Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

SIGSEGV posted:

The Castrato Sea seems like the sort of place that has an interesting mythological origin for its name, like the Aegean Sea.

I certainly woudn't have the balls to cross it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Hold up, I can just do this?? I just need to have an Ensanguined Rood in my inventory and I can freely class change a generic into an Angel Knight?! This One Vision mod keeps getting better!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
While we hold our breath waiting for the last chapter, is anyone playing Triangle Strategy? I just realised moments ago that it came out today, but I can't justify buying it with my RPG backlog (same reason for BG3 and the new Pathfinder).

Prowler
May 24, 2004

JustJeff88 posted:

While we hold our breath waiting for the last chapter, is anyone playing Triangle Strategy? I just realised moments ago that it came out today, but I can't justify buying it with my RPG backlog (same reason for BG3 and the new Pathfinder).

I've had it preloaded since last night and am excited to play it once I get done with work.

I technically still need to finish Bravely Default II (I got the bad ending so far, at least), buuuuuuut.....shiny.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Apparently Square Enix has trademarked "Tactics Ogre: Reborn": https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1512088449783721987

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Solumin posted:

Apparently Square Enix has trademarked "Tactics Ogre: Reborn": https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1512088449783721987

If it's the PSP version include some QoL fixes for crafting, skill leveling, and the whole "new jobs join you at level 1, the unit was level 30 in the fight just now? gently caress you" leveling tedium.

Also make Dragon Magic OP like the PSX version because it's not like the CODA won't still take an eternity to finish.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Here's to it not being some NFT collection of concept art.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

SIGSEGV posted:

Here's to it not being some NFT collection of concept art.

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1512089029419810833

99% sure it'll be the PSP version, perhaps with some upscaling if they are feeling frisky.

The good news is that, even if they don't make any real QOL improvements, it being on PC would make it easier to mod...

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
:yeshaha:

Bring all of the games back on PC!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Prowler posted:

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1512089029419810833

99% sure it'll be the PSP version, perhaps with some upscaling if they are feeling frisky.

The good news is that, even if they don't make any real QOL improvements, it being on PC would make it easier to mod...

Hope it's real and looking forward to it

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I wouldn't mind a serious attempt at giving the Ogre series new life beyond just an update of a remake but that's not even a faint hope. Triangle Strategy is interesting but it doesn't have the same flavor to it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
At the risk of sounding an idiot, which one are they remaking? The only one I've ever really played is the PSP one. I know that there was one on the N64; thus ends my knowledge of the series.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’ve had this on my Vita for years but never played it, so I’m pumped if this comes to PC. Speaking of which, I should also play Final Fantasy Tic Tacs at some point.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

JustJeff88 posted:

At the risk of sounding an idiot, which one are they remaking? The only one I've ever really played is the PSP one. I know that there was one on the N64; thus ends my knowledge of the series.

Ok, assuming they are remaking "Tactics Ogre".

As far as I know there are only two "Tactics Ogre" games. The original Let Us Cling Together on PSX, and the prequel Knight of Lodis on GBA. The SNES and N64 games were all "Ogre Battle" games.

The PSX Let Us Cling Together was remade on PSP, also titled Let Us Cling Together. It's often considered the definitive, and is certainly the most well known Ogre game.

So to hazard a guess, it's probably going to be a remake of Let Us Cling Together. However, given the recent Chrono Cross Radical Dreamers re-release, there is a non-zero chance that it will also contain Knight of Lodis.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

akkristor posted:

The SNES and N64 games were all "Ogre Battle" games.
L

Nope.

The original Tactics Ogre was a SNES game that was ported to PSX, hence the weird and terrible lag before many actions.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

akkristor posted:

As far as I know there are only two "Tactics Ogre" games. The original Let Us Cling Together on PSX, and the prequel Knight of Lodis on GBA. The SNES and N64 games were all "Ogre Battle" games.

The PSX Let Us Cling Together was remade on PSP, also titled Let Us Cling Together. It's often considered the definitive, and is certainly the most well known Ogre game.

So to hazard a guess, it's probably going to be a remake of Let Us Cling Together. However, given the recent Chrono Cross Radical Dreamers re-release, there is a non-zero chance that it will also contain Knight of Lodis.

I can’t imagine they’d re-remake LUCT since the PSP version is already a perfect remake save for the grindier poo poo. Gotta figure it’s a release on newer systems but it’ll be largely the same game.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

FairGame posted:

I can’t imagine they’d re-remake LUCT since the PSP version is already a perfect remake save for the grindier poo poo. Gotta figure it’s a release on newer systems but it’ll be largely the same game.

Which in and of itself is a boon. I can't play a PSP/GBA/early DS anymore, all due to the same reasons: ergonomics.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

If I was to play one game, should I choose Final Fantasy Tactics or Tactics Ogre? I know there’s others like Disgaea and Fire Emblem, but those don’t look or feel the same to me. And I guess Triangle Strategy is kinda in that Tactics mold also?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
FFT is near and dear to my heart but the job system can be overwhelming. However the story is linear and one play though will get you the vast majority of the story beats. The only real missables are some equipment that can be stolen from enemies and a couple optional characters

Tactics Ogre is a bit more focused in its class system and (until it’s not) but is branching paths and you can miss tons of characters, gear, and story unless you follow a guide and get real grindy.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
The problem with grind, in my opinion, is the fact that it's all fighting the RNG. Sure, I've played tedious MMOs like EverQuest where you kill the same monsters infinitely for hours for tiny rewards, but the other kind of grind, which is admittedly very common in MMOs also, is where it's about doing the same thing over and over until random chance smiles. RNGesus, I've heard it called. It's a terrible, game-padding bunch of bullshit that's a relic from decades ago yet does not have the good sense to die. Rewards should be deterministic or, at the very very least, every failed attempt should increase the likelihood of success.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Final Fantasy Tactics, I think, is a bit more fun than Tactics Ogre thanks to the classes, but Tactics Ogre has the better overall package (a ton of recruitable characters, different branches, endings; the remake has NG+ a ton of side quests, even more characters, more in-depth mechanics (weather, tile changes based on attacks, stat changes based on the tile you're standing on, etc)).

Give the demo a try if you're curious about Triangle Strategy. I really enjoyed it--I don't regard it as highly as TO/FFT, but I also have to consider that nostalgia may have some effect on that judgement. Like Tactics Ogre, it has tile-based manipulation (e.g. burning grass) and stat modification (e.g. grass increases evade), but takes the former a bit further (e.g. tiles that can be set on fire, water tiles that spread lightning). It also has branching paths based on choices, different endings, NG+ and NG++, weather manipulation.

It just doesn't have as much customization as either game--individual units have their specialty, and they vary quite widely the farther you get into the game.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I would argue that Triangle Strategy, with its characters having a more defined scope/wholly unique abilities rather than a job system, is closer to a Shining Force successor than it is to FFT or Fire Emblem.

It only resembles FFT in the political intrigue, which is still much more low magic than FFT/Fire Emblem/LUCT.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Captain Oblivious posted:

I would argue that Triangle Strategy, with its characters having a more defined scope/wholly unique abilities rather than a job system, is closer to a Shining Force successor than it is to FFT or Fire Emblem.

It only resembles FFT in the political intrigue, which is still much more low magic than FFT/Fire Emblem/LUCT.

Maybe with the class system, yes, but the gameplay and mechanics are way closer to FFT/TO. It's isometric, speed-based (e.g. units have a turn order based on speed stat), tiles have height which affects attack and attack range, units get turn bonuses if no movement and/or action is taken, etc. That's in addition to the many similarities I listed above.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
If any of your are keen for competent if bland TRPGs, try the Mercenay Wings pentad on Switch. They are solid if unspectacular games in that genre. They are at least inexpensive and the first three, which were originally mobile games I believe, are bought together.

quote:

Give the demo a try if you're curious about Triangle Strategy. I really enjoyed it--I don't regard it as highly as TO/FFT, but I also have to consider that nostalgia may have some effect on that judgement. Like Tactics Ogre, it has tile-based manipulation (e.g. burning grass) and stat modification (e.g. grass increases evade), but takes the former a bit further (e.g. tiles that can be set on fire, water tiles that spread lightning). It also has branching paths based on choices, different endings, NG+ and NG++, weather manipulation.

I couldn't justify buying this as my RPG backlog is so ludicrous, but has anyone heard anything about Arcadian Atlas? Another game in this tiny genre, with very nice visuals, but I haven't seen much hype about it.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 8, 2022

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Captain Oblivious posted:

Shining force 1 & 2 & CD are bangers

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

tithin posted:

Shining force 1 & 2 & CD are bangers

I think that Phantasy Star IV still holds up fairly well today. The remakes of 1 & 2 are quite good too. They were PS2 games in Japan only, but there aare English translations. PhSt 3 is an irredeemable train wreck, though.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
I'm too cynical, it seems. I saw the name being copyrighted and I immediately thought "I bet good money it's going to be a mobile phone gacha". :(

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Canopus would be the best pull and I am not taking notes on this statement.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
If we're talking about other games in the genre, I have to bring up God Wars: Future Past, which not only has the distinction of having one of the worst names I've ever seen in gaming, but also just straight up has FFT's combat system (and something very similar to its class system, though every character as far as I got in it has their own unique class as well).

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

ZCKaiser posted:

If we're talking about other games in the genre, I have to bring up God Wars: Future Past, which not only has the distinction of having one of the worst names I've ever seen in gaming, but also just straight up has FFT's combat system (and something very similar to its class system, though every character as far as I got in it has their own unique class as well).

Lame it’s on PS4.

pc master race etc etc

I also don’t love the art style

Fake e: oh it’s on steam

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1038810/GOD_WARS_The_Complete_Legend/

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/concept/10001956

New listing on the Playstation store for "Tactics Ogre: Reborn"
and from the art it is a remake or remaster of Let Us Cling Together!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Can't see it :(

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Sony fixed their oop

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1536521962729549824

akkristor fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 14, 2022

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Let's loving gooooooo

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Sadly, I'm too old and jaded/forgetful, so I can't get excited about a game coming out in 2023/2024 and even if I could I will forget about this project within hours. I can barely remember that the new TMNT game is coming out this week.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

...but the 2010-2011 game was *already* a remake. What more is needed here?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

FairGame posted:

Removal of The Pot

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

It's probably an interest-gauging metric. A remake is significantly less expensive than a new development, but if it sells enough to justify a new installment we may get something new.

The Secret of Mana and Trials of Mana remaster and remake a few years ago served that purpose, and we're supposed to be getting both a mobile side game and a mainline Mana game.

(also hopefully they'll increase item drop rate and fix crafting)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

FoolyCharged posted:

Removal of The Pot

For a brief, bone-chilling moment I thought that you had said 'plot' and I was appalled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

FairGame posted:

A lot of QoL for the massive timesinks in the PSP version? Crafting needs to be "press button, get results" and ideally take and make the subcomponents for you if necessary. gently caress the RNG on CODa drops/appearances. Make them static for story progress. There game is long enough, it doesn't need to take 500+ hours to finish the game,

...speaking of finishing the game, we need a final update still that wraps up this LP right?