Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Snake Maze posted:

I didn’t mess with katanas too much on my arcane build but honestly I think the curved swords are better, weapon arts aside. The dashing and jumping L1s in particular are both fast 4 hit attacks that are great at building up bleed.

if they're better or comparable that's cool. It's been a real fun break from just using a huge hammer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
So I thought I'd ask for help here because this seems like an annoying thing to google:

I did the route to volcano manor that involves the abductor virgin beneath hogwarts, I explored around the area it threw me into cause I didn't find it on my last play through, did the dual virgin abductor fight (that sucked poo poo at level 60) and I wound up outside in Mt Gelmir. Now even though i'm outside I can't actually jump to any way points but I can't find a way back into volcano manor from where I am. How the hell do I get back down to the Liurnia area? Or anywhere else for that matter?

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I think it works like the transporter traps and you just need to rest at a grace. There's one right outside the exit of Volcano Manor from the Abductor Virgins boss room.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

"Ah. Time to cross into the last blanked out map section. It's been a long road, but I guess things are starting to wind down. Hmm... let me check my map and..."

:psyduck:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I got a pile of Tears, maybe I should mess around with some kind of dex-y bleed-y build a bit. Not that I'm not enjoying destroying everything as a katana wizard mind you.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Darth Nat posted:

I think it works like the transporter traps and you just need to rest at a grace. There's one right outside the exit of Volcano Manor from the Abductor Virgins boss room.

that was it! thank you, I thought I'd already rested somewhere but apparently I'd just died a lot.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I finished Raya Lucaria then went back south to explore a bit. In the Mistwood I went inside a building and found a bigass underground area.

After exploring for a while it seems I can't fast travel out of here.

Should I stay or leave? Have I stumbled into some place I'm not really supposed to be yet?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

This platforming in Sad Violin Tomb is like the culmination of a decade of From stubbornly insisting that they can totally do platforming sections and being immediately proven wrong.

Luv 2 slide off a coffin because I landed on a wrong pixel.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Epic High Five posted:

I will never, ever let harm befall my beloved boiled prawn/crab himbo. How could you let someone who looks like this get defiled forever by the dung man??

FemboyPidia

pro tip: if you don't hit the trigger for him to show up in altus (IDK exactly what that is, buying some prawn and getting the gesture? I'm sure someone's figured it out by now) you can progress the dung eater's quest and a generic noble corpse appears instead where he'd be, after which you can become bros safely

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

If you want to make a bleed build, how many arcane points should you be dedicating to it? I know it apparently helps with proc-ing blood but it's not clear to me how many points are worth investing to help with that

Fissurefury
May 27, 2007

The results of these precious, meaty fingers.
Finished the game with powerstanced occult petal whips, and despite some bloodless enemies it still felt like a good difficulty. Especially after doing phase 2 Melania without taking damage after the respec. Simply being able to connect most attacks after using curved swords for so long is just so good.

120 hours to do everything but multiple endings was way more than I expected out of a single playthrough. New game+ will be a nice surgical playthrough.

Might do some pvp on New Game but Ive seen enough dumb poo poo from other players from the 3 invasions I did for bird hell. I wouldn't mind some significant damage dampening against players but I wont speak for the !~*community*~!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I finished Raya Lucaria then went back south to explore a bit. In the Mistwood I went inside a building and found a bigass underground area.

Should I stay or leave? Have I stumbled into some place I'm not really supposed to be yet?

Nah you can go ahead and poke around in here, though you might be slightly underpowered. You should be able to fast travel out once you find a grace though. You are talking about Siofra River right? With the stars up above even though you're underground.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Queering Wheel posted:

If you want to make a bleed build, how many arcane points should you be dedicating to it? I know it apparently helps with proc-ing blood but it's not clear to me how many points are worth investing to help with that

Arcane basically replaces str/dex/faith etc in any builds focused on it, so however much you want for damage once you've got min stats to use things. I think arcane has its bleed softcap at 50?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Snake Maze posted:

Eh, it works okay but if you’re not looking things up it’s very easy to miss the one random dungeon in a previous zone with the bell bearing you needed and get bottlenecked by one tier of stone despite having plenty of the ones above it, or just explore the regions in an order other than the optimal smooth difficulty curve.

It’s more of an issue with normal weapons than somber ones, of course. Maintaining multiple somber weapons is pretty easy if you explore, but leveling 2+ normal weapons almost requires finding the bell bearings.

Leveling 2+ normal weapons is impossible until very late game. Seriously, I do a ton of exploring and sometimes even wiki the stone locations, and halfway through the Mountaintops I've got enough to get my Great Stars to +23 and nothing else above +20. Plus most seals require normal stones too, so unless you want to give up ever casting spells with decent scaling, you can't ever have a second normal weapon that can compete. They literally should have cut the requirements in half.

Somber Stones seem fine, except I wish they scattered more Ancient Somber Smithing Stones outside Haligtree -- I haven't found a single one yet. (And then I've got two regular Ancient Smithing Stones already but need to find 6(!) more Smithing Stone 8s before I can use one. :()

The spirit ash upgrades are kinda weird, too -- just from going through the underground I've got enough Ghost Glovewort to upgrade 2 special ashes to +10, but I still haven't found any regular glovewort past +6. And from a quick google, there's only a single +9 that shows up before the end of Mountaintops.

Also the naming conventions are terrible. You've got:
Ghost Glovewort
Grave Glovewort
Ghost Gravewort
Grave Ghostwort
Great Ghost Glovewort
Great Grave Glovewort
Ghost Great Gravewort
Grave Ghost Glovewort
Ghost Greatwort
Glove Greatwort
Glove Great Ghostwort

it's a mess

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

You can leave, you need to hit the stick in to switch maps.

Fissurefury
May 27, 2007

The results of these precious, meaty fingers.

Queering Wheel posted:

I did 40 Arcane and went occult and didnt feel the need to go further. Went 25 faith to get Golden Vow and rounded out my kit with Stone of Gurranq and some utility incantations.

After a billion hours in this series a good toolkit seems better than getting 5 more damage from a 99 stat.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Queering Wheel posted:

as long as your main weapon scales with Arc, you basically just put as many as you can into it and nothing else. Someone already mentioned the soft cap is 50 and that seems about right. Endurance is your next main stat, I found it even more important than vigour because you can often just trivialise bosses before they get a good shot off if you have enough stamina to just wail on them

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Phenotype posted:

Also the naming conventions are terrible. You've got:
Ghost Glovewort
Grave Glovewort
Ghost Gravewort
Grave Ghostwort
Great Ghost Glovewort
Great Grave Glovewort
Ghost Great Gravewort
Grave Ghost Glovewort
Ghost Greatwort
Glove Greatwort
Glove Great Ghostwort

it's a mess

yeah its extremely dumb and i can only assume that its not as bad in the japanese.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Why can’t I dupe larval tears I just wanna do stupid random builds forever :<

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

yeah its extremely dumb and i can only assume that its not as bad in the japanese.

I think it's made even worse because it's not like "grave" and "ghost" are relative terms. At least with smoothing stones you have regular ones and "somber" ones which you can naturally assume are better.

I beat the game twice and I still can't tell you which glove wort you need to level legendary ashes without looking it up

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Perfect Potato posted:

Honestly the ai in the game is completely hosed in general and is part of the reason the input reading complaint is so prevalent this time. Like in this webm the issue is not really the fireball on estus press, the issue is why the gently caress are these things so drat passive when you're not actually inputting anything. So many enemies just devolve into this bizarre behaviour when they're waiting for you to do literally anything solely to punish you for trying. And it's not even consistent half the time since on some runs they'll dial the aggression up to 11 for no reason. Malenia does this a lot in phase 1 as well but at least there it's more for the duel trappings and to let the player buff and heal

https://i.imgur.com/RvvzrXo.mp4

this can't be reading the estus input, because it starts moving towards you before your estus input was hit. it's doing something towards the end of you getting up - you actually did have time to avoid whatever it was about to do, but you hit the estus after it started moving towards you.

there is input reading in the game but i don't think this is an example of it, other than the fact that the boss doesn't do anything for a while during you not doing anything. it eventually did start doing something before you did.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

The Lone Badger posted:

What strength to go up to when unga-bungaing? 60?

99 strength
99 endurance
10 everything else

MarshyMcFly posted:

I have now become the basic bitch invader! Come at me bro!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iANOV82bfWs

I've actually been having fun in Raya Lucaria. People have a very, very, hard time avoiding rot breath in those hallways.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 8, 2022

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

I have now become the basic bitch invader! Come at me bro!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iANOV82bfWs

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

I'm going to go duel wield with my current dex build and noticed a few streamers doing thing over the past few days. Duel weild axes with Beasts Roar in rh1, and the second ash varied a bit but typically Icerind Hatchet.

A few pages back I asked about axes and why I never see them and the consensus was "they aren't bad but they're inferior to 1h swords"

I'm thinking of going Scavenger's Curvered (Beast Roar) and Serpant-God with Warcry to buff and 5% hp back on kill. I have all the tailsmans to pump up the DPS as well.

From what I can tell, the rational for the axe is that Highlanders Axe gives +dmg to any roar as a passive. Is that +roar from Highlander worth it, or will the above suffice?

edit: I'll do some testing when I'm home tonight but hopefully some nerd did it before me

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
Just got around to watching the conclusion of Joseph Anderson's review and I agree with a lot of what he's said individually but he's really salty about the game not being exactly what he wanted isn't he? I wasn't a huge fan of the last couple of bosses with my build and after switching it up had a lot of fun, but Joseph just hates that he had to switch it up at all apparently.

Then he follows that train wreck of an argument up by going whole hog with Moonveil, the cheesiest sorceries, and summons on a new run and his complaint then is that everything is too easy? I mean gently caress man do you not think to maybe try something less extreme instead of complaining about playstyles at the two ends of the scale? I don't even know what his point was since neither build was forced on him, he made that choice himself by ragequtting his original build when the anger overwhelmed him instead of looking at other tweaks.

He even found a good middle-ground with a heavy weapon and jump attacks but made sure to twist the knife on how bad jump attacks are because you can't see the enemies stagger bar(???) even though they objectively rule and are a great addition to the game. Jumping to dodge is a bit wonky I'll admit, but jump attacks are generally just free damage and stagger if you'd otherwise have to dodge anyway.

I won't argue balance issues in the late-game if you're in that dark souls no-summons purist mindset, or even if you're just adamant that you can make the strategy/build you've used for the rest of the game work until the end credits to an extent, but you can't review a game like this and ignore that tools exist to shift fights in your favor in your conclusion. I particularly liked the "game's too hard, are they trying to make each souls game harder???" comment later being followed by the "game's too easy, hopefully Fromsofts other games keep it real!!!" comment (poorly paraphrased).

It honestly felt like he used the last quarter of the review (and his second playthrough) to justify his frustration and that's a kinda lovely thing to do in a review that millions of people will see.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

The Anime Liker posted:

Elden Ring 3 should pull back the curtain on the FROMiverse and be like

Remember in Demon's Souls when God made this horrible cycle of rebirth and it turns out "God" is an alien tumbleweed and it can be killed?

Remember the same in Dark Souls?

Remember the same in Sekiro?

Remember how Bloodborne seemed different and then, nope, Lovecraft alien "gods".

Remember in Elden Ring when the "gods" were just aliens playing with trees?

Remember how they all had different lores but the end result was everyone reincarnated all the time and death was vague until it was made permanent by a "divine" action?

Yeah. All of it was happening on the same planet. All the "gods" were the same aliens who can manipulate matter, and each game world was just a different ant farm plaything for a different alien.

Now here's a sword. Go kill the final FINAL bosses of SoulsBorneKiroRing and rid earth of all these ridiculous nightmare cycles of reincarnation these alien bastards forced us into.

And the map is just all the games.

Unless it's said otherwise I just assume every game takes place in the same area as the last but so many cycles and years have gone by that everything just kinda rhymes with everything that used to be, like how the game says there used to be ancient stone dragons that ruled over everything like dark souls 1 (until dark souls 1 probably happened and they got wiped out by Gwyn)

Also Basilisks are the horseshoe crabs of the universe, they are the evolutionary pinnacle and nothing has changed them after all this time.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The Gripper posted:

Just got around to watching the conclusion of Joseph Anderson's review and I agree with a lot of what he's said individually but he's really salty about the game not being exactly what he wanted isn't he? I wasn't a huge fan of the last couple of bosses with my build and after switching it up had a lot of fun, but Joseph just hates that he had to switch it up at all apparently.

Then he follows that train wreck of an argument up by going whole hog with Moonveil, the cheesiest sorceries, and summons on a new run and his complaint then is that everything is too easy? I mean gently caress man do you not think to maybe try something less extreme instead of complaining about playstyles at the two ends of the scale? I don't even know what his point was since neither build was forced on him, he made that choice himself by ragequtting his original build when the anger overwhelmed him instead of looking at other tweaks.

He even found a good middle-ground with a heavy weapon and jump attacks but made sure to twist the knife on how bad jump attacks are because you can't see the enemies stagger bar(???) even though they objectively rule and are a great addition to the game. Jumping to dodge is a bit wonky I'll admit, but jump attacks are generally just free damage and stagger if you'd otherwise have to dodge anyway.

I won't argue balance issues in the late-game if you're in that dark souls no-summons purist mindset, or even if you're just adamant that you can make the strategy/build you've used for the rest of the game work until the end credits to an extent, but you can't review a game like this and ignore that tools exist to shift fights in your favor in your conclusion. I particularly liked the "game's too hard, are they trying to make each souls game harder???" comment later being followed by the "game's too easy, hopefully Fromsofts other games keep it real!!!" comment (poorly paraphrased).

It honestly felt like he used the last quarter of the review (and his second playthrough) to justify his frustration and that's a kinda lovely thing to do in a review that millions of people will see.

Listen, if the game isn’t individually curated for the player at the exact level of difficulty and handholding, then it is trash.

Stop reading reviews. It’s an amazing game if you don’t need every minutia to be spelled out for you. It is also a lovely game on a technical level, but that can be mostly overlooked.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

VulgarandStupid posted:

Stop reading reviews.
Never

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there any connection between the Vulgar Militia and the Bloodborne hunters?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah I'm both of them

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

a bit late to general difficulty/boss design chat, but i did want to touch on one criticism i have towards the game

as an unga bunga melee lover, over the course of the game i went from shield + sword, to powerstance greatswords, to powerstance colossal swords. as the game goes on, i start to feel its effectiveness fall off as enemy stagger points become less predictable and enemy damage ramping up to obscene highs. people tout build diversity as a selling point of the game, and i figured i should start splashing in some magic to try and supplement my moveset, but the way stats scale in this game is kind of wack and flexibility comes at a cost.

i'm level 100 as i'm leaving leyndell, and my natural starting point for "splashing in some spells" as a powerstance colossal user is "i should build around the starscourge greatsword, a weapon i got like two dozen hours ago at this point lol". well, i need a lot of str for that, but i'm already doing that anyway so w/e. still need a lot of vigor because everything in this game hits like a truck. i should invest in mind to have the FP to actually use these spells i'm picking up, but much like vigor you don't get any substantial gains until it's over 20, so you want to spend some time going deep into that. then the int requirement to even cast some spells in the first place. great that's 100 levels worth of stats. except oops that doesn't take endurance into account at all so now i can only wear ten pounds of armor before hitting fat rolls and my stamina bar is piss.

ignoring the high requirements for starscourge, the game in general just incentivizes actually Going Deep on a stat, and eventually i settled on bouncing between Even More STR Builds. but that's the thing-- even knowing the general ballpark of what i like, i still bounced between a few things trying to find something that's right for me. it's hard to get a good feel for what you're going to like before respecs, and you have to grind runes just to get your new weapons upgraded up to match what you currently have. it's a commitment, and i'm going to run out of larval tears at some point. i feel discouraged from experimenting due to the effort and resources required just to end up with something that's not really good at everything instead of good at at least one thing

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

96 spacejam posted:

I'm going to go duel wield with my current dex build and noticed a few streamers doing thing over the past few days. Duel weild axes with Beasts Roar in rh1, and the second ash varied a bit but typically Icerind Hatchet.

A few pages back I asked about axes and why I never see them and the consensus was "they aren't bad but they're inferior to 1h swords"

I'm thinking of going Scavenger's Curvered (Beast Roar) and Serpant-God with Warcry to buff and 5% hp back on kill. I have all the tailsmans to pump up the DPS as well.

From what I can tell, the rational for the axe is that Highlanders Axe gives +dmg to any roar as a passive. Is that +roar from Highlander worth it, or will the above suffice?

edit: I'll do some testing when I'm home tonight but hopefully some nerd did it before me

To add, is there a limit to buff stacking? Can I buff myself with a +attk power ash from each weapon and defensive incantations/sorcery?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

The Gripper posted:

how bad jump attacks are because you can't see the enemies stagger bar(???) even though they objectively rule and are a great addition to the game

imo, there should be a stagger meter. it doesn't have to be a big thing. just a small one under the health meter or something.

it's weird. i don't really feel this way in monster hunter. there i'm a hammer main, and i inadvertently play into the meme that i'm just a dumb ape who greedily goes for the head at inopportune times because SURELY this NEXT attack is GOING to be the one that stuns. maybe the punishment in monhun is less drastic than in elden ring. here, most of the time a solid powerstance colossal attack will stagger someone. but it's not always, sometimes it takes two. which is fine. you learn that pretty quick. but do you remember how long your last attack was? was it long enough that the effects of your last attack decayed? by how much? how much stagger damage does it Actually Take to stagger this enemy in the first place?

with a health bar you get a pretty good general sense of "i'm doing this much damage per attack, the next one will kill" or w/e. there's nothing like that for stagger, a system that seems really important in this game for creating openings. i am definitely guilty of running into instances of "i believe my last big attack was recent enough that i can use another one to stagger and interrupt this oncoming attack", except it wasn't recent enough - the opening i thought i was creating is now a trade, and trades are never in your favor. you stagger in one hit, the enemy follows up with more, off a move i wouldn't have made if i had more definite information on hand.

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Apr 8, 2022

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:
Is there an agreed upon spot for slappin down duelist signs? I wanna PvP and potentially against some goons.

E: Oh I guess I can just send a hostile sign to all pools, see if this works.

Mellow_ fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 8, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There should absolutely be a visible stagger bar for every enemy. It's a huge part of combat, and I'm honestly surprised that they don't surface it like they did in Sekiro. Not knowing exactly how close or far a boss is from staggering doesn't make the combat more fun or interesting, it just makes it more frustrating in those moments where you feel like the enemy should be staggered by now but isn't for whatever reason.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Mellow_ posted:

Is there an agreed upon spot for slappin down duelist signs? I wanna PvP and potentially against some goons.

E: Oh I guess I can just send a hostile sign to all pools, see if this works.

The most populated duelist spot to my knowledge is the grace at the start of the academy.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

use the multiplayer filter on the map, look for the big clash symbols. Noth Agheel Lake, the Academy Entrance, and one spot below the dragon outside of the capital gates are really popular.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There should absolutely be a visible stagger bar for every enemy. It's a huge part of combat, and I'm honestly surprised that they don't surface it like they did in Sekiro. Not knowing exactly how close or far a boss is from staggering doesn't make the combat more fun or interesting, it just makes it more frustrating in those moments where you feel like the enemy should be staggered by now but isn't for whatever reason.

There should be waypoints and a journal. Also clippie the paper clip giving you productivity tips. And a Pokédex.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Babe Magnet posted:

use the multiplayer filter on the map, look for the big clash symbols. Noth Agheel Lake, the Academy Entrance, and one spot below the dragon outside of the capital gates are really popular.

Oh awesome, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I played offline my entire first playthrough, and out of curiosity I started a new character and beelined into getting the taunter's tongue. I'm like level 20, with glintstone pebble and a curved sword and just got invaded by somebody wielding Hoslow's petal whip and a Thorned whip and was bloodhound's stepping all over me. They were proccing frost, bleed, and poison all at the same time on me.
My curved sword is +2 and I don't even have a whetstone yet. Hmmm

stratdax fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 8, 2022