Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

There has been a noticeable improvement in the experience in the last month. It's still not perfect but it's getting better at a good pace.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
No email here yet - my pre-order was confirmed T + 11 min. I'm in Canada.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Did you just get that, like is this a week where they're sending Thursday emails?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

JazzFlight posted:

Did you just get that, like is this a week where they're sending Thursday emails?

yeah they’re doing monday/thursday this month iirc

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Did anyone get an email today?

I sure didn’t!

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't get one either.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

Two hours ago

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....
I got an email today as well. Canada, 64GB, pre-order email was 11:36AM MST.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
Mine came today. Only tooled around in Hollow Knight a little to test it out. The down direction sensitivity on the left stick is way different from my old Xbox controller. I've never missed so many pogos...

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

MarcusSA posted:

Did anyone get an email today?

I sure didn’t!

I didn't get my Deck email but I did get two separate wishlist sale notifications that gave me some false hope.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FBS posted:

I didn't get my Deck email but I did get two separate wishlist sale notifications that gave me some false hope.

I’m not due until Q3, but I got fooled today by wishlist mails as well.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Wasn't Steam Big Picture and the Controller interface supposed to get an overhaul with the release of the Deck? Was that postponed, or just a rumor? (Or is that stuff there, but exclusive to the Deck?)

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
I don't like that the tops of the joysticks aren't rubberized. They're way too slick for my taste.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Pretty sure at least one goon in the thread bought some cheap rubber tips for their sticks, you might lose out on the capacitive touch function though if you plan to use that at all.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
Just ordered some. We'll see if they fit.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

Wasn't Steam Big Picture and the Controller interface supposed to get an overhaul with the release of the Deck? Was that postponed, or just a rumor? (Or is that stuff there, but exclusive to the Deck?)

From what I understand, all the improvements are Deck-only for now. I think Valve intends to release SteamOS 3.0 which should include all the improved features for all other devices soon, but they are focusing on the deck for the moment.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

moosferatu posted:

I don't like that the tops of the joysticks aren't rubberized. They're way too slick for my taste.

You can also just get some grip tape. Used for lacrosse/hockey sticks.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Mine arrived today.

Arkham Knight runs great. Could push it up to a consistent 60 fps with lowest settings and highest TDP, but then we're talking literally an hour and a half of battery life. I recommend the game's cap at 60 and then set the system cap at 30 to avoid input lag. The screen is a little too small for the open world to be legible but it's great for challenge maps.

GTAV runs excellently, I can get 60fps on lowest settings at only about 8 watts.

Hades I can go all the way down on TDP and GPU clock and still get 60.

Hitman 3 runs very well, as does Doom Eternal. Very nice to play Doom at a native res on a handheld platform.

Vsync is your enemy here, since there's a system-level framerate limiter anyways there's zero reason you should have it on unless you want free input lag. There are a lot of games you can push to 60 very easily but just aren't worth the cost of battery life. Downloads are pretty inconvenient, it doesn't download in sleep mode and it can hurt the performance of a running game so you basically have to leave it awake and on the downloads screen as you install things. Maybe WinSCP helps with this, I don't know.

It is pretty crazy how fast the SD card reads are in this thing, I have not found an appreciable difference below the NVMe drive, not to say that either are slow.

Downloading Death Stranding and New Vegas now, I'm going to try and spend the weekend getting a bunch of mods installed in New Vegas and seeing how that goes. Gonna be very funny if I can get Tale of Two Wastelands going.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I regret pre-ordering the biggest ssd model but not enough to cancel my early Q2 which hopefully will be up next week. But SD card loading times in the early reviews were really impressive.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Firebert posted:

I regret pre-ordering the biggest ssd model but not enough to cancel my early Q2 which hopefully will be up next week. But SD card loading times in the early reviews were really impressive.

I kinda do and kinda don't. I think the anti glare screen is gonna be helpful for me so that's worth it.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Got mine today too. I know tech has been largely stagnant but it is pretty amazing to me how well it plays Horizon Zero Dawn, a game that taxed the PS4 (I know at comparatively lower settings but still)

There's a lot of power in this little bastard

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Pirate Jet posted:

Mine arrived today.

Arkham Knight runs great. Could push it up to a consistent 60 fps with lowest settings and highest TDP, but then we're talking literally an hour and a half of battery life. I recommend the game's cap at 60 and then set the system cap at 30 to avoid input lag. The screen is a little too small for the open world to be legible but it's great for challenge maps.

GTAV runs excellently, I can get 60fps on lowest settings at only about 8 watts.

Hades I can go all the way down on TDP and GPU clock and still get 60.

Hitman 3 runs very well, as does Doom Eternal. Very nice to play Doom at a native res on a handheld platform.

Vsync is your enemy here, since there's a system-level framerate limiter anyways there's zero reason you should have it on unless you want free input lag. There are a lot of games you can push to 60 very easily but just aren't worth the cost of battery life.
Here’s hoping they add per-game performance settings (or profiles submitted by users like controller configs) so you don’t have to keep tweaking it manually.

It’d be nice to start up a game and just pick between the baseline 30fps battery saver or 60fps performance modes.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

Here’s hoping they add per-game performance settings (or profiles submitted by users like controller configs) so you don’t have to keep tweaking it manually.

It’d be nice to start up a game and just pick between the baseline 30fps battery saver or 60fps performance modes.

I could’ve sworn I heard something about Valve planning that as a feature, but I can’t find it in here - or maybe I’m just dumb. I think it’s very in the realm of possibility for a future update, though.

The software is not ideal but it’s already improved a great deal since launch. I am very impressed with some of the features of the OS so far.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Got mine today too. I know tech has been largely stagnant but it is pretty amazing to me how well it plays Horizon Zero Dawn, a game that taxed the PS4 (I know at comparatively lower settings but still)

There's a lot of power in this little bastard

I dunno if “taxed” is fair to say about HZD on PS4, it ran very well and they even managed to squeeze more life out of the machine for the sequel.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

So far the only thing I don't like about the deck is streaming from your own computer, it's pretty compressed and has some obvious lag.

Streaming Gamepass works fantastic in comparison.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

Azubah posted:

So far the only thing I don't like about the deck is streaming from your own computer, it's pretty compressed and has some obvious lag.

Streaming Gamepass works fantastic in comparison.

Give moonlight or parsec a try. They're miles better than remote play, even in desktop land. My personal preference is moonlight.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
I use moonlight all the time. It’s so good even just for Remote Desktop.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

I could’ve sworn I heard something about Valve planning that as a feature, but I can’t find it in here - or maybe I’m just dumb. I think it’s very in the realm of possibility for a future update, though.

The software is not ideal but it’s already improved a great deal since launch. I am very impressed with some of the features of the OS so far.

AFAIK they are actually planning that which is going to be awesome.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I am having an issue where the left trigger is noticeably spongier and requires more force to press down about two-thirds of the way down its path, in a way that isn't there on the right trigger. This isn't intentional, right? It doesn't happen when the device is off so I don't think it's a haptics feature like on the DualSense.

Is there an easy DIY fix out there? If not... how's the RMA process, I guess? :/

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I paid for mine but haven't gotten a shipping notice email yet. Those of you who got yours already, how quick was the turnaround on it?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

chainchompz posted:

I paid for mine but haven't gotten a shipping notice email yet. Those of you who got yours already, how quick was the turnaround on it?
Mine was here 4 days after the payment step - they sent an email about shipping the day after payment.

Edit: And I'm in the frozen hellscape of Canada even!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The Steam Deck has become a JRPG backlog machine for me recently. I've finished Yakuza: Like A Dragon on the deck and now I'm working through Tales of Arise. The latter looks absolutely phenomenal and is really well-optimized. It's set up by default to go for a 30-fps locked target, but with a few tweaks in the settings you can get to to locked 60 without any noticeable reduction in visual quality.

Edit: Another thing, I could be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure the Steam Deck can tell when you are playing the game or not. Because it doesn't seem to count game time from when it's sitting idle, only when it's in your hands. At least that appears to be the case.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 9, 2022

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

.Ataraxia. posted:

Give moonlight or parsec a try. They're miles better than remote play, even in desktop land. My personal preference is moonlight.

Rad, I'll look into that. I was mainly using the built in steam streaming. If you have both on it gives you the option to stream from your desktop.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

chainchompz posted:

Yeah, it's about 3 days to process the payment and the a day to get shipping sorted. From there you're on your own, pray you don't get a lovely delivery company.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
For anyone in Canada, is there confirmation that this is going through Canada Post, or are we getting stuck with DHL/Fedex?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Azubah posted:

Rad, I'll look into that. I was mainly using the built in steam streaming. If you have both on it gives you the option to stream from your desktop.

I'm using Moonlight (if nothing changed requires nvidia GFE in the host) at home and it streams 4k/60 with usually 2ms delay via 1Gbps lan. Haven't used it via wifi yet but it's very adjustable and stable so I might try once I have a good wifi setup established

first I'm trying to RMA my Deck as the right trackpad FF is just hosed. Hope it will go through.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

TaurusOxford posted:

For anyone in Canada, is there confirmation that this is going through Canada Post, or are we getting stuck with DHL/Fedex?

I got mine through Fedex.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

TaurusOxford posted:

Mine came to Canada via Fedex.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Dramicus posted:

I got mine through Fedex.

Less Fat Luke posted:

Mine came to Canada via Fedex.

Bah. Of course it does. :gonk:

Thanks for the confirmation, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Dramicus posted:

The Steam Deck has become a JRPG backlog machine for me recently. I've finished Yakuza: Like A Dragon on the deck and now I'm working through Tales of Arise. The latter looks absolutely phenomenal and is really well-optimized. It's set up by default to go for a 30-fps locked target, but with a few tweaks in the settings you can get to to locked 60 without any noticeable reduction in visual quality.

Edit: Another thing, I could be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure the Steam Deck can tell when you are playing the game or not. Because it doesn't seem to count game time from when it's sitting idle, only when it's in your hands. At least that appears to be the case.

It's perfect for JRPGs. Theres something so chill about playing them wherever. I'm never in the mood to sit at the pc and play them after work etc. How much battery life are you getting when playing Arise?