Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Kild posted:

after some recent events im glad plutonis is probed

i too am a huge loser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Kaguya is extremely good.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i prefer kizuna ai (RIP)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

she'll be back. when the kizuna ai anime airs on television later this year

marumaru
May 20, 2013

virtual potatoes

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly92cA5XyFE

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

i know the reason for the post

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikZwGscJ1iM

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I watched “Everything Everywhere All At Once” in the theatres and it’s really, really good. It’s not anime but please go watch it.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

These translations are good

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Brutal Garcon posted:

These translations are good

This is art

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
All of Yuasa's animes are really cool and interesting. Devilman made me a bit queasy though, pretty drat intense.

Eizokunen, and The Tatami Galaxy, and Ping Pong are all much more my jam.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
reading black lagoon and it's as epic as I expected. however this scanlator (actually, it might be a pirate English copy, it's weirdly high quality) calls Revy Levy, and it keeps bothering the poo poo out of me. maybe that's just a call the anime localizers made.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh my god the manga has its own sound track lmfao. how come the anime didn't shell out for rob zombie too.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I think that translation also uses the other L/R for Rotan the Wizard, can't remember which way it goes right now lol

I like the gender swap omake in the first volume too, it was funny

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
white ren

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Byaku...ren? Hijiri Byakuren!

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Zoro / Zolo

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao revy's full name is still Rebecca. no matter how many times I come across the l/r thing in Japanese translations it makes me laugh. especially because you think the translator would just fix it in this case.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
A lot of these translators are translating while they read themselves, and when they find they messed up in a later volume, it's not like they can just run a find/replace.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fangz posted:

A lot of these translators are translating while they read themselves, and when they find they messed up in a later volume, it's not like they can just run a find/replace.

yeah, but they keep going with the Levy thing.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I’m going to let them

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Arthur -> Artura -> Artoria -> Altria????

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I love reading Mallory's classic, "Le Morte d'Altru"

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Arthur -> Artura -> Artoria -> Altria????

nasu insisted it be translated as altria

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/SHIHEILIN/status/1512807558339182596?s=20&t=uK6j2SQGoPqNXdQBYjvf0w

Tatsuki Fujimoto has a new 200 page one-shot coming out tomorrow.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Schir posted:

nasu insisted it be translated as altria

it literally got changed back to altria in melty blood type lumina lol. youre not allowed to not use altria because nasua calls you up and gets angry if you do.

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

it literally got changed back to altria in melty blood type lumina lol. youre not allowed to not use altria because nasua calls you up and gets angry if you do.

yeah nasu's pretty insistent about his weird spellings.

though somehow the translators managed to slip in an instance of calling altera atilla that hasn't been fixed yet

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

gundam evo is good

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

gundam evo is good

I didn't get let in to play it presumably because Sydney is a smoking crater still

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

hype

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/speedoru/status/1512785783828238342?s=20&t=uK6j2SQGoPqNXdQBYjvf0w

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/suzume_tojimari/status/1512566053003431942

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Yesterday, I watched the film Millennium Actress, and over the past week, I watched the show Ping Pong: The Animation.

- Millennium Actress is excellent. I still prefer Tokyo Godfathers, but I liked it as much as Perfect Blue and more than Paprika. What an incredible filmography from Satoshi Kon, though. For me, this was just the right mix of comedy and sentimentality. I imagine if I knew more about Japanese cinema, this would've been my favorite film of his.

- Ping Pong is also great. I found the MS Paint-style character art very offputting for the first few episodes, but ultimately the incredible animation, pacing, and character development won me over. The last third of it was such a joyous experience, and Kong Wenge became one of my favorite characters in anime. Shout-out to the ADTRW "best anime of the year" lists; I went through this past winter and grabbed the top item from each year for a backlog, and Ping Pong was on there. I don't think I would've ever watched it otherwise just based on the title and first impression.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c4GAIig9gY

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

surf rock posted:

Yesterday, I watched the film Millennium Actress, and over the past week, I watched the show Ping Pong: The Animation.

- Millennium Actress is excellent. I still prefer Tokyo Godfathers, but I liked it as much as Perfect Blue and more than Paprika. What an incredible filmography from Satoshi Kon, though. For me, this was just the right mix of comedy and sentimentality. I imagine if I knew more about Japanese cinema, this would've been my favorite film of his.

- Ping Pong is also great. I found the MS Paint-style character art very offputting for the first few episodes, but ultimately the incredible animation, pacing, and character development won me over. The last third of it was such a joyous experience, and Kong Wenge became one of my favorite characters in anime. Shout-out to the ADTRW "best anime of the year" lists; I went through this past winter and grabbed the top item from each year for a backlog, and Ping Pong was on there. I don't think I would've ever watched it otherwise just based on the title and first impression.

I really gotta rewatch Millennium Actress at some point. I've seen it a few times and it's my least favorite of his films (but they're all incredible films so that is by no means a diss) but I figure that might change if I became more familiar with the exact era & genre of japanese film he was playing off of. Which I guess is to say, at some point I gotta become Ozu-pilled.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/carrotsprout_/status/1513370082482659333?t=kfwuukh0BzwWxDWBxp37EA&s=19

Just having fun watching films

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Sayonara Eri was good.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I got back into film and shooting videos last year so the one shot was very good for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Sayonara Eri was good.

yeah interesting read