Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Propose a different lesson that you could confidently teach that sticks within his theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

"Huge Honor for me!"

I need to get my hands on Gordons mount attacks video series after watching Jacob Couch basically tap to pressure from S-Mount. I keep watching that match; Gordon is a master at getting the arms above the head.

I watched the finish then saw this Danaher video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FbGenSia08

I only glanced through the video once, but I tapped another purple belt today just by working his arm above his head until his shoulder couldn't take it. I made a couple other people suffer.

Its funny because I knew all these details before, but I never put them together in sequence from this position. It really works, and I barely play mount at all.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Count Roland posted:

I only glanced through the video once, but I tapped another purple belt today just by working his arm above his head until his shoulder couldn't take it. I made a couple other people suffer.

Its funny because I knew all these details before, but I never put them together in sequence from this position. It really works, and I barely play mount at all.

Yeah you'll tap from the shoulder pressure first.

I tried trapping both of my training partners arms over their head and that part is the difficulty for me. Getting a single arm is relatively straight forward.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Count Roland posted:

I specifically learned some "how to mount top" stuff similar to a lot of this, once upon a time, and that video makes it all click so much better than ever before. Like broadly these are much the same concepts as I was taught all those years ago, but just way more refined and cohesive — in particular, the initial palm-up cross-grip, and using your head motion to direct/power your structural pressure when separating and then killing their arm. Oh and I was never previously taught to finish the sequence by chest-smothering the opponent in order to provoke unsafe reactions   :black101:

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I'm still too pandemic afraid to grapple plus I got really fat again. Maybe 2023?

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Hellblazer187 posted:

I'm still too pandemic afraid to grapple plus I got really fat again. Maybe 2023?

Numbers in a lot of places are pretty low now and maybe risk is less if you have the vaccine?

Either way, staying safe is a good thing for sure.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Yeah sad truth is I just don't know what happens to make it better than this. In the US at least.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

If you don't consider it safe now you may have to wait a very long time. Covid isn't going anywhere. You will get it at some point, if you haven't already. You basically have the choice between getting the current variant with the current vaccine/medicines against it or waiting for some future variant and future medical responses to it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Had dinner guests for the first time since November last night. 4 of them for 6 people total. Heard a well-confirmed anecdote (as in the sister of my guest who is a medical professional) about someone who was a marathon runner and got omicron while double vaccinated and who now has lung scarring from lung covid and can't climb the stairs. Be careful folks.

And then this morning one of our guests texts us to say her son tested positive this morning and is symptomatic. RIP. No grapples for me for a few days.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

One of my parents is currently in a clinical trial for a combination flu/covid booster shot that would be released yearly. They would replace the yearly flu shots that we get now with the double. This is the new norm, sadly.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Xguard86 posted:

Yeah sad truth is I just don't know what happens to make it better than this. In the US at least.

Which is frankly incredibly depressing.

My gym at least as far as anyone knows has still only had 2 people get covid recently after being there and no known transmissions according to the people I've been talking to there.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

My gym has a vax check for new folks, and is pretty strict about keeping sick people out and cleaning mats. We had breakout cases (I got hit in the omicron wave) and people drop out for a while until they're clear.

Good gyms have good hygiene and protect health. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll ever be in a place without COVID again, so it's sort of about managing risk for yourself and the people around you.

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

My teammate won ADCC trials this weekend. Pretty stoked for him. I'll be going to ADCC in September if anyone wants to hang.

Good Lachlan video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeM3WbYgYOM

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Great interview with Steven Seagal where he basically trashes Jiu Jitsu and goes after Gene LeBell. If youve wondered why he never came back to the US, he kind of goes over that a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gt-7U1ctao

Hes right about one thing: You usually dont want to go to the ground, even in competition. But that doesn't rule out the need to know the ground game...

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 8, 2022

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Why would I want to listen to Steven Seagal trashing jujitsu? You know this is the grappling thread, right?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

I watched it. drat he is insufferable.

Steven Segal: where i come from if someone shittalks you, you go to their dojo and say "one of us is going to die"

Also Steven Segal: Judo Gene hired 50 people to trash talk me in a top secret smear campaign, so I left the United States

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've seen some people who should know, like Icy Mike, say that takedowns and ground fighting are kind overly shunned for self defense, in that yes of course all the truisms about getting soccer kicked while working mount are right, but the anecdotes on YouTube suggests that:

1) when someone attempts a takedown it usually works

2) the person who attempts the takedown usually gets on top

3) the person on top usually wins

And his background is more in kickboxing, so he's not just championing his preferred combat sport

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Count Roland posted:

Why would I want to listen to Steven Seagal trashing jujitsu? You know this is the grappling thread, right?

I found it interesting that someone that seems to hold so dear the bushido/samurai battlefield ethos would ignore the history of the grappling aspects that are so prevalent in the art from that era.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 8, 2022

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I found it interesting that someone who once got choked out and poo poo himself wouldn't respect the ground game

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I'm gonna wait till, uh, I dunno. August. I'm not in the US. We're actually doing better where I live than in the US. But I'm an obese asthmatic so I really do not want to catch covid. I've been on March 2020 level of lockdown... since March 2020. I've been inside of an automobile maybe 10 times since then. I guess in the meantime I can try to tackle the "obese" part of that.

I just miss grappling. I hope I get to do it again. Sorry for complaining itt.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I find it interesting that anybody would respect Steven Seagal’s opinion on any topic at all

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Hellblazer187 posted:

I'm gonna wait till, uh, I dunno. August. I'm not in the US. We're actually doing better where I live than in the US. But I'm an obese asthmatic so I really do not want to catch covid. I've been on March 2020 level of lockdown... since March 2020. I've been inside of an automobile maybe 10 times since then. I guess in the meantime I can try to tackle the "obese" part of that.

I just miss grappling. I hope I get to do it again. Sorry for complaining itt.

Yeah things are tough these days. Stay safe friend.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

stupid question time: anyone considered a pedicure for grappling?

seems like i keep losing toenails and i keep them cut pretty short. i may be cutting them wrong, i don't know. every month or two i seem to rip one off. am i basing wrong, perhaps?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

knuthgrush posted:

seems like i keep losing toenails and i keep them cut pretty short. i may be cutting them wrong, i don't know. every month or two i seem to rip one off. am i basing wrong, perhaps?

Just wear shoes

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

knuthgrush posted:

I've never heard of anyone losing a nail during grappling

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Your entire nail is being torn off, like from the nail bed? Or do you mean you are getting hangnails?

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Just wear shoes

Yes but what about grappling socks AND shoes?

Re: whole nail hang nail, twice it was half of the nail on my left little toe. Tore it perfectly down the middle vertically and half came off. Also lost the entire nail on my ring(?) toe on the right side. Both have grown back. Today I separated the outer corner of nail on my right big toe but it did not come off completely.

Best I can figure is maybe I'm catching the cracks between where the mats align? I said every month or two but looking back it's longer than that due to the healing. Every time it's happened when I had someone in side control or s-mount.

The nails aren't long enough to scratch anybody so I dunno wtf.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

They should be so short that they couldn’t catch on anything if they tried.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

knuthgrush posted:

I have gotten a few, because when you are in the dark arts and you leg locking, you'd better have decent feet for your opponent.

Bonus points if you get your nails painted your belt colour.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
If there's white showing on your nails they need cutting

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Yeah that's generally the rule I follow with it. I'll just watch closer

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Scary time at the local tournament yesterday, my friend got a spiral fracture of the humerus from that scarf hold "leg americana" thing.

Dude was on top of him in scarf hold, had tried the submission once, and then they shifted around and my friend started full throat screaming, when then dude scrambled up off of him my friend's arm was a bit the wrong way around. They're white belts and it was unintentional, the other guy was bawling his eyes out over it.

He has good insurance and the initial opinion at the hospital says it's not too bad so there's that, but still, everyone from his gym, me included, was like three feet away on the edge of the mat when it happened and I know I for one couldn't really sleep last night, be safe everyone :smith:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

My teenage daughter was attacked at school yesterday (another girl ran up to her hand grabbed her hair) and she Osoto Gari'd the girl hard as hell and then got top mount to hold her down until the teacher came over.

The teacher informed be that it looked like some "badass ninja poo poo" and my daughter isn't in trouble because the girl attacked her and the school is taking the stance that my daughter restrained the girl.

What I'm saying is kids who've done BJJ since they were in the single digit ages are terrifying as teenagers that are very comfortable beating your rear end.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

I'll be at ADCC in vegas! Let's rage.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

My teenage daughter was attacked at school yesterday (another girl ran up to her hand grabbed her hair) and she Osoto Gari'd the girl hard as hell and then got top mount to hold her down until the teacher came over.

The teacher informed be that it looked like some "badass ninja poo poo" and my daughter isn't in trouble because the girl attacked her and the school is taking the stance that my daughter restrained the girl.

What I'm saying is kids who've done BJJ since they were in the single digit ages are terrifying as teenagers that are very comfortable beating your rear end.

This owns

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

heeebrew posted:

Sweet! Hope you have a good time.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

Excellent. Was the Osoto Gari learned in the BJJ class?

E: I bet people will think twice before messing with her again

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Count Roland posted:

Excellent. Was the Osoto Gari learned in the BJJ class?

E: I bet people will think twice before messing with her again

Yes. It's like white belt's first take down in our gym (well, hip toss too). So my kids have been doing it since they were single digit ages.

She showed me later in the day. It was Osoto Gari, side control, very cruel knee on belly, mount.

If you roll with teenage girls you know their knees can touch the mat through your stomach.

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

heeebrew posted:

Same. Pretty hyped TBH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Very cool with the daughter defense and adcc both.