Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

If you like that, you'll love this

wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

fadam posted:

Like, "put a +1/+1 counter on target creature until end of turn" type of thing.

Bounty of the Hunt - green card in the Force of Will cycle - used to do that, then they erratad it to just be three +1/+1 til eot like Seeds of Strength, THEN they erratad it back to the first thing (sorta).

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

flatluigi posted:

indestructible counters already exist and do something different

shield counters are neat and i like seeing what's essentially regenerate back in a 'fixed,' more easy to understand way

It's basically Divine Shield from Hearthstone in a paper form. I wonder if we'll get a creature that gets bonuses when friendly shield counters are removed.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Strictly better Sin Collector if you can swing the mana seems deece.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Getaway Car with Ninjutsu...

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/BomattCourier/status/1512132403497684994

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
this maro article is kind of funny

quote:

Mark used this group to hit the trope of crime on the street (think The Warriors), but it got shifted a bit to people responsible for building the city infrastructure, artisans and builders, rather than leaning into things like street gangs, as that reinforced some stereotypes we wanted to avoid.

quote:

This is the green-centered family, so it focuses on larger crime organizations, ones with a sense of history and tradition. Early on, it leaned more into organized crime (think The Godfather) but shifted to be more about the groups that run the nightclubs, the center of the entertainment in the city. As a running theme, we were sensitive to capture crime tropes without playing into unnecessary stereotypes.

quote:

This was the white-centered family, so it played up the idea of using order to do crime. The faction in its earliest incarnation played up the trope of crooked cops (think LA Confidential), so it represented the police of the city. Looking at the real world and all the associations going on with police, we decided to shift away from police and toward lawyers.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

Have we seen effects that put counters on stuff for a specified amount of time before? I'm certain its possible I just can't think of any right now.

Not really since the point of the counter is to make it different than a temporary bonus. If the bonus is supposed to end, they usually just say when it ends.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

This is a rules change. MaRo has previously said that vehicles can't keep track of who crewed them,

HeyItsAyls
Nov 25, 2011

fadam posted:

Have we seen effects that put counters on stuff for a specified amount of time before? I'm certain its possible I just can't think of any right now.

Shambling Swarm puts -1/-1 counters on up to 3 creatures until end of turn.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Reprint

Common Lands

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Gynovore posted:

This is a rules change. MaRo has previously said that vehicles can't keep track of who crewed them,

Mindlink mech in neo?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Shield tokens remind me of a built in Totem Armor

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

holy moly, this is 2rr win the game???

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

A big flaming stink posted:

holy moly, this is 2rr win the game???

birthing pod chains are wild yea

i'd never seen that accomplice card before

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

fadam posted:

One of the stinkiest pieces of poo poo they've ever printed lol. What a waste of a name :(

Sorcery, under rate, and doesn't go to the face? loving gross.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
we're very early in the set to make strength decisions, but we already know calamity works with blitz very well and i imagine calamity will be cost as if it wasn't a downside more often than not

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Stop putting cool names on dogshit draft chaff Wizards :(

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

dragon enthusiast posted:

eh... would have def preferred the godfather over nightclub gang tbh.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

flatluigi posted:

we're very early in the set to make strength decisions, but we already know calamity works with blitz very well and i imagine calamity will be cost as if it wasn't a downside more often than not

Calamity?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Mat Cauthon posted:

I guess "indestructible counter" was too lengthy but concept seems good.

An indestructible counter could theoretically work for this kind of effect, but you'd have to jump through a lot of other hoops. For instance, if it was just "when this creature gets damaged, remove an indestructible counter from it", that wouldn't save them from lethal damage, so they'd have to add a clunky separate clause to address that.

I wouldn't be surprised if this mechanic started out as removable indestructible counters, before they realised they'd save a lot of words by just making it a new counter type.

When you factor in the existence of shield counters, Light Em Up seems pretty good - if there's a shielded 2/2 out, you can get rid of it by hitting it with both copies, for example. Or kill one creature and remove a shield counter from another. I feel like there are a lot of cards here that people are gonna misevaluate for a while in draft, because of how they look in a vacuum.

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 7, 2022

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

i'm on mobile

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Shield tokens remind me of a built in Totem Armor

Shield tokens fall off from any damage, not just lethal damage. Sort of like the Phantom creatures from Judgement.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Unrelated to spoiler season, but is there a good heuristic/quick math you can do to figure out your chances of getting a hit off a spin effect (Kinnan, Winota, etc.)?

Like if I have ten big payoffs left in my deck, and my library has ~85 cards, and I spin Kinnan, what are my chances of hitting a big payoff?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

fadam posted:

Unrelated to spoiler season, but is there a good heuristic/quick math you can do to figure out your chances of getting a hit off a spin effect (Kinnan, Winota, etc.)?

Like if I have ten big payoffs left in my deck, and my library has ~85 cards, and I spin Kinnan, what are my chances of hitting a big payoff?

A hypergeometric calculator? I used to use those to figure out my odds of drawing lands.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

dragon enthusiast posted:

WotC didn't print a card with "demon" in either the creature type or the card name for 7 years because they were afraid of blowback from bible thumping nutjobs, this is right in line with how risk averse they are.

That said, this is too funny to not run back:

"" posted:

"This was the white-centered family, so it played up the idea of using order to do crime. The faction in its earliest incarnation played up the trope of crooked cops (think LA Confidential), so it represented the police of the city. Looking at the real world and all the associations going on with police, we decided to shift away from police and toward lawyers.

Translation: "Our portrayal of cops as a bunch of thugs in a thinly veiled crime syndicate was too accurate, so we changed it to avoid getting a bunch of mean tweets from FoP and cop unions."

Love living in bootlicker nation.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

LifeLynx posted:

A hypergeometric calculator? I used to use those to figure out my odds of drawing lands.

Did I do this right?

A ~40% chance of getting a hit?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

fadam posted:

Did I do this right?

You'll probably want the bottom one, the chance of one or more hits, so ~47%.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

fadam posted:

Did I do this right?

I think that's the odds for exactly one hit. The bottom one where it's >= 1 is probably what you want. I'm not a maths man though.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah,
37% chance of exactly 1 hit
53% of 0 hits
90% of 1 or 0 hits
10% chance of more then 1 hit
47% chance of at least 1 hit.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Neat, thanks all. Looking forward to tanking even harder on my first main to decide if I want to spin or not 🙏

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Mat Cauthon posted:

WotC didn't print a card with "demon" in either the creature type or the card name for 7 years because they were afraid of blowback from bible thumping nutjobs, this is right in line with how risk averse they are.

That said, this is too funny to not run back:

Translation: "Our portrayal of cops as a bunch of thugs in a thinly veiled crime syndicate was too accurate, so we changed it to avoid getting a bunch of mean tweets from FoP and cop unions."

Love living in bootlicker nation.

To be fair, it also means "no one actually wants to play the police officers breaking people's skulls right now, if we made them that everyone would feel lovely about having to play White in draft". Let's not get unrealistically negative here.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Can someone give me a rough price for this lot? Assume everything is "played":

code:
TOTAL: 211 cards - $596.48 (1 cards missing price)
3 Ancestral Mask [MMQ]
1 Angel's Trumpet [ULG]
1 Atog [3ED]
1 Aura Shards [INV]
2 Backlash [INV]
4 Brainstorm [MMQ]
1 Buried Alive [ODY]
1 Cabal Ritual [TOR]
7 Cabal Therapy [JUD]
1 Camel [ARN]
6 Careful Study [ODY]
1 Censorship [UGL]
3 Cephalid Coliseum [ODY]
2 Chainer's Edict [TOR]
1 Chromatic Sphere [INV]
1 Cloud of Faeries [ULG]
4 Crosis's Catacombs [PLS]
1 Crystal Shard [MRD]
1 Culling the Weak [EXO]
1 Culling the Weak [EXO]
1 Cursed Rack [4ED]
1 Dark Sphere [DRK]
1 Darkpact [3ED]
6 Daze [NMS]
6 Diplomatic Immunity [MMQ]
3 Dragon Arch [APC]
2 Druid's Call [ODY]
1 Duress [USG]
1 Ebon Praetor [FEM]
3 Elfhame Sanctuary [INV]
1 Elvish Vanguard [ONS]
1 Erg Raiders []
4 Fade Away [EXO]
5 Fire // Ice [APC]
1 Fires of Yavimaya [INV]
1 Fires of Yavimaya [INV]
1 Firestorm [WTH]
1 Fleetfoot Panther [PLS]
1 Flickering Ward [TMP]
2 Forest (349) [ODY]
1 Forest (Cloudy) [TMP]
4 Frantic Search [ULG]
1 Gerrard's Verdict [APC]
1 Goblin Bombardment [TMP]
1 Goblin Lackey [USG]
1 Golden Bear [P02]
2 Handcuffs [UGL]
1 Haunted Crossroads [MMQ]
2 Heartstone [STH]
5 Hermit Druid [STH]
2 Hull Breach [PLS]
1 Icatian Skirmishers [FEM]
2 Island (Inlet) [TMP]
1 Kaervek's Spite [VIS]
1 Life // Death [APC]
1 Lifeforce [3ED]
3 Mana Breach [7ED]
2 Mana Breach [EXO]
1 Moment's Peace [ODY]
1 Mountain (Left) [TMP]
1 Mystical Tutor [MIR]
4 Necrologia [7ED]
1 Necromancy [VIS]
10 Nightscape Familiar [PLS]
2 Nimble Mongoose [ODY]
1 Peregrine Drake [USG]
1 Plague Spitter [INV]
1 Plains - Unglued [UGL]
1 Plains (168) [PTK]
1 Plains (333) [ODY]
1 Power Conduit [MRD]
3 Price of Progress [EXO]
1 Propaganda [TMP]
1 Prosperity [VIS]
3 Reconnaissance [EXO]
1 Rhystic Study [PCY]
1 Sadistic Hypnotist [ODY]
1 Sand Silos [FEM]
5 Snap [ULG]
1 Snow-Covered Island [ICE]
1 Snow-Covered Plains [ICE]
1 Snow-Covered Swamp [ICE]
3 Snuff Out [MMQ]
4 Soul Warden [EXO]
1 Spidersilk Armor [MMQ]
1 Spike Feeder [STH]
1 Strands of Night [7ED]
2 Submerge [NMS]
3 Sunscape Familiar [PLS]
2 Swamp (341) [ODY]
1 Swamp (349) [7ED]
1 Swamp (Hanging Moss) [POR]
1 Swamp (Mossy Roots) [MIR]
2 Tainted Isle [TOR]
1 Tainted Peak [TOR]
4 Terminate [PLS]
1 Thwart [MMQ]
1 Treva's Ruins [PLS]
1 Urza's Science Fair Project [UGL]
1 Vault of Whispers [MRD]
1 Wall of Blossoms [STH]
1 Wall of Junk [USG]
1 Wash Out [INV]
1 Web of Inertia [JUD]
2 Wellwisher [ONS]
3 Whip Silk [INV]
4 Wirewood Symbiote [SCG]
1 Zelyon Sword [FEM]
3 Zombie Trailblazer [TOR]
TCGPlayer says around $600, is that accurate?

e: I'm looking to move them, that's what I'm wondering with pricing.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

drat, so "madness engine" the set eh?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

fadam posted:

Like, "put a +1/+1 counter on target creature until end of turn" type of thing.

They wouldn't do this because putting counters on creatures is supposed to make them Bigger and Cooler. The potential design space is so marginal compared to that.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

fadam posted:

I just really hate when they blow cool names on awful cards and then give boring names to really good cards. We deserve to live in a world where Bake into a Pie and You are Already Dead are eternal staples and Assassin's Trophy and Prismatic Ending are forgotten draft chaff.

I'd guess it's because they want the generic names to be reprintable in any set, while the meme names gets silo'd to cards that nobody will miss, especially since we're (again) moving away from core sets.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Fucker posted:

eh... would have def preferred the godfather over nightclub gang tbh.

https://twitter.com/Mengu09/status/1512071041761177612

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

fadam posted:

Michael: Sounds like a good Uba Mask effect.
Dwight: Oh, yeah.
Michael: What's its name?
Dwight: ...Urabrask.
Michael: Your Uba Mask's name is Urabrask..
Dwight: Yep.
Michael: Huh. Sounds a lot like Uba Mask.
Dwight: Maybe that's why it became a Uba Mask.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Today's cards I'm interested in for Standard/Alchemy:

Ob Nixilis, the Adversary if you sacrifice a creature to it, it is a lot for 3 mana. It puts out a lot of material making it very hard to answer with a singe removal spell, but if you get discard 2 or drain 4 going every turn that's a ton of pressure.

Elspeth Resplendent the permanent counters are pretty cool. First strike is great on defense, lifelink is good for racing or stopping drain, flying is good on offense. The -3 is interesting, will have to see it play out. I'm not sure that this card is good, but it's worth trying.

A Little Chat is a very interesting Village Rites/Deadly Dispute variant. You can cycle it without sacrificing anything, and it digs 4. It's also 2 spells for anything that cares about copies.

Gala Greeters is a little all over the place and not fantastic at anything, but repeatable value at 2 cmc on a potential beater is something always worth paying attention to.

Ledger Shredder doesn't need to trigger much to be value, and notably works on either player casting two spells in a turn.

Falco Spara, Pactweaver is interesting because of the shield counter. It's an untap for value creature that is hard to kill, with a pretty good body. Maybe there's a deck that can reliably fuel it that wants the shield counter for surviving wraths.

Courier's Briefcase is almost an inverted Prosperous Inkeeper and the redundancy between the two could power a deck that really wants to cast it's 4s on 3 every time.

Vivien on the Hunt like I said earlier, this feels expensive but also at 5 it would be busted so maybe it's priced right for a few copies to show up here and there.

Jaxis, the Troublemaker basically only for the blitz mode. It's a 2 power haste attack + cycle for 2, or 3 mana discard one draw 2 make a one turn haste clone of something.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 8, 2022