fletcher (from the moderates) vs. angus taylor (from the right) which lol. so probably taylor, since i would expect the right to have the numbers? would have said alan tudge over taylor except that tudge has the abuse scandal hanging over him.

not impossible that someone like karen andrews or dan tehan runs i guess, they're aligned with morrison but otherwise right-leaning (in comparison frydenberg who's part of morrison's faction but otherwise leans moderate) but i'd expect the right to probably prefer someone like taylor who was a stronger dutton supporter? one of them as deputy seems pretty possible

there is no way in hell it will be hawke who is one of morrison's closest factional allies & is loathed by all other factions for directly instigating the nsw pre-selection drama.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

lih posted:

probably comes down to paul fletcher (from the moderates) vs. angus taylor (from the right) which lol. so probably taylor, since i would expect the right to have the numbers? would have said alan tudge over taylor except that tudge has the abuse scandal hanging over him.

not impossible that someone like karen andrews or dan tehan runs i guess, they're aligned with morrison but otherwise right-leaning (in comparison frydenberg who's part of morrison's faction but otherwise leans moderate) but i'd expect the right to probably prefer someone like taylor who was a stronger dutton supporter? one of them as deputy seems pretty possible

there is no way in hell it will be hawke who is one of morrison's closest factional allies & is loathed by all other factions for directly instigating the nsw pre-selection drama.

This is why the bookies are not the seers some people think they are - odds are simply based on whatever the punters are putting money down on the most, and even most people politically engaged enough to bet on this kind of thing would be unaware of internal factional alignments. Hence why Hawke gets you 51/1 odds while Fletcher is 71/1 and Andrews isn't even an option: https://www.sportsbet.com.au/betting/politics/australian-federal-politics/liberal-leadership-6178293

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Saw a UAP billboard with an actual policy, albeit a hilariously impossible one to guarantee or in fact even want. Was driving so I didn't get a photo but was promising a 3 percent home loan rate cap lmao

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Saw a UAP billboard with an actual policy, albeit a hilariously impossible one to guarantee or in fact even want. Was driving so I didn't get a photo but was promising a 3 percent home loan rate cap lmao

Holy poo poo. I know a tonne of qld'ers who that's going to work on.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Promising the dumbest poo poo that looks good at a cursory glance is how Clive nailed down Fairfax so I genuinely don't doubt they'll pick up at least a senate seat here despite polling showing a potential greens senate pickup

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Have other states been getting his ads about how people outside cities will pay less tax?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/alexischaise/status/1511306142881763339

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

"My telephone has just rung."

Animal Friend fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Senor Tron posted:

Have other states been getting his ads about how people outside cities will pay less tax?

Yep.