Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Harold Fjord posted:

It's called Communism and there are many good works on the topic.

That's interesting, and I'm not sure that I buy it, but I'm also having trouble googling any articles discussing home security under either the USSR or communism more broadly. If anybody finds anything I'd be interested to read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Harold Fjord posted:

It's called Communism and there are many good works on the topic.

There is always someone who has more, and there will always be someone who doesn't have it that would want it in any scenario.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The desire to exert control over a personal space and its contents is fundamental to human psychology and cannot be eliminated by political enlightenment, hth

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

LorneReams posted:

There is always someone who has more, and there will always be someone who doesn't have it that would want it in any scenario.

and there are solutions to this problem other than allowing people to publicly cosplay being George Zimmerman.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I mean Sméagol was part of a commune on the outskirts of the Shire and he still killed Déagol over property.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

and there are solutions to this problem other than allowing people to publicly cosplay being George Zimmerman.

No, Communism was presented as the solution, that was the argument. Of course there are other solutions, but the easiest is sometimes just locking your door.

LorneReams fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 7, 2022

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Oh well if a fictional character...

Lmao

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Having a home security sign in front of your house is cosplaying as George Zimmerman? What?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Love the game of telephone argument going on.

Alabama continues to be one of the worst places in the US.

https://twitter.com/sjmichaels/status/1512150262265356289

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

TipTow posted:

Having a home security sign in front of your house is cosplaying as George Zimmerman? What?

"there will always be someone who wants more" is a far cry from "there are conceivable circumstances where you do not need to broadcast how defended your home is."

we are capable of acknowledging George Zimmerman cosplay is not justified, despite the eternal existence of people who want more, yes?

then surely, you can imagine a world where beyond that, it was not necessary for homeowners to put up these lesser totems of protection.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

The only poster who suggested firearms as a means of home security was, as far as I can see, Terminal Autist. I certainly don't think that firearms or aggressively confronting people with them is a good means of home security at all.

A motion sensor light, fake or real camera, and maybe a dog is all I'd ever envision wanting in that regard.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

"there will always be someone who wants more" is a far cry from "there are conceivable circumstances where you do not need to broadcast how defended your home is."

we are capable of acknowledging George Zimmerman cosplay is not justified, despite the eternal existence of people who want more, yes?

then surely, you can imagine a world where beyond that, it was not necessary for homeowners to put up these lesser totems of protection.

Just to be clear here, George Zimmerman saw a black youth walking down the street, called the police, then actively pursued and violently confronted him, and shot him.

You're going to have to elaborate a bit more on how a yard sign is in any way comparable to that, because I don't really see that.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

LorneReams posted:

I mean Sméagol was part of a commune on the outskirts of the Shire and he still killed Déagol over property.

No, Communism was presented as the solution, that was the argument. Of course there are other solutions, but the easiest is sometimes just locking your door.

yes, it was. and from that, you made the leap to "there will always be those who want more."

you have made the connection that the existence of those who want more does not justify the vigilante fantasies of suburbia's best and brightest. the threat, such as it is, does not justify such a violent display of alienation and defensiveness, of publicly setting yourself apart from those you are terrified will take what is yours from you. extend this principle outwards from that point.

what is being proposed is not the abolition of people wanting stuff. a reduction in the degree to which people are in desperate need of your stuff to survive would certainly help, given what we know about the origins of crime, but even under that system there will be those who just want more and are unscrupulous about getting it, and there will ABSOLUTELY be those who have something and are paranoid about losing it.

but you can create a world where the reaction to someone who feels a need to broadcast "step one foot onto my property and the cops are gonna take you away" is 'christ, what a weirdo' rather than satisfied approval.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

the vigilante fantasies of suburbia's best and brightest. the threat, such as it is, does not justify such a violent display of alienation and defensiveness, of publicly setting yourself apart from those you are terrified will take what is yours from you. extend this principle outwards from that point.

but you can create a world where the reaction to someone who feels a need to broadcast "step one foot onto my property and the cops are gonna take you away" is 'christ, what a weirdo' rather than satisfied approval.

Emphasis mine. Wow, I think we're looking at a home security yard sign from two very ,very different angles. When I see one of those all I interpret it as saying is "hey, I have a home security system, FYI". I don't read anything about violence, vigilantism, alienation, or threats of force.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I'll put up threatening signs and leave weapons everywhere but I absolutely will not lock my doors

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

How are u posted:

Emphasis mine. Wow, I think we're looking at a home security yard sign from two very ,very different angles. When I see one of those all I interpret it as saying is "hey, I have a home security system, FYI". I don't read anything about violence, vigilantism, alienation, or threats of force.

The closed drawbridge always looks nicer from the defensive side of the moat.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

How are u posted:

Fish have no word for water.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harold Fjord posted:

Curiously though, they have six for land.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Gort posted:

I'll put up threatening signs and leave weapons everywhere but I absolutely will not lock my doors

Some people in SF put signs on their cars when they park downtown notifying everyone that their doors are not locked because car break ins are so common and they hope the person will just open the door and take their stuff instead of busting the window.

I was very confused when I first saw those signs on a bunch of cars.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

They still don't know what those guys were trying to accomplish, but it seems like they have got to either be Iranian spies or the most generous and unlucky Iranian-immigrant airsoft/networking/firearm/drone/cosplay enthusiasts ever.

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1512156740879589376

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Harold Fjord posted:

Can you explain what you mean by this? We're humans, so we can use words to explain what the hell we're talking about, instead of dropping cryptic remarks and one-liners.

E: Personally, I think the claim that home security signs are actually representative of vigilante fantasies seems like it needs some backing. If anything, it feels like an extension of "paranoid NextDoor poster" stereotypes, extended to assume that literally everyone who has a home security system is exactly the same as those few weirdos whose "saw a black person walking down the street on my doorbell cam, should I call the cops????" posts always show up in NextDoor mock tweets.

Main Paineframe fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 7, 2022

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They still don't know what those guys were trying to accomplish, but it seems like they have got to either be Iranian spies or the most generous and unlucky Iranian-immigrant airsoft/networking/firearm/drone/cosplay enthusiasts ever.

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1512156740879589376

This is all going to be used as a demonstration of why we need to funnel more money to the spooks at various alphabet soup agencies.

:suicide:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Lib and let die posted:

This is all going to be used as a demonstration of why we need to funnel more money to the spooks at various alphabet soup agencies.

Not that I necessarily think they need more money, but I do sure wish the spooks at the alphabet agencies had caught these guys earlier than this, yes. This is some scary stuff.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lib and let die posted:

The U.S. Postal Inspector Office is the one that caught them.

Technically, USPIO is an alphabet abbreviation... :tinfoil:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

How are u posted:

Not that I necessarily think they need more money, but I do sure wish the spooks at the alphabet agencies had caught these guys earlier than this, yes. This is some scary stuff.

I wish they hadn't caught them at all.

But I'm comfortable openly declaring myself an enemy of the united states so :shrug:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Lib and let die posted:

I wish they hadn't caught them at all.

But I'm comfortable openly declaring myself an enemy of the united states so :shrug:

We don't even know what they were planning to do, yet. You are comfortable with the assumption that no matter what it was, you would approve?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

Can you explain what you mean by this? We're humans, so we can use words to explain what the hell we're talking about, instead of dropping cryptic remarks and one-liners.

E: Personally, I think the claim that home security signs are actually representative of vigilante fantasies seems like it needs some backing. If anything, it feels like an extension of "paranoid NextDoor poster" stereotypes, extended to assume that literally everyone who has a home security system is exactly the same as those few weirdos whose "saw a black person walking down the street on my doorbell cam, should I call the cops????" posts always show up in NextDoor mock tweets.

Not so much "representative of" as deriving from the same culture inputs.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm pretty sure the last time a Middle-East-sourced covert operation struck a tangible blow against the US, it did not lead to a quick and clean transition to a leftist utopia

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

How are u posted:

We don't even know what they were planning to do, yet. You are comfortable with the assumption that no matter what it was, you would approve?

Everything we've seen so far seems to indicate that their targets were political, not civilian.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Lib and let die posted:

Everything we've seen so far seems to indicate that their targets were political, not civilian.

So if they 'targeted someone political' you would be fine with it? This comes off as some old school extreme edge lord posting.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Lib and let die posted:

Sorry about the noise. That was the sound of my eyes rolling out of my head.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Please just accept "Willa found it funny because these two signs could very easily demonstrate a humorous hypocrisy". Having a giggle. A goofemup.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Baronash posted:

Sorry about the noise. That was the sound of my eyes rolling out of my head.

Be careful with those! Ocular surgery isn't usually covered in most insurance plans!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Bear Enthusiast posted:

Please just accept "Willa found it funny because these two signs could very easily demonstrate a humorous hypocrisy". Having a giggle. A goofemup.

A guffaw for no particular reason. The dichotomy of a sign and a security system really lays bare the human condition doesn't it?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

We don't actually know who or what they intended to target or that they intended to kill anyone. If they were, and assuming that because they are Iranian they were working for the Iranian government, it wouldn't make a ton of sense for the Iranian government to want to assassinate Jill Biden. Or why they spent a year doing this if they just wanted to hurt people.

It's hard to see anything other than "spy" with rooms full of servers, guns, listening devices, body armor, names of neighbors, and bribing secret service agents; but we don't know anything about them yet except for their names, ages, and nationality. They could be independent weirdos, terrorists, mentally unstable people, or really unlucky eccentrics.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

There's a dramatic racial difference in who feels safe.

Young white people with college degrees who make over $100,000 per year want fewer police; while Black and Hispanic people of all demographics say they don't have enough.

White people were over 2x more likely than Black or Hispanic people to say they need fewer police.

Incredibly confused as how this set of figures got us onto a three page discussion about white paranoia about crime. (Albeit a pretty decent one!) It seems like people in minority neighborhoods are most on-edge about crime. (Also brings to mind the NYC mayoral election where heavily minority areas came out very strongly for the cop over the progressives.)

e: BTW, I wonder how much this phenomenon has played a part in Biden's falling approval ratings among black voters. Although a weird counterpoint to that is that Latino voters are also much more concerned about crime than they were pre-pandemic, but if I recall correctly Biden's approval rating has dropped much less among Latinos than whites or blacks. (And of course, a huge caveat that these are statistics for one metro area.)

\/\/\/\/ Haha, yeah...

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 7, 2022

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Mellow Seas posted:

Incredibly confused as how this set of figures got us onto a three page discussion about white paranoia about crime.

*taps thread title*

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

We don't actually know who or what they intended to target or that they intended to kill anyone. If they were, and assuming that because they are Iranian they were working for the Iranian government, it wouldn't make a ton of sense for the Iranian government to want to assassinate Jill Biden. Or why they spent a year doing this if they just wanted to hurt people.

It's hard to see anything other than "spy" with rooms full of servers, guns, listening devices, body armor, names of neighbors, and bribing secret service agents; but we don't know anything about them yet except for their names, ages, and nationality. They could be independent weirdos, terrorists, mentally unstable people, or really unlucky eccentrics.

Spies seems most likely. A couple of failsons cosplaying as spies seems second most likely.

We should give more money to the postal service inspectors instead of the threewtter agencies it seems.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Spies seems most likely. A couple of failsons cosplaying as spies seems second most likely.

We should give more money to the postal service inspectors instead of the threewtter agencies it seems.

Now there's some increased funding I can get behind.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The funniest/saddest part is that the Secret Service and FBI were totally unaware of these guys for an entire year and they got busted by lying to the Post Office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Just so I know what to do in my home in the future, is locking the front door at night racist? Locking vehicle doors?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)