Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All three classes are fun and capable in all situations, the only thing that should influence your decision is the jump mechanics or whoever looks coolest to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Do you want to wear a flowing cape, a sweeping robe, or a little towel on your butt and absolutely gargantuan shoulder pads

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i got into destiny because a) my irl friends play it, b) i heard that general battuta wrote some of it, and c) i like space wizard magic rpgs. i don't really enjoy first person shooter gameplay so almost all of my kills are with builds that loop elemental wells or CWL to cheat cooldowns--stuff like 3x explosive wellmaker voidlock, or heavy-handed/melee wellmaker shoulder charge, and it works fine even in GM strikes and master VOG (obviously not in crucible). i'm sure i'm not strictly the only weirdo in destiny who plays like that either, though it seems pretty rare.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nah that's pretty much the state of destiny right now, making the most ridiculous well builds possible to spam class abilities to get through hard content.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
yeah, but other people are very convinced that this is a bad thing

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Do you want the class ability that shields you from damage, that heals you, or that helps you reload really quickly??

Because... that won't narrow it down either

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

xzzy posted:

Lesson learned: gamers are the only incorruptible force in history.

Why do you think the Ahamkara and Savathun are trying to ascend out of their reality and into ours? They, too, wish to be gamers.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Reiterpallasch posted:

yeah, but other people are very convinced that this is a bad thing

Its truly absurd, there's nothing more fun than throwing a grenade, getting wells, popping dudes who are now bombs thanks to my void rounds, blowing some more up with a captain america shield, getting more wells, and repeating on a fairly short loop

except for the one where Im hammer throwing solar and blow poo poo up thanks to severance enclosure but solar 3.0 isnt out yet

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
And from this desire to be gamers… came the curse

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Thanks for all the tips goons!

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Reiterpallasch posted:

i got into destiny because a) my irl friends play it, b) i heard that general battuta wrote some of it, and c) i like space wizard magic rpgs. i don't really enjoy first person shooter gameplay so almost all of my kills are with builds that loop elemental wells or CWL to cheat cooldowns--stuff like 3x explosive wellmaker voidlock, or heavy-handed/melee wellmaker shoulder charge, and it works fine even in GM strikes and master VOG (obviously not in crucible). i'm sure i'm not strictly the only weirdo in destiny who plays like that either, though it seems pretty rare.

This is one the best goddamn things about the game, seriously.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

PathAsc posted:

This is one the best goddamn things about the game, seriously.

Yeah, that's why I was interested as well. When did he start writing for it, expansion-wise? I kinda wanna just jump to that stuff.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Yeah, that's why I was interested as well. When did he start writing for it, expansion-wise? I kinda wanna just jump to that stuff.

IIRC he started writing item lore in D1 and then he wrote the Books of Sorrow from The Taken King? I'm sure someone can correct me if that's wrong.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Been using Thorn/Striga with the Necrotic Grips for the past week and it really has brought a smile to my face. The Thorn is just fantastic and the Striga just melts everything, it really is a blast to play.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mesadoram posted:

Been using Thorn/Striga with the Necrotic Grips for the past week and it really has brought a smile to my face. The Thorn is just fantastic and the Striga just melts everything, it really is a blast to play.
Put unstoppable handgun on the grips even if you don't need it for champs. If you can fire an unstoppable round, the stagger sometimes applies to the poison tics and explosions.

I haven't tested this extensively, but the poison bursts seemed to be keeping acolytes staggered in wellspring. It doesn't feel like it always works though, maybe if the poison is applied before the gun flashes with the unstoppable round, the non-unstoppable poison keeps going?

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 7, 2022

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Don't let any if these guys fool you, Titans are the best. Warlocks close second only because of the terrible jump.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Most subclasses have at least one Cool Meta Thing they can do in every category (sustain damage, burst damage, durability, survivability, support), and with Void 3.0 showing just how much cross-theme pollination Bungie is willing to do, I'd say that ultimately the question of "what class do I play?" boils down to four things:

1. Jump Ability
2. Super Ability
3. Exotic Armor
4. Fashion

The classes/subclasses certainly aren't homogeneous but are generally capable of filling the same broad roles, so a lot of what to play just comes down to taste.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The aspects make a difference as well. I guess you could build a warlock with the invisibility on finisher & extended effects fragments, but if you play as a hunter there are so many more ways to go invisible. Whereas warlocks have a fragment that just straight up gives you constant devour instead of having to mess about with fragments to get it.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Majere posted:

Don't let any if these guys fool you, Titans are the best. Warlocks close second only because of the terrible jump.

Warlocks don't "jump". They occasionally tap the ground between floats.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Warlocks propel themselves via flatulence and the hot air blowing up their robes keeps them afloat

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Pioneer42 posted:

Warlocks don't "jump". They occasionally tap the ground between floats.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That graphic is completely wack! Warlock jump feels amazing when you get used to it, but actually learning its physical mechanics takes time. There’s no other jump in video games quite like Warlock jump

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Bust Rodd posted:

That graphic is completely wack! Warlock jump feels amazing when you get used to it, but actually learning its physical mechanics takes time. There’s no other jump in video games quite like Warlock jump

Some (most) would say that there's a good reason this is the case.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

My favourite thing about warlock jumping is how sometimes, if you're ever so slightly off the ground (like the ramp leading into the nessus lost sector they halloweened up for festival of the lost), instead of floofing upwards, you gracefully glide straight forward and off the edge to a slow, embarassing doom.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The graphic is conspicuously lacking in any overhangs that the warlock might bump their heads on while trying to achieve upward velocity that effectively guarantee your death because Warlocks cannot recover from a bad jump.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Bust Rodd posted:

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

You know, until you decide to give them Heat Rises, Icarus Dash and an Eager Edge sword.

Then it becomes 'I am everywhere now and the game can't stop me'

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Add in Wings of Sacred Dawn and just hover at the ceiling and watch the poor little scratchy hives run around in confusion like you just stepped on their ant hill.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Oh boy, can't wait to get more Shayura Adepts!! I hope the map is good!

Also it's freelance weekend if you nasty

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Oh boy, can't wait to get more Shayura Adepts!! I hope the map is good!

Also it's freelance weekend if you nasty

Burnout’s the map. Go wild.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Xûr's got a lovely looking Frozen Orbit.

Freelance trials with everyone using crimson will be fun.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Burnout’s the map. Go wild.

Yay!

heated game moment posted:

hueg asss videos of dead messenger in 3s

Burnout seems like a great time to take Dead Messenger & SMG/HC for a spin. What would you recommend for a Titan build as far as subclass, fragments, exotic, mods, etc? This looks super fun and I must try.

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 8, 2022

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Is the Grand Overture catalyst bugged? The text says it adds 20 handling, but the bars show that it adds to stability (and maxes it out with way less than 20 points).

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Paracelsus posted:

Is the Grand Overture catalyst bugged? The text says it adds 20 handling, but the bars show that it adds to stability (and maxes it out with way less than 20 points).

If I've learned anything from playing video games in general and Destiny in particular, the answer is probably yes. Tooltip guy :argh:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Scroll wheel jumping warlock with Tranversive steps, Icarus Dash, eagers edge, and a well has entered the game.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Coldforge posted:

If I've learned anything from playing video games in general and Destiny in particular, the answer is probably yes. Tooltip guy :argh:

It actually adds 10 Reload and 10 ADS Strafe.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Today's legendary lost sector is Exodus Garden; void burn & void shields, very short, not many champs. It's about as straightforward as lost sectors get. If you need an exotic hat or the seasonal challenge, today might be your lucky day.

E: have overload grenades on for the overload champs, they're little shits and overload smgs are still taking way too loving long to stun.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 9, 2022

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
https://twitter.com/DirtyEffinHippy/status/1512579492253863937

If you're sitting on a flawed 7 win confidence passage you will get adept shayura drops. You do not have to go flawless this week, but you will have had to at some previous point in the season to unlock the passage.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The Warlock jump is like having a class that uses R+T held down simultaneously to move forwards instead of just W. It certainly works but there are better ways to do things and solid reasons that control scheme isn't more widely used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Yeah, I love playing as a Warlock but if there was an option to change the way the class jump works I'd do it in a heartbeat and not look back.