Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Magissima posted:

I wonder if there'll be a mechanic for revolutionary waves too, or at least some content like journal entries for an 1848-style event

Edit: it does seem like there are some factors that could cause a wave of revolutions even without a specific mechanic, like a continental economic crisis causing widespread radicalization
Aside from that, I feel like it should be pretty easy to achieve, just by making a revolution in one country grow support and radicalism for similar similar groups in neighboring countries, or countries tied together through trade and/or diplomacy. Not immediately, more making it grow faster as long as the revolutions are ongoing. Would also incentivize cracking down on them if they are not your jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Fray posted:

From Lachek in the thread replies:

Unclear if that means there are some additional considerations in the mechanic, or if they just have specific content for the ACW. But he also says that barring special cases, a normal Revolution does end in one side or the other taking control of the county since that's the usual historical outcome which they aim to model.

Ed: Also, multi-sided revolutions are not in right now, but maybe later. The problem is that Revolutions use the Diplomatic Plays system, and Diplo Plays fundamentally involve two sides.

I would hope that they create a general system that can be applied to other countries too, like China, which had its own and even bloodier civil war at this time.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Fray posted:

Ed: Also, multi-sided revolutions are not in right now, but maybe later. The problem is that Revolutions use the Diplomatic Plays system, and Diplo Plays fundamentally involve two sides.

HOI4: La Resistance has the Spanish Civil War depicted as a 4-way melee where each side is at war with the other 3. It's a cool idea but it doesn't really work well in practice, not least because it's very difficult to balance and it keeps getting broken with patches.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
the thing were a revolution always ends up with one country is kind of rear end, like the american civil war was not going to end with the confederacy annexing the union ever right?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean realistically those two states would never coexist.

It was always one or another.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean realistically those two states would never coexist.

It was always one or another.

Vicky games have had explicit references to Harry Turtledove's alternative history series where the Confederates win the war quickly, gaining international recognition and independence in 1862. The USA and CSA are at each other's throats for the all the novels, of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqYBXrW_5gA

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 7, 2022

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Can't wait for the Victoria 3 event where a bunch of Afrikaaner's show up and hand Robert Lee a crate of AK47s

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

jsoh posted:

the thing were a revolution always ends up with one country is kind of rear end, like the american civil war was not going to end with the confederacy annexing the union ever right?

That's why the ACW is apparently special-cased. Is there another example of a political/non-separatist civil war that could have ended with two viable states in the time period?

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Magissima posted:

That's why the ACW is apparently special-cased. Is there another example of a political/non-separatist civil war that could have ended with two viable states in the time period?

The Chinese warlord era?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Magissima posted:

the russian one? ended with like six more states than it started

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Flappy Bert posted:

The Chinese warlord era?

Yeah, true. China, as always, is hard to represent well.

jsoh posted:

the russian one? ended with like six more states than it started

In game terms those would probably be successful separatist revolts that happened at the same time as the "main" political civil war. There was still only one Russian state at the end.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

jsoh posted:

They said secession will be a different mechanic than revolution

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

They said secession will be a different mechanic than revolution

Which is a bit awkward since there were a lot of attempted independences (some successful, some not) at the same time as a revolution in 1917+ and also tied up to a world war, though I suppose expecting them to model all that would be unreasonable.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

OddObserver posted:

Which is a bit awkward since there were a lot of attempted independences (some successful, some not) at the same time as a revolution in 1917+ and also tied up to a world war, though I suppose expecting them to model all that would be unreasonable.

I suppose it comes down to whether independence movements will be allowed to do their own thing in a nation that's currently experiencing a civil war, and if they are, how it interacts with the civil war. I could see some jankiness arising from a minority cultural group that wants independence being split between both the revolutionary state and the parent state, and it basically treating the locals in each nation as entirely separate independence movements from their respective nations. Which could lead to some weirdness like say, Poland being split down the middle in a German civil war and the Polish pops in the northern and southern half both declaring their own separate wars to liberate Poland, then winning and now there's two Polands.

I feel like an approach that would make sense in general would be that if multiple different independence revolts in different countries are aiming to form the same nation, the breakaway states just all automatically join up as that one nation that ends up at war with every nation that lost territory.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That's too bad about civil wars being an all or nothing thing. Would be really fun to see nations split by revolution, specially with foreign involvement. Russia backs one side of a german revolution, France the other, after a grueling war the country is split east/west aligned with their great power backers.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

With the mechanics described so far, I think you can do it like this:

If revolution is about to happen, check all the groups that could secede. If a group meets some requirements (maybe a lower radicalization threshold than would normally be used), secede their rebel tag. Create diplomatic play between that group and the central government. After all secessionist groups are checked, create the revolution tag. Create a diplomatic play between that tag and each of the groups that seceded. Finish by making the play between the revolution and the central government.

You'll end up with a situation where every secessionist tag is at war with both the original government and the revolutionary government. Even if paradox doesn't add this to the game, it might be possible to do it this way in a mod with an event.

You could if you really wanted to also add an interference graph to check what groups have mutually exclusive territory claims (cough Balkans cough) and make them at war with each other too. That's probably too much effort though

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Magissima posted:

In game terms those would probably be successful separatist revolts that happened at the same time as the "main" political civil war. There was still only one Russian state at the end.

I understand the game also models some sort of coups that don't involve civil wars? Russia had two coups in those terms. Provisional government took power from the monarchy without military action. Then Bolsheviks triggered civil war, but they were kinda in control of the central administration all the time, so it's more like coup with instant civil war?.. And then plenty of countries succeeded without much violence but had their own civil wars, like Finland.

I don't expect any game mechanic to make a proper sense out of it. Perhaps in game terms there was a couple of government switches, then Russia agreed to let go of some succession states, fought its civil war and then quickly captured some of the territories back.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

When is this coming out? Do we have any idea? Is it looking good?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

a fatguy baldspot posted:

No, no, maybe?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

a fatguy baldspot posted:

It won't be coming out in July because the devs will be on summer vacation, and likely won't release in the weeks right before or after July. So I'd say it's either in May or in autumn, and I'm leaning towards autumn as that increases my chances of being positively surprised.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Frequently pronounced "Twenty Twenty Three"

"Victoria" has the same number of syllables as "Twenty Twenty"

"Victoria Three"

Victoria 3 CONFIRMED for 2023

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

ThaumPenguin posted:

It won't be coming out in July because the devs will be on summer vacation, and likely won't release in the weeks right before or after July. So I'd say it's either in May or in autumn, and I'm leaning towards autumn as that increases my chances of being positively surprised.

I think we'd have an announcement by now if the game was coming out next month. Probably they'll begin the final sprint towards release after the summer break.

Also, one thing I realized is that since Revolutions use Diplo Plays, that's a good way for Russia to play Conservative World Police like in real life, so that's cool.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Didn't they say it would be this year or am I misremembering that?

If that's the case I'd assume near the end of the year, or else we'd have a more concrete release date.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd love for it to come out more near the end of the year so it has more time to bake. Every extra month in pre-release development saves probaby 2 months of post-launch DLC/Patch work. I really hope this will be one of those good paradox launches and not "well after 3 years of patches and dlc's and these 12 mods it's starting to shape up" sort of experience.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
To fit the theme of the game, Victoria 3 will be released when a new monarch ascends to the British throne.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
we would be really lucky to see a 2022 release tbh

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Takanago posted:

To fit the theme of the game, Victoria 3 will be released when a new monarch ascends to the British throne.
Is this why they're covering up the queen being dead? Because they know the game isn't ready yet?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Is this why they're covering up the queen being dead? Because they know the game isn't ready yet?

I don't think there is anything wrong with the health of the Swedish queen?

....Though their Crown Princess is called Victoria, huh.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Victoria 3 has entered a new phase

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

ThaumPenguin posted:

This is just cruel, what if someone actually believes you?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

"Restore Imperial Glory" won for the Ottoman AAR, boooo

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

canepazzo posted:

"Restore Imperial Glory" won for the Ottoman AAR, boooo

Personally I was actually hoping for either it or Maximum Tolerance since it's a change of pace from the previous AARs. Trying to get through the Tanzimat Reforms without giving up too much traditional power should be... interesting.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Honestly I’m not suprised the reactionary position won

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

CharlestheHammer posted:

Honestly I’m not suprised the reactionary position won

It was super close though, all 3 options were leading at some point.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Wiz posted:

Personally I was actually hoping for either it or Maximum Tolerance since it's a change of pace from the previous AARs. Trying to get through the Tanzimat Reforms without giving up too much traditional power should be... interesting.

Yeah absolutely not blaming you of course, it was inevitable. I'm actually surprised it was this close!

On the plus side, going to be interesting to see war mechanics front and center.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Wiz posted:

It was super close though, all 3 options were leading at some point.

Well that is cool at least

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
I voted for Imperial Glory, we've already seen modernisation and liberalisation in the other Dev AARs so it'll be interesting to see how it plays going down a more aggressive and reactionary path.

Presumably there will still be some industrialisation, but with a focus on war industries and processing the outputs of conquered extractive regions.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Are the dev AARs collected somewhere, or do I have to dig through Discord?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

meatbag posted:

Are the dev AARs collected somewhere, or do I have to dig through Discord?

From the Victoria 3 subreddit: "Every AAR so far, but you DON'T have to join a Discord filled with annoying people to read them."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

The folks on the V3 discord are generally pretty nice tbh, in my experience.