Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

JamesKPolk posted:

this seems like the same thing to me? just one's code and the other's layout. personally I'm not getting paid to do IP work in either domain so I can't figure out why I should care, especially when there's a financial incentive not to

(the pedal mock up and the lawsuit flurry around the same time are much weirder and I don't want to come off like I'm defending either thing here)

Circuits can’t be copyrighted (imagine if someone copyrighted the light bulb) so analog circuitry is fair game to recreate and modify. For pedals/synths there’s a bit of an honour system and you wouldn’t take someone’s boutique pedal still in production, clone it and flood the market with masses you had fabricated in china for a razor thin margin. So there’s technically legal but very much rear end in a top hat behaviour.

Software is 100% licensed and copyright protected. So lifting someone’s code is just straight up breaking the law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

UncleBlazer posted:

Circuits can’t be copyrighted (imagine if someone copyrighted the light bulb) so analog circuitry is fair game to recreate and modify. For pedals/synths there’s a bit of an honour system and you wouldn’t take someone’s boutique pedal still in production, clone it and flood the market with masses you had fabricated in china for a razor thin margin. So there’s technically legal but very much rear end in a top hat behaviour.

Software is 100% licensed and copyright protected. So lifting someone’s code is just straight up breaking the law.

No argument wrt the legality here, just why is this something I should care about if the rights holders can't be bothered to sue?

Same with the honor system, if I'm not able to make money off designs that are protected by it?

I think these are totally relevant concerns for producers w/ a financial stake in releasing a design (and this is not even getting in to the leakiness of fab shops 2022 versus the economics of keeping it in-house for anything you expect to get real adoption)... but I'm an end user, this stuff doesn't really have anything to do with me.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Oh then I guess it’s just ethics after that. That’s up to you.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

To me it feels like a decision with basically 0 ethical weight either way, but I'm hoping to get more perspective on this from those who don't see things that way

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I mean it's entirely 100% based on ethics tho. The reason circuits aren't protectable is because precedent was established beforehand. Hard to pass law to go "hey this is all illegal now" when it's been happening for ages. Whereas code was protected beforehand. That's the legal poo poo.

The ethical part is "at what point is it okay to profit off the work of others?" and well, you're probably gonna need to solve ethics to get that answer. "If they can't be bothered to protect it" can also be seen as "don't have the money/resources to pursue action" and suddenly smaller designers are in that camp.

You are never going to get a cut and dry answer because there isn't one. You might not feel any issue with copying code or circuits, other people will feel strongly, or mildly, or whatever.

Ethics is hard yo.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Appreciate the response, I hear ya on strong feelings, but I do think these things are worth interrogating (both the ethical issues and our emotional reactions to them). Just to clarify (maybe to split hairs), I'm not talking about cloning something myself. I'm talking about using a clone of something that's already been cloned by someone else.

At which point, it feels like to me (pardon this extremely strained example), the ethical horse has been let out of the barn long ago, but the discussion is still about whether we should close the door... or rather whether the person on the side of the road who was walking to the farm to see the horse and got a great view as it ran by them should have been there a couple hours ago to make sure the barn was actually locked up. I think it's fairly uncontroversial to everyone other than horse-watcher from down the road that things would be better if the barn door had remained closed but I don't see why we're expecting them to be the one responsible for it.

But on self-reflection maybe this is a reaction to being a subject of an economic system that doesn't particularly care about me, but still asks me to care about it... which I have a much harder time saying isn't ethically informed. My opinion (uh oh, maybe this is ethical) is also kind of informed by watching boycotts locally succeed when they were in support of/organized by a striking union, and fail when they were ad hoc things individuals volunteered for. Outside of an organized campaign with goals, it feels like an empty gesture, and nothing wrong with that, but nothing right with it either (it's... empty).

syntaxfunction posted:

I mean it's entirely 100% based on ethics tho. The reason circuits aren't protectable is because precedent was established beforehand. Hard to pass law to go "hey this is all illegal now" when it's been happening for ages. Whereas code was protected beforehand. That's the legal poo poo.

No legal debate here (and I'm familiar w/ the history of legal interpretations that led to this)... but does this feel ethical to you? It doesn't to me. My point here is just if we use the law as an ethical guide we're already starting on the wrong foot.

Anyway thanks for laying that out, Ethics IS hard. But I don't think that means we get to skip thinking about it, discussing it, interrogating our own values etc, even if we aren't ever gonna solve it (in fact I think the opposite, but maybe this is an ethical attitude itself (^: ). Also my next release is gonna have some kinda joke title / cover art about ethically sourced fair trade dsp

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

JamesKPolk posted:

No legal debate here (and I'm familiar w/ the history of legal interpretations that led to this)... but does this feel ethical to you? It doesn't to me. My point here is just if we use the law as an ethical guide we're already starting on the wrong foot.

Anyway thanks for laying that out, Ethics IS hard. But I don't think that means we get to skip thinking about it, discussing it, interrogating our own values etc, even if we aren't ever gonna solve it (in fact I think the opposite, but maybe this is an ethical attitude itself (^: ). Also my next release is gonna have some kinda joke title / cover art about ethically sourced fair trade dsp

Laws can be established and used as precedent, ethics are forever debatable. And one person's code of ethics is another persons signs of flaws. Laws don't establish ethical basis, they're a response to it. Laws use precedented use of technology as establishment for protected property because you gotta do something and that's way more cement than listening to a philosophical debate team.

Ethics are always debated, at some point you need something practical. Whether that lines up with what you personally agree with or not doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

Sometimes we all work with things that aren't perfect for everyone, because at the end of the day you kind of need to do something, or you end up in a libertarian hellscape.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

syntaxfunction posted:

you end up in a libertarian hellscape.

I live in America, so, water under the bridge :v:

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Anyone have any expression pedal recommendations?
I'm not hard on gear typically but I'd like some build quality considering the weight I put in things with my size 13.

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

The Demilich posted:

Anyone have any expression pedal recommendations?
I'm not hard on gear typically but I'd like some build quality considering the weight I put in things with my size 13.

Dunlop DVP3 is solid, the DVP4 is too, but smaller.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Moog EP-3 was/is fantastic @ $20 several years ago and probably still killer @ $50

e: I'm large bodied and footed and its always felt rock solid to me

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

JamesKPolk posted:

Moog EP-3 was/is fantastic @ $20 several years ago and probably still killer @ $50

e: I'm large bodied and footed and its always felt rock solid to me

Seconding this. It’s really good.

polar
Nov 3, 2003
Looking for a battery powered looper.
It's going with a battery powered amp.
Looking at Boss and EHX atm.
Anyone got a couple suggestions?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How many pedals does one actually need? I’ve amassed a few hardware synths, and I’m a recent convert to the importance of a good effects chain.

The only thing I have right now is an NTS-1, and while it’s a great little multi-FX box, I only have one and it takes 3.5mm. I’m coming from the land of DAWs and VSTs, so I’m spoiled by being able to hook any ol’ square wave to a chorus. Not being able to freely drown my drums, FM synth, or bassline in garbage effects makes me a bit sad.

So the alternative is pedals. Am I really going to need like, 3-4 pedals for each physical module I have? That’s gonna get expensive real quickly. I gotta get chorus pedals, phaser pedals, flanger pedals, delay pedals, reverb pedals…

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if you're doing synths i'd probably steer you towards running everything through a mixer with enough aux buses that you can run one to each effect unit. aux A to your chorus, B to one delay, C to another delay, D to reverb, etc. then just turn the appropriate knob on the appropriate channel up.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ohh, I see. That’s what FX Send is. I may outgrow this mixer then, but probably not for a good bit. I don’t need to drown everything in FX anyway.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Right! And you can do fun things if you have the right FX boxes. for example my good reverb/fx box with two channels can use left/right as mono inputs to two different programs, then it can sum the outputs of both of those to one stereo out. So, send 1 goes to left, send 2 goes to right, then i have a stereo return with whatever they're both doing back into the mixer. That way i have one box with say a delay on one send and a reverb on the other, and everything's simple to control.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

You can also use a patch bay, that way you can mix and match what's connected to what

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

polar posted:

Looking for a battery powered looper.
It's going with a battery powered amp.
Looking at Boss and EHX atm.
Anyone got a couple suggestions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RbykZwyzMY

Maybe this would work? You could make any looper battery-operated.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Simone Poodoin posted:

You can also use a patch bay, that way you can mix and match what's connected to what

:thunk: oh man I think I might

I’ve got an NTS-1 and all the effects it has. Delay and Reverb at the same time, then your choice or chorus, phaser, flanger, etc. Wondering what other effects box(es) I need, or maybe I’ll go without for a bit until I find out what I’m missing.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Cross post from the guitar thread as I’m getting no love. Do I need a fancy power supply? Got three pedals but threw away my normal wall plug psu when I stopped playing years ago.

It’s just for home/headphone use.

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010
A daisy chain might work OK for you but it's silly not to have a proper power supply. The MXR M239 mini iso brick is easy to use and inexpensive. 5 ports so it'll give you some room to add more.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Red_Fred posted:

Cross post from the guitar thread as I’m getting no love. Do I need a fancy power supply? Got three pedals but threw away my normal wall plug psu when I stopped playing years ago.

It’s just for home/headphone use.

I got a nice voodoo labs pp2+ and not only did it solve a lot of annoying noise/wiring up headaches but I haven’t had to think about pedal power since. I did have it die once but they fixed it for free way out of warranty. It’s definitely worth it to just commit to a good one and then stop caring about them forever. It’s a boring purchase but worth it.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

An isolated power supply is hard to come back from when you see just how much quieter your pedals are you can’t un hear the daisy chain noise you were getting before.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Thanks for the responses. Sounds like I’ll bite the bullet and get one. Cioks Big John seems like the best of the bunch I can get locally.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Sorry for the double post!

I got some things yesterday:

Got that Big John and the Plumes. Wasn't planning on buying an OD but this thread sold me on the Plumes. It sounds better at home than it did in the store which is nice.

However, I have a bit of buzzing issue. If I connect my NUX plug directly to my guitar, no buzzing. However, if I add any pedals in (like in the above picture) I get a buzz when not touching the strings. The noise gate on the NUX can fix it but seems like it shouldn't happen? This is obviously with a clean amp selected and no effects turned on too.

Don't think it's my cables as I tested using some of my patch cords (NUX > Plumes >patch cord direct into the guitar) and they were even noiser!

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Are the amp and the effects plugged into the same wall outlet?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Kingo Ligma posted:

Are the amp and the effects plugged into the same wall outlet?

No. The amp is that NUX, it's battery powered.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

I bought a Walrus Audio R1 and its BFR setting is awesome. I can really recommend this if you need a versatile reverb for semi ambient stuff.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

I've been borrowing my friend's Roland RE-501 and it's giving me serious GAS. Anyone have any experience with a Strymon Volante? It's a chunk of change, but if it sounds close to a real tape echo, seems worth getting once I have to give this back.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

ricecult posted:

I've been borrowing my friend's Roland RE-501 and it's giving me serious GAS. Anyone have any experience with a Strymon Volante? It's a chunk of change, but if it sounds close to a real tape echo, seems worth getting once I have to give this back.

That Pedal Show on Youtube should have you covered for info. All their videos are about an hour, but they're really good at putting timecodes in the description so you can pick and choose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNHZhIWPSBU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS2ZWpLxkzQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOhwppFabHM

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Also consider an El Capistan if tweaking everything isn't a must, lots of people (me included) find it close enough and they're getting cheaper now that there's competition. And AI Synthesis makes a ~$70 euro breakout for a tape recorder that lets you monitor while you record, that turns it into a delay

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Well I found out the music store down the road from my place is a Strymon dealer, tried it out and got it. I also tried El Cap and Decco, which I liked both of, but Volante is really versatile and able to either replicate (or get very close to) the sounds either of those make. It's cleaner sounding than a real machine but still has vibes.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Carbon Copy it

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Anyone have any echo pedal recommendations? I acquired a desire after hearing the Fuzzlord Space Master Echo, but it's new territory to me and I'm not sure what else is available.

Tap tempo sounds cool, I'd like to have that. I'm unsure if I'll need midi quite honestly, that's new to me as well.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
If you're new to it and just starting exploring just get a carbon copy or a dd3. There's literally 10,000 delay pedals currently on the market and everyone will just tell you whatever they have on their board (mine has an EHX canyon, Boss RE20 and DM2, sometimes an SIB Mr Echo or xvive Memory).

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

There are so many goddamn delays out there. I like the Boss DD7/8 for the feature set and the very solid tones. TCs flashback is another good all in one.

Of the 20 or so I've owned the only one I did not like was the EHX memory boy which felt like an inferior DMM, but I find the DMM sound too bright and clangy anyway.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Has anyone tried the TC Fangs? This thing is cheap as hell but by all accounts sounds pretty good.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Red_Fred posted:

Has anyone tried the TC Fangs? This thing is cheap as hell but by all accounts sounds pretty good.

It's a well built Metalzone clone. That's the long and short. the TC "tank" pedals are solid and well built clones of other pedals, and cheap.

Fangs is the MT-2, Magus is a RAT, Eyemaster is HM-2 (with no eq lol), Honey Pot is a Muff, Rusty Fuzz is a Fuzzface I believe.

They're good pedals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

syntaxfunction posted:

It's a well built Metalzone clone. That's the long and short. the TC "tank" pedals are solid and well built clones of other pedals, and cheap.

Fangs is the MT-2, Magus is a RAT, Eyemaster is HM-2 (with no eq lol), Honey Pot is a Muff, Rusty Fuzz is a Fuzzface I believe.

They're good pedals.

Ah thanks! This probably means I shouldn't get it as I'm trying not to buy pedals that the Helix has already, I'm planning to get a Helix in the near future.