Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Robot Style posted:

It's probalby just the Live Action > Cartoon > Live Action (but different) thing, since I haven't seen too many people complaining about the Pykes looking significantly different from the cartoon, and they were never featured in live action before. Though maybe having them introduced with small helmeted heads first in Solo, and then unmasking them in BoBF helped to ease people into the new design.

I never really liked the big huge gusher heads of the old. It looked pretty weird, although I guess it did give them slightly more alien anatomy (while still being straightforward to animate). The fishfaces look better even if it is more obviously a human in a mask. I have no idea how you'd do the giant bulbous fleshy neck and gangly frame without dramatically changing the design for expedience.

I also just like the aesthetics of the fishfaces better than their take on Cad Bane. They made bane look more monster-y with bulbous eyes and teeth that are outright fangs instead of just messy teeth while the live action Pykes looks a lot more expressive and even more nuanced than their take on Cad Bane.

I don't really have an issue with the Inquisitor in Obi-Wan. The original live-action guy that ended up defining the look of the species was just a guy with a long face that the makeup and costuming exaggerated, a lot like how Cardassians got defined by Marc Aleimo's long neck. I guess they didn't just didn't do casting for the new actor by head shape, and honestly it's hard to know what most people's heads are like under their hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't care that it looks different, I'm just bummed that it looks bad. The inquisitior looks bloated and not at all intimidating, at least from the few seconds we saw, which were hopefully just awkward angles or non-ideal lightning. It looks more like a poor execution of the makeup more than anything, though.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Man it's crazy that Lego game is finally coming out. I have an Lego advent calendar with a code for the game, from 2020 I think?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hazo posted:

Do the Dathomir sidequest first if it's your second playthrough. It's really fun to plow through the rest of the game with the two-bladed saber.

Can I do this even if it’s technically my first play through? I played the game when it first came out on my PlayStation and now I’m playing it on my PC because I don’t have the console anymore. I didn’t even remember where you got the double upgrade from. :shobon:

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Anita Dickinme posted:

Can I do this even if it’s technically my first play through? I played the game when it first came out on my PlayStation and now I’m playing it on my PC because I don’t have the console anymore. I didn’t even remember where you got the double upgrade from. :shobon:

Yes! I only said second playthrough because it took me that long to get the hang of the block-and-parrying controls. If you're confident in your fighting skills, just shoot over to Dathomir and go as far as you can. The game won't let you go any further than the double-blade upgrade until you come back later, but it's a struggle. Worth it though to dunk on the dudes in Kashyyyk and Zeffo.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hazo posted:

Yes! I only said second playthrough because it took me that long to get the hang of the block-and-parrying controls. If you're confident in your fighting skills, just shoot over to Dathomir and go as far as you can. The game won't let you go any further than the double-blade upgrade until you come back later, but it's a struggle. Worth it though to dunk on the dudes in Kashyyyk and Zeffo.

I just finished Zeffo so I deffo think I have it under wraps now. :smug: I want that beautiful double saber so I’m heading there now!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Bogano is the best place to get the double saber on the first playthrough but it's fun to get it from Dathomir on later runs.

Larryb posted:

And yes, they did make a Lego The Force Awakens a while back (it was actually pretty good in my opinion)

It's really padded because they have to make a single movie into a whole game but it's pretty good overall. The DLC has a surprising amount of backstory given it's a Lego game.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't really have an issue with the Inquisitor in Obi-Wan. The original live-action guy that ended up defining the look of the species was just a guy with a long face that the makeup and costuming exaggerated, a lot like how Cardassians got defined by Marc Aleimo's long neck.

if you can make a CGI Mark Hamill homunculus, you can make a CGI Barnacle Jim

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Put a green fez covered in ping pong balls on them

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Bogano is the best place to get the double saber on the first playthrough but it's fun to get it from Dathomir on later runs.

It's really padded because they have to make a single movie into a whole game but it's pretty good overall. The DLC has a surprising amount of backstory given it's a Lego game.

I feel like the Force Awakens movie was structured like a videogame, but it would also be very easy to have more plot and exposition than the movie did.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, anyone try out the new Lego game yet? If so, how is it?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, anyone try out the new Lego game yet? If so, how is it?

Hasn't unlocked yet. :( Should be unlocked here in the next 35 minutes.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Love how you have to pay for Mando DLC, but can unlock the Razor Crest with a code (ARVALA7)

Also, try out LIFEDAY, WOOKIEE, WROSHYR, and C3PHOHO

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

thrawn527 posted:

Ah, I didn't play TFA one. Only one I didn't.

I like most of the LEGO games. They're a fun mindless distraction. The LEGO Indiana Jones was the first game I ever got 100% of the achievements for on the XBox (because they're also pretty easy). The only one I ever got bored of and stopped playing was Harry Potter.

I could never finish The Lord of the Rings one.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Vinylshadow posted:

Love how you have to pay for Mando DLC, but can unlock the Razor Crest with a code (ARVALA7)

Also, try out LIFEDAY, WOOKIEE, WROSHYR, and C3PHOHO

Where do I do the codes? I'm just booting up for the first time

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also you can play any episode you want right from the start correct? I know the other 7 have basically been totally remade from their original versions and I’ll likely try them out later but to start with I’m more interested in seeing their takes on the last two sequel movies.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Larryb posted:

Also you can play any episode you want right from the start correct? I know the other 7 have basically been totally remade from their original versions and I’ll likely try them out later but to start with I’m more interested in seeing their takes on the last two sequel movies.

No you have to unlock. Begin either with Ep IV or Ep I.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

mdemone posted:

Where do I do the codes? I'm just booting up for the first time

Pause menu (the key) or the "Extras" tab in the Holoviewer, which has a button prompt to input codes

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

mdemone posted:

No you have to unlock. Begin either with Ep IV or Ep I.

Huh, I could have sworn the early announcements regarding the game said you could start from any episode you wanted to. Ah well (I hear the actual stages are fairly short though)

Edit: Apparently you can start from the beginning of whatever trilogy you want (meaning Episodes 1, 4, or 7)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 5, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Just started, so far the stages are pretty short, unlike Lego TFA most of the dialogue seems to be ripped straight from the movies, the movies themselves are heavily abridged like was the case in the original Lego versions of Episodes 1-6, and the game generally seems to be a lot more focused on combat than it is on puzzles.

Most of the open world stuff is localized to the hub worlds but there seems to be a lot of bonus content (also you can wear the torsos of defeated enemies). Overall I’m having fun with it though

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 5, 2022

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like the Force Awakens movie was structured like a videogame, but it would also be very easy to have more plot and exposition than the movie did.

Sometimes it squeezes levels in between scenes of the movie (there's a whole level about prepping the Falcon to take off from D'Qar) or makes a short scene into a full level (eg Rey on Ach'to). It also chucks in Endor as a tutorial level and some levels about Poe searching for Lor Sann Tekka. It's the kind of thing Lego games have done before but it's more noticeable here because it's one movie being expanded into a full game. The DLC also has stuff like Poe's time on Jakku, how 3PO got his red arm (which is great), some First Order stuff.

It's surprisingly thorough, especially compared to the other movie-based Lego games which were more about hitting the highlights.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also I take back some of what I said about the new game, there’s still a few puzzles involving building things and in stage dialogue but not quite as much of it as there was in Lego TFA (but then again I also sort of like this game’s version of TFA a bit better since it’s a lot less padded)

Not sure if any of the available movie actors leant their voices to the game but if not then most of the soundalikes are pretty close at least (also I believe even the dialogue that comes straight from the movies was re-recorded as well)

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

Also I take back some of what I said about the new game, there’s still a few puzzles involving building things and in stage dialogue but not quite as much of it as there was in Lego TFA (but then again I also sort of like this game’s version of TFA a bit better since it’s a lot less padded)

Not sure if any of the available movie actors leant their voices to the game but if not then most of the soundalikes are pretty close at least (also I believe even the dialogue that comes straight from the movies was re-recorded as well)

Billy Dee, being the beautiful man he is, came back to be Lando but that’s all I’m seeing so far on imbd.

Also the great James Arnold Taylor.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Anita Dickinme posted:

Billy Dee, being the beautiful man he is, came back to be Lando but that’s all I’m seeing so far on imbd.

Also the great James Arnold Taylor.

Tony Daniels of course also once again reprised his role as 3PO and apparently the guy who played Nien Numb along with Yoda’s Clone Wars actor came back as well. Daniel Logan (Boba Fett in the cartoons) and Matthew Wood (Grievous & the Battle Droids) also reprised their roles

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

A lot of the prequel-era VAs are the ones from the shows.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

A lot of the prequel-era VAs are the ones from the shows.

Most of the sequel era actors apparently reprised their roles for Lego TFA but that doesn’t appear to be the case here near as I can tell (the soundalikes are pretty close though)

Off the subject, I like that a lot of the recaps you get upon reloading the game kind of take the piss out of the story a bit (especially in the sequel trilogy)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 6, 2022

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Didn't one of the lego games come out before the prequel movies? I remember playing thru it first before seeing a movie to get the general plot.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Didn't one of the lego games come out before the prequel movies? I remember playing thru it first before seeing a movie to get the general plot.

Yeah the first Lego Star Wars game came out a bit over a month before Revenge of the Sith.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/RedOrbFragment/status/1511507554425208833
https://twitter.com/RedOrbFragment/status/1511701185513746435

:allears:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

So, uh...how about ROTS Anakin?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Larryb posted:

I preferred the original, where no one spoke and Padme's death was communicated by having her eyes turn into X X

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

To be fair, even with voice acting the game never really takes itself that seriously (even in scenes lifted straight from the movies they usually add some kind of visual gag to the mix). Lego TFA was the same way from what I remember

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think the Lego silliness can really come through as strong when there's proper movie quotes cutting through the goofy renditions of scenes. And if they do start putting in their own silly dialogue, it turns into a different kind of parody, which Lego Batman was great, but it's a different thing from what the Lego Star Wars games were going for.

I really liked the Freemaker show and the whole concept of centering plots on the characters engineering ships, and I'd like to see that be made into a game somehow.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts meets Star Wars: DroidWorks

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Robot Style posted:

Star Wars: DroidWorks

Now we're talking. Sunk way too much time into that.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I only had it on a demo disc and still sunk way too much time into replaying the same level over and over again.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I preferred the original, where no one spoke and Padme's death was communicated by having her eyes turn into X X

I really like the style of those older games but it doesn't work as well for the open world approach, or when they want to tell their own stories (eg Marvel Superheroes).

Also I hadn't seen the Pirates of the Caribbean sequels in ages and the plots of the games were hilariously incomprehensible.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Yesterday I watched another episode of the Mandelorian. The Tragedy, or Grogu sits on a rock.

And I think I'll call this episode clunky. But I still greatly enjoyed it. It's just a bit...messy with how some things work. Like the stand off between Fennec/Boba and Mando.
Now put down your jetpack and we'll talk. Why the jetpack? Why not his gun? You put down your guns? Why doesn't Mando retrieve his backpack when poo poo hits the fan? It's easy enough to put on and take off and you'd think he'd like the extra mobility.
Well the end of the episode makes it clear, because the Dark Troopers would fly off and otherwise Mando could follow them. The thing is, they made Mando a one man, nearly indestructible, flying army with near perfect aim so they ran into the Superman problem here.
But also when the Razor Crest gets blown up. (pretty big holy poo poo moment, at this point that's like blowing up the Falcon) It's blown up good as we see at the end, there's literally nothing left near the crater. Yet he manages to find the tiny orb Grogu likes and obviously the Beskar spear is in the middle of the crater looking perfectly fine. I get why for everything, but it feels a little...perfunctory? Is that the word I'm looking for? Like it's going through the motions that you know are coming because they're so well established motions. Like Grogu dropping his force skype call shield the moment Mando leaves.
Same with the Boba and Fennec reveal. Yet, even knowing it was coming watching the Slave-1 fly in was still quite a moment. Same as when Fennec starts showing why she was so dangerous and even more so when Boba shows what he can do once suited up.
Grogu choking and throwing around Storm troopers somehow manages to give me the chills. Please don't fall to the dark side little one. :ohdear:

I do so love how Mando keeps trying to convince himself that he's totally going to bring Grogu to his kind. Which is now definitely the Jedi and no longer his species. They're such a sweet pair. Same with the kind of despair as he tries to take Grogu with him multiple times.

And, having played the original Dark Forces game back when it was new, seeing the Dark Troopers gave me the tingles. I hope they don't disappoint me when they have to engage into battle.
All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed what I got. Battles! Fan service!
2 episodes to go. :smith:

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Darth TNT posted:

And, having played the original Dark Forces game back when it was new, seeing the Dark Troopers gave me the tingles. I hope they don't disappoint me when they have to engage into battle.

Oh boy you're in for a treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Darth TNT posted:

Yesterday I watched another episode of the Mandelorian. The Tragedy, or Grogu sits on a rock.

And I think I'll call this episode clunky.

I'd call it...Maclunkey :c00lbutt: